RCI not allowing passengers to bring wine onboard?

wwinfl91

Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?  

847 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?

• Yes Passengers should be allowed to bring their own wine with them
    • NO RCI not allow passengers to bring wine onboard.90
    • To tell the truth I don't really care.

I am a Chardonnay lover. But even with those there are flavors, if you will, that create a taste, some more buttery, some more oaky for example. The fun is in the trying them, seeing what you like and with what you want to have them with. Kendall-Jackson is good in the $15.00 range. I like a Private Reserve Mondavi in the $20.00 price. I like the Ferarri-Carano's in the $30.00 range and I like Grgish Hills in the $40.00's range. I like the Napa's the best. These are my tastes, other have their own.

I am not a reds drinker for the most part, but there have been some that I really enjoyed and some I have here at home waiting to turn to vinegar at this rate I think. My favorites of the reds are the Margaux wines. And in this color family there are tons of varieties and flavors to choose from.

I am a Chardonnay lover. But even with those there are flavors, if you will, that create a taste, some more buttery, some more oaky for example. The fun is in the trying them, seeing what you like and with what you want to have them with. Kendall-Jackson is good in the $15.00 range. I like a Private Reserve Mondavi in the $20.00 price. I like the Ferarri-Carano's in the $30.00 range and I like Grgish Hills in the $40.00's range. I like the Napa's the best. These are my tastes, other have their own.

I am not a reds drinker for the most part, but there have been some that I really enjoyed and some I have here at home waiting to turn to vinegar at this rate I think. My favorites of the reds are the Margaux wines. And in this color family there are tons of varieties and flavors to choose from.

Which would you suggest as more buttery? I think I would like that.

With all the discussion on whether or not RCI allows one to bring wine on board, - has anyone ever tried to smuggle alcohol onboard by placing it in other containers?

Does it happen?

Is it legal? :eek:

I bring alcohol in its original bottle in carry-on luggage and haven't had a problem yet...

I have talked with many people both onboard and after cruises that said they had brought their own liquor onboard and made up before or after dinner cocktails in their cabin. I'm sure that the last cruise lines want to do is start searching cabins but you have to start wondering how long it will be before they decide to include that they can do that in your cruise contract. Unfortunately that would be the day I would quit cruising.

Have a great next cruise.

We were on the 10 day NOS Xmas/New Years Eve sailing..we had several bottles of wine in our luggage..Brought the wine to dinner .After we got to know our waiters..no corkage fee and they were tip very nicely each night..

A wonderful winery, but it is spelled Grgich Hills Winery, FC.

Here is a link to their website. They make or used to an amazing late harvest Chardonnay called a Violetta, if you like dessert wines, super sweet, this one is amazing. They make very nice cabs too.

http://www.grgich.com/index.html

I don't drink a lot of Chardonnay, but I think it is available at the local Sam's club, zachnlucy. fyi

jc

Sonoma winery, Kunde, makes both a great merlot and chardonnay. I am a red drinker, but always enjoy their white too. Price range $18-22, Also have had LaCrema chardonnay, nice buttery taste too, px range around $15.

BTW, Celebrity used to keep Kunde on their wine list, but stopped a few years back. We spoke with one of the Sommeliers on the Summit, he said he didn't know why they stopped carrying that wine, it was a very popular pick. My guess, they probably had to charge $90 per bottle for it to keep the margin they are seeking, and couldn't get many takers. (LOL!)

All I know is what I like - I can't pick "butter" from "oaky" or "touch of cheese" (anybody see Sideways?), but I know what I like. Prices are in Los Angeles:

Chardonnays: La Crema, Cambria Catherine's (both anywhere from $11.99 to $15.99 depending on the store & whether they're on sale), Sonoma Cutrer (generally only available in restaurants, but if you're ever in the Marina del Rey area, they carry it at Beverage Warehouse for $16.99). Also Edna Valley or J. Lohr, both in the $10 range.

Reds: I like the Barbera d'Alba wines (Italian) of recent years. If you're embarking in Vancouver, go to the BC Liquor store and ask for the Batasiolo Barbera d'Alba Souvrana, abotu $17 Cdn. Delish.

For a pleasant drinkable red in the "party" category, Kenwood Vintage Red ($5.99).

For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on tasty Merlots, but there are lots of them. Not helpful, but I'll post back later after I have more coffee!

All I know is what I like - I can't pick "butter" from "oaky" or "touch of cheese" (anybody see Sideways?), but I know what I like. Prices are in Los Angeles

For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on tasty Merlots, but there are lots of them. Not helpful, but I'll post back later after I have more coffee!

"Right bank" Bordeaux, France.

Cheers!

A wonderful winery, but it is spelled Grgich Hills Winery, FC

I don't drink a lot of Chardonnay, but I think it is available at the local Sam's club, zachnlucy. fyi

jc

Welcome to the "ABC" club!! :)

Cheers!

I noticed a thread today on the Europe board that RCCL sponsers a winery and wine tasting tour in Tuscany. I wonder if they let the passengers who take the tour bring back a couple of bottles of wine they purchased during the tour or whether RCCL will confiscate it.

Any opinions?

By the way interesting information on wine prices in California and other places. We are going on a cruise this fall that stops in San Francisco. Does anyone know a wine store near the docks there?

We took the Tuscan winery tour and were able to bring our wine back on board with no problem. We did the same in Malta, too.

I know there's a wine store in Ghiardelli Square, but the prices were high for California (tourist trap). You can buy some wonderful wines in any supermarket, so you might ask at a tourist kiosk where to go.

Our local Von's (Safeway in Northern CA) carries some pretty pricey wines. I guess they go well with a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and some mac & cheese!:D

You have a great next cruise, too! I'll be on Princess, so I plan to take a couple of bottles without any fear that they will be confiscated.

The cruise this fall will be on Celebrity but since RCI owns them I suspect they will have the same wine and liquor policies as their parent company. So I guess we will find a way to sneak it onboard.

We have enjoyed our two cruises on Princess and will be sailing on them again someday in the future.

JC - Thanks for the spell check. ;) What a PITA name to spell, but oh how I love to drink it. Good choice to spoil zachnlucy I think!

We visited the winery about 10 years ago or so, and I think it is Polish.

Like I said I am not a big Chardonnay drinker, but all of their wines are very very good. A very good winery. The Violetta I had was the first year they bottled it, and it was amazing! I don't drink dessert wines often, but man O man with a good dessert like creme brulee, this is almost an orgasmic experience.

jc

We visited the winery about 10 years ago or so, and I think it is Polish.

Like I said I am not a big Chardonnay drinker, but all of their wines are very very good. A very good winery. The Violetta I had was the first year they bottled it, and it was amazing! I don't drink dessert wines often, but man O man with a good dessert like creme brulee, this is almost an orgasmic experience.

jc

JC - You are giving me ideas! :D

critterchick I only rememebr the grapes on the label, but if Ralston Purina kept many a'growing strong...then I figure it must be good for me! :)

The poll results are still showing over 76% against RCI's policy of not allowing wine to be brought on board. About 4% think RCI should be allowed to take away our wine and about 20% say they don't care one way or another.

I know that adds up to 101% but I rounded up each number. I really can add.

The poll results are still showing over 76% against RCI's policy of not allowing wine to be brought on board. About 4% think RCI should be allowed to take away our wine and about 20% say they don't care one way or another.

I know that adds up to 101% but I rounded up each number. I really can add.

You really can't add. 76+4+20 = 100 on the nose. :D

Since the first number is 76.86, maybe you meant it to be 77 which would come to 101.

Archived