linking airline tickets/ codeshare airllines

Clairescurtains

We bought tickets on Continental from EWR to BCN and in a separate transaction bought tickets for USAir from BHM to CLT to EWR. This is on 10/14. We have lots of time between each flight but wonder about trying to link the two separate tickets now.

Since we are on USairways first is that the one I should contact first or Continental? I found out too late that they are codeshare partners. The Continental ticket was bought through Airfare dot com but appears to be paid and ticketed per the Continental website. The USairways ticket was bought directly from them online. Is there any chance of linking these after the tickets have been bought?

It would be nice to not have to retrieve our luggage and recheck at EWR if the tickets were merged but it would also be nice to see our luggage and know it was at least there in New York not still in B'ham or Charlotte.

I tried a search but didn't get anywhere helpful with the words I used.

Thanks for any of your helpful advice.

Trying to merge the tickets will undoubtedly trigger a change fee with one or both airlines; each ticket is on its own "PNR" - reservation record, with its own tariff rules regarding changes or other alterations.

However, your luggage should definitely not be a problem, provided you show both tickets to the agent when you check in. The airlines have interline baggage agreements that will allow one bag tag to be used for all segments. Make sure when you check in that you see "BCN" as the final destination and you're good to go.

If it is only the luggage... Gardyloo is right. Just present both tickets at check-in and see if they will label through. Mostly they do. US and CO are likely to have an interline agreement.

It seems like a long route for a suitcase though, BHM-CLT-EWR-BCN. Not sure if I wouldn't want to pick it up somewhere along the way to make sure it is still travelling with you.

I actually thought about the "peace of mind" factor of seeing our luggage in EWR before heading to BCN.:)

We are both in pretty good shape so picking up and rechecking the luggage might be the best bet specially since there will not be an additional baggage charge for the overseas flight.

I may talk to the check in folks to see what they say when we get to the airport. Being very cautious, we always get there plenty early so would have time for a discussion.;)

Thanks again for your help.:D

I actually thought about the "peace of mind" factor of seeing our luggage in EWR before heading to BCN.
And what are you going to do if a bag doesn't reach EWR for some reason?

You'd have to hang around until the very last bag has been delivered off your first flight. Then you'd have to hang around more trying to see whether the airline would be prepared to send it on to BCN when it finally arrives at EWR, when it never knew anything before about a EWR-BCN flight. Then you'd have to give the airline forwarding details. And only then would you be free to go to catch your EWR-BCN flight.

On the other hand, if the bag is tagged CLT-EWR-BCN and it fails to reach EWR for some reason, it's likely still to be in CLT. The airline would already know that it's got to get to BCN. There are dozens of alternative routes to get it to BCN, and it could already be on its way by one of those alternatives before you even arrive at EWR.

IMHO, you'd be better off doing this. Have your bags through-tagged. Before you board your EWR-BCN flight, take the bag tags to a gate agent and ask whether they've received the bag for that flight. You may be able to get an answer at that point, particularly if you have a long connection time.

Is there any chance of linking these after the tickets have been bought?
If you encounter a nice agent at each airline, they might be prepared to insert an "information segment" into your booking to note the flight to which (or from which) you're transferring. This is not formal linking, which is problematic for the reasons already given. But if the airlines are prepared to do this, it means that the departure control and gate agents on the day may get some advance warning of what problems you might yet have because of a glitch at a particular point in time, or why you're not where they expect you to be at a particular time.

If you encounter a nice agent at each airline, they might be prepared to insert an "information segment" into your booking to note the flight to which (or from which) you're transferring. This is not formal linking, which is problematic for the reasons already given. But if the airlines are prepared to do this, it means that the departure control and gate agents on the day may get some advance warning of what problems you might yet have because of a glitch at a particular point in time, or why you're not where they expect you to be at a particular time.

Didn't know about those possibilities. We will check and see what is possible when we check in.

It would be cool to send the bags all the way through and check on them when we are at EWR. We did build in lots of extra time on our connections if we need it. If not then we can just relax and wait for our overseas flight.

And what are you going to do if a bag doesn't reach EWR for some reason?

You'd have to hang around until the very last bag has been delivered off your first flight. Then you'd have to hang around more trying to see whether the airline would be prepared to send it on to BCN when it finally arrives at EWR, when it never knew anything before about a EWR-BCN flight. Then you'd have to give the airline forwarding details. And only then would you be free to go to catch your EWR-BCN flight.

On the other hand, if the bag is tagged CLT-EWR-BCN and it fails to reach EWR for some reason, it's likely still to be in CLT. The airline would already know that it's got to get to BCN. There are dozens of alternative routes to get it to BCN, and it could already be on its way by one of those alternatives before you even arrive at EWR.

IMHO, you'd be better off doing this. Have your bags through-tagged. Before you board your EWR-BCN flight, take the bag tags to a gate agent and ask whether they've received the bag for that flight. You may be able to get an answer at that point, particularly if you have a long connection time.

I totally agree, not to mention if you only check them to EWR, you will need to schlep the luggage between terminals on the Air Train. Do yourself a huge favor and have them tagged to BCN.

Frugaltraveler is right, check the bags straight thru. US Air and CO are both in the Star Alliance so they have to have an interline agreement and US Air uses Terminal A and Continental's mainline flights use Terminal C. You will have enough to do just getting out of A, over to C and going thru security again. CO has their own shuttle bus between terminals that avoids the re-screening hassle but that shuttle leaves from a different pod in A than US Air uses so you have to go out of the "secure zone" regradless

Actually, if it's tagged for the entire route from the beginning (including the transatlantic to BCN), wouldn't the international bag fees (often waived) apply?

That would be great if the international fee [none, I think] applies. Since we are leaving home on USAirways I thought that would be the bag fee that would apply.:confused: We would have to pay that if we didn't get them routed straight through to BCN so if we can it would save a few $$$:), always a good thing.

We will give it a try and see if the BHM agent will send them all the way through. I will try to remember to come back here and let you all know the results. Since this is not until Oct. I may or may not remember.:o

Thanks again to all of you.

Actually, if it's tagged for the entire route from the beginning (including the transatlantic to BCN), wouldn't the international bag fees (often waived) apply?

Since these are two totally separate tickets on two different airlines, it's possible that domestic bag fees will apply on the US Air segments and additional intl bag fees would apply for the Continental flight ex EWR.

Since these are two totally separate tickets on two different airlines, it's possible that domestic bag fees will apply on the US Air segments and additional intl bag fees would apply for the Continental flight ex EWR.

Continental does not charge for the first bag on most international flights so that is not an issue for us going to BCN from EWR.

When we booked with USAir we knew we would be paying for our bags but if the Continental international rules are what apply, that will be a bonus.:)

FYI - it doesn't matter if the airlines belong to the same alliance or not to check in bags. You can check American to Delta to United, etc. - all different "alliances." Exceptions are there like Southwest, Air Tran, but generally you can check interline bags regardless of alliance.

FYI - it doesn't matter if the airlines belong to the same alliance or not to check in bags. You can check American to Delta to United, etc. - all different "alliances." Exceptions are there like Southwest, Air Tran, but generally you can check interline bags regardless of alliance.
There are far more exceptions than that now, if you are making your "connection" on two separate tickets.

Many airlines now will not through-check on two tickets unless the onward flight is on the same alliance. And there are some that simply will not through-check on two tickets, regardless of onward airline - including at least two that I know of that will not even online if two tickets are involved. But if you are making a true connection (ie on one ticket), then of course they will do a standard IATA through-check.

• 9 months later...
We bought tickets on Continental from EWR to BCN and in a separate transaction bought tickets for USAir from BHM to CLT to EWR. This is on 10/14. We have lots of time between each flight but wonder about trying to link the two separate tickets now.

I wanted to let everyone know how this turned out.

When we arrived at BHM airport we checked in at USAirways desk and they not only routed our bags through to BCN they routed us all the way through as well and we did not have to pick up our bags to be re-screened. The ticket agent put a special handling tag on our suitcases and they were almost the first on the carousel at the Barcelona airport.

This saved us the $50 fee for our bags since routing us all the way to BCN made it an international flight with the resultant free luggage.:D

I have been pomdering the same thing but we fly on American from our regional airport on Wed evening and are spending the nite at DFW's Hyatt since we have an early flight out on Alaska - I know they are codeshare since I used my AA FF# but my question would be since it will be nearly 12 hours from one flight until the next would this even be possible?:confused:

I have been pomdering the same thing but we fly on American from our regional airport on Wed evening and are spending the nite at DFW's Hyatt since we have an early flight out on Alaska - I know they are codeshare since I used my AA FF# but my question would be since it will be nearly 12 hours from one flight until the next would this even be possible?:confused:

The limit on American for checking through is a 12 hour layover - if it is on one ticket. However, I'm not certain they'd be willing to check through on separate tickets with that long of a layover, it always seems to shock the AA agents when the computer allows them to check bags for the overnight layover booked on one ticket. Doesn't hurt to ask though. Are you staying at the Hyatt or the Grand Hyatt? IMO it's better to do the Grand Hyatt as it is in Terminal D versus having to wait for the shuttle to the Hyatt.

Wrp96 - we are staying at the Grand Hyatt. I figured that it would not be an option. We don't mind collecting our bags catching the shuttle to the hotel and then having it drop us off in the morning at Terminal E, I believe that is Alaskas terminal. I figure security at that terminal will have shorter lines as there seem to be less flights out of there. We usually fly American but 1st class to Hawaii would have been around $4500 pp and I got both of us 1st on Alaska for $3200. I know it has a layover in Seattle but the price difference will be extra spending money!!

Thank you for your reply and I may just ask at the regional airport.

Definitely ask, but plan that it might not be possible. Enjoy Hawaii and the Grand Hyatt. Note, if they can check your bags all the way through, security at Terminal D in the am is extremely light, so worth it to clear security there and then take the train over to E, rather than going over to E to go through security.

Surprised you haven't called the airlines yet. The answer could vary by airline. Call US Airways and ask. I've run into similar situations, but not exactly the same so I won't go into full details. You indicate you have lots of time between flights at EWR, right? That would be my main concnern: if you missed the Continental flight, Continental would, I believe, be under no obligation to put you on a later flight at no charge. US Airways's obligation is to get you to EWR.

Surprised you haven't called the airlines yet. The answer could vary by airline. Call US Airways and ask. I've run into similar situations, but not exactly the same so I won't go into full details. You indicate you have lots of time between flights at EWR, right? That would be my main concnern: if you missed the Continental flight, Continental would, I believe, be under no obligation to put you on a later flight at no charge. US Airways's obligation is to get you to EWR.

The OP's flight was in October. She posted how it turned out:

I wanted to let everyone know how this turned out.

When we arrived at BHM airport we checked in at USAirways desk and they not only routed our bags through to BCN they routed us all the way through as well and we did not have to pick up our bags to be re-screened. The ticket agent put a special handling tag on our suitcases and they were almost the first on the carousel at the Barcelona airport.

This saved us the $50 fee for our bags since routing us all the way to BCN made it an international flight with the resultant free luggage.

Archived