Carnival to Canada vs Caribbean

Peace2U

Nope, you're not in the Caribbean when you sail to Saint John and Halifax but it's a great cruise! We did a 7-day in late September and had terrible weather but we loved the ports.

The crowds on the ship were older, in fact we coined it the walkers & wheelchairs cruise but we had a group from ages 30-60 and still had a lot of fun. We love Canada....doesn't matter which part, we just love the people there.

It's a different kind of cruise but it's still very nice and I'd do it again in heartbeat. Sailing from NYC (and just spending time in the city) is momentus and I can't wait to do it again someday! :)

We did a lot of things on our own in port (i.e. renting cars and heading out to the seaside and lighthouses). If you go to Portland, look up the schooner that goes to Cow Island - best lobster lunch you'll ever have!! And the kids would like the Schooner ride and the island.

BTW - we're in our 50's and have sailed Carnival almost 25 times and never considered it a "party" ship. We've gone all over the world on Carnival and have enjoyed each cruise even though many of them were different from one another.

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy Canada!

Hello pe4all I remember you from the Glory roll call. I was on that cruise with my family and 4 of my kids friends. The kids had such a good time that when they went home and told their parents it was the best time of their life. The families book the next cruise with us. We are all going on the Miracle out of NYC to Bermuda for spring break. One of my sons friends even won Miss Glory.

Carnival YEARS AGO was the party cruiseline but no longer... fun yes... crazy drunk people any different then any of the other cruiselines, no. I remember the days of the drinking games and such... now it's triva and survivor type games.

You would have better weather and ports to the caribbean but to each their own. They would have to pay ME to go to Canada lol

Hello pe4all I remember you from the Glory roll call. I was on that cruise with my family and 4 of my kids friends. The kids had such a good time that when they went home and told their parents it was the best time of their life. The families book the next cruise with us. We are all going on the Miracle out of NYC to Bermuda for spring break. One of my sons friends even won Miss Glory.

Hi Lynn! We also had a great time on that cruise. Took my 82 year old mom to celebrate her birthday, and she had a blast. My dh did the Hairy Chest contest - came in 3rd! My dd and I will be going on the Glory again during President's week break - can't wait. Have a great time on Miracle.:)

HI. We are hopefully going to New England/Canada on Glory in June. I didn't want to book a Caribbean cruise on Carnival because I didn't want a big party atmosphere. How different is a Canada cruise from a Caribbean cruise in the type of atmosphere we will encounter? Thanks!

Carnival is Carnival. The atmosphere is the same whether they are sailing in the Caribbean, Canada, Alaska, or the Med.

As an FYI, I have been on four of the mass market lines and none of them have a party atmosphere, unless it is around the hairy chest contest at the pool.

Nope, you're not in the Caribbean when you sail to Saint John and Halifax but it's a great cruise! We did a 7-day in late September and had terrible weather but we loved the ports.

The crowds on the ship were older, in fact we coined it the walkers & wheelchairs cruise but we had a group from ages 30-60 and still had a lot of fun. We love Canada....doesn't matter which part, we just love the people there.

It's a different kind of cruise but it's still very nice and I'd do it again in heartbeat. Sailing from NYC (and just spending time in the city) is momentus and I can't wait to do it again someday! :)

We did a lot of things on our own in port (i.e. renting cars and heading out to the seaside and lighthouses). If you go to Portland, look up the schooner that goes to Cow Island - best lobster lunch you'll ever have!! And the kids would like the Schooner ride and the island.

BTW - we're in our 50's and have sailed Carnival almost 25 times and never considered it a "party" ship. We've gone all over the world on Carnival and have enjoyed each cruise even though many of them were different from one another.

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy Canada!

It does seem like an older, maybe a little less party crowd. I have never been on a New England/Canada cruise for obvious reasons, but grew up in Bar Harbor area and now live near Portland so we see the passengers all the time when they are in port. I can tell you that these cruises just get more and more popular, they have added stops steadily for the past 5 years and now Portland is expanding it's docking capacity just for the cruise ships. Early September is probably the best time to cruise up this way, as long as you don't have kids in school to worry about.

Pack for anything. In Halifax we had 30 degree weather with gusting winds and in Boston and Bar Harbor it was in the nineties. This was at the end of September.

We absolutely had more seniors than we experience on our Caribbean sailings...more than Alaska as well. I don't know if this was because it was a Princess ship or the itinerary, but it was very noticeable. I'm not talking fifties and sixties (I'm in my fifties), I'm talking eighties. I noticed alot more activities in the early evening which was a nice change. The downside was that tendering had some unique challenges.

• 2 weeks later...
Pack for anything. In Halifax we had 30 degree weather with gusting winds and in Boston and Bar Harbor it was in the nineties. This was at the end of September.

Oh no, I hate cold weather! We're cruising in June so if it gets below 50, I won't be very happy. I'll live though.

HI. We are hopefully going to New England/Canada on Glory in June. I didn't want to book a Caribbean cruise on Carnival because I didn't want a big party atmosphere. How different is a Canada cruise from a Caribbean cruise in the type of atmosphere we will encounter? Thanks!

hi- i have done both caribbean and the new england cruise thru carnival and i can tell you that i have never encountered a crazy "party" atmosphere on any carnival cruise. ( done 4 of them total ). I agree this is leftover from the 80's. I can tell you that the new england cruise we did last sept 2010- was very quiet, middle age was the average age group. i didn't see any teens or children but we travelled when school was back in, mayber that is why. it was a lovely trip tho, we thoroughly enjoyed it. make sure you go to peggys cove in halifax.

I've taken the 5 day Canadian cruise three times, and I never noticed a difference in the people, atmosphere, food, or activities. There were just as many kids on our Canadian cruise this past July as there were any Caribbean cruise we've been on.

I consider our Canadian cruise this past July one of my favorites. The people in Canada were very friendly, and they didn't swarm us like in the Caribbean. The temperatures were in the mid-to-upper 80s every day, and it was sunny every day. Except for the fog, the weather was similar to our Caribbean cruises. Perhaps a bit cooler, but it wasn't cold by any means.

I personally found the fog to be fun to sail through. It's neat looking out and seeing nothing but white, and as some people already posted, you can get some unique pictures of the whale tail in the fog. And if you're a fan of the fog horn, you get to hear it once a minute all day long! That was interesting as well. :)

The fog rolling in:

[IMG]http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/44725/2382059000106525348S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]

Whale tail before:

[IMG]http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/12912/2620004970106525348S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]

Whale tail after:

[IMG]http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/45206/2446807820106525348S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]

But don't let the pictures deceive you. When you're on the lido deck while it's foggy, the pool area itself seems to be as clear as always. It's only when you look outside of the deck area that it gets foggy.

This picture was taken while it was foggy out. Notice how the view on deck is still pretty clear.

[IMG]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/6801/2142804500106525348S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]

Archived