Is the Radiance of the Seas "cursed"?

ryano

Yes, there were a few isolated plumbing problems. I can only speak directly about our deck (9). We had problems with our shower drain and didn't report it the first night it flooded the bathroom (SHOULD HAVE!)... they sent a repairman immediately to fix it when we reported it--problem fixed. Another room in the hallway (near the Library) did flood and a wetvac was needed to dry the hallway carpet.

I had the same problem with the shower drain on my Deck 8 cabin. But, as with you, they fixed the drain right away when I reported it, and I had no further trouble.

i have just had the most awful feeling in the pit of stomach about this trip-with no explanation as to why. Like I have been waiting for something to happen. Then the flooding issue came up - fine -we will chance it. No biggie. Then the 'sick ship' issue came up. Ugh. Ok. Now this. Better seriously readjust my attitude...we could be in for a doozy!

vizgal come on over to our roll call for the 2-5-11 sailing on Radiance

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195358&page=8

While I certainly sympathize with all those sailing in the weeks ahead, we are supposed to be boarding tomorrow!:eek: Well, like another poster said earlier, not a dang thing we can do about it at this point. But, like someone else mentioned, I have a master's degree in worrywart so I shall put all that education to good use the next twelve hours. :o

Nothing strange here. These ships really get flung around as they travel the seas. The ship is getting older whether we like it or not. How does your car run after 10 year? That ship has a LOT more miles than any 10 year old car.

I second others.... this is one beautiful ship.

We did have two minor leaks behind the toilet in our grand suite in November and received a voucher (both of us) for 25 percent off on a future cruise - so we have nothing to complain about - they fixed the leak right away so we are very appreciate of their quickness and the way they handled things - nothing to complain about - keep up the positive thoughts for tomorrow - I am:)

It might be the azipods that are causing problems on Radiance not the engines. This is something that was going to be addressed when she goes into dry dock on May 20th.

So the ROS is being drydocked in Vancouver prior to the Alaska season?:confused: I'd read that it was going into drydock soon but didn't know when. This does not strike me as good news. We're just about to book the northbound Pacific Coastal departing San Diego on May 15. I had really expected the drydock to be completed prior to this point. Any comments on "how bad" it will be before the rehab?

Happy Sails,

Annette

i have just had the most awful feeling in the pit of stomach about this trip-with no explanation as to why. Like I have been waiting for something to happen. Then the flooding issue came up - fine -we will chance it. No biggie. Then the 'sick ship' issue came up. Ugh. Ok. Now this. Better seriously readjust my attitude...we could be in for a doozy!

While I certainly sympathize with all those sailing in the weeks ahead, we are supposed to be boarding tomorrow!:eek: Well, like another poster said earlier, not a dang thing we can do about it at this point. But, like someone else mentioned, I have a master's degree in worrywart so I shall put all that education to good use the next twelve hours. :o

As others have stated, there is nothing you can do about the problems that may or may not occur. If you go on the cruise looking for bad things, you will probably find them. Go with the attitude that no matter what happens, you will not let it affect your vacation. Go with the flow. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Just back from a 5-day cruise on RoS (1/17-1/22). One of the best cruises ever. The ship was very well maintained. I was concerned with the ship scheduled for dry dock in May that they might let some things go, but it was probably the best maintained RCCL ship that we've sailed on. Only problem we encountered was a toilet that didn't flush completely. We left a cabin steward a note and it was fine within a few hours. We look forward to sailing on RoS again after dry dock.

So the ROS is being drydocked in Vancouver prior to the Alaska season?:confused: I'd read that it was going into drydock soon but didn't know when. This does not strike me as good news. We're just about to book the northbound Pacific Coastal departing San Diego on May 15. I had really expected the drydock to be completed prior to this point. Any comments on "how bad" it will be before the rehab?

Happy Sails,

Annette

Radiance of the Seas will be going into dry dock on May 20th after the completion of her May 15 Pacific Coastal sailing. She will resume her Alaskan itineraries on June 10. I believe I read that she will be going to Victoria for dry dock, but could be mistaken.

I believe ships are required to go into this type of intensive drydock once every five years for complience with all of the regulation changes and to make sure everything is up to spec. Radiance is now 10 years old, so this would probably be only her second major drydock. The extended time is more likely due to the public area changes than to anything mechanical.

Please dont flame me...........im just asking a silly question :)

The Radiance sure seems to be having her share of problems and I find that strange for a ship that isnt even 10 years old yet.

The plumbing problems on board seem to be getting more widespread and now she is having "engine issues".

Im a little worried about my upcoming cruise to say the least yet I know there is nothing i can do but go with the flow.

I guess the biggest worry is having a flooded out cabin and them not having another cabin to put me in since i have to have a HA cabin or my cruise being delayed or shortened because of other issues like the engine.

Sorry y'all. Stressing out this close to sail time is what I do best it seems lol. :(:o Just hate to hear such negative news on what seems to be a lot of cruisers favorite ship.

We were on the lovely Radiance mid-August to Alaska. We were on 7. Our friends next door had a wet carpet for a day. They quickly fixed the problem. We did notice, however, outside the theater there was a sewer smell. Didn't keep us from enjoying our trip, however.

My son and daughter in law are onboard the Radiance today. They called us around noon and were relaxing in the Solarium. They have been told that the ship will not sail from Tampa until around 3am but were not told the reason for the delay other than that it was a maintenance issue. When we sailed on Radiance last June we experienced not problems, plumbing or otherwise (except for a screwup with our luggage when we arrived in Vancouver) Even that problem was resolved within a few hours and our bags were delivered to our Vancouver hotel a few hours after we arrived.

If we hear more from our kids, we will post the info here. Whatever happens they were lucky to get out of here yesterday as we had another significant snowstorm and grandkids got another day off from school. At this rate they may be going to school into July.:rolleyes:

I believe ships are required to go into this type of intensive drydock once every five years for complience with all of the regulation changes and to make sure everything is up to spec. Radiance is now 10 years old, so this would probably be only her second major drydock. The extended time is more likely due to the public area changes than to anything mechanical.

That may depend on whatever has caused today's delay. That sounds like something mechanical and depending on what it is and whether or not it can easily be remedied without bringing the ship into drydock, there may be more in store for Radiance than just the addition of the new public spaces and restaurants. Time will tell.:)

but if anyone wants to back out and donate their cruise, we're up to taking on the risks:D

Im a little worried but Im not THAT worried :p:o:D

Seriously though, a little wet carpet here and there will not bother me. A whif of "the smell" will not bother me.

3 inches of water in my cabin and nowhere to move me since I have to have a HA cabin WILL bother me :(

Im trying my best to be a cup is half full kinda guy here though. ;)

Sounds like the ol gal is in serious need of the upcoming drydock.

We're on Radiance in five weeks, and on Jewel next NYE, but if anyone wants to back out and donate their cruise, we're up to taking on the risks:D

Five weeks? What date is that? I am 2/28, if you are also...come on over to our very sparse thread. Guess we have the ship to ourselves from the look of it. :rolleyes:

Getting on Monday, Nothing will bother me. I intend to go with the flow. I wouldnt even had minded being on that Carnival ship that lost power. Still better than shoveling snow or going to work.

I'll have to keep that in mind on our 2/28 cruise on the Radiance.

Just got off Radiance this morning. It was a great cruise.We also cruised on it 12/6. The staff is great and ship in good shape. You could not tell there was any problem with the way the ship cruised. We left Tampa late due to the "problem", they did some work on it in Cozumel, and again today. I would go on it again in a heartbeat. And I will as soon as I can.

Right. Kevin said that they could see the divers in the water.

Divers were in the water near the Azipods just before our Jewel trip on 1/14 in Ft. Lauderdale, welding something underwater. No delay on our departure, however.

Then when we got back to port, the monster sewer suckers and the welders were there again, as we had problems with backed up sewer system and non flushing toilets several mornings, they were working mid ship then.

Guess the "sisters" are having twin problems.

Archived