Help me pick some dinner wines, Emerald

tdeyette

A sommelier on Emerald:confused: we had a bottle every night and never saw them! Our waiter gave us the chef's recommendation the first 2 nights, one was OK the other not so good. Both were in the $40-45 range. After that we chose our own, a couple of French but mainly Australian and a couple from USA, all were in the $25 to 35 range.

A sommelier on Emerald:confused: we had a bottle every night and never saw them! Our waiter gave us the chef's recommendation the first 2 nights, one was OK the other not so good. Both were in the $40-45 range. After that we chose our own, a couple of French but mainly Australian and a couple from USA, all were in the $25 to 35 range.

He was on it at the end of October - and certainly got his exercise. We saw him in Sabatinis, the Crown Grill, anytime dining and at the Chef's Table. He had a beeper so he could be paged to any location.

Sorry I have to disagree with the Chateau St. Michele fans--I'm from Washington state, where this winery is located--along with many other wineries that make Rieslings. Because of this I am probably spoiled by having access to many choices and some really good Rieslings. I think the St. Michele version tastes like slightly fermented flat soda pop. Just get grape juice, it's cheaper :D

But if you like sweet wines, the Niersteiner is better than the St. Michele and comes right from the original source of Reislings, Germany.

Princess carries a nice little Chateau nuf du pop if you want something with character. Also try the Kendall Jackson wines--reds and white are all high quality. Noblio, from New Zealand, is lighter if you prefer and pretty good. These are all in the lower price categories.

If you want a sparkler, they have Korbel for their lesser expensive choice--either Brut or Rose and this is not a bad little wine for the price.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

A sommelier on Emerald:confused: we had a bottle every night and never saw them!

If you ask your waiter for the sommelier, he will be paged for you & arrive as soon as possible to answer your questions. However he covers all dining locations so he could be delayed.

Once again, thanks for all the great information and I agree, dinner and wine shared with good friends will make for a wonderful evening.

SMSLMS, I’m envious of your cellar. Someday I’ll have a cellar as well but nothing close to that size!

FACRUISER99, I agree that taste is subjective, just because one person likes it does not mean another will. I for one don’t care for the taste of Caviar (perhaps there are some caviars out there that taste better??) but I just had to try it on our last cruise. That said, when one recommends a wine it is a great starting point for making selections.

Thanks again….

Hi, all:

Since Chateau Ste. Michelle has been complimented here at least three times, I think it definitely deserves a spot on the OP's white wine short list.

Our friend from Washington State recommended Niersteiner, and I must say that I agree with that thought, also:) Since Niersteiner has also been complimented at least three times, it deserves a spot on the white wine short list, too:)

I had the please of traveling the "Route du Vin" in Alsace, France, the home of many great rieslings and gewurztraminers. The wine route travels through countless storybook style wine villages, with tastings aplenty. Even though the rieslings and gewurztraminers in Alsace are of a different style than those in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia, I still like them all:)

Sometimes, on Alaska cruises, they have a German night, when many German style foods are served, including a variety of sausages. If they ever have this night on the Emerald, it would be super fun to order both the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling and the Niersteiner, and enjoy a side by side tasting. Even more fun would be going around the table, for eveyone's comments on the wines and the food/wine pairings. What a great time that would be!

Skoll!

Hi tdeyette,

I just recently sailed on the Emerald and on the night we ate at the crown grill restaurant we noticed the sommelier was available to pair 3 wine selections with the particular dishes you had ordered from the menu for an additional $18. My father said that his wines were excellent, however, they forgot to serve his final glass during dessert.. :confused:

I would also recommend the grapevine wine tasting that usually takes place during the last couple days of your cruise. It is a great opportunity to taste a variety of excellent wines and speak with knowlegable staff regarding wines available onboard.

Bon Voyage,

C

I would also recommend the grapevine wine tasting that usually takes place during the last couple days of your cruise. It is a great opportunity to taste a variety of excellent wines and speak with knowlegable staff regarding wines available

In addition to the enjoyable Grapevine ($9.50) tasting they have a Maitre'd Wine Club ($25) for a nice variety of more expensive wines with fancier canapés. It's a splurge to try some expensive wines with the most expensive being Opus 1 which goes for about $170 a bottle onboard.

I'm no wine expert but have read experts say buying very expensive wine onboard may not be a good idea. They say it's best for wine to not be moved excessively & that isn't what happens on a ship. I doubt if they have a gyro stabilized system onboard to keep them from swaying with the ship but even a stabilized system cannot do much about some of those severe jolts felt onboard. :p

In Italy the saying is, What wine should I serve with this meal? Any wine goes with anything you serve, there is no bad choice. I drink red with Fish. So what. Sue me!! HAHAHA You cant tell from 1 season to the next if a wine is going to taste good to you. I say drink them all.

In Italy the saying is, What wine should I serve with this meal? Any wine goes with anything you serve, there is no bad choice. I drink red with Fish. So what. Sue me!! HAHAHA You cant tell from 1 season to the next if a wine is going to taste good to you. I say drink them all.

That's exactly what we've been told during each Princess wine tasting & I subscribe to the same philosophy...salute! :D

Any wine goes with anything you serve, there is no bad choice.

I also agree here and will often choose a wine I feel like drinking reguardless of the meal it is being served with.

However I must say I really like a robust red with a piece of dark chocolate... yum!

Last cruise we did the earlier wine tasting (this is where I tried the Caviar). It was fun but I don’t think I really learned much there, wine was tasty though. Maybe I can talk our group into doing the second one this time? We’ll see….

I agree that you should seek the advice of a sommelier. Wine is all about what mood you are in. At dinner find out what everybody/majority are in the mood for. White? Red? Bubbly? Typically New world wines (California, Australia, South America) are a little more friendly on their own while European wines work the best with food. Have fun and enjoy.

BTW/Princess will hold any leftover wine or fizzzy water until you ask for it at the nest meal you wish to have it, just remember which restaurant you left it in so he can chase it down so to speak.

You don't have to remember. The waiter now gives you a slip to show the next night.

We've tried both the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling and Niersteiner Gutes Domtal, and based on our palates we found Niersteiner to be slightly sweeter than Chateau Ste. Michelle.

David

I believe the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling carried by Princess is the dry version, rather than the sweeter Johannesburg Riesling. I like the dry very much, but can't take the Johannesburg version - too sweet.

I believe the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling carried by Princess is the dry version, rather than the sweeter Johannesburg Riesling. I like the dry very much, but can't take the Johannesburg version - too sweet.

Yes, I have been reading the online version of the Princess wine list, and the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling is described as "off dry".

I think this makes for another positive vote for Chateau Ste Michelle:)

Skoll!

To the OP, why not bring the wines with you? We routinely bring cases of wine with us from our cellar.

Princess charges a corkage fee of $15 if wine is brought to the dining room.

You could have fun with this and organize a little wine tasting in your cabin (no charge for wines drunk in the cabin). Add some cheese and crackers from room service.

If you are embarking in Fort Lauderdale, you can order online from Total Wines and pick up prior to embarkation.

To the OP, why not bring the wines with you?

Jdvmd,

I have thought of bringing my own wine onto the ship. I have read on the boards of people bring on a case (or 2) of wine wit no problems. I checked total wines prices and see that they are about ½ or less than the listed Princess prices. Tack on the gratuity and it’s a bigger savings yet.

However once we tack on the 15 dollars corkage fee more often or not the price is just about a wash. Again I have read conflicting reports where sometimes people are not charged the fee, or are only charged once not per bottle. I have also read if you have the same type of wine that is sold on the ship that they will not charge you the corkage fee.

I guess its luck of the draw…

Anyway, thanks all for the information. I have been looking up the suggestions and they sound great. Looking forward to out upcoming trip!

Tom

Archived