Golden Princess vs. Sapphire Princess

serenity27

Hey all,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts/ reviews and have found them so informative. Thank you! I am a frequent cruiser (mostly on Princess but a little on RC and even less on Carnival). We are looking into taking a last minute trip from LA to Hawaii on either the Golden or the Sapphire and would love feedback on which ship is better (specifically more activities, better CD, do both have MUTS, etc.). We truly appreciate any feedback. Happy cruising!

Hey all,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts/ reviews and have found them so informative. Thank you! I am a frequent cruiser (mostly on Princess but a little on RC and even less on Carnival). We are looking into taking a last minute trip from LA to Hawaii on either the Golden or the Sapphire and would love feedback on which ship is better (specifically more activities, better CD, do both have MUTS, etc.). We truly appreciate any feedback. Happy cruising!

Hi serenity-- i have never been on the Sapphire, but i dont believe that it has an International cafe-- i was on the Golden right after she came out of dry dock and had a total makeover- the Golden now has MUTS, an International cafe and the Crown Grill steak house- -and a covered pool, we really loved the ship. the only drawback is that it didnt have a thermal suite- im not sure if the Sapphire does, im sure someone else will be able to answer that one. if i had to pick one- i would go with the Golden for all the additional amenities.

Hey all,

We're thinking about the Hawaii cruise (as well as several other Caribbean cruises) for the spring. We'd chose the Golden over the Sapphire if we do decide to go to Hawaii. Don't misunderstand me...we were just on the Sapphire last Sept and loved it...we had the best cabin steward as well as waiter & jr waiter. However, the Golden has undergone drydock and thus has MUTS, International Cafe, Vines, etc. With so many sea days, these extras (especially MUTS) will definitely come in handy.

I am sailing the Sapphire to Hawaii the end of Feb. I had the same problem as you, which ship should I choose? I have not sailed either ship. I chose Sapphire because I don't really care for MUTS, too loud, and I love the thermal suite. I think Golden is geared towards Hawaii though so I hope our activities are the same on Sapphire. Have a great trip!

We just did the Hawaii cruise on the Golden about 9 months ago. It was the 3rd time we have taken it, but the first on the Golden.

I don't know about the Sapphire, but the Golden has a wonderful Hawaii themed program, developed by the CD and ELUA ... the duo of Hawaiian musical performers on the Golden. Not only does ELUA perform frequently, but they also offer interesting presentations during sea days. Additionally, in keeping with the Hawaii theme, there are hula dancing classes, lei making classes, ukulele lessons, etc.

All this adds so much to the Hawaiian aura of the whole cruise. JMO, but the Golden is a great choice.

No question about it ... Golden! As mentioned, the Sapphire has not been refitted ... and it shows. Even the TV's are the originals (no flat screens) ... and no MUTS, no Vines, no International Cafe ... you have a choice, so go with the ship in better condition.

No question about it ... Golden! As mentioned, the Sapphire has not been refitted ... and it shows. Even the TV's are the originals (no flat screens) ... and no MUTS, no Vines, no International Cafe ... you have a choice, so go with the ship in better condition.

It was just reported that the Sapphire is receiving the flat screen TV's this week, from someone sailing on her currently. ;)

Hey all,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts/reviews and have found them so informative. Thank you! I am a frequent cruiser (mostly on Princess but a little on RC and even less on Carnival). We are looking into taking a last minute trip from LA to Hawaii on either the Golden or the Sapphire and would love feedback on which ship is better (specifically more activities, better CD, do both have MUTS, etc.). We truly appreciate any feedback. Happy cruising!

We had the same decision to make and I had posted the same questions and the responses came back 60%-40% in favor of the Golden with the main reasons being MUTS, the retrofit, and a better cultural program. The Saturday to Saturday schedule, the 4 small anytime dining rooms, and a ship design that caused less crowding were cited as the reasons to choose the Sapphire. We chose the Sapphire because of the Saturday to Saturday would cause me to take fewer days off from work, have no interest in MUTS, and like the idea of the smaller dining rooms. Hope we made the right choice.

We had the same decision to make and I had posted the same questions and the responses came back 60%-40% in favor of the Golden with the main reasons being MUTS, the retrofit, and a better cultural program. The Saturday to Saturday schedule, the 4 small anytime dining rooms, and a ship design that caused less crowding were cited as the reasons to choose the Sapphire. We chose the Sapphire because of the Saturday to Saturday would cause me to take fewer days off from work, have no interest in MUTS, and like the idea of the smaller dining rooms. Hope we made the right choice.

I would love to hear about your trip when you return! We are doing the 14 day Hawaii on the Sapphire around the same time as you, next year.

We just did the Hawaii cruise on the Golden about 9 months ago. It was the 3rd time we have taken it, but the first on the Golden.

I don't know about the Sapphire, but the Golden has a wonderful Hawaii themed program, developed by the CD and ELUA ... the duo of Hawaiian musical performers on the Golden. Not only does ELUA perform frequently, but they also offer interesting presentations during sea days. Additionally, in keeping with the Hawaii theme, there are hula dancing classes, lei making classes, ukulele lessons, etc.

All this adds so much to the Hawaiian aura of the whole cruise. JMO, but the Golden is a great choice.

We just got off the Golden a week ago and it was excellent. We enjoyed the music, including Elua. And I took part in the lei making (just bought some ribbon the other day to start making leis for friends) and took the hula classes and participated in the hula performance on the last night during the intermission of Princess Pop Stars.

You're all wonderful! Your answers definitely helped. I have yet to post reviews on any of the cruises that we have taken, but for the sake of giving back to the CC community, I will this time, whichever ship we choose. I am becoming a little bit of a CC addict. :)

We've done Golden to Hawaii three times and it's a great ship but find MUTS distracts from enjoying the outside pool area - to incessantly noisey for our taste.

We used the Diamond to Hawaii once (sister to Sapphire) and enjoyed it immensely, so after our December cruise on the Golden we switched our April cruise on the Golden to a March cruise on Sapphire.

We will miss Eula and all the attendent activities that are offered on the Golden to Hawaii, but we needed a change. If you book the Golden you will surely have a great cruise and I expect a great cruise on Sapphire, too.

I think what I'm trying to convey is ANY cruise on Princess is going to be great...or maybe I'm just easy to please.

• 1 year later...

I'm reviving an oldish thread, since Sapphire has just undergone a major refit (including adding MUTS and International Cafe).

I'm going on Sapphire this Fall, and then considering Golden for next Spring and was wondering if there are any updated opinions, given the refit which Sapphire just underwent?

Also, as Waltd noted

Sapphire 116,000 tons

Golden 109,000 tons

Does the addtional size of Sapphire mean there are more/better amenities on board?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm reviving an oldish thread, since Sapphire has just undergone a major refit (including adding MUTS and International Cafe).

I'm going on Sapphire this Fall, and then considering Golden for next Spring and was wondering if there are any updated opinions, given the refit which Sapphire just underwent?

Also, as Waltd noted

Sapphire 116,000 tons

Golden 109,000 tons

Does the addtional size of Sapphire mean there are more/better amenities on board?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks, I'm wondering about the same thing. I'm booked on the Sapphire this year for a California Coastal cruise and I'm booked on the Golden next year for a 3 day cruise. Is one ship better than the other? Which is your favorite and why? Thanks so much!

They are both wonderful ships! I love them equally. The Sapphire might be a little more polished since she is out of drydock but ...

The only thing that the Sapphire has that the Golden does not is Alfredo's Pizzeria. Since I am not a great fan of pizza, this addition did not do anything for me.

Either of these ships are wonderful, and as you can see from my signature, I sailed on both in March of 2012, so these cruises are still very recent.

They are both wonderful ships! I love them equally. The Sapphire might be a little more polished since she is out of drydock but ...

The only thing that the Sapphire has that the Golden does not is Alfredo's Pizzeria. Since I am not a great fan of pizza, this addition did not do anything for me.

Either of these ships are wonderful, and as you can see from my signature, I sailed on both in March of 2012, so these cruises are still very recent.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to them both!

This is just not true. When we were aboard the Sapphire 15 months ago we had a flat screen tv.:rolleyes:

Also, someone had posted earlier that the Sapphire does not have an International Cafe. Untrue. It does have one. The Sapphire has recently been updated and is getting great reviews.

Archived