Where are good Wi-Fi Hot Spots in cruise ports?

Kokomo_Man

I’m starting this thread after suffering through the miserable internet connections on board ship. Ok… I admit that I’m an internet junkie. I know we’re supposed to get away from it on a cruise, but I can’t help it. On my last cruise after “burning up” 120 minutes with little accomplished, I started searching out Wi-Fi hot spots at the ports where we stopped. I got my “fix” without the frustration of the ships poor excuse… expensive excuse for internet. (If you read my "Live from the Carnival Freedom... link below... then you will see what led to this.)

It is my hope that cruisers will post where they find good Wi-Fi places and we can all share the information… and get our “fix”.

So, I’ll get it going by posting what I found on my last cruise. I’ll put it in separate posts so it will be easier for folks to scan through to find the spots they are looking for.

I’m starting this thread after suffering through the miserable internet connections on board ship. Ok… I admit that I’m an internet junkie. I know we’re supposed to get away from it on a cruise, but I can’t help it. On my last cruise after “burning up” 120 minutes with little accomplished, I started searching out Wi-Fi hot spots at the ports where we stopped. I got my “fix” without the frustration of the ships poor excuse… expensive excuse for internet. (If you read my "Live from the Carnival Freedom... link below... then you will see what led to this.)

It is my hope that cruisers will post where they find good Wi-Fi places and we can all share the information… and get our “fix”.

So, I’ll get it going by posting what I found on my last cruise. I’ll put it in separate posts so it will be easier for folks to scan through to find the spots they are looking for.

I'm pretty sure that info is already at the individual "Ports of Call" boards

Tortola – There’s a place called "Three Sheets". To get there, after you get off the ship, turn left and follow the shoreline down to the stoplight (a couple of short blocks.) At the stoplight bear left and continue to follow the shoreline for another short block or so. It will be on the right side of the street.

Also right next to "Three Sheets", there is a square that also has free internet. It happens to be right next to the police station.

There is also a full "internet cafe" just a block over from the shoreline... kind of behind the police station. In this place, I think you can use their computers and print out stuff if you need to. If I remember correctly, it cost $7.00 per hour.

Nassau - The Dunkin' Donuts in Nassau has a good "Wi-Fi" hook-up. You can pick up some of the free maps as you go through the shopping area just off the boat. Both of the maps I had showed the Dunkin' Donuts.

I also tried a place called "Tropicana" and it has a sign that proclaims "Wi-Fi". Tropicana is on Bay Street. (also shown on the map I had.) They have an upstairs area and I saw one other person using a laptop. But when I tried it, I couldn't get logged on. So I gave up.

Dunkin' Donuts is clearly the best local place because there must have been 20 people in there using their electronic toys. (I was there at the end of an 8 day cruise, so after all the fancy ship food, it was good to have a plane old glazed donut and some regular coffee while I was “surfing” and doing emails.)

There was also an "internet cafe" in Nassau. It was on "Woods Rogers Walk" only about a block from the port area. This was also one of those places where you can use their computers and printers. (I didn't try that one out.)

Have never toted my laptop on board as I find that the internet cafes in each port are inexpensive enough that I can get my fix without the worry of caring for an expensive device. Have noticed that there will be people outside of some of these places using their laptops. Would guess that crew members might know where the hot spots are. Bill

Any time you need to know where the hotspots are, asak a crew member. In Ocho Rios, I was on deck of Emerald Princess prior to going ashore and there was a man sitting on the forward-most deck chair with his laptop. Surmising he was a crew member, I asked if the reception was good. He said 'very good, from that yellow building over there'. EM

• 1 year later...

Carnival seems to be having second thoughts on their unlimited wifi. It seems that we need to post more here to good wifi spots so that no one has to pay the rip-off prices any more.

There's good wifi at the Margaritaville in Grand Turk. You can also pick it up on the beach just outside Margaritaville. A nice way to spend some time... laying out on the beach and getting your internet fix for free.

There are also several "free wifi" "watering-holes" along the beach. I have not tried out the wifi in any of them, but they are good watering-holes.:D

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

I agree. This topic is much better served on the Ports of Call forums for the ports involved. It would avoid wading through hot spots in the Caribbean when one is looking for Alaska, Canada, Australia, the scads of European ports....

Me? I have an app where I check out what is available in my ports. I do this before I even leave home. The in app maps show where to find the hot spots so I'm not dependent upon 'interesting' directions. I can save those I'm interested in to view off-line.

I'm pretty sure that info is already at the individual "Ports of Call" boards

• 10 months later...

Yes, the specific boards would be best, but - lacking other information - check out the local public libraries (if they are close to your port you're there at rational days on a weekday). We had good luck in ports in Norway .... not to mention that the libraries we visited were just GORGEOUS. I had so much fun in the children's sections, taking photos of books that kids at my library (in the U.S.) loved, but were translated into Norwegian.

Me? I have an app where I check out what is available in my ports. I do this before I even leave home. The in app maps show where to find the hot spots so I'm not dependent upon 'interesting' directions. I can save those I'm interested in to view off-line.

Could you share the name of the app you use?

I have always had luck asking the crew, or following crew carrying laptops.

Any time you need to know where the hotspots are, asak a crew member. In Ocho Rios, I was on deck of Emerald Princess prior to going ashore and there was a man sitting on the forward-most deck chair with his laptop. Surmising he was a crew member, I asked if the reception was good. He said 'very good, from that yellow building over there'. EM

Bingo!!! The crew knows where the good spots are.

Could you share the name of the app you use?

I have always had luck asking the crew, or following crew carrying laptops.

I use 'Wi-Fi Finder'. In addition to using ahead of time when you have wifi, you can also download a database to use when offline.

I have one of the apps for Wi-Fi but to be honest in the Caribbean I really don't think you need it or at least I haven't. I have so far found plenty of places for free Wi-Fi just being observant. Many bars and restaurants offer free Wi-Fi for just buying a beer or soda. Sometimes I will see the sign on bar saying they have free Wi-Fi but most often I notice free spots because I see a bunch of people with their phones, tablets, or computers out. If you are in a port with McDonalds or Starbucks they usually have free Wi-Fi.

Shak

I don't drag my laptop to shore and wander the streets in a foreign country to get high speed wifi in port.

I have a portable wifi hot spot with me. No it doesn't pick up signals out at sea. But it does in port.

You have to call your cell phone provider in advance, give them a list of ports where you will be and buy a package that gets you service in those ports. Then instead of spending port days sitting at a counter in store, you can sit by the pool (which is uncrowded), sipping a Mojito and surf.

Or you can grab your emails and do your surfing in your cabin while the lines to get off the ship are long, and go see the port or go on excursions an hour or two later.

Go to Google. There are lots of sites that list WiFi spots. No need to start another one.

DON

I've got an Android app called "Open Signal" that shows wireless (both voice and data) status and an indicator of location to the cell tower in use. It can also be switched to a map that shows the locations.

The app also displays a list of WiFi networks with signal strength on a list or map. It displays a padlock if the network is secured. This same WiFi information can be displayed on my phone or laptop as well without any special app. Just look at what's available. If it is a secure WiFi, you'll need to get the password, of course.