Limon Question?

ldubs

For folks who have actually been to Limon---

We are wondering is there are places within walking distance of the cruise ship dock where we can just wander around and hang out. If so, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LHT28,

Huh, not really feeling it. Maybe time to look into a tour.

Thanks.

We walked up around the town no problem

The only time we were bothered was just outside the port gates by tour guides ;)

Based on other cruiser's recommendations, we contacted Jorge Ramirez jorgel.cr@hotmail.com He met us at the gate and gave us a few hours of touring the local area. He was very good and I recommend him to you. After we were done, he dropped us off on the main shopping street. Quite a few sidewalk bars and cafes to sit and people watch. Not a bad day.

We also considered just walking around on our Celebrity stop in Port Limon, in December. Instead, we took a taxi tour with Augustus Beckford, owner of Aubeck Tour (http://www.aubecktour.webs.com; augustusbeckford@gmail.com). He showed us the most important sites, was most accomodating, and spoke excellent English. Hi sprice was very reasonable and I recommend him highly.

Arnie

We didn't do any walking around so I cannot speak to that. However, if you decide to take a tour I can reccommend JJ as being hard working, knowledgable, resourceful and accommodating.

I am hoping to return to Costa Rico and tour with JJ again :cool:

Barbara

New here and we are thinking of taking the Freedom in March and the stop is Limon, Costa Rica....Is this the same as Port Limon that you are talking about? If so, I've not been there and will check out the refs you are discussing. Thanks so much.

New here and we are thinking of taking the Freedom in March and the stop is Limon, Costa Rica....Is this the same as Port Limon that you are talking about? If so, I've not been there and will check out the refs you are discussing. Thanks so much.

Yes, Limon and Port Limon are the same. Seems as I've seen Puerto Limon somewhere also but don't quote me on it :)

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

We were there on 2/12 and did a zipline, but we spent a little time wandering the port area after. Not a lot to see. I would suggest a guided tour, and I would recommend Danilo of Adventure Caribbean. He was very personable and full of information about Costa Rica. After he took us to the zipline, he found monkeys for us, found us a couple of sloths, took us to a fruit stand for fresh coconuts and such, and when I mentioned that we love chicharrones, he took us to his favorite place in town for fresh ones (which were absolutely amazing!). His email is adventure_caribbean@yahoo.com (with an underscore between adventure and caribbean). He spent half the day with us and only charged $65pp ($45 of which was for the zipline). Absolutely great day!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, Limon and Port Limon are the same. Seems as I've seen Puerto Limon somewhere also but don't quote me on it :)

Barbara

I believe Limon is the province that you're in, and Puerto Limon is the city. As you get off the ship at the pier, you see a sign that says "Welcome to Puerto Limon." I wasn't sure if that just referred to the port area, but if you look at a map of Costa Rica, some list it as Puerto Limon and others just Limon. They are indeed one and the same (similar if you refer to the city in New York as New York or as New York City).

• 1 month later...
For folks who have actually been to Limon---

We are wondering is there are places within walking distance of the cruise ship dock where we can just wander around and hang out. If so, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This may answer your question too late....don't know when you are cruising. We were in Port Limon last week. There is a great straw market about a 5 minute walk from the pier. Great merchandise,clean surroundings and NO pushy people. I wish I had known about it before our cruise. I would have waited to buy my souvenirs.

• 1 month later...

Good to know this information. We will have some in our group who don't want to spend money on tours so they wondered if it was okay to just get off boat and look around. i've not been to this port, so thanks for all the info.

I was just there earlier this month. After I did the zipline, I came back and got my friend and we walked several blocks into town to find a supermarket. Had no problems and everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Archived