Cooking classes

GORDONCHICK

Hi Gordonchick,

I have just returned from a 14 night cruise on the Volendam, and the cooking classes were $29pp for the adults classes (not sure of the charge for the kids classes). It would pay to do your homework and ask your party-planner how much hands on is really going to be involved, and what is included in the price, as it seems to change from cruise to cruise, from party planner to party planner, and who is running the class ...

I have been on two cruises on the Volendam and have had very different experiences on each cruise regarding the cooking classes. Last year I did all three classes offered and they were all hands on. We spent two hours learning how to prepare and plate a three course meal, and then enjoyed it with a class of wine in the PG. I felt it was $29 well spent, and each time met 11 other wonderful people who also share a passion for food. It generally took up 3 hours of a sea day (11am - 2pm), plus add on extra time for further conversation!

This cruise, the first cooking class was with Kumar (Head Chef of the Pinnacle Grill) and all we did was cut up a couple of vegies and plate up a salad. He didn't have very good English, and did not introduce himself or give us a chance to meet each other. It was very poorly organised. We all did different things, so none of us ended up learning how to prepare/cook the three dishes. (I felt like we were just working as kitchen hands while Kumar actually prepared the meal). The dessert was pre-prepared so we didn't learn anything about cooking/praparing it!! At the end of the class, there was not even enough food for all of us to enjoy the meal (and there were only 5 of us). It was all over in 45 minutes. Kumar didn't stay to eat with us, and our party-planner, who is supposed to host the event, disappeared after 5 minutes and never returned! The wine was forgotten until we spoke to the cellarmaster, who promptly made amends :D. I decided not do participate in any further classes after this. (And I gave up my first ever Mariners Brunch for this!!)

OK, so that sounds a bit negative, but please don't think it is not worth the money. On any future cruise, I am still keen to do more of these cooking classes, but I will certainly do my homework to ensure it is worth the $29 before I sign up. And that is also my suggestion to you ... Get as many details as you can from your party planner. The more details she can give, the better organised it is likely to be.

Have fun, I am already suffering withdrawals and missed the towel animal and chocolate last night now that I am back in my own bed :(

Carina

The culinary classes are a part of food and wine.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to participate.

You are allowed to watch. Despite the previous post which I will not dispute, it was not our experience and can be a lot of fun.

Well described in the daily program. :):)

The cooking classes are $29 as some have stated, usually very hands on. They also have free cooking demonstrations that we have always enjoyed. They are about 1 hour and one of the chef's will prepare a couple of dishes. The best part is you get to taste a sample of what they prepare;).

Kirk

The cooking classes are $29 per person and limited to 12 people.

The only thing listed about them in the Explorer daily program is the fact that there is one and the time is listed there -- no description of what is being prepared or who the chef will be -- that was on our cruises.

The classes are not all conducted the same way. Some are excellent -- some poor. There is no telling how yours will be.

Yes -- they can be held on the same day (and time) as the Mariner's brunch as they are usually held only on sea days.

The ones that I have seen for the children was through Club HAL -- but again -- can change from ship to ship -- you need to ask the Party Planner about this -- as well as the cost.

I don't know about the kids cooking classes but the adult ones are $29pp.

No charge for the kids cooking classes. The class will be listed on the Club HAL daily program you will receive in your stateroom. ( you only receive the kids' daily programs if you have kids) My daughter enjoyed the kids cooking. They made pizzas.

Diane

If you are interested in the cooking class for adults, go to the front desk ASAP after boarding to sign up, since on some cruises they fill up early. The front desk will have the menus to be done at each of the classes scheduled, and the early birds get their choice.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to participate. You are allowed to watch.

You're not thinking of the free large-audience demos, are you? I think at the classes "watchers" are not very welcome because they would be getting almost the same experience as those paying $29 each.

You're not thinking of the free large-audience demos, are you? I think at the classes "watchers" are not very welcome because they would be getting almost the same experience as those paying $29 each.

That's what we found, too. The $29 classes did NOT have "watchers"; they were limited to the 12 participants. We loved it and would do it on every cruise.

Archived