Booking a Cruise While on a Cruise

Milwaukeeee

Just wondering how many of you cc folks book a cruise while on a cruise. You know how they always have "specials" to book another cruise at that time. Does it really pay? Are those deals better than anything you will find at a latter date on the net/agent?

We've been on about 7 cruises and have never done this and that's why I'm wondering if it is something we should do. We have been on many different lines (always looking for the best deal) and do have on or two favorites...but destination and price are the main qualifier. Thanks for any advice.

I'm taking a short cruise just to book several other cruises while on board. You generally get a two category upgrade and a cruise credit that cannot be combined with the stockholder credit. The OBC and the stockholder amounts are the same, except for a 14 day cruise where the OBC is $300 while the stockholder credit is $250.

I have booked a cruise on a cruise twice and got OBC. I have also done the Passages program. This involves paying $100 (sort of a pre-deposit) to hold open a future cruise reservation. When you book the cruise you still get the OBC even through you aren't still on the ship. The $100 is applied toward the rest of the deposit.

I just did that last Sat. before leaving Summit. Almost forgot and couldn't get in to see the Future Cruise rep on Fri. :eek: The cruise I just finished was booked with the Passages. It's great because you might not be sure what you want yet. It's good for 2 yrs. Don't know if other lines do this.

I've never gotten any major upgrades by booking on a cruise.

Just wondering how many of you cc folks book a cruise while on a cruise. You know how they always have "specials" to book another cruise at that time. Does it really pay? Are those deals better than anything you will find at a latter date on the net/agent?

We've been on about 7 cruises and have never done this and that's why I'm wondering if it is something we should do. We have been on many different lines (always looking for the best deal) and do have on or two favorites...but destination and price are the main qualifier. Thanks for any advice.

Yes, because you put down only $100. per person & usually get a 2 cat upgrade & OBC depending on length of cruise.

I booked my upcoming cruise while on my last Mercury cruise in April this year. It's a 12 night. We like inside so we got a cat upgrade to 9a. They also gave us a $200 OBC.

Then when I got home, I transferred it to a TA who gave us a $150 OBC from their agency not Celebrity so they are combinable. The price dropped and we received another $75 (net) OBC because we booked prior to the May rule change.

The new policy regarding price drops (basically, no refund or OBC if the price drops after final payment is made) could affect the decision, causing some to wait until much closer to sailing to book. The disadvantages to waiting include fewer cabins to choose from (with many of the preferred ones being gone), no bonus OBC, no 2 cat upgrade, likely much higher airfare for booking so close (unless you book the airfare early, then play the waiting game to see if fares go down), and, lastly, there's no guarantee fares will actually go down at all.

If there are any price drops before final payment is made, you can get a fare adjustment. If there should be a price drop after final payment is made, you do still have the option of taking an upgrade, if available, for the same or higher (but not as high as it had been) price.

As mentioned, in addition to the OBC given by X, you can transfer the booking to a TA (you have sixty days to do this) and glean any OBC or other incentives that the TA is offering. Unlike shareholder OBC previously mentioned, these OBCs are combinable.

We used to always make a future cruise deposit...not anymore since they've changed the rules.

First of all, as others have mentioned, you cannot combine the OBC with any other perk. Since we are shareholders, it's a wash. So no benefit there.

As far as the reduced deposit, you still have to come up with the rest of the deposit when you actually book the cruise, so I don't see a huge benefit there.

As a matter of fact, the last time we were on Celebrity (last April), the future cruise consultant shared with us that bookings are way down since they changed the rules and made the benefits non-combinable.

We do still do it on HAL since that $100/pp dep holds your reservation until final payment and they don't penalize you for other perks offered.

Jo-Ann

We used to always make a future cruise deposit...not anymore since they've changed the rules.

First of all, as others have mentioned, you cannot combine the OBC with any other perk. Since we are shareholders, it's a wash. So no benefit there.

As far as the reduced deposit, you still have to come up with the rest of the deposit when you actually book the cruise, so I don't see a huge benefit there.

As a matter of fact, the last time we were on Celebrity (last April), the future cruise consultant shared with us that bookings are way down since they changed the rules and made the benefits non-combinable.

We do still do it on HAL since that $100/pp dep holds your reservation until final payment and they don't penalize you for other perks offered.

Jo-Ann

Not a wash for 14 days where the stock holder credit is $250 and the OBC is $300.Upgrades are within the same cabin Category. You can get a C1 at a C3 price if a C1 is available.Can be quite a savings.

Not a wash for 14 days where the stock holder credit is $250 and the OBC is $300.Upgrades are within the same cabin Category. You can get a C1 at a C3 price if a C1 is available.Can be quite a savings.

True. Actually we're doing a 14 day TA and we originally did an onboard booking and received a $300 OBC. However, I later booked it with a TA (couldn't transfer the booking, rather long story). I lost the $300 OBC, but I am getting the $250 shareholder credit and the TA is offering an add'l $50 OBC, so no loss.

I should have stipulated that for the shorter cruises, it's a wash.

I don't remember anything about the upgrades...we've never gotten any. Is this something new? We're going to book RCCL on our next X cruise and looking at oceanviews. Can we get an upgrade in that class? Do they usually mention it or is it something we need to ask about? Thanks

We booked our upcoming Equinox while on RCI last year. We received $200 OBC and booked a C2. We also did not receive an upgrade. Is it something you have to remind them of while booking?

As time went on, we transferred our cruise to a TA, got AQ for $150 less per person plus an additional $350 OBC. Sweet.

So all in all, I am not complaining!

But we are going to book our 2012 cruise while on Equinox and just wanted to understand the upgrade policy.

We booked our upcoming Equinox while on RCI last year. We received $200 OBC and booked a C2. We also did not receive an upgrade. Is it something you have to remind them of while booking?

As time went on, we transferred our cruise to a TA, got AQ for $150 less per person plus an additional $350 OBC. Sweet.

So all in all, I am not complaining!

But we are going to book our 2012 cruise while on Equinox and just wanted to understand the upgrade policy.

The upgrade isn't that big a deal; it's always within the same category (i.e., inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview, etc.). They don't let you go from oceanview to balcony.

That said, if you change your mind and switch the cruise that you booked onboard to another cruise, you lose that upgrade.

The upgrade isn't that big a deal; it's always within the same category (i.e., inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview, etc.). They don't let you go from oceanview to balcony.

That said, if you change your mind and switch the cruise that you booked onboard to another cruise, you lose that upgrade.

So if we booked a C2 (which we did), should they have offered a C1? Do you have to ask for it?

So if we booked a C2 (which we did), should they have offered a C1? Do you have to ask for it?

I actually think the upgrade depends on the particular sailing. I'm not sure if they would upgrade C2 to C1. But if I were you, I would call Celebrity and look into it.

I actually think the upgrade depends on the particular sailing. I'm not sure if they would upgrade C2 to C1. But if I were you, I would call Celebrity and look into it.

Nope, too late for this cruise, besides, we got AQ for $150.00 pp less!

Just a question for our future booking. I will ask when we book if it is available. Thanks.

We are from the UK and always book when we are on board. We get a 2 category upgrade I think beacuse we are elite level in the captains club.

Our upcoming cruise in 4 days :D we are in an aft category C1 cabin but only paid for a C3. This saved us £800 ($1200) and my TA said that there is no way he could get it cheaper. With the $300 OBC (14 Nights) we are $1500 up in the deal :)

Even if the price dropped I doubt it would anywhere near the $1500 as we saved.

We did book in Sept 2009 for a Jan 2011 cruise which meant we could get the aft cabin. Being fron the UK you have to pay your deposit on board, we don't get the $100 option :confused:

We again booked on board in Sept 2010 for Sept 2011 and Feb 2012 cruises again we have made simular savings.

Jo-Ann

Not true. No additional deposit due at time of booking. I used my Passages Certificate for upcoming cruise, and even though I added 3 more people (Cert. was for 2 and we have a FV for total of 5 people), only had to pay additional $300 ($100 a piece for 3 people, already paid $100 pp for Certificate). Balance due on final payment date.

Sure is nice to give them $500 vs $1250! Plus we got $100 OBC.

First of all, as others have mentioned, you cannot combine the OBC with any other perk. Since we are shareholders, it's a wash.

Jo-Ann

I'm not familiar with several commenters using the word "sharholders". What is that? I picture someone who has stock in that cruise line but I don' think thats what it means. Help please.

I'm not familiar with several commenters using the word "sharholders". What is that? I picture someone who has stock in that cruise line but I don' think thats what it means. Help please.

That's exactly what it means.

Archived