HOW RCI FIGURED NEW CREDITS...(Seriously)

EVALUATOR

Warning... If you are not a morning person, wait until later today to read.

Here is how RCI converted the cruise credits to days at sea.They seem to have started at the Diamond Plus level, and went up or down from there. From Gold to Diamond, it gets pretty screwy, because there are too many levels in a short time frame.

It looks to me like this was the system.

1st. They set the minimum requirements for each level.

Gold.....................3

Platinum..............30

Emerald...............55

Diamond..............80

Diamond Plus........175

Pinnacle...............700

Then they gave everybody with the old minimum enough credits to be in the level. But they made sure (mostly) that someone 1 credit short under the old level would reach the new level regardless of the length of their next cruise. After that they took people with more than enough credits for a level, and gave them 7 days credit for every cruise credit over.

Confused? Lets take Diamond Plus.

It used to take 24 cruise credits, now it takes 175 cruise days. Nobody that was Diamond Plus loses that level. If you had 23 credits (one short under the new system,you converted to 174 points, or 1 day short. Any cruise on RCI puts you into the Diamond Plus level.

Then they went up or down 7 cruise points from the 174 for each old cruise credit you had.

SHORT DIAMOND PLUS

22=167 or 174-7

21=160 or 174-14

20=153 or 174-21

AT DIAMOND PLUS (or 24 credits on the old system)

181 that is the closest you could be with 174 credits plus 7 more for the 24th.

24=181 or 174+7

25=188 or 174+14

26=195 or 174+21

1 8 GOLD

2 15

3 22

4 29 1 SHORT OF PLATINUM AT 30

5 38 PLATINUM

6 45

7 52 3 SHORT OF EMERALD AT 55

8 69 EMERALD

9 76 4 SHORT OF DIAMOND AT 80

10 83 DIAMOND

11 90

12 97

13 104

14 111

15 118

16 125

17 132

18 139

19 146

20 153

21 160

22 167

23 174 1 SHORT OF DIAMOND PLUS AT 175

24 181 DIAMOND PLUS

25 188

26 195

27 202

28 209

29 216

30 223

40 293

50 363

60 433

70 503

80 573

90 643

98 699

99 706

100 713

Warning... If you are not a morning person, wait until later today to read.

Here is how RCI converted the cruise credits to days at sea.They seem to have started at the Diamond Plus level, and went up or down from there. From Gold to Diamond, it gets pretty screwy, because there are too many levels in a short time frame.

It looks to me like this was the system.

1st. They set the minimum requirements for each level.

Gold.....................3

Platinum..............30

Emerald...............55

Diamond..............80

Diamond Plus........175

Pinnacle...............700

Then they gave everybody with the old minimum enough credits to be in the level. But they made sure (mostly) that someone 1 credit short under the old level would reach the new level regardless of the length of their next cruise. After that they took people with more than enough credits for a level, and gave them 7 days credit for every cruise credit over.

Confused? Lets take Diamond Plus.

It used to take 24 cruise credits, now it takes 175 cruise days. Nobody that was Diamond Plus loses that level. If you had 23 credits (one short under the new system,you converted to 174 points, or 1 day short. Any cruise on RCI puts you into the Diamond Plus level.

Then they went up or down 7 cruise points from the 174 for each old cruise credit you had.

SHORT DIAMOND PLUS

22=167 or 174-7

21=160 or 174-14

20=153 or 174-21

AT DIAMOND PLUS (or 24 credits on the old system)

181 that is the closest you could be with 174 credits plus 7 more for the 24th.

24=181 or 174+7

25=188 or 174+14

26=195 or 174+21

1 8 GOLD

2 15

3 22

4 29 1 SHORT OF PLATINUM AT 30

5 38 PLATINUM

6 45

7 52 3 SHORT OF EMERALD AT 55

8 69 EMERALD

9 76 4 SHORT OF DIAMOND AT 80

10 83 DIAMOND

11 90

12 97

13 104

14 111

15 118

16 125

17 132

18 139

19 146

20 153

21 160

22 167

23 174 1 SHORT OF DIAMOND PLUS AT 175

24 181 DIAMOND PLUS

25 188

26 195

27 202

28 209

29 216

30 223

40 293

50 363

60 433

70 503

80 573

90 643

98 699

99 706

100 713

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night? :eek:

And. . . where's the starfish?

Sure wish that I paid more attention in my calculus class!!!

Did it make any sense.

Basically everything converted to 1 credit equaled 7 nights.

They started at 23 old credits, gave it 174 nights credit, made that 1 night short of Diamond Plus and went up or down 7 nights for each old cruise credit.

They just really made it look confusing, because they adjusted the amount at each level to make sure those 1 old credit away from the higher level were still only one cruise away from the new level.

I haven't been able to log into the RCCL website so I can't see my account, but if what you are saying is correct, this will help my DD but will hurt myself and DS.

We have taken 3 cruises together ( 2 7's & 1 5 = 19 days). My DD took a cruise with her boyfriend for her 4th cruise (5 days) which would put her at 24 days. If what you say is true she will be at 29 which any cruise will take her to the next level, while under the old system she probably would have had to taken a 7 dayer. I will need a 4 & 7 day to go to 30, while my son who is on a 4 day on spring break will also need another 7 days to make the next level.

Gregg

I haven't been able to log into the RCCL website so I can't see my account, but if what you are saying is correct, this will help my DD but will hurt myself and DS.

We have taken 3 cruises together ( 2 7's & 1 5 = 19 days). My DD took a cruise with her boyfriend for her 4th cruise (5 days) which would put her at 24 days. If what you say is true she will be at 29 which any cruise will take her to the next level, while under the old system she probably would have had to taken a 7 dayer. I will need a 4 & 7 day to go to 30, while my son who is on a 4 day on spring break will also need another 7 days to make the next level.

Gregg

It seemed like they kept it where everyone that was 1 credit away would reach the new level with one cruise.

But getting to Diamond, if you were 2-3 credits away got a little more difficult, so they added the Emerald level as a token level.

So, my 7 credits will translate to 52 under the new system, which will be 4 cruises short of diamond, instead of 3 (based on the fact that, when I cruise, it's typically 7-nighters). But...I'll be just one cruise short of the new "Emerald" level.

Are the Platinum perks the same?

Ah, much easier than just leaving it alone! :rolleyes:

I really hope the mass of complaints C&A is about to receive is worth it. I'm already getting mine ready.

I imagine a big reason for this change is to eliminate the 'become Diamond in 4 cruses" scenario. My guess is no more double credits for JS and above. They may get 1 or 2 extra credits but it doesn't really make sense to change the system if you can still reach the higher tiers with just a few cruises.

And the conversion did not change the current ranking of cruisers.

If you took 50 seven night cruises, and had 50 credits before, or took 50 three night cruises, and had 50 credits before, you are both the same level, and have the same number of cruise points.

That will start to change if your cruise length tendencies don't.

I imagine a big reason for this change is to eliminate the 'become Diamond in 4 cruses" scenario. My guess is no more double credits for JS and above. They may get 1 or 2 extra credits but it doesn't really make sense to change the system if you can still reach the higher tiers with just a few cruises.

They give double the number of days if you book and pay for a JS or higher.

I can confirm this from my account. I was platinum, with 9 credits. Several of those credits were for 3 and 5 night cruises when I lived in Florida. I would have had around 50 points if you used new system. When I checked my current total, I had 76 points. I'm happy about it, since I just got off the cruise that would have pushed me to diamond and it still will :)

The biggest change is that you won't be able to quickly rack up points on short cruises like you could before. But you still get double points for booking a suite, so if you bought suites on longer cruises, you could still reach diamond in 3 - 4 trips.

I'm sure there will be complaints, but I've seen a number of people suggest that a system based on nights sailed would be much more fair. Seems RCI felt the same.

I think it's fair....

Theres nothing fair about changing the rules of the game while you're playing it. There should have been lead time to let people cancel or modify their cruise plans.

We upgraded to a suite for next months cruise partially to get the two points to make us Diamond. Now it won't happen since that cruise will get us 8 points under the new system (we have 69 credits). It stings even more that C&A clearly stated that we would be Diamond after it's completion.

Not only is it unfair, I think its borderline fraud. Akin to a bait and switch. Well, we took the bait, and now they've switched. They've got our money, which is apparently all they care about.

They give double the number of days if you book and pay for a JS or higher.
That would mean someone could become Diamond after six 7-night cruises in a JS if they wanted to. I suppose it will take more longer to reach Diamond cruising those 3-nighters in a JS.

The biggest change is that you won't be able to quickly rack up points on short cruises like you could before. But you still get double points for booking a suite, so if you bought suites on longer cruises, you could still reach diamond in 3 - 4 trips.

I'm sure there will be complaints, but I've seen a number of people suggest that a system based on nights sailed would be much more fair. Seems RCI felt the same.

Yep, you're right Paul. That seems to be the target of the change.

I'm a morning person and this took a me a little bit to digest, but looks like you nailed it. I was trying to figure out how from 6 we went to 45. Not complaining. It's about 9 more than I would have calculated. Being human (translate to greedy :rolleyes: ) I would have LOVED it it was at least 3 more as I have my FOS trip coming up and that would have pushed me to Emerald. Oh well, another reason I'll have to book another cruise. :D

Erika

I guess, in a way, my 7 credits was one of the worst places to be, because in most cases, a one-credit difference would mean a 7-point difference in the new system. With 7 credits, I'm 17 points lower than someone who went in to the new system with 8 of the old credits.

Not really complaining - it is what it is - just an observation that between 7 and 8 old credits is by far the biggest difference.

Theres nothing fair about changing the rules of the game while you're playing it. There should have been lead time to let people cancel or modify their cruise plans.

This I completely agree with. While I understand they have the right to change the terms of their loyalty program at any time, doing so with no 'grace period' is pretty shoddy. Especially after the big push recently for people to book for cruise credits.

Archived