visitors on boarding day

Gerd

Hello all,

could someone please tell me how and what I have to do that on the boarding day in Rotterdam someone could board the MS Ryndam for a short visit.

Its actually my brother and his wife who would see the vessel.

Do you know an E-Mail address of its HAL Seattle headquarter and mention please for me the best manner to ask for => a long-distance transatlantic call is to much expensive.

Thanks for your help

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

14 days MS Ryndam – North Cape Splendors, June 12

9b8a15a4519e8fb26c1ad9d9cc11dcb2.png

Hello all,

could someone please tell me how and what I have to do that on the boarding day in Rotterdam someone could board the MS Ryndam for a short visit.

Do you know an E-Mail address of its HAL Seattle headquarter and mention please for me the best manner to ask for => a long-distance transatlantic call is to much expensive.

Thanks for your help

Happy cruising

G E R D

if you go to the Holland America website, on the home page is a place for contact, click that and you can email them.

I don't want to discourage you but HAL (like the other cruise lines) does not allow non passengers to board for security reasons.

I don't want to discourage you but HAL (like the other cruise lines) does not allow non passengers to board for security reasons.
It can be done with enough advance notice. I believe the Captain has to approve the visit.

CC member Kween Karen brought relatives aboard in Seattle, and I believe some visitors in Australia. She is currently on the Prisendam for a GV around South America.

Gerd, you have a much better chance of bringing your relatives on-board in Rotterdam than in a US port! I don't know exactly who to contact at HAL, but I suggest you contact Kween Karen to ask her on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327655

Good luck!

if you go to the Holland America website, on the home page is a place for contact, click that and you can email them.

Kazu---our mutual friends who own the inn had their family on the Eurodam for the day when we called in Saint John on the Canada/New England cruise we took with them. It was arranged well in advance through their travel agent.

I agree that it is not common, but it can be done if you want to jump through all the hoops. However I doubt that it would be allowed on embarkation day as everyone is just too busy to deal with the formalities.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help

Happy cruising

G E R D

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

14 days MS Ryndam – North Cape Splendors, June 12

9b8a15a4519e8fb26c1ad9d9cc11dcb2.png

Yes, it can be done, but it takes time, contact HAL directly or have your TA arrange it, they will, need to bring their passport, that they'll take away at the entrance and they will get it back upon leaving. Then you can show them around and have lunch in the Lido...

As others have posted, it can be done. It can even be done on embarkation day, and in the US on embarkation day.

I sponsored a CC member to board the Veendam in NYC last October when I was boarding. We met, had a nice lunch together, and she got to tour the "new" on the ship.

When the Maasdam was docked in Dover (turnaround day for those leaving the 17 day cruise and others arriving on the 18 day cruise) we didn't have a shore excursion until the afternoon and there were lots of visitors on the ship.

Most (if not all) were from the area or within 60 miles or so. They had previously been on HAL. All were carrying a HAL bag (cloth, like the women get in the cabin) and a gift of one of the ships they had been on. Replica of course.

We spoke to a nice couple and their daughter and they showed us the presents. The bags were obvious, they were everywhere. We asked about our tour to Leeds Castle and they said that Leeds was the nicest castle in all Great Britain. No idea if that was correct.

How we started to talk to them, we usually do not do that, was they asked us to take their picture which we did.

When the Maasdam was docked in Dover (turnaround day for those leaving the 17 day cruise and others arriving on the 18 day cruise) we didn't have a shore excursion until the afternoon and there were lots of visitors on the ship.

Most (if not all) were from the area or within 60 miles or so. They had previously been on HAL. All were carrying a HAL bag (cloth, like the women get in the cabin) and a gift of one of the ships they had been on. Replica of course.

We spoke to a nice couple and their daughter and they showed us the presents. The bags were obvious, they were everywhere. We asked about our tour to Leeds Castle and they said that Leeds was the nicest castle in all Great Britain. No idea if that was correct.

How we started to talk to them, we usually do not do that, was they asked us to take their picture which we did.

HAL (and other cruise lines) will often invite TA's or media types aboard for a lunch and visit in various ports. It's advertising and methods used to help sell cruises. :)

All of those people submitted their passport numbers (or driver's license) in advance of their visit and were cleared by security. When they arrived at the gangway, their names had to have been on approved list. They wear a "V" for Visitor tag and leave their license or passport on the gangway. It is returned when they disembark.

We have been guests and have had guests and the process is carefully followed and there is always security clearance required.

Don't be too disappointed or take it personally if permission is not granted. I would expect it less rather than more likely they may not permit visitors but doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck. Let us know.

Dear all,

I just received from Seattle an E-Mai answer concerning my request.

The answer is "we have implemented a no visitor policy that is enforced fleet wide unilaterally"

So don't ask me why they do it sometimes indeed, and sometimes unfortunately not…..:confused:

Best regards

G E R D

Dear all,

I just received from Seattle an E-Mai answer concerning my request.

The answer is "we have implemented a no visitor policy that is enforced fleet wide unilaterally"

So don't ask me why they do it sometimes indeed, and sometimes unfortunately not…..:confused:

Best regards

G E R D

Gerd--

You got the standard answer - and in general, that's the right answer.

Have your TA do some legwork on your behalf - but you'll need to come up with something more compelling than "I want to have guests aboard" to get HAL's attention & approval.

I've had my parents aboard Oosterdam a few years back on disembarcation day after I contacted someone I knew w/ the home office and told them that I hoped to have my folks come aboard to help convince them that they needed to book a cruise with me...

(It may have helped that I had booked a suite for that cruise)

...and next weekend there will be a wedding aboard Noordam on embarkation day where a number of non-cruising guests will be in attendance.

Years ago the incentive to take family members to New York for transatlantic voyages (before jets) was the fact that you could get on the ships and go to their cabins and tour the ship. Then the mornful sound of gongs in the passageways and the call for "All Ashore Thats Going Ashore!" brought the day to an end.

The 'good old days', there were wonderful Bon Voyage parties in cabins all over the ships. :) Then all those folks who went ashore would stand and wave everyone off. The passengers would throw their streamers and it was all so festive and exciting.

The times have changed .........

Dear all,

could you please me ones more and mention to me the E-Mail address of the MS Ryndam.

Will hope that they could manage to accept my request….??

Happy cruising

G E R D

3starMariner.gif

HAL (and other cruise lines) will often invite TA's or media types aboard for a lunch and visit in various ports. It's advertising and methods used to help sell cruises. :)

All of those people submitted their passport numbers (or driver's license) in advance of their visit and were cleared by security. When they arrived at the gangway, their names had to have been on approved list. They wear a "V" for Visitor tag and leave their license or passport on the gangway. It is returned when they disembark.

We have been guests and have had guests and the process is carefully followed and there is always security clearance required.

Don't be too disappointed or take it personally if permission is not granted. I would expect it less rather than more likely they may not permit visitors but doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck. Let us know.

This was our experience when we got to go on board as visitors a few years ago here locally. I thought we would be one of only a few, but there were a number of T/A's who boarded with us.

Anything is possible:)

• 5 months later...

Hello all

I come back to my post in January, because I was really astonished while boarding the Ms Ryndam at 10.30 AM.

On the entrance of the Rotterdam Cruise Terminal was a table with several service personals – and off course, a huge list of "pre-registered visitors".:confused:

This annoyed me – so I’ve asked them how this is possible; quote "this is a list, established from Seattle, and without being on it, no-one else can enter the vessel" end-quote:eek:

So now, and because my brother and his DW was at the pier, I straight told about them my request via Seattle and there answer. This did of course not change anything !

But on the check-in board I asked a Ryndam officer to explain me this discrepancy. He also was astonished, because he told me, that they always do have a list of visitors from Seattle for the embarkation day.

=> He then just called the vessel security officer, and he granted the access for them.

While leaving Rotterdam at 5 PM, my brother and his DW was one of the most proud fans of me, because I could indeed, arrange their visit.

Moral of the story, never believe just an office somewhere in the world, but do a close check-up on the given day…..!!!

Happy cruising

G E R D

MS Ryndam - North Cape Splendors – June 2011

193 HAL days - 42'587 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

While leaving Rotterdam at 5 PM, my brother and his DW was one of the most proud fans of me, because I could indeed, arrange their visit.

Moral of the story, never believe just an office somewhere in the world, but do a close check-up on the given day…..!!!

Congratulations on prevailing! :D

Hello all

I come back to my post in January, because I was really astonished while boarding the Ms Ryndam at 10.30 AM.

On the entrance of the Rotterdam Cruise Terminal was a table with several service personals – and off course, a huge list of "pre-registered visitors".:confused:

This annoyed me – so I’ve asked them how this is possible; quote "this is a list, established from Seattle, and without being on it, no-one else can enter the vessel" end-quote:eek:

So now, and because my brother and his DW was at the pier, I straight told about them my request via Seattle and there answer. This did of course not change anything !

But on the check-in board I asked a Ryndam officer to explain me this discrepancy. He also was astonished, because he told me, that they always do have a list of visitors from Seattle for the embarkation day.

=> He then just called the vessel security officer, and he granted the access for them.

Happy cruising

G E R D

MS Ryndam - North Cape Splendors – June 2011

193 HAL days - 42'587 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

How wonderful that your brother and his wife were able to visit the ship with you!!

Glad you asked questions when you boarded the ship.

Archived