Never Done Norwegian Before - Dining Info Needed

WillieD13

We have narrowed our choices for this summer down to 2 cruises, one of which is on Nowegian, on which we have not sailed before. a review of the ship's deck plans brings up some concerns, that to us are rather important. I am aware that the cruise will be Freestyle, meaning no set seating at meals. This in itself is a bit of a concern, since we like having the table with other people, so we can compare notes, and in general socialize, etc. The other concern revolves around the assorted eateries other than the MDR. I noted that there are a lot of choices, but they are scattered all over the ship, on multiple decks. This sounds rather inconvenient, as compared to what we experienced on Carnival last year, where there were 6 or 8 serving buffets, all within about 30'-50' of each other. I found that to be great, since it allowed a mixing of meals (oh boy, an egg roll, to go with my pot roast, and pizza). All that being said, maybe I am totally misinterpreting this, since it is based strictly on looking at deck plans. The ship in question is Norwegian Dawn, Boston to Bermuda (and back of course). Those of you who have been on Dawn before, please feel free to comment on your dining experiences, good or bad.

I'm wondering if NCL is really the right cruiseline for you. You won't be seated with others in the MDR - they have smaller tables. The main dining room are first come, first served and can be quite crowded at peak times unless you are in a Penthouse or above, in which case you can make a reservation through the concierge and get in immediately at your reservation time. There is a buffet and you can mix cuisines there, if you prefer. The specialty restaurants are nice, but require a reservation and extra $$. Again, you will not be seated with other. Personally, I did not mind the restaurants being scattered all over the ship.

We have narrowed our choices for this summer down to 2 cruises, one of which is on Nowegian, on which we have not sailed before. a review of the ship's deck plans brings up some concerns, that to us are rather important. I am aware that the cruise will be Freestyle, meaning no set seating at meals. This in itself is a bit of a concern, since we like having the table with other people, so we can compare notes, and in general socialize, etc. The other concern revolves around the assorted eateries other than the MDR. I noted that there are a lot of choices, but they are scattered all over the ship, on multiple decks. This sounds rather inconvenient, as compared to what we experienced on Carnival last year, where there were 6 or 8 serving buffets, all within about 30'-50' of each other. I found that to be great, since it allowed a mixing of meals (oh boy, an egg roll, to go with my pot roast, and pizza). All that being said, maybe I am totally misinterpreting this, since it is based strictly on looking at deck plans. The ship in question is Norwegian Dawn, Boston to Bermuda (and back of course). Those of you who have been on Dawn before, please feel free to comment on your dining experiences, good or bad.

The Dawn is definately my favorite ship. It is beautiful and easy to get around. You spoke about the buffet being within 50' of each other. The Dawns buffet is all in one place also. There is 6 long stations. Usually 4 serve the same things and 1 is a deli and the other is Indian(at least it was the last time we were on)

The specialty restaurants are in different locations but the ship is not that big that you can't get to a restaurant easy enough. You can also request to sit with other people when you arrive at either of the 2 main dining rooms or you can sit by yourselves. It is freestyle and that means "get it your way".

There are 2 main dining rooms that have different ambiance and both are lovely.

If you choose the Dawn, I am sure you will be very happy.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

The Dawn is definately my favorite ship. It is beautiful and easy to get around. You spoke about the buffet being within 50' of each other. The Dawns buffet is all in one place also. There is 6 long stations. Usually 4 serve the same things and 1 is a deli and the other is Indian(at least it was the last time we were on)

The specialty restaurants are in different locations but the ship is not that big that you can't get to a restaurant easy enough. You can also request to sit with other people when you arrive at either of the 2 main dining rooms or you can sit by yourselves. It is freestyle and that means "get it your way".

There are 2 main dining rooms that have different ambiance and both are lovely.

If you choose the Dawn, I am sure you will be very happy.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

There are many choices on NCL. There are two Main Dining Rooms, the Garden Buffet, which includes a separate buffet at the stern of the ship just behind the Garden Buffet. Also, the specialty restaurants. Charge is between $10 and $25. The best specialty in my opinion is the French rest. The Italian and Japanese are almost as good. The Chinese and Mexican are ok. I did't eat at Cagney's since the steaks in the MDR are just fine.

We never had a problem with crowds in the buffet (Garden cafe). Just go a little early. We usually ate breakfast outside at the stern (it was July in the Med) betweem 7:30 and 8:30. Make your reservations 24 hours ahead for the specialty (since you are new to NCL and not Bronze).

You are misinterpeting what the small restaurants are. They are not like the various buffet lines on Carnival. Instead, they are specialty sit-down themed restaurants similar to what you would find on land. The specialty restaurants, except the diner-like Blue Lagoon which is free, have a per-person service charge ranging from $10 to $25, and are entirely optional dining choices. Reservations are a good idea.

On NCL, you have 2 main dining rooms (like most Carnival ships), a buffet restaurant (like Carnival), the pool-side grills (like Carnival), plus all those specialty restaurants (unlike Carnival, which has either zero or one depending on the ship). In the main dining rooms, you arrive when you want to, and can ask to be seated alone or with others. You will not have the same dining patners every night unless you arrive together.

The buffet on NCL is similar to buffets on Carnival, all in one large area on Lido deck, however the serving line is broken into various stations for salads, hot foods, grill, pizza, deserts, etc.

I have not sailed on Dawn, but have sailed three other NCL ships, so if my description of the buffet or the Blue Lagoon is a litttle off I am sure someone will come along to correct me.

I'm wondering if NCL is really the right cruiseline for you. You won't be seated with others in the MDR - they have smaller tables. The main dining room are first come, first served and can be quite crowded at peak times unless you are in a Penthouse or above, in which case you can make a reservation through the concierge and get in immediately at your reservation time. There is a buffet and you can mix cuisines there, if you prefer. The specialty restaurants are nice, but require a reservation and extra $$. Again, you will not be seated with other. Personally, I did not mind the restaurants being scattered all over the ship.

In the main dining rooms, you arrive when you want to. You may be seated alone or ask to join others. We have been asked several times if we would mind sharing a larger table. As old sole said, you will not have the same dining patners every night unless you arrive together.

OK, here is a bit of information for you; yes, the dining rooms are on various decks, which certainly isn't a bad thing at all, it is good. Why would you think it is bad? I don't understand??? The buffet is like a buffet on any other ship, the buffet is all on one level. I think what you may not be understanding is, many of those eateries that are elsewhere are sur charge dining rooms, which Carnival only has one I think and it is much more expensive than NCLs. NCL has more dining choices than any other line at sea.

As for seating with others, you can always ask to be seated with others or you can choose to eat by yourself.

Nita

First let me say that NCL is different than Carnival, and you are misinterpreting the deck plans, but I can understand how that would happen. Carnival ships have one or two main dining rooms, a speciality restaurant, and the buffet.

NCL ships have one or two main dining rooms (which are much smaller than Carnivals), multiple specialty restaurants, which are spread all over the ship on different deck, etc, and a buffet which is set up like the one you mention on Carnival where the stations are close to each other. I find that the buffet on NCL is better than the one on Carnival and the speciality restaurants are better, but Carnival has better main dining room food.

As far as sitting with others that really doesn't happen on NCL. The system is just not designed for that. You can ask to sit with others but it is very hit and miss, because it takes two to tango so to speak.

Try NCL you will enjoy it!

I have to agree with the above two posts. Our group of 4 had no problem walking into either of the main dining rooms at any time during the day. We never waited. Although we sat at a table for 4, the tables are close enough to each other that we visited with others sitting around us. You can ask to be seated with others. We enjoyed the food and service in the main dining rooms instead of the buffet.

You say you are considering 2 cruises this summer, one is NCL what is the other? If it is Carnival, go ahead and give NCL a try, since you have cruised with Carnival before. SuiteTraveler may be right and NCL may not be a good fit for you, so if the other cruise you are considering is not Carnival give that cruise line a try. I am not loyal to any cruise line. I like them all, yes some are better than others, but I have never experienced a bad cruise.

Archived