Babysitting vs Nursery w 10 month old

kaelyne

We are looking at taking a family cruise later this year and our baby will be around 10 months at sailing time. I have perused the various cruiseline websites and it looks like RCCL is the only line that offers nursery services for babies this young, and only on their Oasis class ships (Oasis and Allure). However, both RCCL and Carnival (and some of the other lines as well) do offer babysitting services, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of solid information available about the specific times, etc. that those services are offered.

The costs we are finding between the RCCL Oasis class cruises and the Carnival cruises or other RCCL ships is pretty significant (mostly bc we are paying for our parents' cruise tickets as well so the difference in per person price becomes a pretty big factor).

So, I am hoping that maybe some of you who have experienced cruising with very young children might be able to tell me a little bit about your experience and help us weigh whether or not it is worth the added expense to stick with one of the RCCL Oasis class ships bc of the nursery service, or if we would be ok relying on just the babysitting service and saving some $$. We will be travelling with both sets of grandparents so we should have plenty of backup babysitting available during the day, but are concerned about nighttime since both sets of parents will likely go to bed fairly early (as will he) and we'd like to be able to catch at least a couple of the shows, etc. in the evenings.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

P.S. Also, for those that would suggest just leaving our son home or postponing the trip, neither of those solutions are even going to be an option for us as the timing is specific due to a family celebration and the whole family will be onboard with us, leaving no one else stateside to watch him while we are gone.

Hi Kaelyne,

We acutally went on the Oasis in December with our 10 month old. Unfortunately, RCCL doesnt offer in-room babysitting for children under 1 year. You will have to use the nursery.

That being said, the nursery was absolutely wonderful. We LOVED the staff and couldnt have felt more comfortable leaving our daughter there. She actually seemed to love it there too!

Please let me know if you have any questions. As you will hear from other people, it is not the vacation you are used to with a baby, but it is definitely worth it!!!

I think the babysitting is in the $12 per hour range, with a 2 hour min....they will send 2 babysitters to the room, however, you only pay for one (must be some sort of liability thing)...

Or, if baby goes to sleep early, how about sticking him in with the "early to bed" grandparents while you take in a show?

I guess you'll have to figure out how much you'll be using either type of service, and plan accordingly....

We are sailing on Oasis in March and picked it mainly because of the nursery. I have heard good things about it and am really looking forward to it as an option for our then 16 month old son. I am pretty sure that they have cribs in there for the evenings or even naps and read somewhere that they do lullabys and stories at night for the little ones. We will be leaving him with his grandparents a couple of nights but might have him in the nursery a couple of nights as well so we can enjoy the ship.

I like the idea of having babysitting as an option but like the nursery idea a whole lot more so he can play there, etc. hopefully with other kids.

Liberty of the Seas now has the nursery...Came out of drydock Sat. and left yesterday on her first cruise.

Carnival does not offer babysitting...Not sure if little ones under 12 mos. can be left in the late night group sitting. EM

FYI--Disney cruises offer nurseries for the little ones too.

Also, some other RCI ships are going to be getting nurseries too. I can't exactly remember, but check out their website and you can find the list. Depending on when you want to go, these other ships might be options too.

I think the babysitting is in the $12 per hour range, with a 2 hour min....they will send 2 babysitters to the room, however, you only pay for one (must be some sort of liability thing)...

Or, if baby goes to sleep early, how about sticking him in with the "early to bed" grandparents while you take in a show?

I guess you'll have to figure out how much you'll be using either type of service, and plan accordingly....

But the baby has to be at least 12 months of age for in-cabin sitting - this one is only 10 months - read the post.

Freedom is being outfitted with a nursery while in drydock this year - not sure of the exact date, but check with the cruiseline - this should be much cheaper.

Liberty of the Seas now has the nursery...Came out of drydock Sat. and left yesterday on her first cruise.

Carnival does not offer babysitting...Not sure if little ones under 12 mos. can be left in the late night group sitting. EM

They allowed this as of last May, when we left our 11 month old daughter there after 10pm on both the Glory and the Freedom. It was a great service!

I really prefer the idea of a nursery/kids' club setting rather than babysitting in the room. Not just because I felt obligated to really tidy up before we left, but as it was our holiday too... umm... I'm not sure how to descretely say that perhaps there were some things we wanted to do in the cabin without children present?

Nursery... much better idea...

From everything I've read, babies are allowed in the late-night (after 10 PM) nursery stuff on Carnival, but there's no other sitting per se. Maybe with family onboard you can have a playdate with grandparents/aunts & uncles during the day here and there?

I remember Carnival having a few times available in the afternoon when you could pay for babysitting in the kids club, but we didn't use it. Check the website for the exact times (something like 2 hours in the afternoon and then after 10pm)

I think those times that you can be in the kids club during the afternoon are free, but they are not babysitting, you have to be there. Make sure you visit Camp Carnival the first night to get whatever special flyer has those listed (because it's nice to roll around and play with other people's toys, right?) because you will not see times listed in the Carnival newsletter.

Answers to babysitting questions: http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-548216

I can't speak for current cruises, but last spring I definately remember it being possible (it's just that I was trying to save up all my babysitting pennies for nighttime). It may vary ship to ship as well, depending on how many staff they have.

But if you are travelling with family, here's hoping they'll help you out a bit here and there.

Also, at that age, definately bring a small inflatable pool for the pool deck. Our daughter would happily splash for 1-2 hours while sitting next to my deck chair (in the shade, of course - I'm not a sun person anyway), and I was able to read and visit and she was happy.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you all so much for all the replies. It seems like the nursery is definitely the way to go, as we are only worried about someone to watch him in the evenings as we will have plenty of ffamily and friends avilable during the daytime.

But with RCCL adding the nureries to some of their other ships that definitely helps!!

Thnks again everyone!!!

Archived