Do you like the new changes to the C&A Points System?

EVALUATOR

Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?  

1,233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?

• Yes, I am satisfied.
    • Yes, it is even better than I expected.
    • Well, I can live with it, but.......(and then explain in a post on the thread)
    • Yes, the benefits are much better.
    • Yes, I have WAY more credits than I thought I would!
    • Frankly, nothing makes me happy. I am the biggest grump on Cruise Critic.
    • No. I will NEVER get to the next level now!
    • NO. Just NO. I am so sick of the whole thing. NO.

[quote name='Snackdaddy']Hey torm1of4,

I love your higher education analogy...people/students nowadays, have such a sense of entitlement that they do not want to EARN anything anymore...:o[/quote]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy][B]Thanks DaddyO!!![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy][B] I figured I get flamed to a crisp for that comment![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

fire,

The differences are pretty small. There is a welcome aboard gift (a basket with cheese, crackers and some snack stuff plus each person can get a beverage (I think mostly water or soda). The only other difference, I think, is that the Balcony/Suite discount is $25 more than Platinum.

[quote name='bob278']fire,

The differences are pretty small. There is a welcome aboard gift (a basket with cheese, crackers and some snack stuff plus each person can get a beverage (I think mostly water or soda). The only other difference, I think, is that the Balcony/Suite discount is $25 more than Platinum.[/QUOTE]

And most people get to wait one more cruise before getting to Diamond. The benefit is for RCCL.

(Now don't get me wrong - I bought my cruises and got full value for them, even if I never got anything else - so this is not a complaint. But let's not pretend that there was nothing in this for RCCL. They are the ones that came out ahead (and a few cruisers for whom the stars aligned just right :D)

[quote name='GHarkness']When you finally get the answer in real life :), would you mind posting it here? Not that it's an emergency or anything - my next cruise is in a week, and I am certain that it will be under the new system, but as a CPA, I am always curious how they go about figuring those things and making changes in an already-moving system.

I was one cruise away from Platinum before the new system, and I am one cruise away from Platinum now, so in two weeks, I'll be platinum. That and a few dollars will get me a cup of coffee after I get off the ship :D because most of the perk stuff isn't of interest to me anyway. I'm ok with balcony and internet discounts though. :D[/quote]

The points for my 8 - 17 January cruise posted to my account today as 9 cruise points under the new system. It made no real difference to me, but a friend of mine who was on the sailing as well had 7 cruise credits under the old system so it makes a significant difference to her account because of the huge difference in having 7 cruise credits and 8 cruise credits converted into the new system. I saw a post somewhere about when a cc member approached C&A about a similar situation they were told that there was a 12 Jan cut-off. Nonetheless, their website states that cruises taken after 21 January (not cruises credited after 21 January) will be under the new system.

[quote name='jjdc'] Nonetheless, their website states that cruises taken after 21 January (not cruises credited after 21 January) will be under the new system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, and so it does say so. In addition, I have found a page that tells specifically when EACH ship's changeover date is. I was going to copy/paste the chart here but it was a mess. Here's the link:

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000TH6nm3sITpTN0oSV3yHqWVS:12hdhu6tq?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqId=4214&faqSubjectId=340&faqType=faq"]Changeover date for each ship.[/URL]

So I wonder how the changeover date as posted on this page relates to cruise credits taken on those ships and the changeover date as posted to be the 21st AND the "cutoff" date of the 12th!

I am glad I don't work for RCCL right now. :D

[quote name='bob278']fire,

The differences are pretty small. There is a welcome aboard gift (a basket with cheese, crackers and some snack stuff plus each person can get a beverage (I think mostly water or soda). The only other difference, I think, is that the Balcony/Suite discount is $25 more than Platinum.[/quote]

[quote name='GHarkness']And most people get to wait one more cruise before getting to Diamond. The benefit is for RCCL.

(Now don't get me wrong - I bought my cruises and got full value for them, even if I never got anything else - so this is not a complaint. But let's not pretend that there was nothing in this for RCCL. They are the ones that came out ahead (and a few cruisers for whom the stars aligned just right :D)[/quote]

Thanks .. well it more than I had before right?? I was sitting in the lobby of the hotel on their free computer and reading that the changes were out and went to RCL briefly and saw I was Emerald. I clicked on some things, but wasnt seeing it, but I was in a hurry so thanks.

[quote name='GHarkness']Thanks, and so it does say so. In addition, I have found a page that tells specifically when EACH ship's changeover date is. I was going to copy/paste the chart here but it was a mess. Here's the link:

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000TH6nm3sITpTN0oSV3yHqWVS:12hdhu6tq?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqId=4214&faqSubjectId=340&faqType=faq"]Changeover date for each ship.[/URL]

So I wonder how the changeover date as posted on this page relates to cruise credits taken on those ships and the changeover date as posted to be the 21st AND the "cutoff" date of the 12th!

I am glad I don't work for RCCL right now. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I saw it, but did not think much of it until you mentioned it, so I am curious as to how they will adjust my points. I was on board the Jewel on 1/21 during the change. Original sail date 1/14, disembark: 1/24. I had a posted 9 points on the old system.

9 + 1 = 10 (Diamond)

76 + 10 = 86 (Diamond)

Hopefully this will be the same result either way. Will be interesting to see how it posts.

[quote name='GHarkness']Thanks, and so it does say so. In addition, I have found a page that tells specifically when EACH ship's changeover date is. I was going to copy/paste the chart here but it was a mess. Here's the link:

I am glad I don't work for RCCL right now. :D[/QUOTE]

I would have thought they'd go by the new rules on the dates listed for new sailings. Apparently they plan to go by the rules on the date the cruise ends.

I just had my 1/17 - 1/22 cruise posted. It was a D2 upgraded to a JS. They gave me just the 5 points. I called them to question it. In a very mild manner on both sides and a 25 minute hold time, she came back and told me they are going to credit me another 5 points for the JS. I didn't press the issue but I did tell her at first that I thought the cruise should qualify for the former 2 cruise credits converted to points at the rate of 7 points per credit. I'll just consider this a compromise on both sides and see if the 5 points really show up in the next few days as she said would happen.

I still believe they should treat each cruise under rules that were in effect at the time of embarkation. Apparently that isn't going to happen.

Gina

I would have thought they'd go by the new rules on the dates listed for new sailings. Apparently they plan to go by the rules on the date the cruise ends.

I just had my 1/17 - 1/22 cruise posted. It was a D2 upgraded to a JS. They gave me just the 5 points. I called them to question it. In a very mild manner on both sides and a 25 minute hold time, she came back and told me they are going to credit me another 5 points for the JS. I didn't press the issue but I did tell her at first that I thought the cruise should qualify for the former 2 cruise credits converted to points at the rate of 7 points per credit. I'll just consider this a compromise on both sides and see if the 5 points really show up in the next few days as she said would happen.

I still believe they should treat each cruise under rules that were in effect at the time of embarkation. Apparently that isn't going to happen.

Gina

Gina,

Was that a complimentary upgrade to JS?

Still nothing posted on my cruise, but I disembarked 2 days after you.

Gina,

Was that a complimentary upgrade to JS?

Still nothing posted on my cruise, but I disembarked 2 days after you.

Yes, it was a C&A upgrade. Under the embarkation rules, it would have been 2 cruise credits. Converted as all cruises were no matter the length, it would have been 14 cruise points. If figures that when I finally get a comp upgrade, they would change the rules. Although since the cruise departed prior to the rule change and even their website says Radiance rules begin on Jan 22, they want to treat it under the new rules. That's why if they really follow through and give me the points for the upgrade but at the daily cruise point rate, I'll be happy enough to call it a compromise and not push for the full point credit. It's not worth the hassle. Especially with that ridiculous 25 minute hold time I already experienced.

Gina

You did not read carefully enough. we are sailing on Saturday and already booked and paid for a JS in November. that makes ten which used to be Diamond. So your math is still off a bit. An authority on how everyones account plays out -- you are not.

Yes, it was a C&A upgrade. Under the embarkation rules, it would have been 2 cruise credits. Converted as all cruises were no matter the length, it would have been 14 cruise points. If figures that when I finally get a comp upgrade, they would change the rules. Although since the cruise departed prior to the rule change and even their website says Radiance rules begin on Jan 22, they want to treat it under the new rules. That's why if they really follow through and give me the points for the upgrade but at the daily cruise point rate, I'll be happy enough to call it a compromise and not push for the full point credit. It's not worth the hassle. Especially with that ridiculous 25 minute hold time I already experienced.

Gina

Yep - take the extra 5 points.

Because I thought under the new rules you only get the double points for JS if you *PAY* for the upgrade. Comp upgrade doesn't count. So if they strictly apply the new rules instead of the old, you would get 5 points instead of 14. 10 is a good compromise!

Quote:

<<Originally Posted by yj2cute

This is the exact scenario that they are trying to change. You were 1 cruise away from Diamond before the change and you still are. Just change your short cruise from 3 to 4 nights and you have your Diamond status.

My reply:

If it were that easy I would do it. I don't have unlimited days off and other vacations have already been planned.

Look, I'm not whining here, just commenting on what I feel is an inequity. That's what this thread is for, and it's my opinion. I will appeal to who I can, it certainly can't do any damage.

The end of the saga is this. I got an e-mail today from C&A and they said, yes you would have been Diamond after the coming cruise, and once you contact us after that cruise we will make good on that. All it took was a well thought out request and it was done.

My mom always said if you ask nicely, you can get what you want!

Quote:

Look, I'm not whining here, just commenting on what I feel is an inequity. That's what this thread is for, and it's my opinion. I will appeal to who I can, it certainly can't do any damage.

The end of the saga is this. I got an e-mail today from C&A and they said, yes you would have been Diamond after the coming cruise, and once you contact us after that cruise we will make good on that. All it took was a well thought out request and it was done.

Exactly! I always say, 'Its an automatic NO if you don't ask'. And it sounds like you contacted someone that knows customer service. Hopefully you'll get them again after the cruise.

Congrats.

Erika

Exactly! I always say, 'Its an automatic NO if you don't ask'. And it sounds like you contacted someone that knows customer service. Hopefully you'll get them again after the cruise.

Congrats.

Erika

I have the e-mail they sent me with that information tucked away in my RCL folder. The day we get back, that e-mail is replied to "reminding" C&A of their promise.

I have the e-mail they sent me with that information tucked away in my RCL folder. The day we get back, that e-mail is replied to "reminding" C&A of their promise.

Congrats!!! ;) Just a suggestion here, give it a week to 10 days after your return. C&A will not have received info from the ship on your completed cruise immediately after your return. IF they have your cruise info in front of them when your email is received, you are apt to receive the outcome you have been promised quicker/easier.

Bruce

Quote:

<<Originally Posted by yj2cute

This is the exact scenario that they are trying to change. You were 1 cruise away from Diamond before the change and you still are. Just change your short cruise from 3 to 4 nights and you have your Diamond status.

My reply:

If it were that easy I would do it. I don't have unlimited days off and other vacations have already been planned.

Good for you! It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can do is say no, and in your case they didn't!

I am really disgusted with the changes. We have a B2B booked in less than two weeks which would have taken us from Diamond to Diamond Plus. We will now have to take two 7 day cruises to get to that level after the B2B. We made Diamond only to have the Concierge Club taken away and now they have "moved the goal posts" yet again for us to get to D+.

We too are disgusted with the change to the system, and believe that it may be a breach of contract. We have booked and paid for several cruises over the next six months under the old system, and which would have taken us to a higher level, but due to the conversion process, will not now do so.

The changes should have applied to cruises BOOKED after the change, so that people would know the conditions before booking, and the old system applied for cruises booked but not taken at the announcement of the change.

We too are disgusted with the change to the system, and believe that it may be a breach of contract. We have booked and paid for several cruises over the next six months under the old system, and which would have taken us to a higher level, but due to the conversion process, will not now do so

.....that will fix 'em.........:mad:

If someone was 2 cruises short of diamond plus they would have 22 cruise credits that now equals 167 days whicn means you would only be 8 days short of the 175 needed for diamond plus. Unless the B2B is only a 3 day and 4 day you would just be one cruise day short. I think you would be in almost the same position you were before the change.

As far as the other poster saying it is a breach of contract I think the program rules state that it can be changed at any time.

While I am happy with the new system of points, I am still a bit frustrated over my predicament,which I haven't seen posted anywhere on these bb's. There are so many threads, but I don't think I saw anyone post my situation. Here's the deal. In 2006 I contacted RC to say that by my calculations we were now diamond. I was told their records did not show ALL the cruises I told them we had been on. Keep in mind that I am talking about four people in our family who were on each cruise, except for one family member, who missed one. They asked if I could verify all our cruises. So..I sent in verification in the form of clearly marked photos with dates, passengers lists (remember when they used to have those?), ticket stubs, etc. you name it, I had it for each of us..except once again, the one cruise that one of our family missed. It was more cruises than needed to qualify for Diamond status. By return mail, they notified us we were all indeed diamond. After that, when I looked at cruise history on RC's website, I noticed that although ALL of the cruises were to Bermuda (yes, every single one of them) their records listed them as various locations (even though I showed documentation, etc. that they were all to Bermuda and even the cabin numbers for each cruise for each of us.) I called RC again and was told, it didn't matter, we were diamond and that was the all that was needed was that which was shown. Okay. Now, in 2011 with the change, of course, 3 of us found that we were not given credit for some of the earlier cruises we had been on (that were documented in 2006). Oddly enough the family member who had missed the one cruise, was given the points for that cruise and 2 others that we were not. After speaking to 3 different reps for RC, I am still not making any progress. Yes, I will continue to cruise on the ships, but just feel that having already proved our previous trips, 3 of us were not given the cruise credits and the one who missed one cruise was given the points we all should have had. Sorry if I confused anyone, it's confusing to say the least. All in all, we love RC and Celebrity. Fair is fair...and of the four of us, only one received the correct points/credits. Jousting at windmills is not for me anymore but wonder if anyone else had a similar predicament? Thanks for listening...I feel better. :) Swiss

We too are disgusted with the change to the system, and believe that it may be a breach of contract. We have booked and paid for several cruises over the next six months under the old system, and which would have taken us to a higher level, but due to the conversion process, will not now do so.

The changes should have applied to cruises BOOKED after the change, so that people would know the conditions before booking, and the old system applied for cruises booked but not taken at the announcement of the change.

The benefits of the Crown and Anchor are not part of the contract. You are going to get exactly what is in your contract - a cruise.

Congrats!!! ;) Just a suggestion here, give it a week to 10 days after your return. C&A will not have received info from the ship on your completed cruise immediately after your return. IF they have your cruise info in front of them when your email is received, you are apt to receive the outcome you have been promised quicker/easier.

Bruce

BBrad -

That's a better idea than sending it right away. We've had one or two cruises that the credit didn't show for almost 3 weeks.

Ken

Archived