What do you wear on embarkation day?

missingmaui

We are leaving from New Orleans on Feb. 20 (may be a little chilly). I'm hoping to be in short/tanktops the rest of the week during the day, but don't know what to wear to board the ship. This is our first cruise- Western Caribbean with NCL. What would you wear? :confused:

Most of the threads I've read suggest a swimsuit under shorts and a top. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen with the temperature in the high 50's. :o

I usually wear casual slacks - like chinos or dockers, plus a polo shirt or other short sleeve top with a cardigan and if necessary a light jacket. That way if luggage does not arrive I am still appropriate for dinner.

Then in my carry on I have a pair of shorts and my swimsuit and the bare necessities (toothbrush, small make up kit, small sunscreen). I slip off the chinos and wear the shorts/top to explore or visit the pool.

I wear something comfortable, so that when I have to handle suitcases or what not, I don't have to worry about skirts being too short or whatnot :)

Weather permitting, I take a bathing suit in my purse, and a spare shirt, in case I have an "accident" during the day and suitcases don't arrive in the room before dinner.

I wear clothes that I wouldn't mind wearing to dinner that nght, just in case the luggage doesn't show up before that time.

It's usually a pair of slacks or capris, a nice top and shoes I can walk in. If it is cool I wear a sweater or jacket over it. Our last cruise, last month, I also took an umbrella since it was raining.

I wear the same clothes to disembark a week later.

If it's warm enough to sun, I do the bathing suit thing. If not....something comfortable that you could also wear to dinner, should your luggage take it's time getting to you!

Dinner the 1st night is ultra-casual, so you really don't have to worry too much about proper dinnerwear!

We all have our own ways of doing things that is for sure:). I always

pack extra clothing in my carry on for the first night dinner. Whatever

I am wearing for the first day, well, I have been in it all day and

my choice is to shower and change before dinner. That outfit does not

take up much space in the carry on bag. It also has my toiletries, jewelry,

etc. It is the same carry on I take on the plane.

As to your question about what to wear? If sailing to the Caribbean

out of San Juan or South Florida, I am usually in a shorts/crop pants

and a top with sandals.

If you are concerned about being cold? Long pants and top would be

just fine:)....throw in a lightweight jacket. ( I have a soft cotton

warmup style jacket I bring.).

:D I always think about what will look good in the boarding picture lol. The first cruise out of Long Beach it was cold and I have on a sweater and jacket and it looked funky in the pictures. Now I wear Capri's, sandals and if cool I have a really cute windbreaker that is a tropical color.

I have never left a port anywhere that was warm enough to swim the first day. We always cruise in either Jan. or Feb.

I also have an extra dinner outfit in my carry on. I like to shower and change for dinner.

Kris

We are leaving from New Orleans on Feb. 20 (may be a little chilly). I'm hoping to be in short/tanktops the rest of the week during the day, but don't know what to wear to board the ship. This is our first cruise- Western Caribbean with NCL. What would you wear? :confused:

Most of the threads I've read suggest a swimsuit under shorts and a top. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen with the temperature in the high 50's. :o

I see you live in Louisiana so you should have a good knowledge of what the weather is like the day before and the day you board.:D that knowledge should give you some insight as to whether you will be able to swim that day.:D

Regarding clothes to board, DH & I normally wear comfortable clothes to board. Capris, jeans, etc. We always board with a carryon packed with Dockers, pant suit, etc. for dinner that night in case our luggage doesn't arrive before dinner.

If you are planning (or hoping to) purchase you embarkation photo, dress suitably for the photo and then pack alternative clothing in your carry on to change in to after you board the ship.

We always have to fly to all of our embarkation ports and always pack a carryon with alternative clothing, i.e. shorts, tops, evening dinner clothes, etc. in our carryon to be prepared.

Dianne

A lot depends of course what you take with you as carry-on: I only take my purse (a big one, but still). Th carry-on I used on theflight gets its label and gets handled by the cruiseline.

Bathing suit, extra top, camera and papers to board are basically the only things that will fit :)

This will be my first time arriving to the embarkation city a day before... so I plan on wearing a nice outfit, with nice hair.

Normally, I have just recently gotten off a plane, and I dress very casual/comfortable on a plane and my hair looks blah...

not that I plan on buying the picture, I'd just like to not look like an overly-tired traveller with messy hair in the picture! :D

I wear jeans, a nice t-shirt, and sneakers, which means I'm wearing the heaviest clothing and don't have to worry about overloading the suitcases. It's also what I usually wear, anyway, so I'm comfortable. If it's a fall or winter cruise, I also wear my jacket, which I also take on scuba trips for between dives. I pack my dinner outfit for the evening in my carryon, just in case luggage is late.

Thanks for all of your replies! We will definitely NOT be swimming on embarkation day. :) We are driving to the port the day before, so we should have plenty of time to get ready, and not have to worry about comfort on a 5 hours car trip. Sounds like long pants and a light jacket will be fine!

I wear jeans, a nice t-shirt, and sneakers, which means I'm wearing the heaviest clothing and don't have to worry about overloading the suitcases. It's also what I usually wear, anyway, so I'm comfortable. If it's a fall or winter cruise, I also wear my jacket, which I also take on scuba trips for between dives. I pack my dinner outfit for the evening in my carryon, just in case luggage is late.

I take the same approach. Since I fly in the day of, typically from a cooler climate, I wear my heaviest clothing and in layers - hiking shoes, jacket etc. - and leave my lighter clothes for my suitcase. I travel carry-on only so I have all my clothes with me for dinner and do not need to worry if my luggage will get to the cabin.

I have a long dress, very casual & very comfortable, black with orange and pink flowers, that I wear on embarkation day. It's sleeveless so I wear a pretty orange sweater on top, and that way I also don't need to pack a light sweater for cooler days. I HATE wearing anything constricting like jeans etc., especially on plane rides.

It's also my disembarkation dress, looks great in embarkation photos, and has been my "travel" dress for years :)

I take the same approach. Since I fly in the day of, typically from a cooler climate, I wear my heaviest clothing and in layers - hiking shoes, jacket etc. - and leave my lighter clothes for my suitcase. I travel carry-on only so I have all my clothes with me for dinner and do not need to worry if my luggage will get to the cabin.

DonMar, we cruised with carry-on only for our last cruise out of San Juan, and it worked beautifully. However, since we're flying non-stop on AirTran to Ft. Lauderdale this February, we've decided to bring checked luggage.

It's really amazing how efficiently you can pack for a cruise if you are creative. I even had 3 dresses for formal nights etc. I could have done a 10-day cruise with the way I packed. Hmm, there's a thought...:D

DonMar, we cruised with carry-on only for our last cruise out of San Juan, and it worked beautifully. However, since we're flying non-stop on AirTran to Ft. Lauderdale this February, we've decided to bring checked luggage.

It's really amazing how efficiently you can pack for a cruise if you are creative. I even had 3 dresses for formal nights etc. I could have done a 10-day cruise with the way I packed. Hmm, there's a thought...:D

You are right! We have flown and cruised carry-on only since about the mid 90s. We have gone on 14 day Med cruise as well as a 14 day land-trip to central Africa with only our carry-ons. We always have what we need and never feel like we are missing anything.

Archived