Explorer of the Seas: Dress codes?

We are first-timers to cruising. I was curious about these "dress codes" they have posted on the Royal Caribbean site.

It seems to indicate no jeans or shorts on the ship. Could that possibly be correct? I know there are formal dinners where you need to dress up, but how "fancy" do we have to pack?

I think you might be misreading the guidelines. From the RC site (red emphasis mine):

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

If you continue to the link about "what to pack", you get to this information:

Onboard attire...

Shorts, t-shirts, slacks, trousers, casual skirts, blouses and sundresses are all perfect during the day, whether indoors or out.

For lounging by the pool, pack two bathing suits (an extra suit in case the other is wet) and a pair of casual shoes (e.g., flip-flops, sandals, sneakers). You'll also need some casual shorts and a couple of t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool areas.

If you're planning to visit our onboard fitness center, be sure to bring extra shorts, t-shirts and socks that you won't mind working out in - plus a pair of tennis or running shoes/sneakers.

Hope that helps!

We are first-timers to cruising. I was curious about these "dress codes" they have posted on the Royal Caribbean site.

It seems to indicate no jeans or shorts on the ship. Could that possibly be correct? I know there are formal dinners where you need to dress up, but how "fancy" do we have to pack?

Fancy is a very relative term:

For casual night, my wife and I dress in festive shirts and outfits. Casual slacks, print shirts for me, Capris or slacks for her with casual tops or blouses. We do abide by the no jeans, no shorts or t-shirt policy. Many men will wear shorts, though technically not allowed (I will withhold my personal opinion on this topic)

For smart casual, we will step up to dress slacks, with more dressy shirts for me and dressier tops for her. You will find very few men wearing ties or jackets on these nights.

For Formal nights, I take a dark suit, shirt and tie. My wife will wear cocktail dresses or fancy pant suits with fancy jackets or sweaters depending on the season. A number of men will wear tuxedos, but they are the minority. I love the look, but I do not own one and won't pay to rent one for two nights on a cruise. (though you can rent on board if you choose). I like to dress up for formal night, but you will also see men in casual night attire and they seem to be just as happy.

YOU WILL GET lots of opinions about this topic as it is one of the hottest topics on CC. With that said, on RCI, the code is very flexible and as long as you present yourself appropriately, it will not interfere with anyones enjoyment of their cruise.

Have a great time and enjoy your first cruise. You will be hooked afterwards.

That's a BIG help. Thank you. We're probably just too excited about this — and didn't look further (as you did, thank you)!

We are booked on an early April cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic, Haiti.

VERY excited!

(by the way, is it worth getting the beverage package? any of them? I guess we can drink coffee and water, but is iced tea on the free list?)

That's a BIG help. Thank you. We're probably just too excited about this — and didn't look further (as you did, thank you)!

We are booked on an early April cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic, Haiti.

VERY excited!

(by the way, is it worth getting the beverage package? any of them? I guess we can drink coffee and water, but is iced tea on the free list?)

I love the Coke package and my wife and I get it on every cruise. We are not drinkers (maybe 3 per cruise), so we love the convenience of just flashing our card in any bar, theater or restaurant and our diet coke just appears. We always get our moneys worth and it is so convenient not to have to sign and pay a tip every time I want a Coke. Please note, the Coke package is only good for fountain Coke, does not apply toy the cans in your mini bar in your cabin. The fountain drinks are available at virtually every spot on the ship.

Water package is useless to me. The tap water on board is as good or better as any bottled water and besides, who wants to drag those huge bottles of water around all week.

Iced Tea is on the included list, though it is not very good. Made from a mix, not brewed. Some like it, I think it taste like dishwater.

PS When in San Juan, you must try the Cafe La Bombonera (sp?). On San Francisco Street, not far from the capital. When there, ask for a Mallorca (pronounced My-Yorka). It is a butter soaked, powdered sugar covered pastry that is amazing.

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/caribbean-and-bermuda/puerto-rico/san-juan/40504/la-bombonera/restaurant-detail.html

It seems to indicate no jeans or shorts on the ship. Could that possibly be correct?

We do abide by the no jeans, no shorts or t-shirt policy.

It actually doesn't say that. Jeans are not mentioned at all in the dress code. I'm not sure where people get this information because I have seen it referred to in the past. :confused:

Anyway, jeans are permitted to be worn on the ship and in fact, many people do wear them. The only place they are specified as "not permitted" is in Izumi Japanese Cuisine on Oasis and Allure of the Seas, and at the Mystery Dinner and the Wine Pairing program on all ships.

OP, enjoy your cruise on Explorer. She is phenominal, and our favorite ship. :)

Though Langley makes a good point, many perceive the vagueness of the policy to be that when the term SLACKS is used, this is meant to mean a mens pant other than Jeans, as RCI specifies when Jeans are acceptable in some of their other guidelines.

I am one who sees it this way. I can easily see how others wouldn't and take no offense at that. I have no problem with cruisers who wear jeans, I just choose not too as I do not find them particularly comfortable to wear in the heat of the tropics and am more comfortable in a summer weight dress slack,.

On casual nights, I've never had a problem with jeans (new, neat and not torn).......relax and enjoy the cruise:D.

First question to ask yourself: Is it YOUR vacation?

If the answer is yes, read below:

Dress how YOU want, understanding that there are "suggested" attire for the Main Dining Room, especially Formal night. Not that you NEED to dress up, but most people will be so you may feel out of place if you are not. But then again, some people wear Thongs in the pool while others wear Bathingsuits and T-shirts, right?

Enjoy Your Vacation, Pack the same as if you were going to a resort somewhere figuring you would go out for an occassional dinner at a fancy restaurant. :D

Though Langley makes a good point, many perceive the vagueness of the policy to be that when the term SLACKS is used, this is meant to mean a mens pant other than Jeans, as RCI specifies when Jeans are acceptable in some of their other guidelines.

I am one who sees it this way. I can easily see how others wouldn't and take no offense at that. I have no problem with cruisers who wear jeans, I just choose not too as I do not find them particularly comfortable to wear in the heat of the tropics and am more comfortable in a summer weight dress slack,.

You're right, it probably comes down to how you define slacks. For me personally, slacks would include jeans as they are slacks made out of denim.

My husband and I have both worn jeans to the MDR for casual or smart casual nights. No problem:D.

Sherri:)

are jean shorts allowed on any night?

If you are asking sincerely, then no, shorts are shorts no matter the material. Since shorts are specifically mentioned in the dress code as not permitted in the dining room (and there may be a sign stating this at the entrance to the DR as well) we respect that and do not wear shorts in the DR at dinner (breakfast and lunch are OK). You can wear shorts to dinner if you go to the Windjammer buffet, which is quite nice at dinner time. We try to eat there a few times at night each cruise.

are jean shorts allowed on any night?

Shorts are never allowed in the MDR for dinner as noted. Elsewhere on the ship is just fine. I know it is not appropriate to comment on grammar or spelling on this board, but you might just check your location as I don't believe it exists.

I know it is not appropriate to comment on grammar or spelling on this board, but you might just check your location as I don't believe it exists.

I guess things are a lot more stringent in Clark, NJ than the rest of New Jersey. Everyone knows the spelling is Schenectady, NY and everyone makes a typo now and then.

Time for a cruise me thinks.

BTW the topic is how to dress on the Explorer.

IMHO people should just go with the flow and be neat, clean and try to fit in. Why make life difficult for all involved? Ad nauseum topic.

Archived