Beware Smart Phone Users

judla

Just got into this thread...Recently got Droidx2 from Verizon. On My Alaska cruise I will turn off, GPS, Data, Data roaming, wifi BUT i just want to get and receive texts so I cannot put it in airplane mode. IS THAT CORRECT???WILL THIS DEFLECT HUGE CHARGES??:confused:

Just got into this thread...Recently got Droidx2 from Verizon. On My Alaska cruise I will turn off, GPS, Data, Data roaming, wifi BUT i just want to get and receive texts so I cannot put it in airplane mode. IS THAT CORRECT???WILL THIS DEFLECT HUGE CHARGES??:confused:

Some phones (not sure if the Droid does) allow you to go into airplane mode then turn on the "part" you are interested in like texting.

The other option is to only turn off airplane mode when in ports (American ports). The ship must legally turn off their tower when in port and this way you would only be getting regular tower service because you would be in the USA.

I had just gotten a Droid2 the day before a cruise. Turned the phone OFF at the button on top which I thought meant the phone was OFF (silly me). I wound up w/ an extra $130 or so on my bill. My son the IT guy (he has the Droid X) then told me I had to disable wifi, etc in my settings as well as make sure GPS/Navigation is turned off. I had no idea and no I didn't read the fine print nor did I read the booklet that came w/ it, as I had just gotten the phone less than 24 hours before we set sail. Next time I'll disable EVERYTHING, take out the battery and sim card and put them in a lead lined vault. Hope that works!:eek:

It's fortunate that the warnings to turn off your cell phone when getting on a plane aren't critical...because obviously many folks carry phones and have no clue how to actually turn them off....or in many cases, how to even use the phones.

In your case, bighairedtexan, you had your phone on (for data) and probably wi-fi on on the flight to the cruise.....both forbidden by the FAA (in most cases...unless your plane has wifi). Ignorance is no excuse, especially when the plane crashes.....

Isn't there two "off's"...(at least on iphone)...

one quick button push just turns screen off...

a longer holding of the button actually turns phone completely off and after that time it has NO contact with the outside world?

Isn't there two "off's"...(at least on iphone)...

one quick button push just turns screen off...

a longer holding of the button actually turns phone completely off and after that time it has NO contact with the outside world?

Your last statement is correct - alhtough you left out the part about sliding the on-screen switch to power off after the longer holding fo the button to confirm the power off.

Article from Consumerist:

Verizon Sends Software Updates To Man While He Helps Sick Grandma In Japan, Charges $600

Chris had to go to Japan recently to help out with his deathly ill grandmother. He brought his new Verizon iPhone4 with him. While he was there, Verizon pushed a series of updates to his phone, and that racked up over $600 in global roaming charges. When he called customer service, they told him the charges were valid and nothing could be done.

And let that be a takeaway for others when traveling overseas, you may want to turn off roaming and data to avoid racking up big charges without your knowledge.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/verizon-sends-software-updates-to-man-while-hes-saving-deathly-ill-grandma-in-japan-charges-600.html

I think what most people want to do is turn off their phones (when outside the US) but be able to use the WiFi capability on their Iphone. So, turn On Airplane Mode, this shuts off the phone capabilities of the phone and doesn't allow any incoming phone call to be grabbed by the ships roaming capabilities and be sent to your phone.

Also if you don't sign up for the ship's WiFi capability you can' do anything on or near teh ship because it will ask you to Login with you user id and password each time you restart your phone, you won't a userid and password to get connected in such a manner.

However, once ashore (anywhere in the world) search for a hot spot, i.e. a free or cheap WiFi bar, restaurant and you can read/send mail or check the Internet (your Iphone should ask if you want to be connected to the particular free WiFi site). Easy way to find such hot spots, merely follow the hordes of ship crew who will be walking off the ship with their computers to access the free hot spots, from their past visits they know every free WiFi spot around the world.

Of prime importance turn off airplane mode when back in the U.S.

SAS

I think what most people want to do is turn off their phones (when outside the US) but be able to use the WiFi capability on their Iphone. So, turn On Airplane Mode, this shuts off the phone capabilities of the phone and doesn't allow any incoming phone call to be grabbed by the ships roaming capabilities and be sent to your phone.

Also if you don't sign up for the ship's WiFi capability you can' do anything on or near teh ship because it will ask you to Login with you user id and password each time you restart your phone, you won't a userid and password to get connected in such a manner.

However, once ashore (anywhere in the world) search for a hot spot, i.e. a free or cheap WiFi bar, restaurant and you can read/send mail or check the Internet (your Iphone should ask if you want to be connected to the particular free WiFi site). Easy way to find such hot spots, merely follow the hordes of ship crew who will be walking off the ship with their computers to access the free hot spots, from their past visits they know every free WiFi spot around the world.

Of prime importance turn off airplane mode when back in the U.S.

SAS

If your phone is on airplane mode, can you still get text messages??

Thanks! :)

I leave the cell-phone at home. Call me old fashion for my 'young' years. I enjoy being disconnected. Remember when getting back to someone within the week was considered... prompt?

(And yes, I know... not everyone has a life that can accommodate electronic hibernation.)

Thats what I need to know and keep asking. Having Motorola Droid X2..dont need ANY data when on cruise but want to send and receive texts from my sons. I will call Verizon before I leave.

Thats what I need to know and keep asking. Having Motorola Droid X2..dont need ANY data when on cruise but want to send and receive texts from my sons. I will call Verizon before I leave.

Same as us..we want to be able to send and receive texts from our kids while we are cruising too. I did hear that sending texts with AT&T was .50 per outgoing, and free incoming (we have the unlimited plan). But not sure if I can receive them if the phone is in airplane mode...I am thinking not. I will be calling AT&T when our date gets closer.

Same as us..we want to be able to send and receive texts from our kids while we are cruising too. I did hear that sending texts with AT&T was .50 per outgoing, and free incoming (we have the unlimited plan). But not sure if I can receive them if the phone is in airplane mode...I am thinking not. I will be calling AT&T when our date gets closer.

No, you cannot send or receive text messages in Airplane Mode. When Airplane Mode is enabled, no phone, radio, wi-fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted or received. In Airplane Mode, you CAN turn wi-fi only back on, as another poster suggested.

We just turn our iPhones off (yes, REALLY turn them off, totally powering them down) and put them in the safe when we are out of the domestic network. (It was nice to have service in San Juan, St. Thomas, & St. Croix last cruise!). I have an iPod for music and audiobooks, and I use internet time on my laptop to do any connecting that is necessary.

Good luck to everyone as they try to figure everything out!

No. Airplane mode turns off all the phones radios. Once in airplane mode you can turn wi-fi and blue tooth back on but you can not turn on cellular service at all. Cellular service is required for phone calls, text messages and cellular data.

If all you want to do is disable data roaming then make sure it is switched off. In the iPhone there is a setting for this under:

Settings - General - Network. At this menu you'll see a slide switch for Data Roaming. If you make sure this is off you will not incur any international data roaming charges. Likewise you will not be able to send email, browse the internet or use any apps that need a data feed while you are out of your home territory unless you are connected to a local wi-fi network.

With the phone on and data roaming off you will be able to receive and send text messages and you will also be able to receive and send phone calls while you are out of the country.

In almost all areas, including on the ship, text messages are free for incoming messages if they would have been free (or no extra charge) if you were at home. Outgoing text messages are 50 cents each. Phone calls are at international rates. On ATT most international rates are in the range of $1.40 to $2.50/minuite and the ship rate is $2.50/minuite. Your carrier will have rate charts on the web site that show this. ATT's is at: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp (the drop down box has rates for international locations and cruise lines).

In order to use the international phone calls and text messages you need to make sure that you have international roaming enabled (not to be confused with data roaming) this is a setting on your service with ATT and not a phone setting. I think you can check this on their web site but the easiest way is to phone ATT and ask. They can turn this on for NO CHARGE. They will try and sell you a plan called "World Traveler" for an extra $5/month that offers a small discount on land based calls from overseas - it does not give any discount for use on the ship. I never take this myself.

There is one more "catch" - missed calls: On ATT any missed calls that ring through to the phone when you are out of the country and then go to voicemail are charged to you at the international rate even if you do not answer them - or at least this is what ATT rep told me. So it can be more expensive to not answer the phone than to answer it at times. However, if your phone is off so it does not ring through then you are not charged for the call. Also, I think the visual voice mail on the iPhone requires data - so you can't retrieve your message with this unless you use data services.

Personally: It is important for us to be available for calls from home. We leave my phone on and tell people at home to only call in an emergency. We tell them if they need us to text and if they do call not to bother leaving a message if we don't answer, but rather to text. We always end up with a handful of text messages and a few short calls to certain relatives. Usually runs $20 to $40 in extra cell phone costs - not cheap but part of the cost of travel for us.

I leave data roaming off and use the ship's wifi for any data I need. When I use the wifi I need to log into, and off of, the ship's system (someone in the computer room can show you how and set this up for you) and I keep wifi turned off when I'm not logged in.

When we went to Europe I purchased an international data plan (not cheap) for use on shore - it does not apply to use on the ship with ATT. This is for a much smaller allotment of data than you get at home. I made sure I knew how to track my usage so I did not go over my allotment. I also kept data roaming turned to off except when I specifically wanted to use the international data.

I hope this helps - if not let me know. I've looked into this quite a bit as far as ATT and the iPhone go.

No. Airplane mode turns off all the phones radios. Once in airplane mode you can turn wi-fi and blue tooth back on but you can not turn on cellular service at all. Cellular service is required for phone calls, text messages and cellular data.

If all you want to do is disable data roaming then make sure it is switched off. In the iPhone there is a setting for this under:

Settings - General - Network. At this menu you'll see a slide switch for Data Roaming. If you make sure this is off you will not incur any international data roaming charges. Likewise you will not be able to send email, browse the internet or use any apps that need a data feed while you are out of your home territory unless you are connected to a local wi-fi network.

With the phone on and data roaming off you will be able to receive and send text messages and you will also be able to receive and send phone calls while you are out of the country.

In almost all areas, including on the ship, text messages are free for incoming messages if they would have been free (or no extra charge) if you were at home. Outgoing text messages are 50 cents each. Phone calls are at international rates. On ATT most international rates are in the range of $1 to $1.50/minuite and the ship rate is $2.50/minuite. Your carrier will have rate charts on the web site that show this. ATT's is at: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp (the drop down box has rates for international locations and cruise lines).

In order to use the international phone calls and text messages you need to make sure that you have international roaming enabled (not to be confused with data roaming) this is a setting on your service with ATT and not a phone setting. I think you can check this on their web site but the easiest way is to phone ATT and ask. They can turn this on for NO CHARGE. They will try and sell you a plan called "World Traveler" for an extra $5/month that offers a small discount on land based calls from overseas - it does not give any discount for use on the ship. I never take this myself.

There is one more "catch" - missed calls: On ATT any missed calls that ring through to the phone when you are out of the country and then go to voicemail are charged to you at the international rate even if you do not answer them - or at least this is what ATT rep told me. So it can be more expensive to not answer the phone than to answer it at times. However, if your phone is off so it does not ring through then you are not charged for the call. Also, I think the visual voice mail on the iPhone requires data - so you can't retrieve your message with this unless you use data services.

Personally: It is important for us to be available for calls from home. We leave my phone on and tell people at home to only call in an emergency. We tell them if they need us to text and if they do call not to bother leaving a message if we don't answer, but rather to text. I leave data roaming off and use the ship's wifi for any data I need. When I use the wifi I need to log into, and off of, the ship's system (someone in the computer room can show you how and set this up for you) and I keep wifi turned off when I'm not logged in.

When we went to Europe I purchased an international data plan (not cheap) for us on shore - it does not apply to use on the ship with ATT. This is for a much smaller allotment of data than you get at home. I made sure I knew how to track my usage so I did not go over my allotment. I also kept data roaming turned to off except when I specifically wanted to use the international data.

I hope this helps - if not let me know. I've looked into this quite a bit as far as ATT and the iPhone go.

Thanks for the detailed information! :) If I have the data roaming off, I can still connect to a wifi network (could be free or for a fee) and use a browser and check my email? My data roaming is off all the time anyway. Glad I can still get and receive text messages without having the data roaming on.

Thanks again!

I was hoping I could use my ATT I-phone on a fall Med cruise for things like "maps", just to help us get around on shore. I also have apps like translator, currency exchanger, etc. that I want to utilize.

Isn't there a travel option for something like $25 for one month that enables one to use it for things like this?

I was hoping I could use my ATT I-phone on a fall Med cruise for things like "maps", just to help us get around on shore. I also have apps like translator, currency exchanger, etc. that I want to utilize.

Isn't there a travel option for something like $25 for one month that enables one to use it for things like this?

The translator and currency changer apps may well be useable with data roaming off and the phone in Airplane Mode, as they should not require sending or receiving new data. However, the maps function would definitely require either data or wi-fi.

There are international data plans, but they are quite limited as to the amount of data covered. Here is a quote from the at&t site:

You can travel the world with your iPhone

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your iPhone++ is indispensable to you. That's why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan. Any voice or data usage outside the domestic coverage area is considered as an International Roaming charge.

International roaming and data usage is not covered under your existing data plan.

With iPhone's many Internet-based applications, it's natural for users to use more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices.

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

What can you do to minimize your international data charges?

If you want to place calls but not use data:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF". By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position. Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.

To access audible voicemail when data roaming is "OFF", tap on

Phone>Voicemail (International roaming voice rates apply.)

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE– - Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

If you want to use data but not receive email automatically:

Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”– - Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to “OFF” and select option Fetch Manually

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE to download and manually check email: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants.

If you want to use data and track your usage while abroad:

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages:

20 MB package is $24.99 per month

50 MB package is $59.99 per month

100 MB package is $119.99 per month

200 MB package is $199.99 per month.

See att.com/worldpackages for details and international roaming rates. To add an international data package, call 1-800-331-0500.

Reset the usage tracker to zero– When you arrive overseas, access the usage tracker in the general settings menu and select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage while abroad.

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on

Settings>General>Usage>Reset Statistics

++When using your service for either voice or data outside the U.S., Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands, international roaming rates apply. Voice and data usage, including data usage incurred from delivery of Visual Voicemail messages, will be charged at international rates. For a complete list of countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal and for rates visit att.com/worldpackages. AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data usage.

Why does iPhone use more data than other devices?

Full HTML email: All data associated with emails are downloaded to iPhone, including full attachments and associated graphics

Automatic check for email: Customers who set their device to automatically check for email in 15-, 30-, or 60-minute intervals are incurring international data charges, even if no email is downloaded.

Enhanced Internet experience: The Safari browser supports full HTML browsing for a more enhanced experience, which uses significantly more data than a WAP browser on a standard handset or PDA.

Feature-rich applications: iPhone applications like Google Maps, YouTube, and others, depending on frequency of usage, can use a large amount of data

if you want maps you have two options.

1) buy an app that has downloaded maps and works off line - there are some of these in the app store for Europe that run $50 to 100 depending on the locations. Some of the currency computation programs work offline with the last available rate from online and some don't - you can try some.

2) but an international data package as discussed in the thread above. If you do this then be sure you discuss how ATT pro-rates monthly charges with an ATT rep and understand this as it is fairly confusing. Also be sure you understand how to switch data roaming on and off and how to monitor your usage with the built in tools. An ATT rep should be able to help you on this.

We bought a 200MB package for $199 and it worked out pretty good. We used it for general internet and email as well as maps and such as needed. We monitored the usage and adjusted how much we used the service as we went along and saw how much data we were using.

It's fortunate that the warnings to turn off your cell phone when getting on a plane aren't critical...because obviously many folks carry phones and have no clue how to actually turn them off....or in many cases, how to even use the phones.

In your case, bighairedtexan, you had your phone on (for data) and probably wi-fi on on the flight to the cruise.....both forbidden by the FAA (in most cases...unless your plane has wifi). Ignorance is no excuse, especially when the plane crashes.....

I had my phone in airplane mode while in the airplane. Hope that makes you feel more secure! :rolleyes: I appreciate your telling me that "ignorance is no excuse."

Upon arriving in port, I turned airplane mode off to make calls, then on board I turned my phone off (not in airplane and didn't disable wifi), put the phone in the safe and incurred charges.

And you'll be every so happy to know I didn't crash the plane on the way back either as I put the phone back into airplane mode (as I did my Nook) on the flight home. Sheeeeeeeeeesh. I hear about planes crashing on a daily basis because someone "ignorantly" put their phone in airplane mode. :eek: Oh wait, I've NEVER heard of that happening.

I am by no means an expert on Smart Phones as I just got my first one about a month ago (a Blackberry), but can't you just go into your settings and turn off the 3G, data and WiFi so that the phone does not have data capabilities? Then it is not downloading anything. Also, turn off any roaming capabilities. Then it is just a phone. I am just asking.

I will check with Verizon before we leave, but this seems easy enough.

That is exactly right, doing that turns it into an ordinary phone,

also if you are ashore and the place where you are at (Bar/Hotel /Cafe)

has free WiFi then switch on the wifi on the phone and you can connect for

free,just as if you had your lap top with you.

This allows you to check your e-mails and send receive.

Then when you are done switch it back off, it is usually the 3G and

mobile internet connections that cost.

If you have a Smart Phone from any carrier please contact them about charges while on the ship, or in a foreign country. They can run into the hundreds of dollars. I have Verizon and just went into their store and talked to them about usage and costs. They said because your phone is always downloading information, even though you have it turned off you will be charged for it. Things as simple as date, time, weather or longer things such as e-mail. They told me to turn the phone off and remove the battery as soon as the ship leaves an American port. If you go to an American territory (such as Puerto Rico) you can use it at no additional charge. My sister found a post by J & G posted on Jan 11, 2010 which goes into great detail about this. My advice is for you to check with your carrier first. I am by no means an expert in this, but also don't want a huge phone bill when I get home.

I have Verizon and all I do is put the phone in airplane mode. I am still able to use the phone as an alarm clock or as a camera. The problem with just turning the phone off is that when you turn it back on everything will down load and update.

I have Verizon and all I do is put the phone in airplane mode. I am still able to use the phone as an alarm clock or as a camera. The problem with just turning the phone off is that when you turn it back on everything will down load and update.

One note, that is only a problem if you turn it back on when you are outside of an area covered by your regular domestic service. As long as you wait until you are in such an area, downloading and updating will not cost any extra.

But it's a good point, if you plan to turn your phone on to use as a clock or camera or for music, or to search for wifi, while you are at sea or in a foreign port, it is safest to put it into Airplane Mode before you power it down.

Ok let me clear up some of the confusion in easy terms.

I have an iphone and have had the same sleepless nights about horrendous bills.

90% of the time my phone is turned off. While its off it is just a brick. While I am on holiday I may make 5 call max over 2 weeks. I relaxing, I don't care what is going on back home.

What I do ensure, and vodafone uk iphones are set to this by default, is turn the data roaming off. Infact I have never turned it on. Just to be safe I also turn off the location services on the iphone.

Alternatively I have a cheap basic spare phone and I can put the sim card in that and just take that away with me. (if you dont have one just buy a pay as you go phone from the same provider as your iphone and use that with your sim card).

Most importantly, when you took out a contract with your phone, you may have been asked to set a monthly spending cap. If not call your provider and tell them you want to cap at your choice of £. eg £250

This means that your phone is suspended if you hit your cap, until you pay some of your bill.

Also in May 2010 a law was passed in the UK telling air time providers that they HAD to notify their customer when they were at 75% of their capped allowance.

How do I know this?

i represented someone who was billed after a week in Greece for £860 of data usage. When I asked T-M.. for where and when they had advised my client that he was at 75%, they admitted they hadn't and this was in breach of their agreement. They refunded the full bill and credited a further £250 compensation.

With my iPhone, I turn off data roaming as soon as I'm about to board the ship. I've heard from reliable sources of someone who was in dock but on the ship and his phone was considered "roaming" even while in port. He was texting/talking/posting up a "wish you were here, we're about to leave the port" storm and had a might surprise when he returned after his cruise! :eek:

I recently learned on my Christmas trip to Costa Rica, that even if you turn data roaming off, if you can get a cell signal and someone calls you and leaves you just a voice message, it is still considered roaming even if you wait until you are back in the States to listen to the voicemail. I usually have a :confused: charge or two on my monthly statement but they're always less than $1 so I don't bother to find out why I was charged. However, when I returned from my Xmas trip, the charge was for $2.29 so I decided to call just for educational purposes. Turns out I was charged for a 20 sec voicemail. The AT&T rep kindly reversed the charge even tho I did not request it and now I know in the future to use the full-out "airplane mode". Hope this helps someone else. :rolleyes:

cheers,

:)

Whenever I am aboard ship I put my I phone into airplane mode. Slves the problem.

I had just gotten a Droid2 the day before a cruise. Turned the phone OFF at the button on top which I thought meant the phone was OFF (silly me). I wound up w/ an extra $130 or so on my bill. My son the IT guy (he has the Droid X) then told me I had to disable wifi, etc in my settings as well as make sure GPS/Navigation is turned off. I had no idea and no I didn't read the fine print nor did I read the booklet that came w/ it, as I had just gotten the phone less than 24 hours before we set sail. Next time I'll disable EVERYTHING, take out the battery and sim card and put them in a lead lined vault. Hope that works!:eek:

Hey Big Hair Tex! Cruisin-Family here and hope you have recovered from your unlimited drink package from the Solstice...Hehehe:D

For all, I have a great deal of experience on this subject and YES, make sure that you:

1. have an international phone plan selected or

2. ensure your phone is OFF while abroad

3. or your roaming or your data service

4. contact carrier customer care BEFORE traveling abroad and make sure you have your phone/account setup for the experience that you desire

This is a challenge because of all of the devices, networks, settings, roaming agreements, shipboard wireless networks, level of experience of each user...!

The carriers care a great deal about this subject because if you have unexpected charges and don't want to pay...they want you as a customer, happy of course, but are stuck with real charges from those carriers network's that you roamed on while traveling.

Your phone might be differ from the person next to you on your cruise, or the same phone might operate different because it is on another carrier's network.

If you have any questions about what you need to do to avoid SURPRISE (shock and awe) charges on your first bill after a cruise abroad, take a few minutes and speak to your company's customer care. Some carriers can temporarily place a block data roaming soc on your account than can be removed upon your return!

Be proactive, plan ahead and you will be fine! I'm been to the 4 corners of the planet without surprise charges and you can too!

Archived