Santorini cable cars

Monty'sMomandDad

You could close your eyes, or look out in the distance. The ride lasts about 4 minutes. It is tucked up against the cliff.

If you are truly afraid of heights, you may have a problem. Of course, many (but not all) of the sites of Santorini involve the cliffs.

One option is to sit with your back to the water. I did that as I am not crazy about heights. It worked fine but a time or two I thought the car was going to hit the cliff :eek:, it comes very close. On the way back I got up the nerve to face the water, the view is fabulous!

Kirk

It really doesn't sway. My OH never goes on cable cars, but managed this fine. It feels more like a funicular than a cable car, as you are never riding in the air above open land.

kate

Huh? On Santorini, you are suspended from a cable, above the ground. It is like a ski lift, except the cars are enclosed, you don't get off and on like a ski left, and there isn't any snow. There can be some sway.

According to Wikipedia, a cable car travels on the ground. Like San Francisco's cable cars. A funicular also travels on the ground.

I am a total wimp on cable cars and yet wouldn't do it any other way. Smell like a donkey all day? climb? (actually I did this once) No just sit facing the hillside and all is good the ride is short and painless.

We rode the donkeys and didnt smell all day !! :) But I wouldnt walk up - you will smell then......poop on the walkway

We did ride the cable car down however. I too dont like riding such things but it is pretty much the only way down but walk......

Yes the car does sort of swing out when it first takes off......then goes down at a very steep angle. Kind of unnerving, but it doesnt swing after that and it goes really fast. I was more concerned at the time since a VERY large gentleman got on our car when there were already 5 people in it. There is a weight limit and I was ???? if we were over.

So there it is...... the bare truth- go ride the cars and have a great day on Santorini !

As others have said, it's a very gentle ride up so just look out towards the sea if you have any sort of problems with this sort of thing. This shows the view from the top

and also the steps route down with the donkeys. If you do walk back down allow 20 minutes as the stones are slippery even when not wet so you can't really run down them.

What a georgeous island, I hope you all have a great day there.

Tony

I don't remember it swaying...

One other option would be to take a ship's tour on Santorini...I think they got those folks off somewhere else where buses were waiting and they did not have to do cable car or donkey...perhaps someone else can verify-we did Santorini on our own so cable car, donkeys or walking were our only option...

Just how terrifying is the ride up and coming down on the cable cars? I am afraid of heights and any swaying of the car would send me over the edge!:eek:

We took a ship excursion, and came down the cable at night. It was not frightening at all. I don't recommend riding the donkeys. My Son in Law took his two boys up and down on the donkeys. One donkey tried to bite one of the boys. Also, the path is full of you know what.

Perhaps "sway" was not the best choice of words.

But when it left the covered area where you get in and goes out over the edge it did swing out. Not multiple times but just out and back.....from then on it was smooth.

To someone who doesnt like riding on things on cables (elevators or cars or whatever) even one "swing" makes your stomach jump....at least mine.

To original poster: After the first 10 seconds it was a really nice ride down. I would get on, close my eyes for a little bit and then enjoy. The views are really good !

The cable car carriages each hold six people, in two rows of three, facing each other. Both rows look inwards. The car is enclosed; structure from waist level downwards, glass or other transparent material from there up. There are ventilation slots in some of the windows, but I don't think the windows open. If you look down (i.e between your legs) you just see the floor of the carriage, you can't look past your feet to the ground - there's a floor beneath you.

I did some timings on an earlier visit and put them into my blog. I've got some pictures of the cable cars here and there, but Cruise Critic doesn't allow links to another cruise forum so I can't post direct links. However, if you go to this page on my blog and then look at the 'Santorini 2006' and 'Santorini Cablecars' links, you'll find them.

If you're not happy with heights, the best advice is to sit facing upwards, i.e. looking towards the land. If you do that, all you can see is a close up of the cliff face just a few yards away from you. If you want a spectacular view, however, sit facing the other way - you get a great view of the caldera.

• 2 weeks later...

"One other option would be to take a ship's tour on Santorini...I think they got those folks off somewhere else where buses were waiting and they did not have to do cable car or donkey"

This is not exactly correct. Most tours pick you up at the old port (no cable cars) but drop you off in town where you have to take the cable car back.

There is one poster who said they were on Princess and found a ship tour that did not involve cable cars on the way back - but this is a rarity, I've searched, as I am terrified already.

I faced inside and it was fine....question..how long did it take for your ship to disembark the shore excursion people and then get over for those taking the cable cars up to meet private drivers?

Sherry

As was heavily discussed on another thread here about Santorini, depending on the size of your ship, and the number of other ships present (which may drain the supply of local tenders which are required to be used) about 45 or so minutes at the first drop off, then about 15-20 mins repositioning the ship to the second location.

Here is the other thread; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282698

I think I am the poster Dayenu is thinking of. We did the Grand Princess in Oct '08 and did the "Island Drive" through Princess that did not entail the donkey or cable car. We were tendered to the other/older port where the buses were waiting. It is still a steep climb, but I felt much safer enclosed on the bus on solid terra firma, and just rode up with my eyes closed.

We went to a winery, a black sand beach and to the highest point of Santorini. We missed Fira and Oia both, but enjoyed our day. At the end of the tour, we were given the option of being dropped in Fira or taking the bus back down to the pier we had left from. We opted to stay on the bus back down.

And I don't feel I missed a thing, not going on that cable car!

i don't like heights, but did not fancy the trek up with the donkey's either.

unfortunatley for me we got into the last cable car, going up, we had my mother inlaw with us and she was making things worse by talking about what happens if the car stops would my husband get out to try and fix it, like in the movies, I was petrified...... at this point she dropped her camera on the floor with a thud...... my heart was in my mouth.....

I was froze to the spot...... I had tears rolling down my cheeks,did it put me off coming back down........ no way, it was the quickest route and when I did sneak a peak at the veiw it was amazing. like one of the other poste'rs says sit facing in towards the cliff

Go and enjoy it's a beautiful island, I'am going back again in May and yes I will be on the cable car, but my mother inlaw won't.......:p

It really is fine, Im terrified of heights and was so scared before we went up. If you can ,sit facing the cliff side on the way up, it doesnt go very far from the cliff face and I cant remember it swaying. On the way back I sat facing the water but looked straight out and not down , after a short while I was looking everywhere, its amazing. I think its ok because the cars seat 6 people at a time and there enclosed and feel very light and airy and your at the top before you know it.

Im so envious of you Santorini is a wonderful place, enjoy.

We were just there in November and I was dreading the ride. Initially, I had decided to not

get off the ship with my husband and friends and just stay on board and relax, however, after reading some suggestions from others on this board I decided to go. I won't tell you that I wasn't scared because I was and I was extremely grateful when the cable car docked but I was able to make the trip and I would do it again the next time we are there. I just sat in the middle, facing towards the cliff and closed my eyes. Next thing I knew we were docked. I don't remember the car shaking or swaying.

Hope you enjoy Santorini!

Just how terrifying is the ride up and coming down on the cable cars? I am afraid of heights and any swaying of the car would send me over the edge!:eek:

I hope this will help and not make you more concerned' date=' but here are a few pictures of Fira I took from our ship.

2460122200028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

The cable cars are on the left side of the picture and you can see the walking/donkey trail winding up to the top just left of center. A little hard to see the cable cars, but the white building far left is where the cable car start at the bottom and the dark cave like area at the top of the picture is where the cable cars end.

If you face the hillside it not that bad. Seeing Fira and Oia is worth it. Once there here is some of the great sites you will get to see.

2475244520028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

2671163750028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

2135459260028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

Enjoy, DT

Archived