Escargot

djcass4199

• 3 weeks later...

We think both Princess and Celebrity have very good Escargot. The truth is that if you drown anything in lots of garlic and butter it will taste good :) We really enjoy the fact that Celebrity has escargot on their everyday optional menu. We have not been on Princess for about 14 months (we are Elite on that line) but recall that they had removed escargot from their "everyday menu options." In fact, on our last Princess cruise (it was on the Grand) we mentioned to the Maitre 'd that we really wanted escargot on more nights and he made sure we got it whenever we wanted as long as we gave him notice the night before.

Hank

• 1 month later...
Okay, can you describe the flavor and texture of it?? I love seafood and am game to try it on my upcoming one. Just curious??

As interesting question. The texture is probably similar to a piece of hot dog. As to the taste, the snails seem to take on the flavor of whatever sauce surrounds the little critters. Most cruise lines, and restaurants, serve them bathed in a mixture of clarified butter and lots of garlic. Some would argue that even paper would taste good in a butter-garlic mixture :) In fact, for many escargot lovers, the best part is to dip some bread into the butter-garlic mixture. We have also had snails in other sauces such as a red wine reduction....but on ships it will be lots of garlic and butter.

Hank

It's an easy way to get garlic and butter on bread into your body!! The snails take on the garlic butter taste indeed, so ya don't taste them so much, a wee bit only. Just imagine a small somewhat chewy morsel.

Canned snails are so cheap, melting butter with shallots and garlic and parsley, tossing a can of snails in the skillet and your good to go. We make them a few times a year, even here in Northern rural Minnesota.

At this point we will tell our tale of how, and why, we tried Escargot. About twenty years ago we were on an extended trip around Europe on a Eurorail Pass and spent several days in Paris. One evening we went to a highly recommended Parisian restaurant (Bistrot Breteuil) where DW, 9 year old DD, and I sat down for dinner. Our waiter, who spoke as much English as we spoke French cheerfully took our order as we tried to communicate with all the language problems. When we finished ordering our waiter refused to leave the table explaining in French and bad English that one of us must order the Escargot. DD, who thought this was very funny (she was a little girl) started laughing and the waiter still insisted that somebody order the Escargot. Being a macho male I did not have the guts to try what I considered "slugs" so DW bailed us all out and agreed to the Escargot. When they brought the dish (in garlic butter with pine nuts) DW closed her eyes and bravely put that awful creature into her mouth. We very quickly had a big smile and a few umms....after which the macho male (moi) decided to give it a try (DD kept laughing but has never had a snail in her life to this day). Both DW and I quickly realized that we liked eating these ugly creatures and the rest is escargot history :)

Hank

Thank you Hank! I am going to give it a try. My mom and sister are going to watch. We are leaving in 28 days for my first cruise in celebrity. I figure there is no better time to give it a whirl. Snails are not a hot item in Oklahoma! Lol

Kelli

• 2 weeks later...
It's the quality of the garlic butter and the crispy fresh bread rolls delivered while hot. Sopping sauce and the little meaty treat are a great combination. :cool:

Ditto! Both must be hot. Hate it when the butter starts to get solid and they are lukewarm.

On the Carnival Freedom in October we had it on the second cruise elegant night, and it was delicious! Princess also has a great escargots, and we too get extra bread to dip in the garlic butter - yum!

Our pictures of the food are here: http://www.cruisefoods.com

The escargots will be in the MDR pages of all three ships.

Well I a have made up my mind to try them. I am excited. I am thinking if they are chewy, they must have a mushroomy texture. Thank goodness I like butter and garlic!

I agree that they have kind of a mushroomy texture. I have tried them on Princess, RCCL and Celebrity. Princess has just the right mixture of garlic and herbs, RCCL was very bland, and Celebrity was pretty good but not as good as on Princess, IMHO.

Do they still have their little antennas?? I guess years ago, my mom and dad, while living in Panama thought they would try them. Mom popped hers out of the little shell with the fork and saw antennas and couldn't do it after that.

Just curious. We are leaving in 3 days!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to like them because I wanted to be strong in front of my kids but I just couldnt do it. The texture is WAY too much like mushrooms-YUCK!

And what wont taste good drowning in garlic butter? Its the texture.

Luckily my DD (10) loves them so much she shocks everyone @ the table when she orders them every cruise. Little do they know, there is nothing that kid wont try except the kids menu, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived