Has anyone heard of a "travel photo" or "travel docs" issued by DMV?

hislove330

I cannot speak about this travel use paper ID, but I know of several people who travelled on RT cruises with the old license and the renewal paper (which extends the validity date of the 'expired' license) along with their certified BC. No troubles.

That's the kind of thing I've been trying to figure out. Searching these boards, plenty of people ask that question but I have yet to find someone who said, "I used my BC, old license and temp and worked fine." Thank you.

Oh, wow... that's pretty cool. I'm about 2hrs from LA, but this is worth considering. Yes, we had the passport cards too and they work for closed-loop. I wonder if there is a charge for doing it on the spot. We leave on the 19th.

If you go to the official passport agency (US Gov't) the only extra charge is the expedite fee - the same as you'd spend if you were sending it for expedited renewal.

The other poster who commented that it cost 'over $600' for the same-day service must have gone through a private expediter, not to the official agency.

Update: in case anyone cares....

I got both my travel doc and DL today. Go figure. The travel document, for those who may wonder, is a DMV Certified (stamped, dated and signed with CA DMV seal) color photocopy of my driver's license, blown up to an 8x11. It comes with a letter on DMV letterhead that this is certified for travel.

I'm going to take it with me to the port and ask customs/immigration what they would have done if this document and a certified BC was all I had. Just out of curiosity and so I can post it on here for anyone else who wonders... because I know that it's easy to lose a passport or DL right before a trip.

• 5 years later...

How did this work out for you? I I'm in the same boat. I had to reorder my renewal CA DL, and I ordered a regular ID hoping one might come faster than the other. But my cruise is in 15 days...

I was told about the travel photo, did carnival accept yours???

Thanks!

Immigration and Customs are the same thing. The acronym is ICE. ICE = Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.

ICE nde Immmigration etc are Part of DHS Department of Home land security.

OP sorry for this predicamment. Hope it all woks out fine for you.

To others gettting renewed or new passport,at the same time, Buy a Passport card and leave it in a different place than the passport book.

Edited by sail7seas

How did this work out for you? I I'm in the same boat. I had to reorder my renewal CA DL, and I ordered a regular ID hoping one might come faster than the other. But my cruise is in 15 days...

Thanks!

As the OP of this thread hasn't posted since 2012, not sure you're going to get an answer. As Sail7 says, it is CBP, not Carnival, who decides whether documentation is acceptable. Contact them. Many states issue a "state ID" card for those who do not have driver's licenses, like kids under 16. Not sure about CA. Most times it is issued then and there at the DMV.

Edited by chengkp75

Thanks!

This thread is 6 yrs old

Better to start a new thread or people will just be replying to posts from 2011

:eek:

As the OP of this thread hasn't posted since 2012, not sure you're going to get an answer. As Sail7 says, it is CBP, not Carnival, who decides whether documentation is acceptable. Contact them. Many states issue a "state ID" card for those who do not have driver's licenses, like kids under 16. Not sure about CA. Most times it is issued then and there at the DMV.

CA issues state IDs. They are processed thru the DMV with the same timeline.

When we misplaced our passports we simply took the application forms, our birth certificates, and DL to the passport window at our local post office and took care of applying for new passports that way.

More and more states issue only paper temporary DL's with the actual one taking 4-6 weeks to arrive.

Edited by NMLady