passports

anjanetted

As far as I can tell my familly and I will not need passports for our cruise but I thought I would ask to be sure. We are flying to San Juan and cruising to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. I know there are a few shore excursions that require passports but from the carnival website it appears that all we need are birth certificates.

hmmm . I thought you had to leave from a U.S. Port .. is San Juan considered a U.S. port?? Im not so sure on this one. I think you might need one to leave from any foreign port.

The no passport rule is for leaving from the U.S. to certain designated ports carribean, some in central america, on a closed loop cruise.

If the cruise returns to SJ then the basic answer is: "No, you do not need passports."

If you search around Cruise Critic you will find a number (a large number) of threads about passports.

There was a recent thread about some people with birth certificates that were not official certificates but hospital certificates. They ended up denied boarding.

It can also be a real hassle if you have to get back to the states in case of an emergency.

There are a number of other circumstances where a passport is the best option.

Since you say family I'm guessing that the investment would be $400 or more for passports for everybody.

Do as you wish. But, make sure if you use the BC's that they are the official government issued ones.....and good luck.

Charlie

As far as I can tell my familly and I will not need passports for our cruise but I thought I would ask to be sure. We are flying to San Juan and cruising to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. I know there are a few shore excursions that require passports but from the carnival website it appears that all we need are birth certificates.

It is "for now" correct that you do not need a passport to cruise from San Juan. The only problem you could run into is if there is an emergency while on your cruise and you need to fly home from say Barbados. Now that could be a problem. Personally I would never leave the country without a passport (and this is just my personal opinion) Last year we took my grandson on a cruise to bermuda. We told our daughter if she didn't get him a passport he would need to stay home. He got the passport! I hope you think twice about this and get a passport just for safety sake.

Good luck with what ever you decide and have a wonderful cruise!!!

hmmm . I thought you had to leave from a U.S. Port .. is San Juan considered a U.S. port?? Im not so sure on this one. I think you might need one to leave from any foreign port.

The no passport rule is for leaving from the U.S. to certain designated ports carribean, some in central america, on a closed loop cruise.

Yes, San Juan is part of the US.

It is "for now" correct that you do not need a passport to cruise from San Juan. The only problem you could run into is if there is an emergency while on your cruise and you need to fly home from say Barbados. Now that could be a problem. Personally I would never leave the country without a passport (and this is just my personal opinion) Last year we took my grandson on a cruise to bermuda. We told our daughter if she didn't get him a passport he would need to stay home. He got the passport! I hope you think twice about this and get a passport just for safety sake.

Good luck with what ever you decide and have a wonderful cruise!!!

It took them 6-7 years after 9-11 to come up with these rules. When they issued them they gave people about a year to comply with the new rules. There is no basis to believe that these rules are about to change and if they do they will give enough warning for such a change.

We took our grandson to Bermuda without a passport without a problem what so ever.

yes if there is an emergency and you have to get off a passport makes coming back to the US much easier but there is still something called an authorization to travel without a passport than can be issued...

and generally a passport is easier but not required...

Archived