Help me pick some dinner wines, Emerald

tdeyette

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Emerald this February (Eastern Caribbean).

We have a group of 8 people and will be dining together. Last time we cruised together we had one person that generally selected a couple bottles of wine to accompany our meal. (We all shared the wine and took turns paying with the magic card)

Long story short, the guy that chose the wines last time will not be cruising with us this trip. The group decided that I should be the designated wine selector. I know a little about wine and feel I should be able to do fine. However I thought this forum would be a great place to “cheat a little”. Perhaps see if anyone had any wine on the Emerald recently that they really enjoyed.

We typically had red wines in the 20-35 dollar range. (selected from the dining room menu as opposed to being brought with us)

However I’m not opposed to any white suggestions (My wife really likes Rieslings and Gewurtztraminer)

Thanks in advance

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Emerald this February (Eastern Caribbean).

We have a group of 8 people and will be dining together. Last time we cruised together we had one person that generally selected a couple bottles of wine to accompany our meal. (We all shared the wine and took turns paying with the magic card)

Long story short, the guy that chose the wines last time will not be cruising with us this trip. The group decided that I should be the designated wine selector. I know a little about wine and feel I should be able to do fine. However I thought this forum would be a great place to “cheat a little”. Perhaps see if anyone had any wine on the Emerald recently that they really enjoyed.

We typically had red wines in the 20-35 dollar range. (selected from the dining room menu as opposed to being brought with us)

However I’m not opposed to any white suggestions (My wife really likes Rieslings and Gewurtztraminer)

Thanks in advance

Try Castle Rock Cab. Sav., very tasty!

It may be $45, though. We had it at the Chefs dinner and it was really good.Probably better than wines twice the price.We also liked the Seghesio Old Vines Zin, but that was $55.00.

Also the Silverado Sauvignon Blanc was great and it was in the 20's(white wine)

Was dissapointed in the expensive Chatenuf de Pape. avoid.

We brought some wine so didn't buy all that much.

we don't care for those Australian Schirazzes.

When we were on the Emerald in October there was a full time Sommelier more than happy to give advice -- and not just for expensive wines. He makes the rounds of the MDRs, Sabatinis, and the Crown Grill. Just tell your wait staff you'd like to talk to him. He told us that years ago there were Sommeliers on each ship but Princess got rid of them. Now they are bringing them back (but I'm not sure how quickly).

Cheers!

You're probably aware that you can bring wine onboard & to pay the $15 corkage fee to drink at dinner. At the Grapevine wine tasting ($9.50/pp) where you sample 5 wines, they said there was a discount for wine purchases. I'm not sure if it was only the Golden & would probably require it to be purchased on one account or if was only for those at the wine tasting.

3) 5%

7) 10%

10) 15%

In your price range, we enjoyed the Wolf Blass Yellow Label cab ($34) & la Crema Pinot Noir ($36). But we've dined with couples who enjoyed the Chilean cab by Santa Carolina daily at $23.

Thanks for being open to some white wine suggestions.

An excellent sauvignon blanc, which I have ordered several times on different Princess ships, is Silverado Sauvignon Blanc. It is excellent, and not overly herbacious (in other words, it doesn't have that grassy taste that is characteristic of some sauvignon blancs). It will be great with shellfish, or fish in general.

Another excellent wine for chicken or fish dishes is Rosemount Chardonnay. It is from Australia, and again, I have ordered it on several different Princess ships, over the years. It is great!

Finally, you mentioned riesling. Chateau Ste. Michelle Rieslilng, from Washington state, is fantastic. (In addition to being great with chicken dishes, this wine is great with spicy food.)

Cheers! Or, as we Swedes would say: skoll!

It may be $45, though. We had it at the Chefs dinner and it was really good.Probably better than wines twice the price.We also liked the Seghesio Old Vines Zin, but that was $55.00.

Also the Silverado Sauvignon Blanc was great and it was in the 20's(white wine)

Was dissapointed in the expensive Chatenuf de Pape. avoid.

We brought some wine so didn't buy all that much.

we don't care for those Australian Schirazzes.

Wow! Just noticed your mention of Silverado Sauvignon Blanc! Great!

Good choice!

You have received some suggestions. Go to your local "discount" wine store and buy some of these wines and try them at home before your cruise. It will cost you less than half the ship prices. Try a couple of them side-by-side to compare. Wine tastes are a personal preference.

The link below from a recent post gives you the wine list with prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27395366&postcount=8

Become familiar with the list to impress your tablemates. All Princess cruises use the same list.

Thanks in advance

We especially like Niersteiner Gutes Domtal. It is a semi-sweet Riesling, and we have enjoyed drinking it on many cruises.

David

Everyone,

Thanks so much for the information so far. One of my hobbies is making wine (at this point primarily from kits) so I’m very interested in trying different types of wines to see how they compare. Thus the reason I was chosen to select the wines this trip.

Thanks for pointing out the wine list (sultan sfo) and for posting it (Astro Flyer). This will give me a great head-start!

Had a couple of recommendations for the Silverado Sauvignon Blanc… I’ll have to put that one on the “short list” of wines to try.

Great advice… Thanks

Tom

When we were on the Emerald in October there was a full time Sommelier more than happy to give advice -- and not just for expensive wines. He makes the rounds of the MDRs, Sabatinis, and the Crown Grill. Just tell your wait staff you'd like to talk to him. He told us that years ago there were Sommeliers on each ship but Princess got rid of them. Now they are bringing them back (but I'm not sure how quickly).

Cheers!

There is a full time Sommelier on the Emerald??? FANTASTIC!! I really missed that on the Ruby. We so enjoyed our time with the Sommelier on the X Millenium!

An excellent sauvignon blanc' date=' which I have ordered several times on different Princess ships, is Silverado Sauvignon Blanc. It is excellent, and not overly herbacious (in other words, it doesn't have that grassy taste that is characteristic of some sauvignon blancs). It will be great with shellfish, or fish in general.

Another excellent wine for chicken or fish dishes is Rosemount Chardonnay. It is from Australia, and again, I have ordered it on several different Princess ships, over the years. It is great!

Finally, you mentioned riesling. Chateau Ste. Michelle Rieslilng, from Washington state, is fantastic. (In addition to being great with chicken dishes, this wine is great with spicy food.)

Cheers! Or, as we Swedes would say: skoll![/quote']

Bravo on the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling! Delicious with turkey or chicken. Yummy!!

An excellent sauvignon blanc' date=' which I have ordered several times on different Princess ships, is Silverado Sauvignon Blanc. It is excellent, and not overly herbacious (in other words, it doesn't have that grassy taste that is characteristic of some sauvignon blancs). It will be great with shellfish, or fish in general.

Cheers! Or, as we Swedes would say: skoll![/quote']

The Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling was my first ever on a Princess ship, and my favorite!

Thanks in advance

I love talking wine...I always learn so much...So, it seems your wife likes a sweeter white wine....but, try the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc(New Zealand) with scallops, or shrimp. It is a lovely crisp, citrusy, acidic white wine that goes very well with lighter seafood. We can buy it back home for about $10-$11 but on ship, much more expensive. Sauv. blancs are also very good all by themselves on a warm evening, chilled well.

Enjoy!

You're probably aware that you can bring wine onboard & to pay the $15 corkage fee to drink at dinner. At the Grapevine wine tasting ($9.50/pp) where you sample 5 wines, they said there was a discount for wine purchases. I'm not sure if it was only the Golden & would probably require it to be purchased on one account or if was only for those at the wine tasting.

3) 5%

7) 10%

10) 15%

In your price range, we enjoyed the Wolf Blass Yellow Label cab ($34) & la Crema Pinot Noir ($36). But we've dined with couples who enjoyed the Chilean cab by Santa Carolina daily at $23.

I also love the Wof Blass cabs....luscious, rich, and jammy. It is so good with a steak or lamb. And, if you don't like the tannins then try the pinots.

I love my wine. (2 glass limit:))

I tend to select a pinot grigio for a group with varied taste. I recommend that you go to a large and knowledgeable liquor outlet near your home and buy a bottle of Italian or Spanish origin. Pinot grigios usually are a light bodied wine that has citrus, pear and peach overtones. They are just plain pleasant on the palate. Plus, they pretty much go with any kind of entree. Good luck and good wine.

Thanks in advance

tdeyette, You have a copy of the wine list. Your friend who won't be cruising with you this time apparently can choose wines your group likes. Why not let him look at the list and give you some suggestions?

Thanks in advance

As someone with a 10000 bottle cellar I feel I know a bit about wine. The first thing I would tell you is that there are a great many pretentious notions about wine. The second thing I would say is that aboard ship,most of the time you are very wise to stay within the $20 -35 price range you mentioned.

Most of the California reds on the wine list (cab, merlot & zin) will be fine. Washington cabs and merlots as a rule will also be good as will many Oregon Pinots.

Aussie wines in that price range (whether cab, merlot, shiraz or chard) are mostly fruit forward and great to drink young, so you can't go far wrong. New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are mostly very good (sharp, crisp, clean taste - a personal favorite).

Chilean cabs and chards are perfectly fine for the most part. French, Spanish and Italian wines can be fantastic, but generally speaking you will not find great wines from these countries on the ships, at least in a price range that appeals to most of us, so if you're not familiar with the wines I would tend to avoid them.

A good gewurtz is wonderful with spicier or Asian foods, but you don't often find many listings onboard ship.

Most importantly of all, if you select a wine and you enjoy it and enjoy your meal and enjoy the company of those you are with then it's all good. Buon appetito:)

Thanks in advance

We always have Round Hill, it's number 100 on the wine list.

Thanks in advance

Round Hill. No 100 on the wine list.

My choice would be the Wolf Blass Shirraz (White/President label). It is quite possibly the best red wine I've ever tasted......:):):)

Bob

OP wants wine in the $20-$35 range.. The WB Shiraz is $50

Archived