Any suggestions for Barcelona restaurants with earlier dining?

annimal

Hi, it's my understanding that the locals in Barcelona eat dinner quite late (i.e. after 9pm). Are there any suggestions for good restaurants that serve dinner earlier like around 6:30 - 7:00pm? Having dinner too late is not really an option as I am traveling with my 3 year old son. Thanks!

Hi, it's my understanding that the locals in Barcelona eat dinner quite late (i.e. after 9pm). Are there any suggestions for good restaurants that serve dinner earlier like around 6:30 - 7:00pm? Having dinner too late is not really an option as I am traveling with my 3 year old son. Thanks!

Some may consider it too touristy. But we love 4 Cats. It is near the Palace of Catalan Music and we had a great meal before a show. I plan to go back this summer. Food is good and atmosphere is great. The website is www.4gats.com . We have kids and don't plan to eating our two dinners after 7 or 7:30. We also ate at Tenorio, which we enjoyed and that is close to Casa Batllo. We may have showed up there around 6:30. It is a huge restaurant and we were one of the first arrivals. Not surprisingly, others there that early were speaking English. :D They have great sangria and the food was good too. But, for the 3-year old, you are better off at 4 Cats.

"Normal" American dining time is Tapas time. Some people (like me) think eating an assortment of tasty tapas beats an entree any day.

Also, many of the restaurants, and not just the tourist traps, open early -- well, early by Spanish standards -- for visitors used to an earlier dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Since we have a family group of 10 (one 3 yr old child and the rest of us fall between late 20's to mid 60's), we are staying in an apartment in the Eixample district. It's a block south of Avinguda Diagonal on Passeig de Sant Joan which is 6 blocks over from the Passeig de Gracia. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Not sure where you are staying but we had a fabulous meal at Cerveceria Catalana which opened at 7:00. The tapas were to die for plus the three of us ate (and had two glasses of wine) for around 45 euros ;).

Is this restaurant near the Colon Hotel?

Last night we strolled around Port Olympico between 6 and 7ish. All the restaurants were open but seemed quite empty.

We ended up eating at Cal Pinxo in Barceloneta on the recommendation of our hotel at about 7:30, maybe 8pm. It was kind of expensive (75euros inc tip and tax and everything for just 2 entrees and a bottle of water, and who knows what the tipping custom is here so maybe we overtipped). They had paella and lots of monk fish on the menu. I had the house special monk fish and DH had a steak, both dishes were fantastic. PS we got ripped off by what we call 'the bread tax'. It states on the menu that bread service is 2euros. They brought out bread and DH couldn't resist so we both had some. It ended up being stale and not that great, and were charged 2 euros EACH! We got tourist trapped on that one! Oh well.

They were giving you a free bottle of wine for taking a table, too bad we're teetotalers!

You should always ask about tipping customs before you travel to a new country. In most of Europe there is little tipping. IF you leave something 10% is plenty and not even necessary in most restaurants.

annimal, One of the Origens99 is not too far from your apartment on Avinguda Gaudi, the street that goes on a diagonal from Sagrada Familial Origens is fun because the menu is also a souvenir with pix of all the food. They only use fresh ingredients.

El Glop has one north of where you are in the neighborhood of Gracia and also on Rambla Catalunya(NOT las Ramblas) but I would assume you have a map since you seem to know where your apartment is exactly!!

I am sure you will find other places nearby. It is only the fine dining spots that close and then open late for dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Since we have a family group of 10 (one 3 yr old child and the rest of us fall between late 20's to mid 60's), we are staying in an apartment in the Eixample district. It's a block south of Avinguda Diagonal on Passeig de Sant Joan which is 6 blocks over from the Passeig de Gracia. Please keep the suggestions coming!

We had an apartment in your neighbourhood in Oct. We found that the local restaurants were quite empty even later in the evening. Finally, we figured out that we could walk to the Passeig de Gracia and go to restaurants in that area.

Archived