Cruise Directors

MarylandBob

I called them before a cruise on the Prinsendam last year and they confirm Thom Faulkner would be on the ship. He is fabulous.

Perhaps we need to start a thread on CC to vote in our favorite cruise directors. I am glad someone else has found one they like.

Miriam

Two of my favorites:

Linda Minnikin

J.T. Watters

I don't know Linda, but think J.T. is the consummate cruise director! He was with us on our Westerdam transatlantic last spring, and was truly a pleasure to sail with.

Does anyone know if HAL lists their cruise director assignments anywhere? We've sailed with Shane Michaels a few times and he is the best. It would be nice to see him again.

Cruise Directors are the most annoying people on the ship..

You know, you guys could start a thread where people could list the CD, HD, F&BD, etc of each ship as they disembark. I know there's a thread on the NCL board that does this and people contribute when they get back from a cruise or as they get info from crew emails. Just a thought.

Cruise Directors are the most annoying people on the ship..

You know, until J.T. I would have agreed with you. And then on my most recent cruise on the Amsterdam, it was back the same-old with Jamie representing the annoying CD stereotype.

But J.T. actually did his job well. His announcements were neither cloying nor repetitive. He was actively engaged in activities all over the ship. He seemed genuinely glad to work with both guests and his fellow staff. In short, he added significant value to the cruise and made me finally realize what a CD could do to really enhance the overall experience.

You know, until J.T. I would have agreed with you. And then on my most recent cruise on the Amsterdam, it was back the same-old with Jamie representing the annoying CD stereotype.

But J.T. actually did his job well. His announcements were neither cloying nor repetitive. He was actively engaged in activities all over the ship. He seemed genuinely glad to work with both guests and his fellow staff. In short, he added significant value to the cruise and made me finally realize what a CD could do to really enhance the overall experience.

I agree with this as well. We have been so annoyed with most CDs, that it's just awful to hear all those announcements, and the smarmy way they are. We had JT on the OOsterdam, and he was at every Trivia game, and he was awesome! Seemed really genuine, and not full of himself, and not going through the motions. I also loved that we weren't bombarded with announcements. There's a daily "Explorer", so there's no need for the gazillion announcements that the other CDs do. My husband, who dreads the CDs, actually liked this guy. And that says something. J.T. job well done. Please don't change.

i've only encountered one CD I was impressed with, but on second thought, I may just have been in love with his British accent. I can still hear it now, "This is Neil Chandler aboard your Grand Princess...." We've actually had more fun with hotel directors and food & bev directors, and a concierge or two.

Matt was our cruise director recently on the Eurodam. Best cruise director I've ever sailed with. He was energetic without being over the top. And he didn't have that smarmy, used car salesman pitch. I'd sail with him again anytime. He's great at his job.

Archived