Spice Markets in Certain Ports

Spire2000

We leave in two days on the Victory and one of the things I am very interested in finding is a good Caribbean spice market. From the following ports, San Juan, St Thomas, St Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts and St Maarten, where would I find a good spice market? Pics would be great too if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, the island that is famous for it's Spice Markets is not on your itinerary......If you want to see world famous spice markets, you'd need to cruise to Grenada. It's an absolutely beautiful island famous for spices. They have tours there that last all day and consist of only touring spice markets and spice plantations.

I'm afraid I don't know of any Spice Markets on the islands you listed.

I don't think you will find an authentic spice market near the cruise ports. But you can certainly find plenty of spices in the tourist type shops and markets in the port areas.

That's like docking in Phili and looking for chees steak right off the dock. You'll probably find a sandwich, but it's not exactly going to be the local authentic variety.

I do know St Lucia has a market with local produce and spices. on the map you will see the market in the bottom right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=castries+st+lucia&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Castries,+St+Lucia&gl=us&ei=gJS3TJbpL8WRswbjh5XvCA&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA&ll=14.012819,-60.990901&spn=0.008463,0.016469&t=h&z=17

And in St Thomas you will want to find a store called Down Island Traders. I will look for my map of that also...they are pretty amazing and they have lil things to test all over that store.

Found it. http://www.ahriise.com/MAP.html they may have one in Havensight but I am not sure.

I do believe they ave some little stores in Old San Juan also. I am not sure about the other ports though.

The best spice market I know of in the lesser antilles is on Grenada which your itinerary doesn't visit. The next best is on St. Lucia though but it is a general goods market in which you will find some vendors selling locally produced spices both packaged and in bulk.

It's called the Castries Central Market. It is open-air but under the large orange roof in the map linked below. You can see where it is located in relation to the two cruise ship docks.

Map

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like I may have to plan to visit Grenada sometime soon, but in the meantime I will check out the places mentioned.

I wonder though, does a dried and ground spice count as a fruit or vegetable? I'll find out and report back.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like I may have to plan to visit Grenada sometime soon, but in the meantime I will check out the places mentioned.

I wonder though, does a dried and ground spice count as a fruit or vegetable? I'll find out and report back.

Yes, it counts .. you will not be allowed to bring it back unless its in a sealed bottle or sealed cellophane, and not just loose.. same as if you bought a palm frond hat ...if they caught you, it will be taken away.

all spices have fruits and vegetables or plants of some kind in them.

,...unless you lie on the customs form, you will be required to say you are not bringing back any fruits or vegetables (the form doesnt say, only whole fruits, it says fruit, vegetables, plants). I guess you could please ignorance if you get caught. They would just take it away probably.

Just like you cant bring back a live plant of any kind .. and say you have not been near livestock.. they dont want any plants of any kind brought back that have not been sealed for sale and export.

Yes, it counts .. you will not be allowed to bring it back unless its in a sealed bottle or sealed cellophane, and not just loose.. same as if you bought a palm frond hat ...if they caught you, it will be taken away.

all spices have fruits and vegetables or plants of some kind in them.

,...unless you lie on the customs form, you will be required to say you are not bringing back any fruits or vegetables (the form doesnt say, only whole fruits, it says fruit, vegetables, plants). I guess you could please ignorance if you get caught. They would just take it away probably.

Just like you cant bring back a live plant of any kind .. and say you have not been near livestock.. they dont want any plants of any kind brought back that have not been sealed for sale and export.

I've had salsa taken because the seal was broken, hot sauce too:)

We are also sailing Victory in a few weeks and since our St Maarten day is a Saturday, there is a big market day in Marigot that I plan to visit. "greg" has posted pics of it around this forum, I'll try and find one of his links.

Looks like this market has all kinds of local stuff, including spice booths, but I don't know how they're packaged. Also there is a $2 bus from Phillipsburg to Marigot, so that's our plan. I'll see if I can find greg's links for you. He has great pictures.

We've looked for spice markets in many of the ports you mention but have never really had much luck.... just random items in gift shops here and there.

In St Maarten, in the market at Marigot that someone else mentioned here, there was one spice vendor... and I think they had some prepackaged/sealed items in addition to the loose ones (like below).

spices.jpg

Knowledgeable spice markets that are used to dealing with foreigners know exactly how to package the fresh spices for you so that they can be returned to the US. A perfect example is the spice market in Istanbul. they vacuum seal everything and customs is fine with that process. The spices that you get in those markets are wonderful, and have true flavors not the junk we get in jars here at home.

4691820590_b4f856d00e_z_d.jpg

Knowledgeable spice markets that are used to dealing with foreigners know exactly how to package the fresh spices for you so that they can be returned to the US. A perfect example is the spice market in Istanbul. they vacuum seal everything and customs is fine with that process. The spices that you get in those markets are wonderful, and have true flavors not the junk we get in jars here at home.

Insert extreme jealousy here over the photo you posted :)

4691820590_b4f856d00e_z_d.jpg

What a beautiful picture. Ya, customs has become more crazy about what constitutes 'food' and what constitutes 'unopened'. I have had all kinds of stuff taken in the last two years, but also had a friend get through with a 6 pound piece of smoked Mahi from a fishing trip in costa rica this spring no problem! It was just wrapped in butchers paper. Go figure.

aha here is one of Gary's (not greg) posts

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27395926&highlight=#post27395926

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karysa View Post

<snip> if you are in St. Martin on a Wednesday or Saturday you may enjoy the market in Marigot and I know that spices can be found there.

Sandy, The Spice Lady, has a shop at Orient, in the shops away from the beach between Pedro's and le String.

As far as I know she's open every day that cruise ships are in.

gary

I have visited St Marteen twice and purchased several spices in the Market area in downtown Marigot. Most were placed in ziplock baggies. Wonderful blends! wish I was going back soon as I've run out of all of them.

sorry that I can't remember which days the market was operating.

Have a great cruise. No issues with bringing back any of them.

I guess the OP doubted me ... as they posted back they would come back and report if what I said applied to spices.

Thanks for back up.

Not doubting you. You originally said "you might not be allowed to bring it back". That didn't sound like you knew for sure one way or the other.

As an aside, I've successfully brought back palm bowls in recently years. Once they inspected them, once they didn't care.

Thanks zqvol for posting that photo of the spice market in Istanbul! I'll be there in May (Star Princess TA & Med cruise) and that looks like a great place to shop and buy souvenirs that I'll use when I'm back home.

Aqua

Thanks zqvol for posting that photo of the spice market in Istanbul! I'll be there in May (Star Princess TA & Med cruise) and that looks like a great place to shop and buy souvenirs that I'll use when I'm back home.

Aqua

Be careful, my DW spent way too much, but the saffron is wonderful and I got some great pistachios. Be sure and try the different varieties of bakalava. In this country it is made with walnuts, i got pistachio, and two or three other varieties.

Archived