HOW RCI FIGURED NEW CREDITS...(Seriously)

EVALUATOR

Do Celebrity Elite members still get Diamond perks?

We were not quite Diamond so I expect in the conversion that will be our same status.. have to check it out..hope it is simpler than it sounds!!

My 16 cruise credits converted to 139 days ... I stayed in a few JS along the way and did a 12 night Panama canal cruise. I was diamond now I am still diamond and just about as far away from D+ as I was. There is no way that I can justify any complaints.

I cant seem to wrap my mind around last months diamonds in december promotion now ..... was it now kind of silly double cruise credits if you were already diamond? Unless you were already at 22 and trying to make it to D+ it was basically just a very clever marketing tool ..... well played RCCL

Actually it was quite beneficial for us. We were D+ at 42 at the beginning of December and got to 51 by Christmas. This number and its corresponding new # gives us the extra upgraded amenity (so we get three now), significant reduction in the single supplement and dinner with an officer (which is important to DW - not me, except for the expression "A Happy Wife is A Happy Life").

My 16 cruise credits converted to 139 days ... I stayed in a few JS along the way and did a 12 night Panama canal cruise. I was diamond now I am still diamond and just about as far away from D+ as I was. There is no way that I can justify any complaints.

I cant seem to wrap my mind around last months diamonds in december promotion now ..... was it now kind of silly double cruise credits if you were already diamond? Unless you were already at 22 and trying to make it to D+ it was basically just a very clever marketing tool ..... well played RCCL

We did exactly that. We were at 19 credits and went on B2b in December (one leg in a GS). This got us to D+ in 9 days. The rumours have been out there for some time. We did not balk at the chance to get to D+. It was a clever marketing tool - which worked excellently for us. The fact that RCI did what was rumoured (grandfathering) makes it all the better IMHO.

Not chastising anyone for not properly strategizing this way. I realize we are fortunate to have the time and funds available to do what we did. We were within striking distance of D+ and were not going to miss out, if at all possible.

Evaluator - I am impressed and humbled. My claim to fame was when I was laid up with a broken ankle and unable to move around, I sat down with a calculator and pen and wrote up the entire amortization calender for my mortgage (the days before computer programs). You have bested me.

I was hoping for this. I certainly hope Celebrity follows suit. It really isn't fair that a 4 night cruise gets the same credit as my 10 and 11 night ones. At least we are cruising and getting away from this frigid weather!!!

Theres nothing fair about changing the rules of the game while you're playing it. There should have been lead time to let people cancel or modify their cruise plans.

We upgraded to a suite for next months cruise partially to get the two points to make us Diamond. Now it won't happen since that cruise will get us 8 points under the new system (we have 69 credits). It stings even more that C&A clearly stated that we would be Diamond after it's completion.

Not only is it unfair, I think its borderline fraud. Akin to a bait and switch. Well, we took the bait, and now they've switched. They've got our money, which is apparently all they care about.

I understand your frustration. They did cover anyone who was ONE credit away from qualifying but where would you draw the line? I do think it would have been better to figure out how to grant the next level if ONE booked cruise would have elevated you. But they didn't and you fell into a relatively narrow crack of people that were more than one credit away but would have qualified with one more cruise.

But fraud is a bit strong for anything that is given as a bonus. They never advertised that booking another cruise before (or after) a program change would have any benefit. That was only speculation here at Cruise Critic. Only those posters who claimed it was a fact (and your belief in them) are to blame for your booking a cruise that will not get you what you thought it would (in addition to a nice cruise in a suite).

There was no way to make everyone happy. Of course that doesn't make you feel any better and I wish you luck in getting the cruise counted the way you thought it would be.

I can confirm this from my account. I was platinum, with 9 credits. Several of those credits were for 3 and 5 night cruises when I lived in Florida. I would have had around 50 points if you used new system. When I checked my current total, I had 76 points. I'm happy about it, since I just got off the cruise that would have pushed me to diamond and it still will :)

This is exactly my scenario, except I only would have had about 36 points but being 1 credit short of my diamond cruise I'm also @ 76:) After my 4-nighter I'll be Diamond. Worked out perfect for me.

What a bummer. I have sailed 30 days by the new rules (a 5 night, a 7 night and a 9 night in a suite, so equal to 18) but only had 4 credits. Therefore I'm only being given 29 credits, not the 30 I should have, in theory. :rolleyes: I guess they figure most 4 credit pax would have 29 nights or less (talk about a sweet deal if you'd done four 5 nighters!) and this is a bonus for them, not a rip off! :p LOL It's not a big deal - we will get there the next time, but it would have been great to be platinum for our next trip (next week!) I did email to ask C&A- although I suspect they will be bogged down for weeks with others asking similar questions!

Well we had 19 credits and fell into that magical 146 number however we actually have 172 nights as we have many nine and 12 nighters on explorer of the seas and in grand suites. so we had 26 credits just whisked away from the magical calculator. I sent a note to crown and anchor already with history and conversion. I imagine they will come back with instead of your 12 nighters in gs being worth 3 credits which are only now 12 x 2 instead of 12 x 3 as you used to get the extra credit for 12 night cruise and apparently that is no longer the case....we will have to be happy. I am not a happy camper. I would be diamond plus after our cruise in march on explorer under this conversion. So guess I will see what they come back with. Crazy. I do like the new benefits though. I already ordered my gift item for next cruise.

thanks to the OP for figuring out this conversion.

Well we had 19 credits and fell into that magical 146 number however we actually have 172 nights as we have many nine and 12 nighters on explorer of the seas and in grand suites. so we had 26 credits just whisked away from the magical calculator. I sent a note to crown and anchor already with history and conversion. I imagine they will come back with instead of your 12 nighters in gs being worth 3 credits which are only now 12 x 2 instead of 12 x 3 as you used to get the extra credit for 12 night cruise and apparently that is no longer the case....we will have to be happy. I am not a happy camper. I would be diamond plus after our cruise in march on explorer under this conversion. So guess I will see what they come back with. Crazy. I do like the new benefits though. I already ordered my gift item for next cruise.

Wait, do you have 172 actual cruise nights or is it 172, if you make a bogus assumption like a 12-nighter in a suite should be worth 36 nights?

Well we had 19 credits and fell into that magical 146 number however we actually have 172 nights as we have many nine and 12 nighters on explorer of the seas and in grand suites. so we had 26 credits just whisked away from the magical calculator.

OUCH! I was annoyed by one missing credit, I'd be angry beyond words if I was missing 26! Good luck getting them credited back!

What a bummer. I have sailed 30 days by the new rules (a 5 night, a 7 night and a 9 night in a suite, so equal to 18) but only had 4 credits. Therefore I'm only being given 29 credits, not the 30 I should have, in theory. :rolleyes: I guess they figure most 4 credit pax would have 29 nights or less (talk about a sweet deal if you'd done four 5 nighters!) and this is a bonus for them, not a rip off! :p LOL It's not a big deal - we will get there the next time, but it would have been great to be platinum for our next trip (next week!) I did email to ask C&A- although I suspect they will be bogged down for weeks with others asking similar questions!

I'm not following your logic. There was never (except on Cruise Critic) anything that said you "should have" any particular number. By my figuring, you are in exactly the same condition you were before. A cruise of any length will make you Platinum. But you are right about the sweet deal - even more so if someone had 4 3-night cruises. But still, both you and those with 4 really short cruises will make Platinum with one more cruise.

...we had 61 credits, now 440 points. If days at sea and cruisetour days were counted it would be 529:D:confused:!! Still D+, still appreciate the benefits!:) Just have to understand that there's no easy way to make everyone happy all of the time...they've worked hard at making sure that 'most' folks are happy! We've lost nothing in the transition other than 89 points...still a LONG way from Pinnacle!:eek:

Evaluator - I am impressed and humbled. My claim to fame was when I was laid up with a broken ankle and unable to move around, I sat down with a calculator and pen and wrote up the entire amortization calender for my mortgage (the days before computer programs). You have bested me.

I had to put SERIOUSLY in the title.

With some of the shhhhtufff I come up with, I'm sure I'm on a few ignore lists.:D

It was easier to figure out their system than to explain it.

I could have designed a similar system, in about two minutes, that was easy to understand, and easy to see how the conversion went.

As another poster said, those at the 7 cruise credit level seem to be those that are most negatively effected, hence the Emerald level.

Well we had 19 credits and fell into that magical 146 number however we actually have 172 nights as we have many nine and 12 nighters on explorer of the seas and in grand suites. so we had 26 credits just whisked away from the magical calculator.

But you still need the same amount of cruises to get to the next level (less, even). They gave you 23-19 = 4x 7=28. Subtract 174-28 = 146. So with the old way, you would need 4 credits to get to the next level (actually 5 credits, wasn't D+ 24 and above?) With the new way, you need 28 / 7 = 4 seven night cruises to get to the next level. If you do longer cruises in a suite, you will get there faster.

Wait, do you have 172 actual cruise nights or is it 172, if you make a bogus assumption like a 12-nighter in a suite should be worth 36 nights?

When you go thru and take my actual nights and then double the ones in suites according to their procedure it would be 160. I have one twelve nighter in a grand suite that I was given 3 credits for which if figuring that way is 172. All RCCL did was take my credits and multiply by 7. most of my history is 9 nighters on Explorer and many grand suites by the luck of great residency rate or senior citizen discount. I have a buddy on explorer right now probably hitting the roof as most of her cruises on 12 nights which she is on and in owners suite or junior suite. Big difference for her but she will still be grandfathered. So my next cruise either way is 18 more nights as I am on explorer in a suite. But I should be diamond plus after that and apparently that won't be the case unless they go back and adjust my nights. Just went thru crown and anchor in november making sure my cruise history was correct. I was told not to worry what it showed as long as my credits matched my records as they show more cruises on my history than what I took. Now if I could physically be on the jewel and liberty and explorer all on the same week I would hold them to that but I am not that kind of person. They never removed those phantom cruises but my credits are correct and the cruises i did take are there with correct nights and correct credits previously till today.

Do Celebrity Elite members still get Diamond perks?

We were not quite Diamond so I expect in the conversion that will be our same status.. have to check it out..hope it is simpler than it sounds!!

From RC's website: 'Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society® Platinum and Emerald levels will be equivalent to Select in Celebrity Cruise's Captain's Club and Explorer in Azamara Club Cruises' Le Club Voyage. Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society® Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club levels will be equivalent to Elite in Celebrity Cruise's Captain's Club and Discoverer in Azamara Club Cruises' Le Club Voyage.'

And thanks for your methodical evaluation, EVALUATOR!

Archived