Oasis Allure vs southern Caribbean

People that have taken the new ships, is it worth it even if your not a fan of the islands they go to? I can do a suite on the adventure or serenade for the same price as a balcony on the Oasis. I like the southern stops better but I'm curious, people who have gone on the new ships does the ship itself make the vacation?

In a word, yes. The Oasis was totally different for me than any other cruise I had been on. We were supposed to go to the Eastern Carib and ended up Western. Didn't even ruffle my feathers, because it was all about the ship for that cruise...there is so much to do on it, one week was not enough.

That being said, I missed the connection with the ocean. For lack of a better term, the views are "internal"...but fabulous nonetheless! So my next (7 day) cruise, we're checking out a Radiance class. Looking forward to being (and seeing) at sea! :)

My DH and I were on the Oasis last September and although we had been to 2 of the 3 ports previously it didn't matter because it was the ship herself that was the most important thing about that cruise. She is absolutely fabulous!

We are going to book the Allure for our 25th wedding anniversary next year and it will be the same itinerary as we did on the Oasis but I don't care. In fact, I don't think it would bother me if we didn't call at any ports at all. I just know that celebrating our anniversary on her will make the occasion so special.

We had the same consideration, but as you can see by my signature we chose the Southern Caribbean cruise instead of the Oasis. Our reason was that we have been wanting to do more interesting Caribbean ports and we have heard amazing reviews of this cruise and the ports. The Oasis is something we look forward to, but we will do it later when the prices are more reasonable. Right now the Oasis/Allure are extremely expensive because they are so new. So while we wait for the prices to level out, we choose to go on more interesting ports in the meantime. We might even do Alaska before Oasis/Allure, unless an amazing deal comes up.

We did book Disney's newest ship, the Dream, but that is because I booked it as soon as the itineraries came out, so we got a great deal - we do have a 5 year old child.

So in essence we always go for the ports first then the ship, unless the amazing ship is a great deal.

We LOVE the Southern Caribbean!! But, the Oasis / Allure is a MUST do! As for the price difference, when we do the very port intensive Southern Caribbean route that we love so much, it evens out about the same in $$. Yes, the Oasis was more (but not that much more for us cause we got a great deal) on the front end, but by the time we spend money in each of the Southern Caribbean ports, it evens out about the same to do the Oasis.

I don't know if we will ever do the Big Kahunas again, cause the DH loves all the Southern ports but even he was AMAZED by the Oasis. It really is something to see and experience....nothing like it. We have booked the Serenade of the Seas for our next cruise and look forward to those wonderful Southern Islands :)

I am not too familiar with RCCL, as I have only been on one RCCL cruise, which was on the Oasis. We booked this cruise to experience the ship. The ports (Eastern Caribbean) did not interest us; for us the ship was the destination.

We loved the ship, and booked the Allure for 2012. We enjoyed the "novelty" of a Boardwalk balcony, and could see a little of the diving pool shows from the balcony, as well as watch guests ziplining and riding the carousel (though it was sort've noisy on the balcony at times between shows and practices). We also loved Central Park, a quiet and serene place for a snack, drink, or meal with lovely plants to look at. There were quite a few fantastic shows; our favorites were the Ice Skating show and the Hairspray play.

We also liked that there were so many places to get complimentary food and drinks - Mondo Coffee Bar, Sorrento's Pizzeria, Cafe Promenade, Wipeout Cafe, Park Cafe, Donut Shop, Buffet, Solarium Bistro, etc. The solarium was also a quiet and serene place with small pools and beautiful views of the sea. Yes, the ship was the destination, and on our Allure cruise, we might not ever get off of the ship.

I think the ship itself is definitely worth the experience, even if you are not interested in the ports. And, I would add, that when DH and I cruise, it is always for the ports that we wish to experience. This was our first cruise that was just to experience the ship. We did miss the ocean, though, and our Allure cruise will be in an ocean-facing balcony.

Do you cruise for the ports, or the ship? Whichever your answer..pick the appropriate vacation! That's all it is...a vacation. If you want to spend it on the ship, you'll pay for

Oasis/Allure. If you're all about what the island's offer...then you'll go for the ports!

Up to you and your pocketbook!

Its funny you posted this question...I was booked on the Oasis for october, but had to cancel due to my work schedule. After careful consideration, we rebooked in september the SERENADE for the ports of the southern caribbean over the Oasis/Allure. We can get the same category cabin, AND include the cost of flying to San Juan, for about $150 LESS than the Oasis/Allure...

With that said, either one would have been a great decision but at the end of the day i'm one to make the most of my ports with excursions and enjoy going to places I haven't been. If you are one who doesn't venture off the ship or sticks around near where you dock, i would go for the boat over the ports...I don't think there is a right or wrong answer when you make your choice.

Yep, the ship IS the destination. Hope RCI will eventually find other ports. What do you think?

Other ports are already planning changes that will allow them to accommodate ships the size of Oasis and Allure, but for the present, the ships are definitely more important than the islands that they visit. You should also realize that most of the ports that those two ships visit are among the most popular ports for a majority of cruisers, especially first-timers. As long as they continue to fill the ships and they have other ships that can offer a wider variety of itineraries, don't expect any significant changes.

Cruising on Allure and Oasis are such very distinct and different experiences from cruising on any other cruise ship that it is difficult to compare the two experiences.:)

Depends on what your interests are. I've done southern Caribbean 3 times, all on Adventure. I've been on the Serenade once before for Alaska. When it came to choosing a cruise to take in December, I presented to my husband the ability of an inside room on Oasis for $749 pp or Serenade's southern caribbean route for something like $449. My husband was like, "how many times can you see the same type of islands?" Seeing that we aren't beach people, hubby rather try the new innovations, food, and entertainment of Oasis versus the same old routine. We'll probably get off at St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but the ship is the destination for us!

We're currently facing the same dilemma: Oasis, Freedom or Serenade. We are soooo tired of the Eastern/Western itineraries. We've sort of ruled out Freedom, since Liberty is rumored to be coming to NJ which is our homeport and we can sail on her next year. Airfare to San Juan is very high for the weekend we're considering, but the cruisefare on Serenade is lower, so it equals out.

We're also considering Explorer from NJ - the cruise is two days longer, and no air needed. But Caribbean Princess (which we sailed last year) is about $1000 cheaper (for 4 people) for an equivalent cruise.

We'll be on the Serenade in Feb too and are planning on booking Allure for 2012. I too think the cost will be about the same in the end because we have many excursions planned for the Serenade. When we book Allure we may get off once or twice - been there, done that. We will go on the Allure for the ship not the ports. It will probably be a one time thing for us. We like the smaller ships.

You need 2 weeks on those ships to do and eat all they have to offer so the ship is the prize no matter where it goes.

The only difference between the two right now is do you like Hairspray or Chicago?

Or do you like fried seafood or mexican food. I think every cruiser should book one of those ships while still new just for the experience of something really different.

Archived