Carnival to Canada vs Caribbean

Peace2U

HI. We are hopefully going to New England/Canada on Glory in June. I didn't want to book a Caribbean cruise on Carnival because I didn't want a big party atmosphere. How different is a Canada cruise from a Caribbean cruise in the type of atmosphere we will encounter? Thanks!

The only drunks Iv encountered were on RCL. ... why would you assume its one big party on Carnival?? Maybe what you consider a party is different than my impression.

I could say Iv never encountered what I would consider one big party .. but thats me.

HI. We are hopefully going to New England/Canada on Glory in June. I didn't want to book a Caribbean cruise on Carnival because I didn't want a big party atmosphere. How different is a Canada cruise from a Caribbean cruise in the type of atmosphere we will encounter? Thanks!

I live in Canada so wouldn't take a cruise to there so I can't speak of the atmosphere on the cruise to there. However, we've taken 4 RCI cruises, 1 Princess and have our 4th Carnival cruise to the Caribbean booked. I see by your signature that you have never done a Carnival. In the 3 Carnival cruises we have taken we saw no more of a party ship then we did on RCI. People are having fun and drinking just like the RCI ships. What you are hearing about the "party" atmosphere is a leftover from the 80's IMHO. Unless you choose a 3 day quick and cheap cruise on a Carnival ship, you aren't going to see any more of that on Carnival then you would on RCI. So take it from this experienced cruiser, book the cruise you want and put that party stuff out of your mind.

We did the 5 day cruise last summer. Didn't find any different atmosphere than any other cruise. Had a great time. We "hit" good weather, so that helped. (no fog, warm temps) I would definitely do one again for a "quick escape" with no air needed!

Hi

I have a cousin who is the fussiest person I know...ABOUT EVERYTHING.

Two years ago when she told me she was going on a Carnival cruise, I thought, Oh Boy...here we go! She will be demanding her money back before they hit international waters....( I had heard lots of Carnival stories too and would only sail on NCL or HAL)

Turns out...two years later she is still talking about the great ship, great food, and great time she had..

I will be taking my grandchildren on the Glory in June..never been on Carnival before...But not that I have it on HIGHER AUTHORITY, I know it will be a great time...:)

I think you are confusing a fun ship with a party ship. They are not the same.

But a Canada cruise just always seems to be "off", and I've yet to ever be able to explain it. The food's not as good, the service is lacking, it's just "off".

Basically the same clientele, though.

I think you are confusing a fun ship with a party ship. They are not the same.

But a Canada cruise just always seems to be "off", and I've yet to ever be able to explain it. The food's not as good, the service is lacking, it's just "off".

Basically the same clientele, though.

Oh, dear. I have invited many friends on this cruise. For some, this will be their first cruise. I hope I don't scare them away with an "off" cruise. :confused:

Oh, dear. I have invited many friends on this cruise. For some, this will be their first cruise. I hope I don't scare them away with an "off" cruise. :confused:

If they have nothing to compare it to, it won't be "off" to them.

And by no means don't think they were unenjoyable, or I wouldn't have done three of them! :)

I may still do another as I've yet to be on a Conquest class ship.

Be prepared for some cooler weather in NE and Canada in June. While I love three of our four seasons here in the NE, June can be unpredictable

and the temperatures can range from 60-70 with the occasional 75.

We cruise on Carnival in February to the Carribbean to help us get thru "that fourth season":)

we took this cruise in late august 2007 on the victory and it was fabulous...90 degrees for 5 days and the ship was very nice and we felt as though we were on a Carib. cruise...got a great tan.

However, I had friends go the 3rd week of June and it was cloudy and windy and cool. I personally would only do this itin in August.

the crowd on the ship was a mix of families and singles and couples and people who you know can't get away for more than 4 or 5 days..or so they think..or think it is too expensive to take a 7 day cruise..or who are just trying CCL out or who are seasoned savvy cruisers...in other words a very nice mix of people. from the..tri state area and the environs seemed to make up our ship..but I could see someone visiting NYC and then taking this cruise...no problems or issues at all with the pax and I want to take this itin again but it is not long enough and we are saving to back to the Med. on a 12 day cruise...which is still not long enough IMHO!!:D:)

We have taken one Canadian cruise and about 20 Caribbean ones.

Canada cruise was in October and definitely colder with an older crowd.

No swimming no shorts go outside in heavy jackets.

Greart scenery and was a great cruise. Have sailed on Glory but Canada and Caribbean and did not see a difference in the crew.

Was great sailing down the Hudson.

I would go back but DW like warm weather cruises so will be a year or so before I talk her into another one.

I am 60 and hubby is 68 we have been on 3 Carnival cruises and our next one is Saturday. Some of the nicest people I have ever met. No it is not one big party, it is what you make of it, for us a wonderful time.:)

I was on the glory last July, It was definitely one of the best cruises I have been on.

We had so much fun. The only downer was it was a 5 night not 7, nobody wanted to go home. I loved the ports the people were so friendly. I was also worried about the weather.

we were very lucky it was 80 and sunny I never saw any fog.

We've found that fellow passengers on Carnival are very similar, whether sailing to Canada from New York, or to Mexico from Mobile. However, although Carnival does a great job at entertaining people on Caribbean cruises with the likes of the Hairy Chest Contest and the Bartending Competition, we feel that Carnival doesn't do as good of a job at keeping people entertained on cooler weather cruises when people stay indoors.

On our Canada cruise, there seemed to be a lot of "dead" time between activities, and there seemed to be more people with nothing more to do than just roaming around the ship aimlessly.

We did cruise at the beginning of June and the temperature dipped in the mid 40's (F) for two days! The seas were very choppy and on the last day, the fog was so thick that our return to NYC was delayed until 2pm.

With that said, the ports were great and we had a wonderful time exploring a different corner of the world.

We had a great time on our Canada cruise. However, had my kids been with us they would have hated it. The cooler temps...not being able to enjoy the pools, it just was a little more relaxed for us. I think it will be a perfect choice for a relaxing cruise. You will definately still have those folks who like to have a little too much fun. Happens wherever you go though! Have a great time!!!

I was on the glory last July, It was definitely one of the best cruises I have been on.

We had so much fun. The only downer was it was a 5 night not 7, nobody wanted to go home. I loved the ports the people were so friendly. I was also worried about the weather.

we were very lucky it was 80 and sunny I never saw any fog.

Same cruise dates! I think we "lucked out" with the weather, from what I had read before (it was cold and rainy) and after (foggy and cold) the cruise. But you can get good or bad weather in the Caribbean at any given time also. As far as the clientel on the ship - it was no better or worse than any other cruise we have been on. Pretty much everyone seemed well-behaved.

Five times for us on the Canada cruises, with #6 booked for July. (Mr. Pete, how about giving Conquest-class a chance over July 4? We have an aft wrap booked!:D) As others have said, the weather can be variable. However, this is what the Lido deck looked like when we sailed in 2008:

2380185400094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Some of our cruises have had absolutely no fog. Others have sailed in and out of fog. On our 2007 cruise, we didn't even know we were docking in Halifax until we felt the thrusters kick in, the visibility was that bad. (At least the ship docks in the fog. Last year we returned late to Galveston aboard Conquest because they closed the port due to fog.)

There is a different feel to a Canada cruise, but it has nothing to do with passengers. It's a mix of all ages - maybe there's the occasional loud, obnoxious passenger, but it's not the norm. Perhaps the different feeling is because you're not sailing to a beach with palm trees, I'm not sure. We love Saint John and Halifax, but you'll know you're not in the Caribbean when you visit.

One of the best features of a Canada cruise is sailing in New York Harbor. We've sailed out of New York, Baltimore, Port Canaveral, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans and Galveston, and New York is hands-down our favorite.

Archived