Why do people need ice in their staterooms?

Coralc

GROSS! I certainly will not be drinking melted ice water from my cabin buckets anymore!!! I am rather sure the room stewards don't sterilize them between occupants. Probably just a quick rinse is all they get IF you're lucky! :eek:

I've seen carts full of ice buckets, so figured they replace the entire bucket rather than filling them from a supply of ice.

I would think they are run through the dishwater, rather than wiped out.

I hope so anyway, because we do drink the melted ice water. It tastes better than what comes from the tap.

I also get hot tea, then take it back to my room and make iced tea with it, as (this is NOT a complaint;)) I don't care for the iced tea you can get onboard.

Rachel

The water from the tap will NEVER run cold...ice makes it drinkable. If it was a hotel, I'd get ice when I wanted/needed it...on a ship, the attendant has to bring it, since there are no "self-serve" machines....it's nice to have it, if you need it!

I have to have ice so I can mix my own drinks with my smuggled alcohol and sodas! Just saying.......... you asked! :D

Flame On! :eek:

Love it!!!! :eek: ditto, ditto, ditto.

I don't usually start threads....but I am curious as to why people need their ice buckets filled, and some request that they be filled twice a day?

Do you drink sodas with ice in your room...is that why? I only drink iced tea (from the WJ), bottled or tap water or beer...so I don't need ice. We never use the ice bucket, except once for a bottle of champagne. After about day 5 on our last cruise, the room steward just quit refilling it, when he noticed that we weren't using it. He asked if that was okay. I said we would call him if we needed ice for some strange reason.

This should be brief....what do you use stateroom ice for? :)

In brief, for all the same reasons we would use ice at home or anywhere else.

In brief, for all the same reasons we would use ice at home or anywhere else.

Not really, because I don't have my choices of beverages, glasses and an ice maker like I have at home. The stateroom glasses are very small, and I have to go out and about or call room service if I want a beverage.....and those come with ice. :cool:

Read somewhere on the World Wide Web of Knowledge, that all kinds of funk have been found in hotel ice buckets, including a certain male fluid. I do not use the bucket, the glasses for this very reason.

:cool:

Read somewhere on the World Wide Web of Knowledge, that all kinds of funk have been found in hotel ice buckets, including a certain male fluid. I do not use the bucket, the glasses for this very reason.

Hotels usually supply a plastic bag to line the ice bucket.

If you think it's only in ice buckets, lord help you. Do you know what the galley and your waiter may have done with your food (deliberately or undeliberately)? Or what rodent may have scurried across your kitchen cabinet at night.

As a rational adult, I realize that I will be exposed to "funk" that I would probably steer clear of if I had a choice. Being that I like to experience new things, new places and consume life to the best of my ability, there is no way I can eliminate all risk in consuming some contamination (deliberately or “accidentally“). But, I will avoid exposure where I am able. Thus is the reason I can guarantee you there is zero rodents running around my cupboards. If you have a rodent infestation, then lord help you......and that is the reason I do not eat pot luck meals!

ACK!!! :eek: there should be a fresh plastic bag type liner in the bucket' date=' or I wouldn't use the ice! :([/quote']

Ice machines are notoriously sited in restaurants for slime on the insides. Check your local health inspections, its public record. They are hardly ever cleaned because they are constantly being used.

I try not to think of where things come from otherwise I might never eat anything not prepared by myself. You just don't know what goes on in the kitchen or how things were prepared or cleaned.

Long time member, but seldom post.

I have never posted anything negative about a poster, so this is a first.

This is a really stupid question. To me it is like, "What do you use toilet paper in your bathroom for". If you do not know these answers yet, you scare me.

Sorry!:confused:

This is a really stupid question. To me it is like, "What do you use toilet paper in your bathroom for". If you do not know these answers yet, you scare me.

You should post more often, Roy....:D

Rachel

Thanks so much for joining us! :rolleyes: The question was asked and has been answered...and I said as much. :D As with other threads on Cruise Critic...if they're not to your liking, you can move on. Otherwise, your comment serves no real purpose, either. (And I hope I scare you, bad)

Tepid/warm water to drink - bleh!!!!!!! Must have ice cold water. :D Keep my ice bucket full........ ;)

I know this may seem obvious, but, considering the topic of the thread... isn't "ice cold water" actually.... well, ice? Water that is as cold as ice would be ice.

I think the phrase should be nearly ice cold water. Almost ice cold water, perhaps.

My feeble attempt at humor. Some have called it dry. Haha. Get it? Dry?

Oh great-after reading all the comments about questionable cleaning of ice buckets, I will now have to add "bring my own ice bucket" to my packing list. I, too, like ice water to drink in my cabin. One of the reasons I appreciate Celebrity as they put a filled water carafe along with the ice bucket in each cabin.

i didnt read all the posts so forgive it this is a repeat-

we bring on a collapsable cooler to keep our ice in- dh brings on 8 mtn dews and i bring on about 8 diet dr peppers to keep chilled- plus an occasional carton of milk from breakfast i like to have later but want it to be cold..... the ice in the buckets provided melt in a couple hrs so we make sure we have ice for ice water/ our soda/ a carton of milk every couple days........ and we usually can t finish dessert from portofino/ chops so we put that in there til the next am/ day to enjoy as well-

I remember there being a toilet paper thread and it was quite a few pages!

I will be bring my own little cooler next cruise.

Thanks so much for joining us! :rolleyes: The question was asked and has been answered...and I said as much. :D As with other threads on Cruise Critic...if they're not to your liking, you can move on. Otherwise, your comment serves no real purpose, either. (And I hope I scare you, bad)

His post served a number of purposes.

For me, I found it quite insightful as well as amusing.

FWIW, I find you amusing also.

GROSS! I certainly will not be drinking melted ice water from my cabin buckets anymore!!! I am rather sure the room stewards don't sterilize them between occupants. Probably just a quick rinse is all they get IF you're lucky! :eek:

I've seen a room steward fill the ice buckets. He collected them all on a cart, filled them with ice, and redistributed them to the rooms. Even if you cleaned out your own bucket to begin with, you'd just have someone else's after they were refilled. I would never drink the water from the bucket! :eek::eek:

http://www.maxablog.com/2007/02/see_that_ice_bu.html

ps omg do not google ice buckets

Archived