Passport vs Simple ID

vxv0409

I understand the "what if" factor of missing the ship..

However, if you're leaving from let's say New Orleans and you're returning to New Orleans as well do you need a passport or not? Would a drivers license and birth certificate suffice as well?

When you get off the ship do you have to show any I.D. besides your Set Sail Pass?

THANKS!:D

You will need to show a picture id when trying to get back on the ship after you have been to port.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the Set Sail pass would be sufficient on RCCL because I know they take your picture before you board. I appreciate your help Carolin!

Yes it will be sufficient.

BUT what if.....

We had a tragic accidental death in the family once while cruising. Thank heavens we had passports as we needed them to jump on the first airplane home. I can't imagine if we had had to stay on the ship.

Not trying to be a pessimist but always a realist.

Yes it will be sufficient.

BUT what if.....

We had a tragic accidental death in the family once while cruising. Thank heavens we had passports as we needed them to jump on the first airplane home. I can't imagine if we had had to stay on the ship.

Not trying to be a pessimist but always a realist.

You are right. If you don't have a passport, you would have to go to the nearest US embassy and get one before you could fly home from another country. The personnel at the embassy are unlikely to view this as the emergency you feel it is.

You are right. If you don't have a passport, you would have to go to the nearest US embassy and get one before you could fly home from another country. The personnel at the embassy are unlikely to view this as the emergency you feel it is.

Agreed. And while I typically feel it's always necessary to plan for the "what ifs" in life. My fiancee is hard headed and says he does not plan to ever leave the country again. He doesn't want to spend the money on a one time thing. I certainly have a passport, and I'm trying to convince him to. But he doesn't like planning for the what ifs, so I was just clarifying to make sure he'll actually be able to get on board!

There was an interesting thread on a specific cruise line board last week. A group of cruisers arrived at the port (in CA) for a Mexican Riviera cruise with their birth certificates. For whatever reason the authorities rejected one of the ladies' birth certificate (it probably did not have the proper seal etc etc) and they would not allow her to board the ship (and it was her birthday). Her friends went on the cruise and she had to stay home...plus had to eat the cost of the cruise and her transportation to the port. Sure, the US government has made an exception for closed-loop cruises, but you had best have the right kind of birth certificate, not have any kind of emergency that would make you leave the cruise in Mexico (because you cannot fly home from anywhere outside the US without a passport) etc. For those that want to take their chances we say good luck.

Hank

There was an interesting thread on a specific cruise line board last week. A group of cruisers arrived at the port (in CA) for a Mexican Riviera cruise with their birth certificates. For whatever reason the authorities rejected one of the ladies' birth certificate (it probably did not have the proper seal etc etc) and they would not allow her to board the ship (and it was her birthday). Her friends went on the cruise and she had to stay home...plus had to eat the cost of the cruise and her transportation to the port. Sure, the US government has made an exception for closed-loop cruises, but you had best have the right kind of birth certificate, not have any kind of emergency that would make you leave the cruise in Mexico (because you cannot fly home from anywhere outside the US without a passport) etc. For those that want to take their chances we say good luck.

Hank

As was pointed out when you posted about this story on another thread several days ago, the person didn't present a legal birth certificate, it was a hospital-issued certificate. Birth certificates in the US are issued by the government...either the state, county or city, depending on where you live. Pieces of paper from a hospital are souvenirs, not legal documents.

The incident also has the smell of something set up to get publicity. The person was described as an "anti illegal immigration activist". She could have been trying to get media coverage for her "cause". "Look how the government treats its own citizens who want to travel while doing nothing to stop illegal immigration" could easily be the real story line.

Just for clarification, this is directly from the Homeland Security website...

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services."

It's obviously a personal choice whether or not to get a passport for a closed-loop cruise, but this is the part that convinced me to get one...

"Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise."

I sure would hate to have to stay on the ship in a port that I had plans at simply because I didn't have a passport. They're good for 10 yrs so even if I don't need it on our cruise, planning any trips in the future will be a lot more hassle-free. We applied for ours in mid-November, and received them exactly a month later.

J

"Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise."

I sure would hate to have to stay on the ship in a port that I had plans at simply because I didn't have a passport. They're good for 10 yrs so even if I don't need it on our cruise, planning any trips in the future will be a lot more hassle-free. We applied for ours in mid-November, and received them exactly a month later.

Being stuck on the ship while in port won't be a problem. If you require a passport to get off at a port and don't present one when checking in, you aren't getting on the ship in the first place. Same thing if you need a VISA. They don't care if you say you aren't getting off. If you need one and don't have it, you get a nice view of the ship leaving you behind.

Being stuck on the ship while in port won't be a problem. If you require a passport to get off at a port and don't present one when checking in, you aren't getting on the ship in the first place. Same thing if you need a VISA. They don't care if you say you aren't getting off. If you need one and don't have it, you get a nice view of the ship leaving you behind.

Thank you for pointing that out. :)

My biggest thing was I wanted to be sure there is NOTHING that will mess up my cruise in a big way. I can get over the lack of Mike's Hard Lemonade on the ship, but not enjoying myself on my vacation (or not having one at all and wasting a LOT of money!) would really suck.

It depends on the country. We had several people stay on the Ocean Princess in 2009 when we were in India because they did not have a visa.

Just as an aside to this - if you are a married female and are presenting a picture ID and birth certificate (vs. passport)- you will also need your marriage license.

When I went on my first cruise last year - I asked the same question. Got mixed answers as to whether or not I actually needed the marriage certificate. Seeing that my birth ceritifcate has a different name than my picture ID :rolleyes: duh - Well I took it "just in case" (rather have and not need vs. not having and needing). Lo and behold they DID ask for it.

I'm sure the best solution is to get a passport and all worries are taken care of - but short of that - valid picture ID, valid state-issued raised seal birth certificate and marriage license for married females.

Now - enjoy your cruise :o

Group of friends, 12 of them supposed to board a ship this past Tuesday. Blizzard hit the northeast so their flight was cancelled. First two days at sea.

Ten members of the group just took off for their first port of call in Aruba and will board the ship with likely hundreds of others who missed because of flights. . 2 were tearfully left behind because they didn't want the expense of getting a passport. VERY expensive lesson learned as they didn't buy the insurance either. So for saving $300 they are out several thousand.

GET a PASSPORT!!!!

Another interesting story/reason to get one.

I wasn't planning on getting my dh's and I's passport as we rarely travel and our only port out of the US is Canada for only 4 hrs. but now I'm kind of worried... Even if I missed my first port for some reason Canada is not until the very end so I should be fine. I hope...

I wasn't planning on getting my dh's and I's passport as we rarely travel and our only port out of the US is Canada for only 4 hrs. but now I'm kind of worried... Even if I missed my first port for some reason Canada is not until the very end so I should be fine. I hope...

If all your ports are in the US, with only the last port being a foreign one (Canada), it's not the lack of passport you have to worry about. You will not be able to join the ship at another US port, because you'd be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (or PVSA). The only port you would be able to join the ship would be the Canadian one.

I'm flying into seattle a day early so I don't see why I would miss the ship anyways. If there was a emergency I would most likely be in AK and be able to fly home from there. So I think I'll go with my birth and marriage certificates and id. hope for the best i suppose.

I'm flying into seattle a day early so I don't see why I would miss the ship anyways. If there was a emergency I would most likely be in AK and be able to fly home from there. So I think I'll go with my birth and marriage certificates and id. hope for the best i suppose.

That's a safe bet, I'd say. Especially since you rarely travel. My family has been on more than five cruises so it makes sense for us to have one.

Archived