Golden Princess vs. Sapphire Princess

serenity27

The only thing that the Sapphire has that the Golden does not is Alfredo's Pizzeria. Since I am not a great fan of pizza, this addition did not do anything for me.

I believe that Sapphire also has a Thermal Suite and steam and sauna in the male and female changing rooms which Golden does not (good if you hit some cold days at sea). And isn't David Cole - the CD who originated the Hawaiian program on Golden - now on Sapphire Princess?

Working2cruise:

Wow! You did two 14 day cruises to Hawaii. I have often thought of doing one of those out of LA since I live close by.

How do all those sea days go. We think we would like a bunch of sea days. Sounds relaxing.

Did your cruise sail by the volcano on the island of Hawaii at night time to see it erupting? Or is it not erupting right now?

I should check the itinerary because I don't want one that ends in Ensenada. Read a few horror stories of getting off the ship in Ensenada and having to be bussed to San Diego, etc. and crossing the border. Those were mostly on the Celebrity board so maybe their ships do that and Princess' don't. I was thinking I read that Princess ships do round trip LA.

Please let me know if you saw the volcano at night. Thank you.

They are both wonderful ships! I love them equally. The Sapphire might be a little more polished since she is out of drydock but ...

The only thing that the Sapphire has that the Golden does not is Alfredo's Pizzeria. Since I am not a great fan of pizza, this addition did not do anything for me.

Either of these ships are wonderful, and as you can see from my signature, I sailed on both in March of 2012, so these cruises are still very recent.

Nina, does the Golden have the wider promenade deck and the full loungers like the Sapphire does? Also, does it have a covered pool area like the Sapphire?

Working2cruise:

Wow! You did two 14 day cruises to Hawaii. I have often thought of doing one of those out of LA since I live close by.

How do all those sea days go. We think we would like a bunch of sea days. Sounds relaxing.

Did your cruise sail by the volcano on the island of Hawaii at night time to see it erupting? Or is it not erupting right now?

I should check the itinerary because I don't want one that ends in Ensenada. Read a few horror stories of getting off the ship in Ensenada and having to be bussed to San Diego, etc. and crossing the border. Those were mostly on the Celebrity board so maybe their ships do that and Princess' don't. I was thinking I read that Princess ships do round trip LA.

Please let me know if you saw the volcano at night. Thank you.

Princess ships do round trip LA. No getting off in Ensenada and bussing it to LA

Nina, does the Golden have the wider promenade deck and the full loungers like the Sapphire does? Also, does it have a covered pool area like the Sapphire?

Golden:

1. narrow promenade deck

2. Skywalker's hanging over/shadowing aft pool

3. covered pool

Sapphire:

1. wider promenade deck

2. Skywalker's set back/unshaded aft pool

3. covered pool

Based on the #s 1 & 2, Sapphire would be my choice, all other things being equal.

I have been on both before the new looks and would have a personal favorite but know they are pretty much the same.

So any one is a good pick.

sea ya

Eric

Hal Westerdam March2012

Coral Princess Sep2011

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

We've cruised on both and the Golden gets my vote, hands down.

Our next Hawaiian cruise will be on the Grand from San Francisco, only because it's closer to home (less than 2 hrs).

Which ever ship you choose, you will have a wonderful cruise.

IMHO with the Diamond/Sapphire they removed the design flaws of the Grand class ships and now that the Sapphire has all the latest bells and whistles I would choose her over the Golden in a heartbeat.

Do they sail by the volcano at night and if so was it erupting?

As stated above, since Kona was dropped from the r/t Hawaii cruises, there are no sail-bys. The ships departing Hilo take a northerly route around the island now.

While Kilauea has been erupting to some degree continuously since January of 1983, it does not currently have any lava flowing into the sea. The last time it did was some months ago. According to the USGS webpage, the fresh lava flow is over a half mile from the ocean and is progressing VERY slowly.

About 6 years ago (I think it was) we did a late evening sail-by when Kona was still on the itinerary and the lava was cascading over a cliff, and it was simply awesome to see.

They are both wonderful ships! I love them equally. The Sapphire might be a little more polished since she is out of drydock but ...

Either of these ships are wonderful, and as you can see from my signature, I sailed on both in March of 2012, so these cruises are still very recent.

Nina, does the Golden have the wider promenade deck with full loungers like the Sapphire?

Just came off the GOlden last week doing the round-trip Hawaii. Enjoyed the duo Eula very much.They are a big reason to take the Golden.They have been contracted for the 2012-2013 Hawaii season.The Golden does not have lounge chairs on the promenade deck,as the Sapphire does.Was on the Sapphire in Feb. and last Oct. and also enjoyed her,but I feel having Eula onboard really adds to the Hawaii experience.We also had great shows on both ships,which is also important to us.

Just came off the GOlden last week doing the round-trip Hawaii. Enjoyed the duo Eula very much.They are a big reason to take the Golden.They have been contracted for the 2012-2013 Hawaii season.The Golden does not have lounge chairs on the promenade deck,as the Sapphire does.Was on the Sapphire in Feb. and last Oct. and also enjoyed her,but I feel having Eula onboard really adds to the Hawaii experience.We also had great shows on both ships,which is also important to us.

ELUA, Dave and Leialoha, are wonderful!

Archived