SAILAWAYs - Where are you; what are you doing?

maxxedout2

Just curious, do you have any favorite spots on ship?

Any particular ship, port, activity or cabin?

Any memorable sailaways or any that went wrong?

First cruise we watched from our balcony.

Next, we walked the Lido. Last, we just kicked-back

at aft pool area until seafood buffet.

Any tips you can share here for everyone's next sailaway?

Have a great cruise year in 2011.

:cool::)

On the Princess ships, we always go to the Skywalkers Lounge for sailaway...never many follks there and the best view on the ship...

Our favoarite was on the Emerald as we departed Venice... the Captain took us down a main canal and we were 18(?) stories above the city....

Unless the high winds prevent us from being allowed out there, we usually gather up our traveling companions and a few CC members and stand on top of the Bridge. It is really a great place to be, especially when leaving Fort Lauderdale where a lot of the people are either on the beach or standing on their balconies seeing us off.

We go to the 19th deck where the Princess Links are where we found it is a fabulous view with no plastic protectors to interfere with picture taking. Before that we were going on top of the bridge from Lido deck in the front, but it seems to get windy there fast unlike that on the 19th deck in the aft. If it is rainning we will go to the promenade deck where we can walk from one side to the other.

Even when we have a balcony I love to be on the highest deck for sailaway.

My only funny story was a few years ago leaving from San Juan late (near midnight, as we were delayed) I fell asleep standing up at the railing =:-o

I hadn't had a drop to drink LOL, though I bet people around us must have thought I was drunk.

Generally I like to be up top, usually near the back of the ship or someplace where there's music playing and waiters serving drinks. I love to be around people who have never cruised before when they experience their very first sailaway....it's like watching a kid at Christmas! :):):)

My favorite port to sail out of is Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale - love to be up top on the port side as we sail past those condos with all the people waving and blowing whistles and horns from shore. It's just fun!

My most memorable sailaway was quite a few years ago, sailing on the original (small!) Golden Princess out of Los Angeles on a particularly windy day. We watched from the Promenade deck for a LONG time (maybe an hour) as the pilot clung to a ladder hanging off the side of the ship while the pilot boat tried in vain to pull safely alongside to pick her up. Over and over again it would pull close, but was pitching and rolling so badly that there was no way to pluck the pilot off safely - she would surely have been thrown into the water. It was like watching an adventure movie! I remember wondering why the pilot didn't just stay on board for awhile, rather than risk her life trying to hop off in that weather. Finally after a nervewrackingly long time they managed to pick her up...by that time there were a LOT of passengers and crew watching and there was a huge cheer as she waved and the pilot boat turned back to LA. Picking up the pilot is usually such a simple easy maneuver - I'm sure we've all seen it done many, many times. That was the most treacherous I've ever seen it!

Our tradition has been to share a bottle of champagne at sailaway but recently when we have cruised we haven't had time to chill the bubbly! Our ship was detained in Venice due to strikes in Athens in May so we cruised out of Venice at night. We invited friends to our balcony to view the sailaway ~ it was spectacular with Andre Bottcelli singing on the Princess channel. AMAZING!

I used to love the aft but now that we get a balcony it is wonderful with a glass of wine!!! Karen

When I have a balcony, that is my spot of choice...

Usually I book early dinner, and I've missed sailaways from that....

this time I have an inside cabin and late dining.... so I do not know where I will be come sailaway.... but probably outside somewhere, I like to take pictures.

We like to stand on top of the bridge...love sailing away from NY, under the Verrazzano Bridge. I also like sailing out of Miami, when the cars stop on the highway and the people wave to the ship as it passes by.

On our cruise to Alaska, we sat in the hot tub as we left Seattle. Mt McKinley was a silouette in the distance. Everyone around us was bundled up in Jackets while DH and I leisurely sat in the warm water. People thought we were nuts but we were slightly raised above the other passengers and could see the sailaway perfectly!

That is the most adorable cat video? picture? I have ever seen:):) I came to this thread to learn about favorite sailaway spots (thanks to everyone who shared) We have a mini suit balcony on the port side so that is where we will watch sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale. Can't wait for April!

The past few cruises, we have had our child with us and for that, we always head up to the sailaway party. Since we are taking our youngest daughter on her first cruise in a couple months, I'm sure that's where we will be again.

My two favorite cruise quotes come from my oldest on one of our cruises out of FLL:

"Mommy! Those houses are moving!!!"

and once we passed the condos and saw the FLL beach that you pass on sailaway:

"Is that the beach we are going to?"

:D

My favorite port to sail out of is Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale - love to be up top on the port side as we sail past those condos with all the people waving and blowing whistles and horns from shore. It's just fun!

And love it when you are on a ship that blows its horn back to them, some have and others haven't. Its just more fun when the ship responds.

We normally cruise out of San Juan for our winter cruise..so it leaves between 8-10 pm...very pretty to sail past the Fort, always warm...and watching from outside with a drink in my hand. AFter you sail past the fort, so smooth..and beautiful stars...

FLL is neat to sail out of with the condos and the people blowing horns, etc... but by far for me is San Juan is my fave..

We generally do sail away from top deck if we want to see on both sides of the ship. The two most memorable sailaways for us were Venice on our balcony and a night time sail away from Sydney on deck. Just awesome!:D

Archived