Whither Hondorner?

StanandJim

I agree with Mura. Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. That goes to show us once again, Frank Del Rio and Binder are a class act. With the lengthy postings and shutterfly photos from David, it is a win win for all of us. Don, Betsy and the remaining guests, enjoy!!!

The minute that I leave the thread unattended (we had twenty inches of snow last night and duty called elsewhere), "The Donald" finally surfaces!

I'm so relieved that everything is copacetic and that he and Betsy are enjoying the Marina, that I'll just add my good wishes and wait for his next post.

Enjoy it, buddy, and we'll see you in Miami! :D

Don,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking your time to post. It seems some of us were worrying about you. I remember last April how disappointed I was that I did not get to finally meet you & Betsy after all our conversations on and off of CC. So glad you guys are okay and again thank you for taking the time to post. We missed 'hearing' from you! :D

Judy

Yes Ma'am, we're 40 miles North of you in Stamford CT.

Come up and see us, sometime :rolleyes:

Aha, Connecticut has been getting more of that white cold fluffy stuff than we have ...

We have plenty, thank you very much!

You have more than we do up here in cold Canada ;)

Feel free to keep it

Lyn

Can't believe the weather all of you are having. Be safe. It is a miserable 72 degrees here in Palm Desert. :)

Not to worry - your turn will come in the summer ;)

Isn't that the truth, but I think I would rather be hot than cold:D I was born and raised in Chicago and there were days that you just can't get warm enough. Off the topic Wripro, sorry.

It takes many minutes to catch up on these boards from Marina. Internet seems to better but off and on the past few days.l ofcourse, no charge gives much more patience.

The rough waters and all the damage (lamps, china, glass top tables, etc.) were the sad events. The new theater/lounge, the food, service, decor staff and activities are the happy events. We had dinner in LaReserve....wow. very personal and expertly presented.

more later. we are very pleased with almost everything so far; it has been an adventure.

Lynne

I wrote a nice, lengthy update, and then, anticipating that the server might shut down, I copied it to the clipboard, the submitted the reply. Sure enough, it crahsed, and by the time I signed back on, it had also erased the clipboard. I'm a little bummed, and I have some other things to check, so this is it for today. Sorry.

I wrote a nice, lengthy update, and then, anticipating that the server might shut down, I copied it to the clipboard, the submitted the reply. Sure enough, it crahsed, and by the time I signed back on, it had also erased the clipboard. I'm a little bummed, and I have some other things to check, so this is it for today. Sorry.

Don,

That doesn't sound very good. I know the frustration of having "lost" all that work. I wonder why they cannot get it right?

There are many others (Azamara, Silversea, to name just a few) that have great internet access and speed.

When I'm working on a reply for cruise critic that is going to be lengthy,

I usually do my "composing" in Word, and then cut and paste into the Reply box.

This does not work for the pictures, but is very reliable for text.

I do the same but I usually use my laptop (I do copy & paste - thus preserving the document, just in case). I wonder if Don has a laptop or is he using O's computers?

There are several situations. I have a netbook with me, but there are some wi-fi issues (you'd think it was a new ship, or something!) and I have only been able to log in from the stateroom, once, and that was late at night. The weather has been a major factor -- when the seas are very rough, it's almost impossible to stay locked on to the satellite, and thus the connection is broken, often. Finally, the new routers they were expecting in Tenerife did not arrive, so they are still working with a limnited number of IP addresses. Considering that almost all departments of the ship need internet access for official business, and the guest shi[p's computers get deserved priority, there are not many IP addresses left for the staterooms. In fact, while the suite laptops are aboard, they have not been delievered to many of the suites because of the difficulties.

So, I have resorted to usimng the ship's computers. But, due to some massive miscalculation (massive in my mind), there are no offline editing capabilities. No Word (there is a Word Viewer if someone is sent a Word document), not even Notebook text editing. The recommendation is to do a Ctrl C and copy text to the clipboard before posting, but if you get logged out, that's the same as a restart and the clipboard copy is lost.

I rarely show anything but tolerance and understanding, but I'm afraid I became as vociferous as I might ever do when I asked the computer tech (who works for MTN) why there is no offline editing capability. He, of course, is not responsible for the decision and could not answer, except to say that they are expecting a new interface that will be available after Feb 8, on the canal cruise. I'll be on that, so I can compare.

The end result is a not yet entirely reliable system, none of which appears to be the fault of Oceania. Part of it is the weather, and a large part of it (in my opinion) has to be borne by MTN, who proclaim themselves to be the "leader of communications at sea" or something like that. I doubt that MTN monitors cruise critic like Oceania does, but I bet something happens as quickly as possible considering that the ship is only in a port for a day or two.

The difficulties with the internet are the reason it's complimentary on this voyage.

Now that the weather has stablized for the most part (I only got logged off about 20 times today), I'll try again with my previous post, including my somewhat humerous instructions on how to take a shower on Marina.

To quickly answer a couple of questions, I have not been above the pool sun deck, as the weather has been too rough, too windy and too cold for this Floridian toclimb up to the sports deck. I also have no information of guesses about penthouse suites because that's above my pay grade.

Archived