Live From the Decks of the Mercury The Final Two! 2/5/11 & 2/14/11

tuggers

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day Two

There was quite the crowd in the Elite Breakfast this morning. I sat with Joe and Jill until I could get a table. I guess someone missed the memo about my reserved table! J

I, of course, had the Almond Croissants and Cappuccino along with a Yogurt Parfait. There was also Lox and Bagels, Blueberry Pancakes, Fruit and Pastries. Lots of choices. Thank you, Chef Walter for working to make a good thing even better!.

Hung around for the Cruise Critic meeting. It was a very large group. The Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Manager and most of the Senior Officers were in attendance. Stewart stayed for a while, as did Anca. I didn’t hear them announcing many activities but the microphone didn’t seem to be working too well. The table I was at had a hard time hearing so we may have missed some announcements. I’m sure we’ll get invitations if there are things we should know about. One thing I know might happen is the CC Lunch being scheduled at the same time as the Captain’s Club Party. We only have a few sea days on this cruise so it may be necessary.

Today the temp was still in the 50’s although I was told there were girls in bikinis out by the pool. It was a little too chilly for me to be out there even in shorts! There were fully dressed people out on the lounge chairs. Wrapped up in blankets! Maybe they think its Alaska! J

We had lunch in the dining room. I had the Potato and Leek Soup and the vegetarian crepe plus Mango Cheesecake. It was all very good but the crepe could have been hotter.

It was a very restful day. Nap, reading, nap, food. There were several trivia things today but I never made it to any of them. Maybe tomorrow.

We went to the Elite Lounge from 4 to 6. Then they closed the room, cleaned, set up food and reopened at 6:30 for the Super Bowl Party. The game was on in the Pavilion and also in the theater. They had food at the Pavilion but I don’t know if they had any at the theater. Hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos and they were carving beef and ham. It all looked good but we were holding out for dinner.

Half time came at 8 which was the right time for dinner so we left with the score at 21 to 10 and headed off to see what Mario was recommending.

Dinner, Day Two (note: formal night and the formal night menu was changed to day three due to the super bowl)

Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Crostini

Chilled Veal Tenderloin

Caribbean Cod Fritters

(I had Escargot)

Asian Consommé

Cream of Corn Soup (almost like Cream Caroline)

Leek and Potato Vichyssoise

Seasonal Greens Salad

Endive and Fresh Pear Salad

Grilled Wahoo

Seafood Risotto

Chicken Wellington (four of us had this and it was very good)

Pork Medallions

La Francaise Entrecote Café de Paris (Jackie had this sirloin steak and loved it)

Lemon Ricotta Ravioli

Mario brought out a plate of broiled shrimp, scallops and mussels for us to share and they were wonderful.

Desserts were the Banana Walnut Cake, the chocolate rice crispy thing and a sugar free strawberry dessert. I had Pistachio Ice Cream. Ice cream is really my weakness!

I went back to my cabin and watched the rest of the game. Cil and Roger stopped by to say they were going to Karaoke but I was already undressed and reading. Jackie LOVES Karaoke so I know I’ll be able to catch her singing another night.

It was taking a long time to get the computer minutes set up today. Cil got locked out with the computer guy helping and had to wait 30 minutes to try again. I didn’t even go there after I heard about her experience. I’ll go in the morning and get set up so I can get this posted.

Bye For Now!

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day One

And so it begins…

... I had the Goat Cheese Tart (very rich), Cream of Mushroom Soup (very good) and Prime Rib with a Baked Potato. Dessert was Crème Brule. Typical first night menu and one of my favorites! ...

Hello, Gail!

I hope you enjoy your new adventure aboard Mercury!

If you do not mind, I thought I may help your trip journal entries with some visual material.

Speaking of your first dinner aboard the ship (as presented above):

P1210695.jpg

Baked Farm Goat Cheese Tart (served warm with roasted red peppers and aged balsamic syrup)

P1210702.jpg

Crème brûlée

P1210693.jpg

Happy cruising !

Thanks Kathy! I guess it was too much to hope for that Stewart would be on Connie for our cruise end of March. Usually I could not care less who the CD is but Stewart is the best!

From what Gail said, Stewart may be a passenger with us on the May 3rd Millennium cruise. I wonder if he will get roped into working some while he is on vacation as a passenger. Would he be able to be out and about on the ship like other passengers enjoying all the amenities and getting the same excellent service? Hopefully he would get a discount or free cruise.

Thanks, daliflor, for the pictures. We love that goat cheese tart, but will do without the creme brulee which is just entirely too sweet & rich. Already know what we will order for February 14th (1st night): Goat Cheese Tart, Mushroom Cappuccino, Belgian Endive & Arugula Salad, Herb-encrusted Merluza, and the sugar-free blueberry crepe. We've had this the past four times on the Mercury, so I know we will probably repeat our order. This has made me so hungry; now I better go prepare the salad and crab cakes (no dessert, no soup, no bread) for dinner.

I will definitely followup with Stewart on the February 14th cruise to see if he will indeed be a passenger on the May 3rd Millennium cruise as he hopes.

Kathy

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day Two

Dinner, Day Two (note: formal night and the formal night menu was changed to day three due to the super bowl)

Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Crostini

Chilled Veal Tenderloin

Caribbean Cod Fritters

(I had Escargot)

Asian Consommé

Cream of Corn Soup (almost like Cream Caroline)

Leek and Potato Vichyssoise

Seasonal Greens Salad

Endive and Fresh Pear Salad

Grilled Wahoo

Seafood Risotto

Chicken Wellington (four of us had this and it was very good)

Pork Medallions

La Francaise Entrecote Café de Paris (Jackie had this sirloin steak and loved it)

Lemon Ricotta Ravioli

Mario brought out a plate of broiled shrimp, scallops and mussels for us to share and they were wonderful.

Desserts were the Banana Walnut Cake, the chocolate rice crispy thing and a sugar free strawberry dessert. I had Pistachio Ice Cream. ...

Some samples from the menu kindly listed above (as our reporter gets ready for yet another dinner onboard):

P1220334.jpg

P1220335.jpg

P1220339.jpg

P1220341.jpg

P1220333.jpg

Hey Gail!

We just got off the Mercury on Feb. 5 in the cold rain. Our trip was wonderful and we had lots of fun. The staff was great. We also had a slot pull and the Cruise Critic Luncheon, arranged by Anca and it was wonderful.

Have fun!

Beth in Georgia

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day Three

Another sea day, still chilly but warming. Not pool weather by any stretch but at least I have put away the sweat suits and changed to slacks and a long sleeved top. Hopefully, Miami will be a pool day.

It’s morning and I am once again at the Elite Breakfast. Today’s ‘special’ is French Toast w/Slivered Almonds. Plus all the regular stuff. And the Mimosa’s. Let’s not forget the Mimosa’s! Yummy! J

The computer lab is really crazy. I told you Cil was locked out for 30 minutes when she tried to get set up and it almost happened to me. I had to use their computer to initially log in and set the password. Then I would step to my computer, enter the login and password and it would say ‘unknown’. The computer guy kept telling to set it up again, back to their computer, back to mine, etc. He was getting very annoyed because he said I wasn’t using the password I had set up. I knew it wasn’t me because Cil had the same experience. After 4 passwords it finally worked. But boy is it slow!

I really have no agenda today. Would like to see a movie but once again the times just don’t work for me. Or for any of us. Day Two was The Other Guys (which I would have liked to see) and today was Salt. I’m not wild about Angelina but I would have gone to see it if it worked. The movies usually are at noon (interferes with lunch), 2 PM (interferes with nap J), 6 PM, 8:45 PM and 11 PM. If I want to see something bad enough, I guess I’ll give up something else and go. Haven’t heard if they are still doing popcorn but they were when we were on in October/November.

I’m reading Harlan Coben’s Caught so I am very willing to sit and read and let time pass me by! The book and the water view are all I really need to keep me occupied for the afternoon!

Elite Cocktail Lounge from 4 to 6. Tonight we were joined by a lovely couple, Sallie and Cal from New Jersey. They were very good company and the time flew by. I hope they join us again. Can’t remember if they are on for both cruises or just the one. BTW, there are 176 Elites on this cruise and up to 160 have been taking advantage of the lounge.

Tonight is formal night. Last nights menu was really the day three menu with tonight being the day two menu. Got that? Here’s tonight’s menu:

Fresh Pineapple and Honeydew

Smoked Salmon

Beef Carpaccio

Buffalo Style Frog Legs

Fish Bisque

Vegetable Consommé

Chilled Tangerine and Apple (very good)

Spinach Salad

Romaine Salad

Penne Poulet Aux Truffles

BBQ Chilean Sea Bass (best fish on the ship – don’t let the ‘bbq’ stop you)

Quail

Rack of Lamb

Sage Gnocchi

Vegetable Paella

Cherries Jubilee (always good)

So that was the day. Like I said, low key. Relaxing. Just what a cruise should be. I’ve been to all these places so staying on the ship is great for me.

Bye For Now!

daliflor, Thanks for asking if I mind the pictures. As a matter of fact, I do. Because of the pictures I was not able to post from the ship (too slow loading) so if you don't mind, please start another thread if you wish to use pictures. I try to give pictures with words but understand if that doesn't work for you.

Again, thanks for the courtesy of asking. I really do appreciate it.:)

Had to come in to Key West to get these posted. I am going to delete pictures so I can post from the ship for the rest of the cruise.

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day Four

We are in Miami today! And it is warmer.

I missed having breakfast in the dining room with our group because I couldn’t hear the phone ring with my wake-up call (got the CS to change out my phone for one I can actually hear!). So I headed to the Elite Breakfast in the Pavilion at 9:30. Cil and Jackie were there and Roger and JoAn weren’t far behind. Today’s ‘special’ was sausage gravy with what looked like cornbread to put it over. I didn’t try any so can’t comment on what it tasted like. I had a bagel with lox and cream cheese and Almond Croissants, Cappuccino and a couple of Mimosa’s. The breakfast of champions!

Jackie and Roger went into Miami. Actually, just over to Bayside to shop. They took a cab and the cost was $27 round trip. You can walk it but if you want to keep it easy on yourself, try the cab. I was told there was a shuttle early but by the time they went, which I think was around 10:30, it had stopped. It could just be for crew. Not sure. It won’t really matter because the next cruise doesn’t stop at Miami.

We were docked across the street from the Royal and Celebrity Corporate Offices and I suggested to JoAn that she walk over there and complain about the lack of Mass onboard. I think that would be the place to complain because they’re the ones who stopped it. I think she thought I was pulling her leg but I was serious. Complain where it will do some good. As far as I know, there will not be any services except for a non-denominational one on Sunday. I am not Catholic, I’m Lutheran, but I too prefer the Catholic Mass because it’s closer to my service than the other one. And since I do go to church almost every Sunday I’m home, I miss it.

I went up to the pool about 11. There was a steady stream of ‘suits’ from corporate around the pool. The only thing I really heard them talking about was that they were going to take down the twin staircases to deck 12 and put in one main set of stairs on each end of the pool. I could have followed them around and listened in but I really needed pool time! Besides, much as I love Mercury, she’ll be in Germany! J

It didn’t seem hot at all. I stayed out about two hours and did get a little more sun than I should have. I’m not used to coming on a ship as white as I got onboard for this cruise. Usually I hit a tanning salon at least a few times before I leave home but this time, with the Bronchitis and all I had to do, it just didn’t happen. And I had only brought spf 4 lotion with me. So I got a little more color than I am comfortable with!

Had a hot dog out by the pool for lunch. The bun was dry and falling apart so I just ate the frank with a little sauerkraut. It was still good. On the way up to my cabin about 1PM I stopped and had a scoop of coconut sherbet and a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Great combination!

I wanted to finish my book because I was almost to the end. My intent was to read and take a nap but the book was too good and although I finally turned off the light and tried to nap I’m not sure I ever really fell asleep. If I did it was only for 15 minutes or so. My wake-up call came much too fast!

At 4 I was talking to Mellissa and waiting for the Pavilion to open. She showed me some great pictures of her mom’s dog. You guys know I’m a sucker for most any kind of animal! Made me homesick for my babies! I know they are fine but I do like to think they miss me a little! J

Today Reggie (reggierail) joined us. He kept the list for our roll call and did an excellent job! He was anxious to hear from his home in California and see if his business out there had concluded. It’s hard to leave home and have things hanging.

I’ve started drinking a Cosmo on the rocks in the afternoon. Weird, huh? I have a diet coke when I first get there and then have two Cosmos. It’s enough to make me feel I’ve had a drink but no more than that.

Entertainment tonight was Pearl Kauffman at 7 and 9 PM. We’ve been eating at 7:45 so neither time worked for us. Too bad because she is really good.

Note to Terri: I asked Stewart tonight about The Ladder Guy and whether he would be on the last cruise. Alas, it is not to be! Sorry! I really wanted to see him again myself!

Dinner tonight was very good. Here’s the menu:

Citrus Delight

Shellfish and Saffron Risotto

Chicken Liver Parfait (I had this and the Escargot, no soup or salad)

Oysters Rockefeller

Baked Potato Soup w/Frogs Legs

Chicken Broth

Strawberry Soup

Green Leaf and Iceberg Lettuce Salad

Radicchio and Watercress Salad

Rigatoni Bistecca

Lemon Sole w/Shrimp Quenelles

Turkey Parmiggiano Reggiano (Roger and I had this and it was very good)

Slow Roasted Pork Belly

Blackened Ribeye Steak (everyone else had this and really liked it, very tender)

Toasted Couscous Cake

For dessert I had the Coconut Crème Flan but without the dusting of curry powder and a scoop of Lemon Raspberry Sorbet. Loved both.

We were all pretty wiped out after dinner. I came back to the cabin to write this and write a letter to my friend Nathan who is going through basic training at the Great Lakes. You know he’s got to be freezing! Don’t think I’ll tell him it was a pool day here! J Tomorrow is Key West so I can get my letters mailed.

Bye For Now!

Daliflor: I enjoyed your pictures, but I don't think Gail will be able to delete the pictures and I expect she will continue to have problems posting from the Mercury using up valuable Internet minutes. Are you able to delete the pictures from your posts and instead put them in another thread and then we can put a link to that thread here so people can enjoy your pictures? If you can't delete the pictures, maybe Host Andy can help.

Gail,

Thanks for your updates. So far the movies are different from our January 3rd cruise; this will give me a chance to look into movie descriptions before the February 14th cruise in case we have the same ones on that cruise. Menus also are informative for strategizing in advance.

I look forward to your next installment and hope you can post okay. See you in 5-6 days at the sailaway or in the Elite lounge for breakfast.

Kathy

Your friend Nathan is less than 1/2 hour from where I sit and will be beyond freezing. Even the mention of pool time has me in a major sulk. Wish we were there with you but know you'll have a great time. Give JoAn a hug and you two stay out of trouble! Cute little chubby guy sends hugs too!

Mercury Feb 5, 2011 Day Five

We arrived in Key West before 8 AM this morning. The weather was in the 70’s and was sunny a good part of the day going to overcast about noon.

After breakfast Roger, Jackie and I started out for town. We stopped by the Clinton Mall and made a few purchases, then headed to CVS for our ‘supplies’. You know, all the stuff we forgot to bring and now need. I needed hydrogen peroxide and I brought peroxide like you use on hair! Glad I didn’t try to gargle it!

We were the only ship in town so nothing was crowded. It was very pleasant. We walked Duval Street to Margaritaville where I had my usual Mango Margarita and Jackie had a Pomegranate one. The pomegranate was new. She said it was very good. We also had a snack of Conch Fritters which turned out to be our lunch.

Left Margaritaville about 1 PM. I split off on my own and went to the Key West Book Store. They have a great collection of new and used books and specialize in Florida authors. I picked up a couple of books and one book on tape for my drive home. Library is still not very good on Mercury. If you would like to visit the bookstore, it’s on Fleming Street, one block off Duval.

Went to Starbuck’s for the free Internet. I had trouble posting to this thread onboard today so I went where I could let some things take their time loading. Starbuck’s was not very fast either but at least I wasn’t paying for it! Shared a table with a lady who was in KW on vacation. She was so nice. Even sold me a stamp when I mentioned I really didn’t have time to go by the post office before I went back to the ship. I was sending a Valentine card to my friend who is in basic training in Great Lakes. I know he’s

COLD up there! J

Made it back to the ship at 2:30 (all aboard was at 2:45). I was greeted by something I don’t think I have ever seen on Celebrity: A line the length of the ship! Yes, they were waiting to get back onboard! I think the holdup was an ambulance that was there to pick up a passenger. After they got him in and the ambulance pulled out the line started to move. I think I boarded about 2:50. We sailed a few minutes after 3. Never did hear what was wrong with the man they took off but he was conscious and seemed to be alert. Hope he’s okay. BTW, this is my only time in KW in the last couple of years where the police didn’t have a table set up to search packages going on the ship.

I had walked a good bit today so I came back to my cabin, took some pain meds and tried to rest for a couple of hours. I think I took three hot showers trying to get my back and legs working again. Getting old and being disabled really SUCKS! But as I told the bookstore owner, one good thing about getting older is I can now reread books and think they are new. Now if I could just get working legs and back I’d be a lot better!

Elite Lounge was closed today so we could have the Senior Officer’s Cocktail Party. It started at 5:15 and lasted about an hour or a little more. Limited menu of drinks but some very nice canapés. Cil, Roger, JoAn and I sat there for an hour after the party ended, just talking and chilling while we waited for dinner. Jackie has a bad headache but hopefully she’ll join us for dinner.

We talked to Chef Walter during the party, telling him how much we enjoyed the Sea Bass the other night. He suggested that we try the Blackened Drum Fish tonight as it is another of the fish dishes not tried by a lot of passengers but delicious. Maybe I’ll have to give it a try. He also said that he is expecting to go to the Infinity in March.

Talked to Stewart during the party and he said that he would not really be a passenger but if he can arrange it he would be there (Infinity) on May 3rd to kind of ease into taking over as CD. He would have a little freedom but not totally be a passenger. Guess that means he’ll have to do some work! J

Dinner:

Feta and Fresh Fruit

Curried chicken Salad

Tomato and Arugula Crostini

Chicken Spring Rolls (very good)

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Saffron Shellfish Broth

Chilled Black Cherry Soup (good as always)

Boston Lettuce and Gorgonzola Salad

Market Fresh Salad

Seafood Fettuccini

Blackened Drum Fish

Roasted Chicken Saltimbocca

JVS Mozzarella Meatballs

Braised Beef Short Ribs (we all had this, Mario recommended and we were not disappointed)

Honey and Marjoram Braised Barley

We were all full as ticks so we headed back to our cabins.

The ship doesn’t arrive in Nassau until 10 AM so I might take a stab at sleeping late tomorrow! Right now it sounds great but I may wake up at 7. Who knows? At least it will be warmer still in Nassau. JoAn and I thought about going to a beach but since we have CoCo Cay the day after it might just be a pool day!

Bye For Now!

donnaw, the only thing not perfect on this cruise is that you and Joe aren't with us! Otherwise things are pretty much grand! Food, service both excellent!

For those looking at movies, todays is Cyrus. Don't think I put that in the post!

Talked to Stewart during the party and he said that he would not really be a passenger but if he can arrange it he would be there (Infinity) on May 3rd to kind of ease into taking over as CD. He would have a little freedom but not totally be a passenger. Guess that means he’ll have to do some work! J

Gail: Thanks for more from the Mercury! Did you mean the Infinity or the Millennium for Stewart? He told us the Millennium, but things sometimes change. Don't hunt him down for this information as we will be on the ship in four days, so we can ask him then. That makes sense that he has to spend a little time transitioning into his role on a different ship.

I will ask Anca where she is going. I will post an update here on this thread about both Stewart and Anca for those interested in this information sometime during our February 14th cruise, which most likely will be when we are in St. Thomas on February 18th since it takes too many Internet minutes ($$$ & time) to post on Cruise Critic from the ship.

Kathy

Dear Tuggers: Thanks for the live from the Mercury. My brother and sister in law are on the ship with you. I've been reading the menus trying to think of what my brother would eat. He loves good food. It would be funny if he knew I was following the ship through you. Thanks again.

Greetings Gail,

We were checked in and onboard by a few minutes after 11. Everyone who works the pier is very nice. Most of the people who have checked me in are cruisers so they know what needs to be done from both sides of the desk. I missed Howard again. I am going to run into him if I have to hunt him down! Be forewarned, Howard! J

Yes, I'm afraid you are going to have to hunt me down. Everyone told me you said hello on Saturday, Jerry, Adrienne, etc. So please when you get off on Monday for the B2B dance, insist that someone find me.

Hi Host Anne. Have a wonderful cruise.

Are you or Host Andy able to delete pictures on this thread? Gail had trouble posting on this thread while on the ship because of the food pictures taking so long to load. We had also planned to post from our February 14th cruise, but will run into the same problem and will only be able to post from the ports. Don't go through any trouble; I know you have a cruise to go on tomorrow, but maybe Host Andy could help?

In a couple ports during our January 3rd Mercury cruise, we were unable to post because the Internet cafes wouldn't permit posting on Cruise Critic. We received an error. Any suggestions?

Kathy

Kathy and Jack, have a great final Mercury cruise. She was the ship that gave me the cruise bug some 8 or so years ago:cool:

BTW, if you go into "User CP" and under "Edit Options" and "Thread Display Options" about half way down you can uncheck the "Show Images" box so images don't load. Just remember to check it again when you are home!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for letting me know about this feature which I have never used before and will need for this cruise if I am to post while on the ship. I knew about the feature for turning off signatures, but I haven't used/unchecked that either.

And I thought you got the "cruise bug" on the Galaxy when you met those of us who later became the Mercury Amigos. lol.

I will turn off images and signatures before we go. Thanks so much for your information which I will definitely be using.

Kathy

Hi All! kelly and I missed the initital CC events as I was very sick. I actually checked myself out of the hospital against doctors orders so I can cruise...so I'm currently posting from the Mercury!!

Honestly...While Kelly and I are certainly enjoying the company of each other as we don't get to spend as much time together as we like as best friends, we've been less than impressed with service on the Mercury.

Often, we return to our stateroom to find no toilet paper, no towels...not replaced towels, but missing towels, the no ice, etc. Frustrating.

Some evenings when I couldn't leave the room it took over 40 minutes to get a menu from the dining room, and we were made to feel like we were asking for more than we should. Kelly could not than order dinner, as two dinners would have been one hour additional and I needed medicine. I was able to get an appetizer so I could take meds in about 20 minutes.

We're on deck 10 in 1007. So, C2 category.

I had called to check on hot tub times as I really needed it after leaving the hospital. I was told 10pm interior and t pool, and outside 8 pm. Most nights all pools have closed before 8 with some closed all day, or at 6.

The food is exceedlying better than eclipse, however.

I know what some will say... "better than your worst day at work" Well, I'm retired, I have my own hot tub, and I usually don't miss having toilet paper.

Someone earlier in the month had posted about the times of the pool and that was why I had called to confirm. It might seem like not a big deal to some, but it's been to me. It's the difference between being able to walk, or having to use a walker or wheelchair.

The bands have been really really good, in our opinion, on the bright side. And Bijana in the spa is just the sweetest thing in the world and I wish I could visit her all the time. We also have Danilo in the Dining room and he is awesome.

It just sucks being in pain 24-7 and paying $200 for a pool that closes two hours earlier than I was told by three different reps. :(

I was planning to book the NOV 18th silh. sailing, but I don't think Celebrity is for me because it's too inconsistant ship to ship to the home base service.

We will be making it to our lunch God willing so maybe we will finally meet some CC'ers.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Archived