HOW RCI FIGURED NEW CREDITS...(Seriously)

EVALUATOR

I was trying to understand how my 3 cruise credits came to 22. We are Gold and won't make Platinum until after our oct 2011 cruise. Our RCL cruises are an 11 night E Caribbean and a 15 day RT Hawaii

They used a conversion with 4 credits being the value for Platinum, new value 29 points.

You have 3 credits. You need 1 more to make Platinum. 1 x 7 = 7.

29 - 7 = 22. I am using the conversion that Evaluator posted.

The way C&A arrived at the points is they took everyone's current number of cruise credits..........multiplied by 7 and then added 13.

So, some got more points and some got less points based on their current cruise history as of today.

Going forward it will be actual number of nights sailed and doubled if in a JS cabin or above.

And apparently no longer extra credit for cruising 12 or more nights so that is really not an incentive any longer. Unless I am missing it somewhere in the benefits. Anyone see this?

Before the maximum number of credits you could earn on any one cruise was 3 (1 for completing the cruise, 1 for booking a JS or higher and 1 for 12+ nights or longer).

Now you get a point for each night and double points if you cruise in a JS or higher.

So, for a 12 night cruise you will get 12 points not 2 credits. If you stay in a JS cabin or above you will get 24 points instead of 3 credits. A much fairer system IMHO.

When you go thru and take my actual nights and then double the ones in suites according to their procedure it would be 160. I have one twelve nighter in a grand suite that I was given 3 credits for which if figuring that way is 172. All RCCL did was take my credits and multiply by 7. most of my history is 9 nighters on Explorer and many grand suites by the luck of great residency rate or senior citizen discount. I have a buddy on explorer right now probably hitting the roof as most of her cruises on 12 nights which she is on and in owners suite or junior suite. Big difference for her but she will still be grandfathered. So my next cruise either way is 18 more nights as I am on explorer in a suite. But I should be diamond plus after that and apparently that won't be the case unless they go back and adjust my nights. Just went thru crown and anchor in november making sure my cruise history was correct. I was told not to worry what it showed as long as my credits matched my records as they show more cruises on my history than what I took. Now if I could physically be on the jewel and liberty and explorer all on the same week I would hold them to that but I am not that kind of person. They never removed those phantom cruises but my credits are correct and the cruises i did take are there with correct nights and correct credits previously till today.

OK, so 160 is really the number you would have had, if the new system had been applied from the beginning, not 172. Correct?

To me, it looks like a JS is still a suite for double points.

14 One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS). Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category

Obviously, all of us have been cruising too much.....:D instead of watching the TV show NUMBERS about the math genius helping his FBI brother....:D 40 yrs. later that calculus class paid off.:p...... We comment on our own situation RCL had to look at the whole pie. Most of us look at getting to a goal in the shortest and fastest time. There could be people out there that have 20 cruises and over 175 days at sea, so what do you do with them??? So what RCL did was to set out the new chart from this day forward and calculate each member on their past days at sea and credits as to not penalize any one group..... Yea!!!!! RCL to sum up..... the new chart is what you need to achieve the new levels...... your past cruise credits and days at sea determined where you fall in the new chart....... watch the show.:confused:

The way C&A arrived at the points is they took everyone's current number of cruise credits..........multiplied by 7 and then added 13.

This is only true for those with 8 or more cruise credits under the original system.

For those with 1-4 credits, it's (# of credits x 7) + 1

For those with 5-7 credits, it's (# of credits x 7) + 3

I'm not following your logic. There was never (except on Cruise Critic) anything that said you "should have" any particular number. By my figuring, you are in exactly the same condition you were before. A cruise of any length will make you Platinum. But you are right about the sweet deal - even more so if someone had 4 3-night cruises. But still, both you and those with 4 really short cruises will make Platinum with one more cruise.

What I am saying is that by the new rules, if one night equals one point and a suite doubles each night to two points, then my points are short by one. That is only *IF* (big "if") things were retroactively converted to the new rules via days and not by a flat credit conversion. 5+7+18 (9 days doubled for a suite)=30, not 29, which is what I'm being credited at with the credit conversion calculator. Since 30 is the next level, *IF* I was being credited by days, and not converted credits, then I would already be at the next level, not just one day shy. See what I am saying now? :)

So, some got more points and some got less points based on their current cruise history as of today.

Going forward it will be actual number of nights sailed and doubled if in a JS cabin or above.

Before the maximum number of credits you could earn on any one cruise was 3 (1 for completing the cruise, 1 for booking a JS or higher and 1 for 12+ nights or longer).

Now you get a point for each night and double points if you cruise in a JS or higher.

So, for a 12 night cruise you will get 12 points not 2 credits. If you stay in a JS cabin or above you will get 24 points instead of 3 credits. A much fairer system IMHO.

This is only true for those with 8 or more cruise credits under the original system.

For those with 1-4 credits, it's (# of credits x 7) + 1

For those with 5-7 credits, it's (# of credits x 7) + 3

Credits X 7 + 13 only works once you are "Emerald"

The post was as much the reasoning as the formula. Basically, those one cruise credit short a level are one cruise from that level now. (less the aforementioned 3 nighter with those formerly at 23 cruise credits.)

What I am saying is that by the new rules, if one night equals one point and a suite doubles each night to two points, then my points are short by one. That is only *IF* (big "if") things were retroactively converted to the new rules via days and not by a flat credit conversion. 5+7+18 (9 days doubled for a suite)=30, not 29, which is what I'm being credited at with the credit conversion calculator. Since 30 is the next level, *IF* I was being credited by days, and not converted credits, then I would already be at the next level, not just one day shy. See what I am saying now? :)

I totally see what you are saying, and THAT is the main complaint people seem to be having about the change.

To my mind, reading through the threads, the people who are most upset are those who would have benefited from RC going back and retroactively using the "new" system to determine current levels. That is, those people who took longer cruises, especially in suites.

I am sure that was tossed around, and yes, I suppose they could have set up a system that would determine everyone's new level in whichever way was most advantageous to the guest. That would be cumbersome, but definitely doable.

Whatever the process was to determine the best way to make the changes, RC decided not to do that. Instead, everyone has a flat conversion based on however many credits they had under the old system. I am speculating, but I would guess that a large majority of cruisers are either the same or better this way. There just don't seem to be that large a percentage of cruisers who consistently take long trips.

To me, the thread that best demonstrates this is Merion Mom's poll, which, the last I checked, showed about 80% of responders happy overall with the change.

The perks of C&A are a gift to loyal cruisers. How can a free gift be fraud?:confused:

Because they hold them up as an incentive to book with them. We upgraded to the JS partially to get to Diamond. Now they've changed it with no "official" warning and without consideration to what they previously offered.

I don't care if they change their system, but a grace period for those who cannot change their booked cruises would have been the right thing to do. Oh well, it will work out worse for them in the long run. This makes me want to cruise with them less. How can I have any faith in a system that may constantly change making it harder for me to participate?

I totally see what you are saying, and THAT is the main complaint people seem to be having about the change.

To my mind, reading through the threads, the people who are most upset are those who would have benefited from RC going back and retroactively used the "new" system to determine current levels. That is, those people who took longer cruises, especially in suites.

I am sure that was tossed around, and yes, I suppose they could have set up a system that would determine everyone's new level in whichever way was most advantageous to the guest. That would be cumbersome, but definitely doable.

Whatever the process was to determine the best way to make the changes, RC decided not to do that. Instead, everyone has a flat conversion based on however many credits they had under the old system. I am speculating, but I would guess that a large majority of cruisers are either the same or better this way. There just don't seem to be that large a percentage of cruisers who consistently take long trips.

To me, the thread that best demonstrates this is Merion Mom's poll, which, the last I checked, showed about 80% of responders happy overall with the change.

I'm glad someone sees what I mean. :) I was going to be at the next level after this cruise, and since I still am, for the sake of one day, I don't really care too much.:p It's more of an "Aw shucks" kind of thing; so close but yet so far, LOL! Overall the new system seems pretty good - lots of people with just a few 3, 4 or 5 night cruises will benefit from the conversion which is great. :)

Yep, and even those of us with (average) 7-night cruises benefit, or at least we did. 28 nights at sea on 4 cruises, one 7-night in a JS, and instead of 35 points we have 38.

Also, I took a look again at the poll (and I apologize to Evaluator for giving all the credit to Merion Mom, as it appears to have been a bit of a "collaborative effort"... ;)), and at that point there were 330 responses, with 298 responding positively. That's over 90%. I'd say given the caveat that you can't please ALL the people ALL the time, RC will take that.

Because they hold them up as an incentive to book with them. We upgraded to the JS partially to get to Diamond. Now they've changed it with no "official" warning and without consideration to what they previously offered.

I don't care if they change their system, but a grace period for those who cannot change their booked cruises would have been the right thing to do. Oh well, it will work out worse for them in the long run. This makes me want to cruise with them less. How can I have any faith in a system that may constantly change making it harder for me to participate?

This statement implies that you only cruised with RCCL for the C&A status and perks? Didn't you enjoy the ships and the product that they offer?

Yep, and even those of us with (average) 7-night cruises benefit, or at least we did. 28 nights at sea on 4 cruises, one 7-night in a JS, and instead of 35 points we have 38.

Also, I took a look again at the poll (and I apologize to Evaluator for giving all the credit to Merion Mom, as it appears to have been a bit of a "collaborative effort"... ;)), and at that point there were 330 responses, with 298 responding positively. That's over 90%. I'd say given the caveat that you can't please ALL the people ALL the time, RC will take that.

That's OK. We worked on it this morning early, and I was having issues with Mrs E.

We worked on the "RCI website crashing" on the 12th poll. She got all the credit:o:confused: for that on too.:)

1 8 GOLD

2 15

3 22

4 29 1 SHORT OF PLATINUM AT 30

5 38 PLATINUM

6 45

7 52 3 SHORT OF EMERALD AT 55

8 69 EMERALD

9 76 4 SHORT OF DIAMOND AT 80

10 83 DIAMOND

This makes sense to me. Thanks!! I couldn't figure out what my points would be based on some of the formulas in other postings.

From what I have figured using their online calculator to convert previous cruse credits into new Cruise Points they gave eight points for the 1st cruise credit, nine points for the 5th cruise credit, seventeen points for the 8th and seven point for all other cruise credits.

Therefore,

1) if you have 1-4 cruise credits you can just multiply your cruise credits times seven and add one.

2) if you have 5-7 cruise credits you can just multiply your cruise credits times seven and add three.

3) If you have 8 or more then multiply your cruise credits times seven and add thirteen.

From their calculator: 1-8, 2-15, 3-22, 4-29, 5-38, 6-45, 7-52, 8-69, 9-76, 10-83 plus 7 from there on up.

We did exactly that. We were at 19 credits and went on B2b in December (one leg in a GS). This got us to D+ in 9 days. The rumours have been out there for some time. We did not balk at the chance to get to D+. It was a clever marketing tool - which worked excellently for us. The fact that RCI did what was rumoured (grandfathering) makes it all the better IMHO.

Not chastising anyone for not properly strategizing this way. I realize we are fortunate to have the time and funds available to do what we did. We were within striking distance of D+ and were not going to miss out, if at all possible.

Same deal for me and D level in grabbing the 1/7 Majesty cruise (10 credits were in fact converted to 83--thanks Evaluator!)--either I got on a ship again before today or I wouldn't be D for years--a reasonable move with what was then a mere rumor, especially because there is no bad cruise!

Les

This statement implies that you only cruised with RCCL for the C&A status and perks? Didn't you enjoy the ships and the product that they offer?

Not the case at all. Ive enjoyed every cruise I've been on. But thats not the point. They specifically told me after I booked the JS that we would be Diamond afterward. Now they've changed it and we have no recourse.

I feel lied to, which I was. It's just a bad way to treat people.

Not the case at all. Ive enjoyed every cruise I've been on. But thats not the point. They specifically told me after I booked the JS that we would be Diamond afterward. Now they've changed it and we have no recourse.

I'm sure I would feel the same as you if I were in your situation. However, at least you didn't technically have anything you had already achieved taken away. I was very upset to have the CL taken away from Diamond members after enjoying it on previous cruises. But as upset as I was, and although I did book a non RCCL cruise as a result, ultimately I'm back.

While nothing said here is likely to make you feel better, I doubt if you were deliberately lied to.

It would amaze me to learn that the CSRs or C&A reps were given the details of the new program very much in advance and you were answered based on the program that was in force at the time of your question.

Unfortunately for you, RCL drew the line at those who were within one "Credit" of the next level rather than one cruise in a suite, as you were. You were caught in the trap of believing something on a public forum and what you wanted to hear. You chose when to book your "Tier-elevation cruise" and missed the cutoff. At least, you will have a good cruise in a suite.

While it is not good business to irritate your customers, they have to balance the cost of doing business with satisfying as many as possible. I know it is no comfort for you, but based on the poll going on, they have achieved a comfortably high percentage of satisfied customers.

From your sig. it appears you pick most of your cruises for other reasons rather than loyalty to RCI.......they really don't care about you,or me, we like variety.

My first cruise with RCI was in 1992......talk about changes thru the years...... and in this imperfect world we are "lied" to time and time again...what's new?

So I get the conversion, but how about upcoming cruises? I have a 16 day TA coming up and right now I was converted from 6 credits to 45 Points....will 16 points be added plus some...or just 16 days, making 61 points after my TA?

Actually, I don't think you or anyone else has been treated badly. I read your earlier posts and understand the feeling. But if it were me, my first thought would be to call or write to the C&A folks at Royal Caribbean and explain your situation. If you calmly explain that you booked your upcoming cruis in a JS with the promise that it would boost you to Diamond status, but the new rules will but you just a few points shy of Diamond, you may actually convince someone to adjust your account, so that you do, indeed, get the Diamond status you expected.

I'm sure, with such a change having just been announced, that they are probably flooded with questions right now, but I would think a rational appeal for a slight adjustment to your points might be addressed favorably. If you prefer to just be a martyr, though, have at it.

Archived