Some lessons learned the hard way.....

Stokeset

In preparation for our forthcoming cruise on 2/6, I was reading the Emerald’s reviews and read where one member was extremely disappointed that they were unable to disembark at Princess Cays, as this was where they had planned on spending the majority of their beach time, and had not gone into any of the ports prior to the Cays.

It reminded me of a cruise I took several years ago where I had planned a large part of my cruise excitement based on cave and river tubing in Costa Rica. Due to extreme rainfall, the excursion was canceled and I was devastated. BUT, a very valuable lesson was learned. Now I have a completely different perspective of cruising and planning excursions.

Also made me wonder how many of you learned this lesson the hard way and would you be willing to share the circumstances?

Any who has cruised for a length of time has run across at least one of these missed-port (or cancelled excursion) disappointments. We managed to make it through 23 years of cruising before it happened to us the first time (and only time so far) ... but it was a BIG one. In the summer of 2009, high winds caused us to bypass Rome!!! Needless o say, there were all sorts of unhappy people on board. But, after calling shore to cancel excursions, etc., we got over it quickly and simply enjoyed another wonderful day at sea. We then solved the problem during the summer of 2010 when we booked a cruise that ended in Rome. We figured that would assure us of not missing the port!!!

We did the last Canada/New England cruise of the season in 2009 on the Crown Princess. We missed the Sydney port due to wind and when we got to Quebec City (we had the day in port on the ship), it was snowing. Being a Floridian, DH wasn't interested in leaving the ship. I'm old enough and have done enough cruises and traveling to know that you miss ports and your travel plans don't always go as planned. Having said that, I was none the less disappointed at not getting the opportunity to see Quebec City, because it was the port I was looking forward to the most. However, it gave us a good excuse to repeat the cruise, and we were fortunate enough to be able to do the trip again in 2010. We took a different ship, with the itinerary in reverse. This time we flew to Quebec City two days early and were able to see more of the city than we would have seen had we braved the snow the previous year. We also got to the Sydney port this time and the weather was beautiful. We got to repeat a few of our favorite ports, but also saw some new ones.

We've been fortunate not to have missed any ports on a cruise, but I have a comment to make regarding missing ports that are tendered.

Several years ago we were on a cruise with a tender port, we had read the port was often missed due to ocean conditions. We did get to tender in and had a marvelous day. Getting back onto the ship was a different matter, the seas were much rougher than they were earlier. When I went to reboard the ship, the tender dipped down and back up quickly, I was being assisted by 2 crew, so I was safe from falling. Yet, my hip started to get sore that night. Long story short, it was a pulled muscle and it took months to feel better, I think I was lucky it was just a pulled muscle and not more serious. Now, when I read complaints about missed tendering I understand why the Captain cancels tender ports.

My other lesson learned the hard way is packing lists you read about here on CC and other sites. The first time we cruised I took the advice of everything I read...I didn't know any better. What I spent on wasted "junk" I could have probably afforded a deposit on another cruise. Now I advise people to take the bare minimum they need to get by and leave all the cups/pens/hampers etc...in the store for other people to buy.

We missed Princess Cays last spring on the Crown. The cruise before ours missed Princess Cays and Roatan. If beach time is important to you, it's probably best to plan for it in one of the first ports. That way you will be able to adapt if you miss that port.

I enjoyed the extra day at sea when we missed Princess Cays. The cruise director's staff worked hard to schedule additional onboard activities.

We've missed several ports over the years, but only two are notable. The first was on a cruise we were on that was supposed to end in Venice. The war broke out in Yugoslavia and there were missiles bring fired over the Adriatic and we knew that things did not look good for us to sail first to Greece and then to Venice. But we trusted Celebrity to do what was right. We missed the Greek and Venice stops and ended up in Genoa, a far, far cry from sailing into Venice.

The second time was on the Sapphire Princess crossing the Pacific. We lost all our thrusters on that cruise, and had to be pushed and pulled into every port from the time we left French Polynesia. Someone on our cruise had a GPS and told us we were hours behind schedule when we left Auckland and wouldn't make it to Wellington. Instead, the miss was blamed on weather by Princess, so we only received port charges as compensation. But we knew the thrusters had a lot to do with it.

Sandthrush: I’m glad you found a way to see the ports that were most important to you. Any excuse to book another cruise is a good one!

Happy ks: Thanks for reminding us the our captains have to constantly anticipate potential problems, and often times, their “calls” are better than others.

PescadoAmarillo: Of all my plan B’s, factoring in the possibility of airfire has not been one of them (lol)! Sorry, not to make too light of the subject, I’m sure it was a scary time. As for the thrusters on the Sapphire, it was a shame that Princess was not more forthcoming.

We missed the private island due to rain last cruise. It was no big deal b/c that cruise was a big rainy cold bust from the very beginning. We made the best of it but I was cranky b/c there was zero fun in the sun. The cool temps did make our trek to the Mayan ruins much more pleasant; I could see how that trip would be murder in the heat / humidity.

On one cruise our ziplining excursion was cancelled for safety reasons. We just did something else.

I remember a few years ago a Bermuda cruise out of NYC was diverted to Canada to avoid a hurricanne. Some poor couple had 200 people waiting for them in Bermuda b/c they were supposed to get married & have a reception. Now that is worth getting upset about but if I had been them when I was told before I left NYC that the ship wasn't going to Bermuda I would have gotten off & flown to Bermuda.

We did the last Canada/New England cruise of the season in 2009 on the Crown Princess. We missed the Sydney port due to wind and when we got to Quebec City (we had the day in port on the ship), it was snowing. Being a Floridian, DH wasn't interested in leaving the ship. I'm old enough and have done enough cruises and traveling to know that you miss ports and your travel plans don't always go as planned. Having said that, I was none the less disappointed at not getting the opportunity to see Quebec City, because it was the port I was looking forward to the most. However, it gave us a good excuse to repeat the cruise, and we were fortunate enough to be able to do the trip again in 2010. We took a different ship, with the itinerary in reverse. This time we flew to Quebec City two days early and were able to see more of the city than we would have seen had we braved the snow the previous year. We also got to the Sydney port this time and the weather was beautiful. We got to repeat a few of our favorite ports, but also saw some new ones.

We were on the Quebec to FLL cruise that year (cruise after yours) and arrived 2 days early to enjoy and missed Quebec also due to the snow. We spent the whole day at the hotel. I have yet to go back but that was going to be the highlight of my cruise. I knew very little about Sydney and was so cold that day, I didn't care that we missed it. I would like to go back and see it one day.

I hope to do it again and will also switch lines to do it as I was not a fan of the Crown.

On our very first cruise which was to Bermuda, I was excited to do the helmet dive. Something I was really looking forward to. We had booked it for the end of our cruise. Well everyday it was getting canceled due to the rough water and they said that you wouldn't be able to see anything. I held out hope that by the end of the cruise our excursion would still be on, but the day of our excursion they canceled it that morning. I was so disappointed being it was our first cruise and everything.

But on the bright side, we went back to Bermuda a couple years later on the same cruise with my husbands parents, and this time we booked it again. This time the excursion wasn't canceled, so we were able to do it and had a great time.

I'm anticipating a number of disappointed people on my upcoming (first) cruise. We're starting in Los Angeles, in February, yet all of the advice on all of the various boards is to wear a swim suit and spend the afternoon at the pool.

Sometimes it's nice and warm in February and that is possible. We've also had rainy, cold days (low 60's) with nasty marine layer. If it's cold, no one is going to want to swim and I feel certain that some will be disappointed.

I am always amazed when someone gets pissy when something is cancelled because of weather. Dissapointed, yes...pissy, no.

Who would they like to blame...God ? I have yet to get off a ship in Sitka, Ak, because it's always cancelled due to bad weather...but we still had a good time.

Yes, it's a dissapointment, but things happen. I fail to understand the positive side of getting upset by something that is totally out of any human's control.

seems like each or every other cruise...we miss a port, have bad weather, itinerary change, excursion canceled

after last month having ship problems and missing our itinerary cept for one port (itinerary change) we just go with the flow and just be HAPPY we are cruising and being able to do what we do--makes for a MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE CRUISE!!!--and after last months cruise we really proved that to ourselves...

NO MATTER WHAT DOES OR DOESNT HAPPEN...MAKE THE BEST OF IT...GO WITH THE FLOW~~~your voyage will be much MORE ENJOYABLE!!!

we just go with the flow and just be HAPPY we are cruising and being able to do what we do--makes for a MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE CRUISE!!!--and after last months cruise we really proved that to ourselves...

NO MATTER WHAT DOES OR DOESNT HAPPEN...MAKE THE BEST OF IT...GO WITH THE FLOW~~~your voyage will be much MORE ENJOYABLE!!!

AMEN!! Make lemonade

If a person has done much traveling-they should know stuff happens!!!

I suppose the lesson learned by most is that pinning all your hopes on one port or one excursion can be a set up for disappointment rather than allowing the excitement of cruising itself to be the focus.

Flexibility seems to be the mantra I keep hearing on CC from those who have the ability to take any given situation and make the best of it. And the ones who seem to complain and gripe are the ones with the most rigid perspective.

I recall a quotation: "Inflexibility is the first sign of old age."

May we all live to to be young and flexible in heart and mind!

Thank you for your comments.

Sweet sailing!

Liz

Jewel of the Seas westbound transatlantic, September '10, we missed the port in Newfoundland. As we were leaving Iceland, Captain Stig let us know that there was a huge ugly Arctic storm between us and NF, and that we would have to go around it, and in doing so would lose enough time that we'd miss the port. There were, of course, some disappointed people, but it didn't get too ugly; he held an hourlong meeting in the theatre to show us the satellite photos of the storm and tell us about the winds and high seas in it. Smart Captain.

Instead of reaching Sydney NS (our next port) on Thursday morning, we reached it late Wednesday afternoon and had a rare overnight port stay. Not that there's all that much to do in Sydney! especially in the pouring rain! :)

I used to tell my employees " The key to my happiness is low expectations." Never settle for less but don't have such high expectations that can never be met.

If you read this Board, you will become familiar with unmet expectations, missed ports, food not meeting expectations, entertainment not meeting expectations etc.

Go with the flow,relax and enjoy your cruise.

We had an engine problem on our first cruise which caused us to get in late to San Juan, so we missed El Morro, which I had been really looking forward to. (And on a business trip some years later, we went to see the Fort, and it was closed again. I finally saw it last October!)

On our third cruise, we lost an engine (or a thruster or an azipod or something; it was 1993) and missed Skagway so that mechanics could meet us early in Juneau to fix the whatever-it-was. I still have not seen Skagway, in spite of two more Alaska cruises and two land-based trips to Alaska. It's on my 'bucket list'!

Ship happens on cruises. We learned that early in our sailing 'career'.

Robin

In 2008 on the Caribbean Princess, the ship had some kind of engine problem so we were 3 hours late arriving to Bermuda. We were a little bummed out because this was the island we were most looking forward too. We still went to Horseshoe Bay but we really had to rush. We didn't get much time there but we made the best of it. Plus, they gave each passenger a $150 OBC. I thought that was pretty generous.

Happy to say I will be back to Bermuda this summer and looking forward to it!

Archived