La Reserve on Marina

Dutch Explorers

We enjoyed LaReserve completely. The first two nights were booked before we boarded and we went to the conceirge as had been instructed by the O rep, DJ. Another two evenings were opened up with a third possible if there was enough request.

We were told the $75.00 fee was for the wine only, and not the food, the food being separate and no charge.

We were all able to keep the menu and learned there is an alternate menu. I don't believe there is a third, yet, but if La Reserve is a hit there may be more available.

There have also been wine tastings on board, today it is a Premium tasting at $50.00 pp. We will not attend that!

Somewhere else on these boards I wrote a bit more of a description of our evening, how much personal assistance, how friendly the staff and fellow diners.

I highly recommend La Reserve.

Thanks for posting the info. We were able to book on the Feb 26th sailing. Can't wait. We had to pay right now and the gratuity was added in.

We were told the $75.00 fee was for the wine only, and not the food, the food being separate and no charge.

As we do not drink, would we be able to book La Reserve at no (or reduced) fee?

I know it was pointed out here before - "why would you do wine pairing if you don't drink"?

Well, if the food is very good (and different from the other venues), we would enjoy it on its own merit, especially as we will be on 3 segments B2B and the MDR menu is likely to repeat. It would be a nice change and a different experience.

However, I suspect the answer will be "no", as that may set a dangerous precedent.

JimandStan,

The reason one might attend is to accompany someone who does drink.

Paul,

I think you are right. The attraction of La Reserve is the food and wine pairing. I guess I'm answering my own previous question and will stay away.

We enjoyed LaReserve completely. The first two nights were booked before we boarded and we went to the conceirge as had been instructed by the O rep, DJ. Another two evenings were opened up with a third possible if there was enough request.

We were all able to keep the menu and learned there is an alternate menu. I don't believe there is a third, yet, but if La Reserve is a hit there may be more available.

There have also been wine tastings on board, today it is a Premium tasting at $50.00 pp. We will not attend that!

Somewhere else on these boards I wrote a bit more of a description of our evening, how much personal assistance, how friendly the staff and fellow diners.

Thanks for sharing this about additional nights opening after on board. That gives me hope for being able to plan my husband's surprise birthday celebration.

As lyndenfa (hi Lynne!) points out, there are two menus that alternate nightly

There is one seating per night.

One person at our table has food allgeries and the chefs accomadted that. Advanced noticed is obviuosly required and depending onthe allergery restrictions it may not be practical.

Food / wine was excellent.

The room is called 'La Reserve by Wine Spectator'. The menu spends time describing the wine with each dish more than the (excllent) food. While I am sure you could join somone and not drink the wine, I personally would expect to pay the fee.

For the Maiden Voyage only two seatings were available pre-cruise the same as being reported for other sailings We managed to book one of those. However many more nights were added and could be booked on baord.

We enjoyed LaReserve completely. ...

I only found one other sentence about La Reserve in your posts. When you get the time, I really would appreciate it if you would provide a bit more detail about the La Reserve experience you enjoyed.

Thanks,

Pam

PS. Thanks for more info, YoHoHo. About how long does seven courses plus tastings take? I ask because I found out (thanks, yorkiemom) that the only two nights offered on our cruise are when we are in St. Petersburg, and we all will be exhausted from our very long and active days there!

I only found one other sentence about La Reserve in your posts. When you get the time, I really would appreciate it if you would provide a bit more detail about the La Reserve experience you enjoyed.

Thanks,

Pam

PS. Thanks for more info, YoHoHo. About how long does seven courses plus tastings take? I ask because I found out (thanks, yorkiemom) that the only two nights offered on our cruise are when we are in St. Petersburg, and we all will be exhausted from our very long and active days there!

Pam,

When we made our reservations, we asked if we would be able to change to another night IF they added any more nights and they said we could.

We have never done a wine pairing before and thought this would be a perfect opportunity. After a tiring day of touring, we will probably enjoy the wine even more!! ;)

Judy

Thanks,

Pam

There was one seating for 7:00 pm. Our table was last to leave at 10 pm! Other other two tables did leave earlier but we stayed longer enjoying conversation with our tablemates. In retrospect I am wondering how they timed the tables so that we were all on the same course at the same time. I hope our table did not keep others waiting.

I think the others left around 9:30 and if they wanted to see the show in Marina Lounge would have time as they usually started at 9:45.

Bear in mind our sailing only had two nights available for La Reserve as well but more were added later when on-board. Perhaps the same will happen on your cruise.

There was one seating for 7:00 pm. Our table was last to leave at 10 pm! Other other two tables did leave earlier but we stayed longer enjoying conversation with our tablemates. In retrospect I am wondering how they timed the tables so that we were all on the same course at the same time. I hope our table did not keep others waiting.

I think the others left around 9:30 and if they wanted to see the show in Marina Lounge would have time as they usually started at 9:45.

Bear in mind our sailing only had two nights available for La Reserve as well but more were added later when on-board. Perhaps the same will happen on your cruise.

YoHoHo,

Thank you for the info. What was the food like?

Was it the same menu that was offered in the GDR?

Thanks!

Judy

No, it was a set menu to pair with the wine. Actually two menus for alternating nights. All special dishes - started with a scallop cooked (and presented) on a hot stone followed by an amazing foie gras. I'll see if I can get a fuller description of our menu for you. It was an excellent evening.

No, it was a set menu to pair with the wine. Actually two menus for alternating nights. All special dishes - started with a scallop cooked (and presented) on a hot stone followed by an amazing foie gras. I'll see if I can get a fuller description of our menu for you. It was an excellent evening.

That would be great, if you can! Someone on our roll call posted today about the possibility (if they add another night) of having our CC Roll Call group get together there. We need to find out who to ask about possibly doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

We had the second menu with the salmon and chateaubriand. It was phenomenal. The service is outstanding. Both the chef and the sommelier came out between each course to explain the offerings and discuss the reasons for the choice of wine. We must have been one of the extra added evenings, because we had only 12, not 24. It lasted at least 3 hours. It is the highlight of your evening -- making the show would be incidental.

However, it would really be enjoyed by someone with a more sophisticated palate than mine. The wines are so much a part of the meal that I imagine that anyone who does not drink wine would feel very awkward.

The food is so good in the other venues that I think one could dine as well in other places; it's the pairing with the wine that makes it special.

The 72 hour braised short ribs were also offered at least once in the Grand Dining Room. They are the tastiest I have ever tried.

There are large, glass sliding doors between the narrow restaurant and the deck just outside, but I never saw them open. There are 7 tables on the outer deck seating 4 each, so 28 people could be accommodated there. I never saw them being used as anything but a quiet reading area.

We had the second menu with the salmon and chateaubriand. It was phenomenal. The service is outstanding. Both the chef and the sommelier came out between each course to explain the offerings and discuss the reasons for the choice of wine. We must have been one of the extra added evenings, because we had only 12, not 24. It lasted at least 3 hours. It is the highlight of your evening -- making the show would be incidental.

However, it would really be enjoyed by someone with a more sophisticated palate than mine. The wines are so much a part of the meal that I imagine that anyone who does not drink wine would feel very awkward.

The food is so good in the other venues that I think one could dine as well in other places; it's the pairing with the wine that makes it special.

The 72 hour braised short ribs were also offered at least once in the Grand Dining Room. They are the tastiest I have ever tried.

There are large, glass sliding doors between the narrow restaurant and the deck just outside, but I never saw them open. There are 7 tables on the outer deck seating 4 each, so 28 people could be accommodated there. I never saw them being used as anything but a quiet reading area.

Don,

Thank you for sharing your experience in La Reserve. The four of us are looking forward to our evening there. I liked the part where you said, "It is the highlight of your evening---making the show would be incidental." I probably will need help getting back to the room after all the wonderful wine!:D

Thanks again for taking the time to share your

Marina experiences with us!

Judy

Archived