New here & to cruising

Sundowners

Hi,

Although I have spent quite some time at sea, ex Navy, and have done an '07 Trans Atlantic crossing on Cunard's QM2, I have never been on a cruise.

Now that I'm retired and my wife (also a cruise newby) is thinking about it, we plan to start cruising soon. We've spotted a 13/14 night cruise we'd like to do from Sydney to Sydney via 8 ports in New Zealand.

However, after some initial investigations, we notice that there are 4 cruise lines that do the exact same cruise for very similar money.

They are P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

As we have no previous experience with any of these companies can someone out there make a recommendation which one we should choose....and why?

Thanks & Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

All of these cruise lines are fine. But they are all slightly different. Suggest you go to the Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic, and search for reviews of the ships and itineraries you are interestted in. Also consider what the two of you like: Are you into the nightlife? Cars? Shows? Food? Athletic activities? Of course everyone on these boards will likely agree that any of those cruises would likely be great for a first timer, you may want to read reviews to find a perfect fit.

Princess lets to carry wine on board, so I go with them!!

DH and I have cruised Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Both are very nice. We're in our mid-60's and retired so we like a more relaxing type of atmosphere.

Holland America has a bit more "elegant" type experience - slightly larger cabins, cater to a somewhat older crowd (although people report that the kids club, etc. are excellent). We thought the food was very good and enjoyed our Caribbean cruise.

We went to Alaska on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas (our first cruise) and had a great time. The Radiance has lots of glass so the views are wonderful wherever you are on the ship. A few more active things to do - climbing wall, mini-golf and self-leveling pool tables (really neat).

For us it comes down to itinerary. We decided to go with the Radiance for our trip down your way in March, 2012. RCI offered the 2 cruises which when combined are are circumnavigation of Australia - plus we know we like the Radiance.

Hi,

Although I have spent quite some time at sea, ex Navy, and have done an '07 Trans Atlantic crossing on Cunard's QM2, I have never been on a cruise.

Now that I'm retired and my wife (also a cruise newby) is thinking about it, we plan to start cruising soon. We've spotted a 13/14 night cruise we'd like to do from Sydney to Sydney via 8 ports in New Zealand.

However, after some initial investigations, we notice that there are 4 cruise lines that do the exact same cruise for very similar money.

They are P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

As we have no previous experience with any of these companies can someone out there make a recommendation which one we should choose....and why?

Thanks & Cheers,

Rob

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a board here, for P&O - Australia, under Cruise Lines P-Z. Although it says P&O, it is where many of the Aussies/Kiwis hang out, and you might get some opinions there. I can't give you and opinion, other than to say I like HAL, since I have not sailed all of the lines. EM

First off, thanks for your Navy service. I have a great deal of respect for ex-military. My father was in for 21 years and I'm a military brat.

What a wonderful cruise you have chosen. Australia and New Zealand are fantastic places to visit. You will remember it for life.

As far as cruise lines. We've cruised almost all of them and my vote is for Royal Caribbean. They are the most consistent with service, food and entertainment. They also have some of largest and most expensive ships afloat. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the other I just prefer RCCL. I also feel their excursions are some of the better ones available.

Have a great time with you lovely wife.

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Presently we're leaning towards HA or RC, but this could quite possibly change and we'll post it here when we make our choice.

My MIL did the exact same cruise on a Princess ship last year, and thinks we're crazy for considering anything else.

As I write this, my dentist, also a friend, and his wife are doing the same cruise. I don't know which line, but I'll quiz them on their return.

Once again, thank you.

Rob

• 3 months later...

Well, after putting it on the backburner for a while and another length of time to mull it over, we have finally decided to book on a Holland America New Zealand Discovery Cruise aboard MS Volendam.

We haven't decided on which class of cabin to reserve yet, but I'm open to suggestions. We are leaning towards the interior J & K cabins on the Lower Prominade deck or the G cabins facing aft on the stern of the main deck. (I could then pretend to be an Admiral, with my own quarterdeck).

I have read several reviews and get mixed feelings about both. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Congratulations on your retirement! We love HAL. Their ships, service and food are tops. I know you will have a great time. Just my opinion but I suggest you look at a cabin with an outside view. 2-weeks with an inside cabin seems a little long to me.

• 7 months later...

Well, there are just 18 days to go before we embark on our 1st ever cruise.

I must say we are pretty excited presently and the excitement is growing daily.

We've done all the on-line pre-boarding stuff and will pick up the papers from our travel agent next week.

I think we've got it all organised but do any of you have any last minute suggestions for we 1st timers? Anything about Holland America or the Volendam specifically? Anything at all?

Thanks and Cheers,

Rob

PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR

Being an ex navy man you will love the Volendam it is very old school oak and brass and smaller than these super ships but very sharp. Great lower deck 4th I think wood deck chairs and teak deck . Our first cruise was on the Volendam in 2001 in Alaska. Have a great time.

Babyblue78,

Thank you, we'll try really hard.

Dolittle,

Great name, and thanks for the description of the ship. I just LOVE brass and oak etc.....

Koshlong,

Yes, I suspect I'll be spending quite a lot of time up there.

All,

Thanks for answering, its much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Enjoy looking at the ship itself with all it's brass and wood - it's fascinating to me.

Try new things! participate in some of the onboard activities and try new entrees and appetizers.

Enjoy some time on one of the decks in a lounger just watching the ocean - and thinking about how peaceful and beautiful it is - and dreaming about your next cruise :)

Please come back and tell us all about it when you get home!

Hi Rob,

All of these cruise lines are fine. But they are all slightly different. Suggest you go to the Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic, and search for reviews of the ships and itineraries you are interestted in. Also consider what the two of you like: Are you into the nightlife? Cars? Shows? Food? Athletic activities? Of course everyone on these boards will likely agree that any of those cruises would likely be great for a first timer, you may want to read reviews to find a perfect fit.

Princess lets to carry wine on board, so I go with them!!

Holland America also lets you bring wine onboard. No limit.

Enjoy some time on one of the decks in a lounger just watching the ocean - and thinking about how peaceful and beautiful it is -!

haha...this was the Volendam ..top of Alaska near Kodiak.. when we were on it...not so good on the decks...

(click on pic will lead you to the full album)

2848337030071872817S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived