Why do people need ice in their staterooms?

Coralc

I make my own iced tea. Hot water and teabag from the Jammer....take it back to the room, fill the glass with ice and by that time, the hot tea is strong enough for my liking. Yes, sometimes I wait to do it right at the Windjammer, but often don't give it time.

JMO And I love ice water for the many reasons already stated.

For anyone needing to take daily medicines, vitamins, etc., the water is ther to be used to drink with those pills. I personally wouldn't use the tap water as it is sometimes brownish as well as warm.

I know this may seem obvious, but, considering the topic of the thread... isn't "ice cold water" actually.... well, ice? Water that is as cold as ice would be ice.

I think the phrase should be nearly ice cold water. Almost ice cold water, perhaps.

Actually....no. Water can be "ice cold" and not frozen. In fact, that is usually the case with a glass of ice-water, at least once it has had a few minutes for the ice and water to equilibrate. To freeze water, you must first get it down to it's freezing temperature of 32°F, then it takes more heat removal (with no change in temperature) to get it to change state from liquid to solid.

DW and I like to cool off when we return from an excursion in a warm climate by dipping a towel in the ice cold water in the bucket and placing the towel on our faces and neck. Quite refreshing.

We also place fruit from the WJ such as oranges and grapes in the ice bucket to make them nice and cold.

Plus the occasional bottle of wine to be chilled.

I empty the fridge and fill it with my own Caffiene free Diet Pepsi, which I bring on board for every cruise. I use the ice in the glass as per normal. :D

Be sure to let your cabin attendant know you removed (or moved) stuff from the fridge so you don't get charged. We moved some stuff around once to make room for some desert we wanted to eat later. They tried to charge for a couple of sodas. We got it cleared up, but it was a hassle.

Just in case anyone is worried about the ice buckets...Don't be... Most cruise lines have a rule that they must replace them twice a day, in the morning & evening and that they must replace it with a clean one. It's a constant rotation for them to put a new clean filled one in your room and take the old one to the dishwasher to be cleaned. I only know this because I told our steward we only needed ice once every other day and not to worry about doing it so much and he explained how it worked to me. It has something to do with keeping any sort of virus/bacteria/yuckies down to a bare minimum.

We have never used the ice or the ice bucket. Do you think it gets cleaned, and I mean sanitized clean, or replaced between fillings, or just refilled? I have never seen a service cart in the corridor with ice buckets on it.

I just hope they keep the ice machine spotless for all you ice users.

I take the ice and place into a damp hand towel and place around the cabin as a form of environmentally green in room air conditioning thus doing my part to save energy on the cruise ship.

NAW just joking all of you, I use it in my smuggled drinks and using the bungy cord to make a home made sling shot them off the balcony

GROSS! I certainly will not be drinking melted ice water from my cabin buckets anymore!!! I am rather sure the room stewards don't sterilize them between occupants. Probably just a quick rinse is all they get IF you're lucky! :eek:
I guess you have not read the CDC Guidelines. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/transcripts/housekeeping.pdf

Long time member, but seldom post.

I have never posted anything negative about a poster, so this is a first.

This is a really stupid question. To me it is like, "What do you use toilet paper in your bathroom for". If you do not know these answers yet, you scare me.

Sorry!:confused:[/quote Thank you was thinking the same thing...in fact getting back to the OP my answer should have been "If for some strange reason you wouldn't want ice in your stateroom"

Thanks so much for joining us! :rolleyes: The question was asked and has been answered...and I said as much. :D As with other threads on Cruise Critic...if they're not to your liking, you can move on. Otherwise, your comment serves no real purpose, either. (And I hope I scare you, bad)

I found the comment funny and well exactly what I was thinking, sorry but I don't care who you are that was a funny post.

Last year on Oasis we had a JS which happened to be across from the cabin stewards storage/ cleaning/dishwaser area and watched the cabin steward putting the ice buckets in the dishwaser on two seperate occasions. Hope this helps

I don't usually start threads....but I am curious as to why people need their ice buckets filled, and some request that they be filled twice a day?

Do you drink sodas with ice in your room...is that why? I only drink iced tea (from the WJ), bottled or tap water or beer...so I don't need ice. We never use the ice bucket, except once for a bottle of champagne. After about day 5 on our last cruise, the room steward just quit refilling it, when he noticed that we weren't using it. He asked if that was okay. I said we would call him if we needed ice for some strange reason.

This should be brief....what do you use stateroom ice for? :)

I don't know but I never even noticed that we had an ice bucket until near the end of the cruise. Our steward filled it every day but we never used it. I'm not one that needs ice in my drinks anyway.

We were on Liberty last year in Sept and noticed a horrible smell from the bathroom sink. So each morning we had to use the melted cold ice water and pour some in a cup to brush our teeth. I just could not stand to turn the sink on. It was horrible. The shower did not smell bad or the ice water so I was not sure what in the world the smell was. We would only wash our hands in the sink (good think I remembered to bring my own liquid soap) and we would wash our face in the shower. Maybe it was just our deck because other people said the same thing. We would also use the ice to refill the bucket of beer we would get (almost each day. LOL).

I found the comment funny and well exactly what I was thinking, sorry but I don't care who you are that was a funny post.

I have never found rudeness to be funny. I did find his post to be rude.

Given all the posts to this thread, hard to understand why he posted when he did.

Archived