Dream buttcheaks show

williamson_ja

So, it looks like the karaoke, family comedian, legends show, and perhaps the welcome aboard shows would be the ones we would feel more comfortable with from what people have posted here. I definitely know that people will be wearing swim attire on decks. The difference to me (as is posted by another) is that if someone on deck is wearing something revealing, I'm not going to sit and stare at them for an hour as my entertainment. You just continue with what you are doing and not pay too much attention to them. I know most of you don't understand this point of view. That's okay. I was just looking for some information. I think I have what I need now. Thanks to those that were helpful. :)

How close to you plan on sitting, the front row, it really not that good anyway, you are looking up, and if the band is up in the pit, they are also in the way. So move back, and or up and you are much better,

I guess I have been lucky(or unlucky, depending on your point of view), but very often the butt cheeks are bare-no leggings- in the shows I have seen on Carnival.

I enjoy the shows, but quite frankly I am not sure how they can be described as tasteful. Often there is very suggestive choreography that goes along with the costumes. Sometimes it is playful and humerous, other times it's not.

OP - talk with the cruise director or 1 of the dancers( they work the bingo sessions). They can tell you which shows have thongs.

They do say they are Vegas style shows, not Catholic School Shows,

Get a grip, and enjoy, just because you are looking does not mean you are "LOOKING" it is okay, and the shows are okay.

Sorry, but none of the evening production shows indicate age appropriate.

You would see the same stuff on TV rated G.

Actually, yes they do! In the Fun Times, with the write-up of the show, it said "PG due to costuming" for a few of the shows. It did not have this rating for the Welcome Aboard Show, though. They called that friendly for all ages. I was sitting in the balcony, so I was not aware if the dancers were in thongs or not.

So, once again, if you're unsure, the balcony is a good way to go! :)

I can totally understand the OPs concerns. I am a protective parent as well and IF I was taking my son on our trip, I would want to avoid these shows as well. However, I realize that the decks and beaches would offer much more nudity than a ship show could ever. Case in point, we took a family vacation to Sea World San Antonio last summer. Family marine park, right? Safe, right? NOPE!

We were in the wave pool with a million other people. DH spotted her first. A woman was in the pool with a white "wife beater" shirt on and nothing under it. Lets just say somethings can not be unseen!:eek: We didn't freak or make a big deal out of it, we just moved away. DS never saw her.

Reaction to it draws attention to it. And our son (adopted) has unfortunately seen more adult sexual behavior than any child should have, so we are very aware of what he watches and sees. But instead of pointing it out, we ignore it and answer any questions he may have(and he doesn't have many) or address any comments he may make(he makes plenty of those). Making a big deal out of it will only make them more interested in it. But, children are very observant and very curious so make it a great opportunity to teach them about respecting their bodies and others.

I would worry more about the beach. I saw one woman at Paradise Beach in Cozumel strip and change into her swimsuit right on the beach.

I love the welcome aboard show, but it might not always be appropriate for sheltered children.

There will be family shows for the comedians at punchliner comedy club, but the humor could still be on subjects that aren't appropriate for your kids.

Young kids tend to ignore these things unless the adults make a fuss. When they begin to get a bit older (8-ish) they begin to notice and like the kids that they are- point and giggle. But I find it hard to imagine any kids in the American culture who have not been exposed to these things- on TV, in advertisments, on billboards- it is everyplace. So despite being a very prudish society in many ways, we are also surrounded by sex and violence. Things that in my day would have had you arrested are now just normal daily life. What I think about it hardly matters- it is there. I had to fight myself the other day not to call out I see London I see France- I see someones underpants- at a high school guy with BRIGHT red underpants and jeans nearly at his knees.

I don't know anything about the Dream, but we are just off Freedom and the shows where the girls wore thongs were clearly marked as PG for costuming. I remember thongs on my Spirit cruise, and it seemed to make sense as part of the "showgirl" costume, in this case the Ticket to Ride show (we didn't see the New Orleans show, so I don't know if they wore them or not) the costuming didn't make sense, it was just like they were trying to be risque for the sake of it. I don't really care either way, but we weren't that impressed with the dancing, and I wondered if the costuming requirement may keep some of the better dancers off the line... (I know dancers wear some very very small costumes, but I know a few professional dancers, and none dance in thongs.)

The family friendly comedy shows had frequent sex jokes, just of the variety that kids shouldn't understand (but you'll have to deal with "what? what's that mean?"). One had a lot of "hell" and "damn" used in it. I couldn't stay up late enough for the adult comedy, but I was kind of shocked by what passed for family friendly- to Carnival it clearly means "kids can be in the room" not "this is a comedy show kids will enjoy".

The "Legends" show at the end, where guests sing Karoeke also had some very suggestive dancing by the male dancers, in very skimpy costumes to "Like a Virgin"- enough so that I think I may have been embarassed now to be with my parents while watching (men in Daisy Duke length shorts pelvic thrusting).

Shows on Carnival might not be the thing for overprotective parents, but I agree with the others who think this is the least of your worries. We saw women in thongs at every beach we went to (Eastern Carribean) and Dream was in at least one of our ports. Not to mention the cruisers in the cabin just down the hall who liberally screamed the f-word everytime they were in the hall. And these were 30 somethings...who weren't always drunk.

My husband and I sailed the Dream in June 2010 and being our first time i was not sure how the shows were going to be.. I have to say Carnival is family friendly and the show Dancin in the streets is a Must see.. all ages i believe woiuld enjoy it. it is only done once so dont miss it because you wont be able to see it again on that trip we also saw another show and enjoyed that one also.. they are young adults but i didnt see any buttcheeks or any offensive dancing.. we are taking our daughters next month on the Inspiration and cant wait to take them to the shows they are 12 and 7.. Go and enjoy yourselves your on vacation there are no nudity shows there.. very respectful shows in my opinion.. :D

I can totally understand the OPs concerns. I am a protective parent as well and IF I was taking my son on our trip, I would want to avoid these shows as well.

I hate when I have to quote someone, and I know somewhere else in this thread someone briefly mentioned what I'm about to say. But I really don't think this topic has anything to do with how protective you are over your children. As I posted earlier in this thread, while on a family cruise, my "family" will go see the shows. I don't believe that makes me any less protective over my children that most. In fact most people who know me say I am too protective and need to let go a little....

But again, the word "protective" and this subject don't mix. I know the original OP said she was over-protective too. IMO, that's what it is, an opinion, period. For someone to assume that I'm not looking out for the best interest of my children, because to DH and myself those costumes are not something that's worth covering eyes over, kinda make me a bit:mad: !!!

Also want to point out that if you leave your kids at camp carnival, the counselors are the ones that bring the kiddos to the shows:rolleyes:

I hate when I have to quote someone, and I know somewhere else in this thread someone briefly mentioned what I'm about to say. But I really don't think this topic has anything to do with how protective you are over your children. As I posted earlier in this thread, while on a family cruise, my "family" will go see the shows. I don't believe that makes me any less protective over my children that most. In fact most people who know me say I am too protective and need to let go a little....

But again, the word "protective" and this subject don't mix. I know the original OP said she was over-protective too. IMO, that's what it is, an opinion, period. For someone to assume that I'm not looking out for the best interest of my children, because to DH and myself those costumes are not something that's worth covering eyes over, kinda make me a bit:mad: !!!

Also want to point out that if you leave your kids at camp carnival, the counselors are the ones that bring the kiddos to the shows:rolleyes:

Since you quoted me....I was NOT in anyway making the assumption that anyone else that reads this board is less protective as a parent than I. I made a statement that I am a protective parent that would want to shield my child from this kind of attire. I also went on to explain WHY further down in my post. And again, stated that I realize that there would be more skin to be seen on the ship and ports and that we would not make an issue of it. Please, quote me if you wish, but don't take it out of context or take it personally.

And protective in regards to parenting does mix with the subject. If a parent does not want their child to see any potentially sexualized attire on performers or other vacationers, then perhaps cruising to Caribbean ports is not the best vacation for them. My child is not going on our cruise for this and several other reasons. It doesn't mean that he won't one day, but not right now. And it doesn't mean I'm offended by the attire either (I wear thongs and low cut tops when its appropriate). I just don't want my adoptive DS, who has already seen more skin than a 7 year old should, to continue to be exposed to it until we work through some issues.

Just beware - my niece and nephew (9/10) were in Camp Carnival last week on Dream with us - their age group was brought to "Dancin in the Streets." They sat in the center balcony section. They also went on a scavenger hunt - and were in and about the pool area during that. Truthfully, I don't know how you are going to "protect" them on a cruise, or on any vacation, for that matter. We were in Disney this past August, and the resort bathing wear at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach was also string bikinis, speedos (which show graphic "packages" when wet) etc. Maybe if you don't point it out to your kids, they won't notice? Just a quick story - when my kids were 4/7 we went on our first vacation out of the country to Jamaica. We went to FDR's - touted as a nice family resort- which it was. However, the resort next to us was not a "nice family resort" and we shared a beach. It was a clothing optional beach, and no one wore clothing, which we didn't know until we went there the next morning. We had our kids playing in the sand, and a nice guy walks out of the water right up to us and starts a conversation. Now his "thingy" was swaying in the breeze pretty much at my kid's heads level - they never noticed. They were talking to him also! Dh and I were dying a slow death till he walked back in the water. When we asked the kids if they noticed anything - they said "his accent?" Love the innocence of kids!

Great post!!

I get so upset when parents inadvertantly instill in children, that the human body is something that one needs to cover or else it's 'bad'.

...makes me shudder.

but, to each, his own.

Since you quoted me....I was NOT in anyway making the assumption that anyone else that reads this board is less protective as a parent than I. I made a statement that I am a protective parent that would want to shield my child from this kind of attire. I also went on to explain WHY further down in my post. And again, stated that I realize that there would be more skin to be seen on the ship and ports and that we would not make an issue of it. Please, quote me if you wish, but don't take it out of context or take it personally.

And protective in regards to parenting does mix with the subject. If a parent does not want their child to see any potentially sexualized attire on performers or other vacationers, then perhaps cruising to Caribbean ports is not the best vacation for them. My child is not going on our cruise for this and several other reasons. It doesn't mean that he won't one day, but not right now. And it doesn't mean I'm offended by the attire either (I wear thongs and low cut tops when its appropriate). I just don't want my adoptive DS, who has already seen more skin than a 7 year old should, to continue to be exposed to it until we work through some issues.

I don't get it, how much skin should a 7 year old see? and when is it appropriate for you to run around in your thong and low cut top in front of your son?

Never mind,

If you are shielding your son from the content, great, but when is it appropriate? when he is 15, or 17, or 18? what then, surprise, there are boobs and butts out there, and he just got them blocked from his memory and now, WOW, they are back.

Now I don't know your sons story, and don't need or want too, but I think the point of this thread is, If you are going on a cruise, and bringing your kids, it is going to be there, so don't make a big deal of it, and unless your child is going to start humping everything in site, let a kid be a kid, and enjoy the real show, not making a big deal about the buttcheeks. remember while they are dancing and their butts are or are not hanging out, there is a show going on, with singing and dancing. That is why you are in the showroom.

Buttcheeks, bikini's and thongs.... oh my! :eek::D

Really, the shows on the stage are not that big of a deal...If you are that worried about it, then you need to be concerned about the shows by the pool.... I have seen a lot more than buttcheeks! (lady lost her bottoms getting out of the pool :eek:)

I commend you for teaching your children good morals! Good for you!!

I would go to the guest services desk when you board and ask them your question. They should know exactly what the costumes are for each show.

Enjoy your cruise!

What does shielding your children from "buttcheaks" (sic) without their knowledge have to do with teaching them morals?:confused: Are butt cheeks immoral?

So, it looks like the karaoke, family comedian, legends show, and perhaps the welcome aboard shows would be the ones we would feel more comfortable with from what people have posted here. I definitely know that people will be wearing swim attire on decks. The difference to me (as is posted by another) is that if someone on deck is wearing something revealing, I'm not going to sit and stare at them for an hour as my entertainment. You just continue with what you are doing and not pay too much attention to them. I know most of you don't understand this point of view. That's okay. I was just looking for some information. I think I have what I need now. Thanks to those that were helpful. :)

How old and what gender are your children? I ask because I have a funny story about NOT staring at bathing-suit (or lack thereof) clad women.

Back in 2004, we sailed Carnival Victory. My boys were 13.5 and 16 years old. That was when there used to be a topless deck available for sunbathing. It was up high, out of the way, and the railing was covered by a tarp to afford privacy. Or so Carnival thought.

One day in particular, the boys spent a lot of time using the water slide. It looked like they were having fun so we thought nothing of their repeated trips. Then my DH and the other adult males in our group joined the boys. Their sudden interest in the slide piqued my interest, so I went for a go. Imagine my surprise when I stood on the top platform of the water slide and looked towards the topless deck. The platform of the slide was HIGHER than the railing of the topless deck, so I had quite the revealing view. It was then that I discovered the reason the boys kept using the slide. We had quite a discussion that day.

They learned some things and I learned some things. Mainly I learned that what I don't find interesting, like women in skimpy thong bikinis and men in Speedos, children found fascinating and stared at for long periods of time.

As a mother myself, I understand your wanting to shield your kids as long as possible. Please don't let other posters on this thread make the rest of us look rude and nasty. They aren't raising your kids, you are. You know what's right and what's wrong for your family.

Buttcheeks, bikini's and thongs.... oh my! :eek::D

Really, the shows on the stage are not that big of a deal...If you are that worried about it, then you need to be concerned about the shows by the pool.... I have seen a lot more than buttcheeks! (lady lost her bottoms getting out of the pool :eek:)

that is true, I always keep my camera ready when out by the pool, and never take it to the shows,

Ya that is me, with the large zoom lense, and video camera just in case.

that is true, I always keep my camera ready when out by the pool, and never take it to the shows,

Ya that is me, with the large zoom lense, and video camera just in case.

Ummmm, okaaay...(backs out of the room slowly).

:D:DYou probably have a wealth of incriminating photos then.

Archived