Ankgor Wat as a Princess Shore Excursion-Yes or No?

MsDolly

We are wondering your thoughts on spending the big money and doing the overland trip to Cambodia with Princess. Anybody been there and done that with words of wisdom.

It's $1600/pp and it would appear you leave the ship get driven to the airport in Bangkok (no tour) fly to Siem Riep the same day, then the next day you go to Ankgor for the day, evening cultural performance, then next day after breakfast you are off to the airport to fly to Ho Chi Min City, here there appears to be a 1/2 day of sightseeing before back to the ship.

The real question I guess is it worth not seeing Bangkok to see Angkor and is it really worth the money???

Belinda

There are many temples besides Angkor Wat in the area around Siem Reap, several of which are at least as impressive. Take a look at this map:

http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtemples.htm

Most people need a minimum of three full days to see the main sites at a reasonable pace.

So I would recommend saving Angkor Wat until you have the time to do it properly.

There's plenty to see and do in Bangkok.

$1600 PER???? What a rip for one night!!!

Give me your schedule and I can get you into/out of Bangkok and still join the ship for about 1/3-1/2 price.

Do you have a few days pre/post cruise??? Air fare from almost anyplace in Asia to Bangkok is relatively cheap and with Angkor Air and Bangkok Airways flying Bangkok OR Vietnam to Siem Reap, your choices are immense.

I have been to Angkor about 5 times. I get very bored very easily seeing the temples. There is a tremendous amount of walking and climbing on VERY uneven surfaces. There is much more to explore in the area (the elephants and elephant rehab farm, the general area and the way people live, around the water-a trip on the lake is really special to me). Do you have the time or are you just trying to squeeze in a trip to Angkor Wat???

IF you are just trying to squeeze in the Angkor Wat trip, you can do it CONSIDERABLY cheaper than what Princess wants and still get back on the ship. Post your dates and what you REALLY want to see.

By the way, I went to Angkor Wat last year; flights from the USA to Bangkok (SFO-NRT-BKK-NRT-SFO) were a bit under $900; on to Siem Reap (BKK-REP-BKK) was $355. Figure $75/night in Siem Reap and $100/night in Bangkok for very good hotels and, say, $50/day and $100/day in each place for everything else, and it looks as if you can take a dedicated trip from home to see Angkor Wat and much besides for little more than Princess charges for the drive-by.

We are goinng from HMC to Siem Reap then on to Bangkok through Vietnam Travel Today- for 680 including airfare, guides, meals. Does not include hotel in Bangkok. So most of the day touring HMC (guided), late afternoon flight to SR, evening and all day in SR guided in air conditioned car, hotel and meals, then early evening flight to BK. This also allows us more time in BK and we only have to do the long drive to the port once!:D I can't see why you couldn't make similar arrangements with a local TA for Thailand for a lot cheaper than Princess. (BTW- Princess is offering the same type of overland on our cruise itinerary)

Two years ago we visited Siem Reap then went on to Saigon. Round trip from Saigon, upscale hotel for 3 nights, and private guide with a car, was still way less than what Princess is asking. Tour in the morning, back to the hotel for lunch and a nap or swimming (the hot part of the day), then another tour in the afternoon. It's a very interesting place with lots to see and I think one day is just not very satisfying. Really enjoyed boating and lunch on the lake. JMHO.

We will be cruising out of Bangkok in early March. We will spend two nights in Bangkok on our own and then we are flying to Siem Reap for about $400 per person...I don't consider this an inexpensive flight but from what I have read the car/bus tour is rough and we really don't want to waste our time travelling by land as our time is limited. We will be spending two nights and have almost 3 days in Siem Reap. I found a small boutique hotel/resort on Trip Advisor called The Soujourn. It is $100/night and we are getting a full day tour and a driver to pick us up and take us back to the airport. He will also take us on either a sunrise or sunset tour and we have at least two meals included. This was not difficult to arrange on our own....we found it very easy to communicate with the hotel and I used Amex travel to book the flights just to be sure that there were no problems. Evidently, the dollar is widely accepted in Cambodia as well. I doubt we will be going there as a destination again so this is our chance to at least see these temples.....Book it yourself and save a lot of money!!

Thanks for all your input,

I will be in Asia ahead of time but only long enough to see Singapore for 2 days precruise, so going then won't work.

Not sure what specific sights I want to see, just intrigued with the whole idea of seeing it. We have relatives going there this month to provide us with some feedback as well.

As for dates, we'll be arriving in Bangkok on 4/23/11 at 7AM and would have to hook back up with the ship on 4/25/11 no latter then 5PM I am use to doing trips on our own but this part of the world seems a bit intimidating which is why we felt secure with Princess making the arrangements, but yes we know we are being ripped off. Money aside I could live with that if I knew I would at least feel it had been well spent by the time I left.

Thanks again.

Belinda

Money aside I could live with that if I knew I would at least feel it had been well spent by the time I left.

Belinda

Hi Belinda,

We were in Siem Reap for 4 days in November ... a first trip for us to that area, and we were completely enthralled by Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples. We explored temples for 3 days, with mid day breaks to avoid the hottest part of the day, and never tired of them...just the opposite; they became addictive. However, the schedule that you describe and the cost makes me think that you would be better off saving it for another trip. If you don't foresee another trip to this area, and the cost isn't prohibitive, then go for it as I don't think you would regret it. You can do this for less cost on your own if it's something that you want to pursue. We paid $172 U.S. each to fly from HCMC to Siem Reap (on Vietnam Airlines). Add your hotel cost, plus touring at the temples, plus flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap, plus taxi costs, etc. and you'll have an idea of how it compares to Princess' price. Does Princess include the day pass for the temples? Any meals? There's also the $20 Visa fee and $25 exit fee (pp) at the airport to consider.

No need to be intimidated by touring this area of the world on your own ... we worked with an excellent travel agent in Vietnam who arranged many of our plans and the rest (including the Cambodia portion) I booked on my own. It's a very tourist-friendly area to travel in, and the Tripadvisor forums (sister site of CC) are an excellent source of info.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do ... sounds like a fabulous cruise!:)

Thanks for all your input,

I will be in Asia ahead of time but only long enough to see Singapore for 2 days precruise, so going then won't work.

Not sure what specific sights I want to see, just intrigued with the whole idea of seeing it. We have relatives going there this month to provide us with some feedback as well.

As for dates, we'll be arriving in Bangkok on 4/23/11 at 7AM and would have to hook back up with the ship on 4/25/11 no latter then 5PM I am use to doing trips on our own but this part of the world seems a bit intimidating which is why we felt secure with Princess making the arrangements, but yes we know we are being ripped off. Money aside I could live with that if I knew I would at least feel it had been well spent by the time I left.

Thanks again.

Belinda

As promised-here you go:

April 23-Bangkok Airways flight 913-leaves Bangkok at 13:35-arrives Siem Reap at 14:45

$474.00 for 2

Stay at the FCC-old governor's mansion converted to a hotel. Full service hotel-excellent food, beautiful setting

There are many packages-you will have to look through the offerings but if I was to pick, it would one of these. This hotel has cars/drivers, tour guides, etc. etc. It is truly a full service hotel and one I have stayed in quite a few nights.

1. Deluxe Best Available Rate

Deluxe Elegant modern room facing a stylish black pool, designed to accommodate your travel needs, from online facilities to essential oils.Rooms furnished in Cambodian textiles and named after local herbs & spices.

Rate includes breakfast for up to 2 pax. King Bedded, with views overlooking the Pool. Airport pickup provided. Complimentary Internet Access in your room. * Free 15mn foot massage per person during your stay * 30% off on Visaya Spa from 10:00 to 15:00

$ 125.00 x 2 Nights

2. Elegant modern room facing a stylish black pool, designed to accommodate your travel needs, from online facilities to essential oils.Rooms furnished in Cambodian textiles and named after local herbs & spices.

Airport pick up only, welcome drink with cool towel, canapes & Sparkling wine in the room on arrival, , 15mn free foot massage per person during the stay, one Night accommodation with breakfast, one day Tuk Tuk Grand circuit at temples with driver *Three room nights booking or above get a complimentary 1hour Spiritual Massage.

$ 180.00 x 2 Nights

April 25-Angkor Air/Vietnam Airlines flight 826 nonstop from Siem Rep to Saigon. Leaves at 13:30, arrives SGN 14:40. The earlier flight is sold out and I am going to guess that is the one Princess is using, particularly if there is sightseeing involved. Price is $380 for 2 people.

You will have to buy a Cambodia visa ($20 at the airport PLUS two pictures) AND you will have to get a Vietnamese visa (either on your own in the USA from a visa service or through a Vietnamese travel agent for visa on arrival). These would also be required for the Princess trip because you CANNOT cross the border with the cruise line bulk visas.

You will also have to get from the ship to the airport and from the airport BACK to the ship. Since you are on the Diamond Princess and the ship cannot dock very close to Saigon, I might even suggest taking the late night flight out of Siem Reap back to SGN on April 24. Leaves at about 9:30PM, arrives Saigon about 10:30PM. The price is the same AND you are already in Saigon for a full day of sightseeing. There is also a flight that leaves Siem Reap at 6:30PM. You can see the sunset over the temples on April 23, the sunrise over the temples on April 24 and spend the whole day viewing the temples on the 24th. You will be tired the night of the 24th but there are some really decent hotels in SGN with airport pickup service-my favorite is the Rex in either the Junior Suite or Rex Suites. Those rooms face the main thoroughfare with balconies overlooking. IF you decide to do this, MAKE SURE you ask for the overlooking balconies. There are also the Sheraton, Caravelle and Riverside hotels which are top notch. I like the Rex with all the history (I was there in the early 70's with the USO). The grenade doors have been taken down but you can still see all the fittings. You can visually feel all the things that happened in the roof top bar during the war. The Rex was the accommodation for a lot of CIA, special forces and upper level military.

This is an easy trip to plan and so much cheaper doing it on your own at your own pace. Good luck!!!

For a total of about $1300-1400, you can have a completely customized trip to Siem Reap-private guides, private transport, deluxe hotel (I LOVE the FCC's-really special boutique hotels in Cambodia with outstanding service)

As promised-here you go:

Stay at the FCC-old governor's mansion converted to a hotel. Full service hotel-excellent food, beautiful setting

There are many packages-you will have to look through the offerings but if I was to pick, it would one of these. This hotel has cars/drivers, tour guides, etc. etc. It is truly a full service hotel and one I have stayed in quite a few nights.

We took the LONG ride to Phohm Penh from Sihanoukville and flew into Siem Reap from there. Only stayed overnight and rejoined our ship in Bangkok the next night.

GREATAM's recommendation of the FCC - absolutely a terrific and beautiful hotel though we opted for an evening elsewhere and did not eat there.

The (few) temples we visited at Angkor was worthwhile!

• 4 months later...
We are goinng from HMC to Siem Reap then on to Bangkok through Vietnam Travel Today- for 680 including airfare, guides, meals. Does not include hotel in Bangkok. So most of the day touring HMC (guided), late afternoon flight to SR, evening and all day in SR guided in air conditioned car, hotel and meals, then early evening flight to BK. This also allows us more time in BK and we only have to do the long drive to the port once!:D I can't see why you couldn't make similar arrangements with a local TA for Thailand for a lot cheaper than Princess. (BTW- Princess is offering the same type of overland on our cruise itinerary)

Which Princess cruise are you on? Did you have a problem with Princess (red tape)as to getting off ship in Vietnam and reboarding again in Bangkok? We are seriously considering the Princess Diamond cruise leaving Sept 24, 2011 from Alaska to Singapore. We wanted to see Angor Wat but we did not want to miss seeing Bangkok. If you take the very expensive Princess tour to Angor Wat, you totally miss Bangkok as the ship picks up their tour group on the way back from Bangkok. I had inquired through Indochina Odyssey Tours about pickup at ship in HCM, full day tour there, flight to Siem Reap, hotel for the night, tour Angor Wat the next day, fly out that evening to Bangkok, hotel in Bangkok and all day tour in Bangkok and transportation back to ship for $899 pp not including tips. Several meals and all admissions included as well. Please email me schuettinger@cox dot net. Thanks.

Do not spend any amount of money -- big or small -- to travel to Ankgor Wat for one day. I assume you want to actually see Ankgor Wat in a way that will have meaning for you; saying you went is all that's possible with one-day arrangements.

Watching the sun rise over Angkor Wat and seeing the temple reflected in the pond in front is an amazing experience. Then, you'll want to return later in the day to climb to the uppermost level. The steps get steeper the higher you go on the three levels because the architects wanted to make people really understand they were getting close to heaven the closer they got to the holiest place in the temple.

The Jungle Temple is fascinating to visit to get a sense of the way the structures looked when they were first discovered by the French. The jungle had invaded the structures with strangler fig trees splitting the walls with their roots. (Search for images of the movie "Lara Croft -- Tomb Raider" if you want to see the spooky, fascinating appearance of these un-restored temples.)

Angkor Tom, a temple that's larger than Angkor Wat, is fascinating for its carvings. You'll see wall after wall of detailed carving that shows the variety of people who lived in this place at the height of its power. There's a great wall-long carved mural telling the story of a famous battle.

Especially if you have seen cathedrals and other buildings built in the 10th and 11th century in Europe, pay particular attention to the building technique in use in Ankgor Wat. The engineering/architecture of the Cambodian structures is amazing. The buildings are still standing despite having been built without mortar to hold the huge blocks together. In contrast, European structures are based on remarkably crude engineering principles.

There's a sports stadium built more than 10 centuries ago that anticipates modern stadium construction including box seats for the important guests and accommodations for the visiting team that had the sun in their eyes during the afternoon time of the competitions. The walls of this stadium include carvings of the different spots played there. Lots of fun to identify spots that continue to this day.

And the list of interesting buildings goes on...

If you go, above all, locate a guide who is passionate about the buildings you'll be seeing and can make the people and their civilization come to life for you.

Apologies. Re-reading my post, I realize I came across as quite critical. I let my annoyance at the post by the guide who gets bored looking at temples color my response to you.

Bangkok doesn't contain any UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Angkor Wat is on that list, but Bangkok is hardly a wipe out. Here's how I'd spend one great day in Bangkok:

o touring the Royal Palace

o cruising the river and canals in a long-tail boat (AKA James Bond boat)

o visiting the Royal Barge museum (accessible only from the water)

o toss up between the Arun Temple (Temple of the Dawn) or the Emerald Buddha or the Jim Thompson House

Even with a guide who wants to share the story of the Angkor Wat, I still don't think the trip there is worthwhile for only one day. We spent two full days and one fraction of an afternoon in the area. I can't identify which temple I could have left out of our visit without feeling deprived. (We saw a couple more destinations than the ones I listed in my earlier post.) In fact, we missed a temple that should be viewed at sunset for a great panoramic view of the entire Ankgor (Capital) area.

My husband and I like to use the phrase "We live in hope" when it comes to deciding what to see and do on our trips. We live in hope that even if we have to omit a destination from Trip A, there will come a time when we can get there on Trip B or, even, Trip G/H/I/J/K.

Good luck with your planning!

Which Princess cruise are you on? Did you have a problem with Princess (red tape)as to getting off ship in Vietnam and reboarding again in Bangkok? We are seriously considering the Princess Diamond cruise leaving Sept 24, 2011 from Alaska to Singapore. We wanted to see Angor Wat but we did not want to miss seeing Bangkok. If you take the very expensive Princess tour to Angor Wat, you totally miss Bangkok as the ship picks up their tour group on the way back from Bangkok. I had inquired through Indochina Odyssey Tours about pickup at ship in HCM, full day tour there, flight to Siem Reap, hotel for the night, tour Angor Wat the next day, fly out that evening to Bangkok, hotel in Bangkok and all day tour in Bangkok and transportation back to ship for $899 pp not including tips. Several meals and all admissions included as well. Please email me schuettinger@cox dot net. Thanks.

You WILL NOT be allowed to FLY with the visa the ship provides. You will have to get your own Vietnam visa either arranged before you leave the USA (directly or through a third party) OR a Vietnam travel agent (visa on arrival). You CAN get a Cambodian visa (2 pictures REQUIRED) at the Siem Reap airport when you fly in.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check out the hotel you will have in Angkor Wat and Bangkok. A LOT of the tour agencies in SE Asia book backpacker class hotels. The majority of tourists are backpacker types, NOT cruise ship passengers. As a cruise passenger, you WILL NOT be happy with a small single room with a lot of noisy 20 somethings partying all nigh. Believe me, I am a 62 yo female and have spent quite a bit of time in SE Asia/Asia for business. Some of the hotels make Motel 6 look like luxury. One I stayed at through a reputable travel agent resembled a college dorm my grandkids are now staying in. Would I stay there again-AIN'T NO WAY!!!

You can EASILY make this trip on your own WITHOUT paying for a travel agency (who may or may not be "up to stuff" on American tastes in hotels and travel). Flights from Saigon are easily arranged via a couple of airlines. Vietnam visa's can be arranged from the USA or through a Vietnamese travel agent (I have a couple on call if you need the info). As previously posted, Cambodian visa's are visa on arrival (don't forget the passport sized pictures-they may or may NOT ask for them, but you better have them). A world class hotel has lots of "guides" on staff or on call. NO need to find someone else.

Send me an email-greatam.az@gmail.com

I just got off the Ocean Princess. A number of passengers did the 2 night excursion to Angkor Wat. Everyone I spoke to was happy with the tour.

May be happy, but just waaaay, waaay, waaay over priced.

I still don't think the trip there is worthwhile for only one day.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Our trip to Angkor was, alas, too brief. We got there in mid-afternoon and left about the same time the next day. We overnight at FCC and took in a show that evening.

I don't know if we will ever have the chance to go to that part of the world again. And so if the visit to Angkor is brief, it is the chance to see one of the wonders of this planet.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Our trip to Angkor was, alas, too brief... And so if the visit to Angkor is brief, it is the chance to see one of the wonders of this planet.

Surprisingly, at heart, we agree. I hear the passion and the wonder in your post, and that's what I was trying to communicate in my first post. As I wrote about each of the buildings at Angkor, I was trying to communicate what a vivid and meaningful experience visiting there could be.

I'm not a great fan of zoom-in/zoom-out excursions offered by cruise ships. Nevertheless, I'm glad you found your limited experience so very satsifying. Angkor is definitely "one of the wonders of this planet."

Twice now, when good cruise deals to that part of the world have come along, I've looked at the possibility of combining a cruise with a visit to Angkor Wat. (For me, as for most of the people whose opinions I've sought, the primary purpose of such a visit would indeed be to visit the temples, lest there be any doubt...)

Each time, I've come away with the strong feeling that it would be better to do Angkor Wat separately, not as a cruise excursion. First, as already mentioned the cost is tremendous. As a solo, both of the cruise lines that I've investigated would charge me more for the "overnight" excursion than for the entire cruise! If you can do the trip as a pre- or post-cruise tour that would make some sense, but I wouldn't go with what the cruise lines offer.

Second, the overnight would not -- for ME -- provide enough time at Angkor Wat. Perhaps I'm an odd bird, but I could look at sites such as Angkor Wat all day every day and be happy doing so. ;) I would want a minimum of 3 days at the site, based on all I've read.

So, after consideration -- and reconsideration -- I will probably be visiting Angkor Wat as part of a land trip to Thailand, rather than taking a cruise to SE Asia.

Archived