Cabin 4166 on the Zuiderdam

startwin

Has anyone had this cabin on the Zuiderdam and does it really have a larger balcony that other VD's? I have this booked for a 22-day cruise, but have time to change if it's not a good choice. On the deck plans it looks no different from the others. Thanks!:)

Yes, it really does have an 18 ft wide balcony because the balcony space between 4166 and 4164 is split between them, despite what the deck plan seems to indicate. And the balcony is 7.5 ft deep. Congrats on getting that one! :)

edit: Joanie has 4164 and 4166 balcony pics here:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Noordam/index.html

These aren't on the Zuiderdam, but the size is the same.

Yes, it really does have an 18 ft wide balcony because the balcony space between 4166 and 4164 is split between them, despite what the deck plan seems to indicate. And the balcony is 7.5 ft deep. Congrats on getting that one! :)

edit: Joanie has 4164 and 4166 balcony pics here:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Noordam/index.html

These aren't on the Zuiderdam, but the size is the same.

Thank you. I did look at those pics but thought it was just the Noordam, didn't realise it would be identical on the Zuiderdam. Are you sure??!

Positive. On all four Vistas the "double wide" balconies are between 4164 and 4166, while on the Eurodam and Nieuw A they're between 4166 and 4168.

Thanks! Now I feel really pleased with myself for snagging this one.

I had one of the Eurodam equivalents in Nov/ Dec... it's FANTASTIC.

feel free to browse....

http://trudyginsburg.com/euro.html#3

http://trudyginsburg.com/euro.html#4

and a video tour at http://www.trudyginsburg.com/eurodam4166.MP4

Thanks for the reassurance, and I loved your photos too:)

Has anyone had this cabin on the Zuiderdam and does it really have a larger balcony that other VD's? I have this booked for a 22-day cruise, but have time to change if it's not a good choice. On the deck plans it looks no different from the others. Thanks!:)

The deckplan doesn't reflect the balcony correctly but that is the case with those 2 rooms on the following ships:

Zuiderdam

Oosterdam

Westerdam

Noordam

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

We had 4164 booked on a 10 day Zuiderdam cruise in March and it broke my heart to lose it when we decided to change our cruise.

Luckily when we rebooked on the 14 day Westerdam we got 4166! ;):cool:

so much for the 'big' secret ;)

We will be in 6166 on the Nieuw Amsterdam in just 8 weeks from Sunday then Oct.29th on the Westerdam we will have 6164.

We really need to close this thread this is suppose to be a well kept secret ;)

We had 4166 last winter. I agree, Lisa...I vote you to shut it down! ;)

Is that a stairway in the space between 4164 and 4166?
Yes ... for crew only ... but it's also an emergency exit down to the Promenade deck. After the lifeboat drill they let us come back up those stairs.

We will be in 6166 on the Nieuw Amsterdam in just 8 weeks from Sunday then Oct.29th on the Westerdam we will have 6164.

We really need to close this thread this is suppose to be a well kept secret ;)

Do you mean 4166 and 4164, or the two SC on deck 6?

Hi Startwin,

Looks to be a fabulous big balcony. A great choice.

Is that a stairway in the space between 4164 and 4166?

There is a crew work room next to one of them (4166 on the Eurodam). This is where they bring dishes from room service, get ice, and some other stuff I guess. We heard a little noise from there but the extra balcony space offset any issues with the noise.

Yes ... for crew only ... but it's also an emergency exit down to the Promenade deck. After the lifeboat drill they let us come back up those stairs.

Do you mean 4166 and 4164, or the two SC on deck 6?

John yes I meant 4166 and 4164, just a typo :o

• 7 months later...

We're trying to decide between two adjoining aft cabins (4174/4179) or 4164/4166 on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise. Can the door between the balconies be opened on 4164/4166?

Anyone have any thoughts to share? We're four ladies traveling together and we spoiled ourselves with a balcony cabin last time, now we're never going back!

We're trying to decide between two adjoining aft cabins (4174/4179) or 4164/4166 on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise. Can the door between the balconies be opened on 4164/4166?

Anyone have any thoughts to share? We're four ladies traveling together and we spoiled ourselves with a balcony cabin last time, now we're never going back!

GRAB 4164 & 4166 if you want a gigantic verandah!!! these are each 18 ft long!! If you have both staterooms think of a 36 foot long verandah with those open dividers between them:) Yes, BTW, you can have the steward lock them in the open position for you:)

Have you seen photos of 4164 and/4166??

Zuiderdam 4164 photos

sm-4164-1.jpg--sm-4164-2.jpg

Noordam's 4164 & 4166

sm-Noordam_4166-1.jpg--sm-Noordam_4166-2.jpg

You can click on each photo to see them full sized.

If I did not love my aft wrap around staterooms so much, this would be the next stateroom I'd be booking!!

Joanie

We're trying to decide between 4164/4166 and aft facing 4176/4179. We're doing the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. We thought the aft facing might give us a great view of the Canal.

Cons - 4164/4166 have a stairwell between them? 4176/4179 is over the Main Dining Room? Both may have more motion than a more central cabin?

Pros - 4164/4166 has the enormous balcony, 4176/4179 has deeper balconies?

Which balconies would have the most shade? Do all of the balconies have loungers as well as table/chairs?

6162/6173 are also available - would there be any benefit to the higher deck? Are they shaded?

By the way Joanie, your Holland America cabin resource is fabulous and greatly appreciated!

We're trying to decide between 4164/4166 and aft facing 4176/4179. We're doing the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. We thought the aft facing might give us a great view of the Canal.

4164 and 4164 are not aft facing. They are on the side of the ship. 4176/4179 are aft facing.

Cons - 4164/4166 have a stairwell between them? 4176/4179 is over the Main Dining Room? Both may have more motion than a more central cabin?

4164/4166 does have a stairwell between them but only on the interior (between the staterooms themselves, not the verandahs) of the ship and is only for the crew. From what I understand it is seldom used by anyone at all.

Pros - 4164/4166 has the enormous balcony, 4176/4179 has deeper balconies?

4164/4166 each have 18 feet long verandahs and combined equals 36 feet of verandah. 4176/4179 each have approximately 9 feet long and combined would equal 18 feet long. But the width would be deeper on 4176/4179.

Which balconies would have the most shade? Do all of the balconies have loungers as well as table/chairs?

Between the 4 staterooms mentioned 4164/4166 and 4176/4179 it would depend on the direction the ship is moving, or docked for shade. It would bary greatly. BUT generally you'd probably have more shade on 4164/4166.

No, not all of the verandahs have loungers. 4164/4166 and the aft facing verandahs do! the other staterooms along the sides of the ship are to narrow (between the door and the railing) to fit a lounger easily (though I have seen photos of it being done.) All vearndahs do have tables and chairs.

6162/6173 are also available - would there be any benefit to the higher deck? Are they shaded?

There is even less shade on 6162/6173 than the deck 4 aft facing staterooms. Only benefit, IMO, is you can see further:)

By the way Joanie, your Holland America cabin resource is fabulous and greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much:) It is for just such questions as yours that I created the site. I had the same questions, and more.

Glad to help!!

Joanie

Cons - 4164/4166 have a stairwell between them? 4176/4179 is over the Main Dining Room?

Personally, I don't see either of these as a "con".

The staircase is not a public area.

The upper level of the dining room is only used when you're likely to be awake anyway. Except perhaps early breakfast. But how noisy are people before they've had their coffee? It's not generally considered a noisy area.

We've decided against the deck 4 aft facing cabins because they aren't covered. So we're now trying to choose between 5188/5186 and 4164/4166. One of our members said we could hold line dance classes on the longer balcony combined balcony! One of our group really wants as much shade as possible. I think 5188/5186 offers that?

Archived