Serious post-What not to pack?

1937olds

For the 1st time cruisers-- suggestions of what not to pack (besides the prohibited items listed on Celebrity's page) All of you experienced cruisers

have already figured out what you have taken in the past and do not really need. How about some suggestions?

Before my first cruise I read all about over-the-door organizers, electrical tape, etc ... all sorts of crazy stuff. Glad I never brought any of that because I've never needed anything out of the ordinary (nothing that I wouldn't have packed for any other type vacation).

I would like to say that a thermal mug was something that my husband who drinks coffee really appreciated that I brought. Personally, I wouldn't bring high heels, I don't feel steady enough in them, a nice pair of dress shoes is way sufficient. But then I'm older and not a fashionista.

Don't pack shampoo or conditioner. Not only are they a drag if you are flying, but you won't need them on the ship. I do pack a large pocketbook and then a much smaller one--I use the smaller one to go to dinner and lug the large one about during the day.

Remember any medications; also I think there will be (or should be) a laundromat on board so you might do a laundry and get away with bringing fewer items of clothing.

I second that, half as many clothes and twice as much cash!!

We've only been on one cruise so obviously I am not any kind of expert...but I sure can attest to all of the above recommendations - especially the one quoted above!! Seriously, only take half the clothes and cut down on the number of pairs of shoes. Pack clothes that can be mixed and matched and coordinated easily.

My husband and I are not big drinkers, but our alcohol budget went through the roof. Turns out we like to drink a lot more than we thought we did :D

I disagree about the shampoo/conditioner IF you have dry hair or hair that frizzes.

I've learned to cut down on the shoes: 1 pair flip flops, one pair dressy sandals and 1 pair dress shoes. I only bring tennis shoes if it's cold when we're flying and I need something warm on my feet.

Honestly if you could pack less shoes, I packed way to many shoes. One common pair that will go with everything will do just fine. Thats what I am doing the next time, and less clothes, you end up wearing the most comfortable things, over and over. I packed way too much stuff.

Before my first cruise I read all about over-the-door organizers, electrical tape, etc ... all sorts of crazy stuff. Glad I never brought any of that because I've never needed anything out of the ordinary (nothing that I wouldn't have packed for any other type vacation).

MTE. Before our first cruise, I had read lists and lists of all sorts of crazy things to take. We didn't take any of it and didn't miss it at all.

What's a pocket book?

Don't bring separate outfits... mix and match is the way to go. I pack based on one dark neutral, either black or navy. Everything else goes with that base color and I don't need two sets of shoes. Three tops and two bottoms makes six outfits. 'Nuff said.

Cut out the extra formal attire... a dressy pair of black pants/heels can turn into a week of evening clothes. Add a sparkly top for dress up, add a blouse or sweater set for the other nights. Same thing can be done with a black skirt or LBD. If you need to have something laundered, send it out.

On toiletries I bring way less than I used to. I only bring the sample size and if I have any leftover, I leave it. I don't bring regular size on anything... including toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, perfume. I bring the minimum on makeup, too, just powder, two shades shadow, one blush, one mascara, two lipsticks. Use the hairdryer provided. Use the bathrobe provided. If you know you won't go to the gym.. leave the workout wear at home. Sundresses can double as a bathing suit coverup.

If you're traveling with someone, don't bring doubles... only one of you needs to bring sunscreen, for example.

My final advice... "When in doubt, leave it out." If you're not SURE you need it, you don't need it!

Very proud of my wife Lauren! -- she only packed two pairs of dress shoes for a 15 night cruise, on the Queen Mary 2, no less. Five formal nights, six informal, and four casual.

Onboard laundry is your best friend!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I would bring less casual clothes then you think you will need. There were many times when we got dressed for breakfast or lunch and then were in our bathing suits the rest of the days - sea days. You can wear them again since they are still clean, we would wear them the next port day.

I will say I am the opposite of some on here, I love wearing different outfits for formal nights and always bring the jewelry, shoes, small clutch purse to match. I bring sundresses for casual nights with sandles.

I probably pack way too much, ha... but figure it is my vacation so I want to enjoy and be happy, I don't worry about the extra charge for the suitcase, we normally always have 2 a piece plus a carry on for jewerly and medicine.

But I am also weird and bring a small fan - need the white noise to sleep :)

Archived