RCI not allowing passengers to bring wine onboard?

wwinfl91

Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?  

847 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?

• Yes Passengers should be allowed to bring their own wine with them
    • NO RCI not allow passengers to bring wine onboard.90
    • To tell the truth I don't really care.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder how big they make bottles. My cheap side is also showing up.

Have a great next cruise.

Bottle Size Names ***************Still wine *******SparklingWine

Size In Milliliters/liters

187 ml *************************Split **************Split

375 ml***********************Half Bottle *********Half Bottle

500 ml************************Half Liter********** Half Liter

750 ml *************************Bottle************* Bottle

1.5 l **************************Magnum*********** Magnum

2.25 l ***********************Marie-Jeanne ************-

3 l*************************Double Magnum******* Jeroboam

4.5 l **************************Jeroboam *********Rehoboam

6 l ****************************Imperial *********Methusalah

9 l *******************************-************ Salmanazar

12 l ******************************-************* Balthazar

15 l******************************-********** Nebuchadnezzar

So if you want a really large red or white wine an Imperial would be your choice 6 liters. If you want sparking you want a Nebuchadnezzar 15 liters. These are normally reserved for winners of formula one races in France. Shame to spray all of that luscious champagne over nubile models below the victory stand.

jc

DW and I took four bottles of wine on board Feb 04 and no one said anything. Enjoyed it in our cabin and purchased the wine package offered at dinner. A glass in the cabin before dinner, wine at dinner, and another glass or two after dinner. Made for a very plesent cruise.

hcc

I think we may have an idea that will turn out to be popular, bringing on a box-of-wine, and using it for several days in the dining room. Maybe we should start discussing which boxes-of-wine are good and which aren't.

Sounds like an idea that may have legs. The only problem is RCI may decide to start stocking them themselves and charging $60 or 70 dollars apiece.

Let's keep this thread going. We have stayed on the first page for a couple of days now. Maybe we will get RCI to notice we aren't happy with their new policy.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

How about bringing a box of wine to the dining room? Would that be hilarious or what?

Yeah!! There you go!! Those big 5 liter boxes have little plastic taps in the bottom of them. You just plunk the thing on the side of the table and tap what you need!! :D

Now would that be a "tapage charge"??!! Or how about those screw top 3 liters? Would that be a "screw top charge"?!

For a really big table we could just bring the whole barrel!! :D :D

Cheers!

At my age, I know what I like and don't like surprises with wine. I will probably bring 2-3 bottle of "high-end" wine onboard, and don't mind if there is a corkage fee. However, how do they make sure you actually GET your wine?

As long as the room steward doesn't like wine. Just kidding. That probably is a good way to handle it.

I'm a little surprised at the poll results with the number of people who say they don't care whether RCI allows people to bring wine onboard. Either there are a lot of people who don't drink wine or a bunch of people who plan on bringing it onboard no matter what RCI says. That would match up with a lot of the comments this thread has had posted.

How about bringing a box of wine to the dining room? Would that be hilarious or what?

you might get your point across, but it would certainly make for good conversation, not only at your table but others as well. Let's try it!!!! LOL

NMnita

I understand that it is not cost-effective or practical for a cruise line at this level to stock and sell high-end wine. However, given that situation, it seems reasonable and a matter of good customer service, to allow passengers to bring wine that is not offered for sale on the ship, and charge a fairly substantial corkage fee. Advertising a policy of this sort might even bring wine enthusiasts who wouldn't normally book a RCL cruise.

OK, I see enough people onboard (pun intended) with the idea of bringing a box that we could have our own table. Of course, then we'd probably need two boxes per night! There's an Australian winery advertising here (LA) that they have bottle quality wine in a box, but we haven't gotten up the nerve to try it. Not that we're picky - we drank 2 Buck Chuck for a couple of years until the novelty wore off.

I checked "don't care" because I wasn't thinking clearly. What frosts me is the assertion RCI makes that some kind of "international law" prohibits them from allowing booze on board. Really? Then how come Princess can (and does) do it? "Wine or champagne for special occasions." At least be honest and consistent about it - "We don't allow you to bring wine onboard because it eats into our profit margins and we'd either go bankrupt with all you lushes doing the BYOB thing or have to charge double what we do now and only offer ranch steak for dinner.

If they charge a corkage fee, they obviously acknowledge that people are bringing their own wine onboard. Unless they're thinking we're getting grapes from the Windjammer & making wine in our tubs. Hey, how about a grape-stomping party for Sailaway?

I crack me up...

Hmm...yeah, I like the grape stomping thing in the cabin bathtub!! :D

However, I still think it would make a wonderful party if they would let me roll that barrel of my favorite grape onboard. Or should I check it first??!!

Cheers!

I hope that is the way the crew of the Jewel handles things. Maybe there isn't anything to worry about but I may still plan on getting my wine on without making it obvious.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

Then how come Princess can (and does) do it? "Wine or champagne for special occasions." At least be honest and consistent about it - "We don't allow you to bring wine onboard because it eats into our profit margins and we'd either go bankrupt with all you lushes doing the BYOB thing or have to charge double what we do now and only offer ranch steak for dinner.

Probably it is because Princess is owned by Carnival. And this is Carnival's policy, as well. We have always taken wine on Carnival with no problem whatsoever. I'm disappointed to read about this, since I've got an RCI cruise booked. Especially as I also take bottled water onboard with me. Hmmmm....I'm no longer in my "happy place". Better go turn the spigot on my box of wine! ;)

Shoot! Is anybody going to be on my cruise who dares to bring on a barrel of ANYTHING and share it with me? (Just in case....I prefer shiraz!) Kidding aside.....I am going to try the 2 750s for cabin use (4 nights) and a 1.50 litre for the dining room. If DH drinks wine on board, I'm toast.....will have to go to plan B.....buy one of the overpriced bottles (sigh)!

I really hope that RCCL will listen and reduce the price of their wine.....I would gladly pay 100% mark-up and save the space in my luggage for something more interesting, but 400%? No way....I'll take my chances and bring my own!

What am I talking about? This may be my first and last cruise anyway....not even sure I will get into the whole thing! Getting anxious here......

M.

RCCI rep told me I CAN bring up to 2 bottles of wine with me on the ship (per cabin), but yes I know I have to pay per bottle a corkage fee (so what, as long as I can have the wine that I want, so what) still cheeper then the price of wine they sell, at lest you get to have what you want... If I can afford the price of my cabin I can afford the fee....

Guest OBAYbee
Hmm...yeah, I like the grape stomping thing in the cabin bathtub!! :D

However, I still think it would make a wonderful party if they would let me roll that barrel of my favorite grape onboard. Or should I check it first??!!

Cheers!

I KNOW!!!... Let's stomp grapes in the hot tub on deck!..then have a tasting party!

That sounds interesting. I will bring some spice bags and we can drink mulled wine.

Sounds like a plan but getting several large containers of grapes onboard may be a problem. I guess if we get enough people to order grapes for their room and we all take a bunch at the buffet maybe we can get enough.

I guess maybe the hot tub idea is getting a little extreme.

The poll results are running 76.59 against RCI not allowing wine to be brought aboard.

3.17 percent are for allowing RCI to take your wine away from you.

20.24 percent didn't care one way or another although some of those have posted they should have voted for option one.

RCI are listening.

Archived