Price Drop for "New Bookings Only"

Lindy Sue

At first I thought you meant it was for the cruise you were getting on......but you meant for another cruise,right???

Correct. We were driving to get on the Navigator on 11/15 and paid for the upgrade for the Jewel 12/5 cruise.:rolleyes:

We were able to see the confirmations (one for the cabin change, and one for the D+ discount) when we got on the Navigator that afternoon by checking our e-mails.

Does that make more better good sense?:)

Royal will not budge on upgrading when it's Tuesday Sale or Special Sales Event.

Nobody should take this personally. The new policy is strictly a business decision, and has nothing to do with loyalty. From RCI's perspective, they're now in line with their competitors. Apparently, there are staterooms needing bodies, since empty ones produce zero for the company. Why would anyone feel that Royal Caribbean is obligated to honor a price reduction for those who had previously booked? Obviously, they were fine with the deal when they signed on, so why give them something they didn't have? Once again, the objective is to fill the ship, not cut into profits. Upgrading can placate some passengers while freeing up less expensive accommodations. Things must be working right, since most sail dates are sold out.

Lindy Sue,

My experience last Tuesday was the same as yours. We booked an E1 and the JS were on sale for $130 more pp. I called the agent and asked to upgrade as per the special pricing that was showing. The D+ person claimed he did not see a special price and that the JS were $1649. He said any special pricing was only available if I had a new booking. I knew that others had been told the same line so I wasn't surprised. I did tell the agent it made no sense since that someone else could have the cabin for $1249 but yet I could not.

Following night a JS guarantee was offered. Guess they didn't get enough sales on Tuesday and were willing to give those of us who had booked the chance to "purchase" the upgrade. I wasn't sure if the fine print at the bottom of the screen would prevail again but the agent had no problem taking my credit card info.

If this happens again I will take thelion's advice and move up the ladder.

Sheal

Were the JS cabins showing on line for $130 more, or were you going by the sale literature? Sometimes, or even often, the Tuesday sales don't always show up properly. Especially on Monday mornings.

If the rep couldn't find them, and said you couldn't get the upgrade that is one thing. If they could find the rates and cabins, and still told you you couldn't pay more for the upgrade, they screwed up.

I will definitely try again if the rates drop before we leave. I am a little confused, we are C&A members and now have the link to the Monday preview. So, if they show the items that will be on sale for Tuesday, do we stand a chance of getting that deal on Monday without the stipulations given on Tuesday :confused: i.e., "New Bookings only..."?

Jewopaho, not sure I agree with you since we booked our November FOS cruise last Oct while on MOS and at the time of booking were advised to take a JS and wait for the prices to drop on the GS and then upgrade. My understanding is that the people who book for you while on the ship work for RCI. Am I wrong? I would assume they know the policies as well and wouldn't give false information. I still think it would be better for RCL to allow us to upgrade (and get more money from us) and they would have a better chance of booking a lower category.

I totally don't get their pricing! We just recently returned from a cruise on the EOS. We ended up being a group of over 30. Just before final payment was due our agent told us that there was a $200 pp reduction in price ONLY for those who booked BEFORE May 1, 2010. That ended up being 10 people.

Marco,

Anyone booked before 5/17/10 is/was entitled to the price drop right up to sail date. Anyone booking after this date would only get a price drop up to the final payment date. RC added this new stipulation in June of 2010.

I still have one cruise this July that falls under this new rule. I'm hoping the cabin price drops since I am happy with the selection (just not the price) but the Baltic pricing is pretty high anyway.

Sheal

Jewopaho, not sure I agree with you since we booked our November FOS cruise last Oct while on MOS and at the time of booking were advised to take a JS and wait for the prices to drop on the GS and then upgrade. My understanding is that the people who book for you while on the ship work for RCI. Am I wrong? I would assume they know the policies as well and wouldn't give false information. I still think it would be better for RCL to allow us to upgrade (and get more money from us) and they would have a better chance of booking a lower category.

That's what I said (or at least meant). While they will not honor a price reduction, you can request an upgrade if the price for your "new" accommodations drops to the level of your "old" one. I can't see any future cruise consultant advising you to "wait for the price to drop" ... what if it doesn't? There's no guarantee of any price adjustment ... but I've been given erroneous information by RCI employees before.

I totally don't get their pricing! We just recently returned from a cruise on the EOS. We ended up being a group of over 30. Just before final payment was due our agent told us that there was a $200 pp reduction in price ONLY for those who booked BEFORE May 1, 2010. That ended up being 10 people.

EVERYONE is entitled to the price drop before final payment.

Royal will not budge on upgrading when it's Tuesday Sale or Special Sales Event.

Not true :eek: I upgraded from my inside cat K to promenade during the C&A preview sale this past Monday and just had to pay $20/pp which is the difference from what I paid the previous week for the inside and what the promenade was on sale for. The regular promenade price was several hundred $$ more.

I called and asked the CVP to contact resolutions dept for me and they got it approved. So Steve - never say never ;) :D

Marco,

Anyone booked before 5/17/10 is/was entitled to the price drop right up to sail date. Anyone booking after this date would only get a price drop up to the final payment date. RC added this new stipulation in June of 2010.

I still have one cruise this July that falls under this new rule. I'm hoping the cabin price drops since I am happy with the selection (just not the price) but the Baltic pricing is pretty high anyway.

Sheal

Just to clarify what you posted above. Anyone who booked prior to May 17, 2010 is entitled to any all price drops up until 72 hours prior to departure.

Cruises booked on or after May 17, 2010 will only receive price drops up until final payment. After that, if a higher cabin category is priced the same as or lower than what you paid for your cabin, you can request an upgrade.

The only thing added in June of 2010 was the ability to combine an OBC with either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate when booking on board. Also, the max OBC was reduced from $300 to $200 in June.

Not true :eek: I upgraded from my inside cat K to promenade during the C&A preview sale this past Monday and just had to pay $20/pp which is the difference from what I paid the previous week for the inside and what the promenade was on sale for. The regular promenade price was several hundred $$ more.

I called and asked the CVP to contact resolutions dept for me and they got it approved. So Steve - never say never ;) :D

Well once again Royal inconsistency abounds:rolleyes:

Okay, really like RCI, but a little annoyed. Cruising in 4 weeks in JS, just got notice of substantial price drop on GS. JOY! Phoned to make change and was advised new price only honored for "New Bookings." :( Kind of get it, but still think RCI would want to be "Loyal" to their "Loyal" return clients and honor the prices and, wouldn't it be easier to re-sell a JS? Okay, done with whining... Can't wait for the cruise! 27 Days!!! :)

I had this same problem last summer with my first RCI cruise and while I loved the experience I'm still bitter that folks got to cruise balcony for the same price I paid for an inside. And why? Because they didn't book early!!!

So this year I'm not booking. I'm looking and planning, keeping a spreadsheet with price fluctuations, but they're not getting my booking. If the ship sells out, more power to them, there are other cruise ships and other cruise lines, for that matter other vacation plans altogether.

I say if you drive to port, if you're somewhat flexible with vacation week and don't try to synchronize vacations with friends or family, DON'T BOOK EARLY!!! Those cruise ships are expensive to run with empty cabins. They will discount if they don't fill them. And with RCI it seems price drops 2 to 3 weeks before sailing if it's going to at all. We'll see if my bet was a good one around mid-late June.

Jewopaho - I'm soooo confused!:confused: What I was trying to do was upgrade, not get a price reduction. I wanted to move froma JS to a GS, but was told "new bookings only." Guess I'm not communicating properly :rolleyes: But thanks for the clarification :)

Green Eyed Lady -- You GO! Congrats on that upgrade! Of course, I am now "green eyed" with envy because it worked for you and not me :p Seriously... well done and enjoy your cruise!

Just to clarify what you posted above. Anyone who booked prior to May 17, 2010 is entitled to any all price drops up until 72 hours prior to departure.

Cruises booked on or after May 17, 2010 will only receive price drops up until final payment. After that, if a higher cabin category is priced the same as or lower than what you paid for your cabin, you can request an upgrade.

The only thing added in June of 2010 was the ability to combine an OBC with either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate when booking on board. Also, the max OBC was reduced from $300 to $200 in June.

Just wondering if you or anyone else could clue me in on how Next Cruise bookings bought before May 17, 2010 figure in. If I use a next purchased prior to May 17 to book now is it considered a booking before or after? Would I be able to get price drops up until final payment?

Just wondering if you or anyone else could clue me in on how Next Cruise bookings bought before May 17, 2010 figure in. If I use a next purchased prior to May 17 to book now is it considered a booking before or after? Would I be able to get price drops up until final payment?

Absolutely.:D Any NC purchased prior to May 17, will get any and all price reductions up until 72 hours prior to departure. If a price reduction happens prior to final payment, your cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, you will receive an OBC on your cruise that is totally refundable.

Just remember that the only benefit you will receive will be an OBC when you change the NC into a specific booking. Combining of benefits went into effect June 1.

Absolutely.:D Any NC purchased prior to May 17, will get any and all price reductions up until 72 hours prior to departure. If a price reduction happens prior to final payment, your cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, you will receive an OBC on your cruise that is totally refundable.

Just remember that the only benefit you will receive will be an OBC when you change the NC into a specific booking. Combining of benefits went into effect June 1.

Great! OK.... even more info. I even have a really OLD next from when everything could be combined. So with that one I could combine PLUS have price adjustments?

Great! OK.... even more info. I even have a really OLD next from when everything could be combined. So with that one I could combine PLUS have price adjustments?

Oh yes.......you have a NC that is worth it's weight in gold! :) You'll be able to combine and get price reductions!

Just make sure that when you activate it, you remind them when it was purchased as there aren't many out there any more. We have one also that needs to be used.

Oh yes.......you have a NC that is worth it's weight in gold! :) You'll be able to combine and get price reductions!

Just make sure that when you activate it, you remind them when it was purchased as there aren't many out there any more. We have one also that needs to be used.

Thanks for the info. :)

I had a similar problem last September. Was told only new bookings but this was for a x,y,z catagory. They were at a great price but was told I didn't qualify! I then took them at their word and left it. About four weeks later people were posting on my roll call that they had got these catagories made another phone call and guess what got the reduction. What did I learn not to give up on my first occassion!

Hi. Just noticed you spell your name the same as I do. It is very unusual that I find someone with the same spelling.

Kimberley

About $225 at today's gold prices.;) That NC might be worth a lot more than it's weight in gold!:cool:

AZ Parrothead read this thread.

I have upgraded 3 times in the last year on a Tuesday sale. I paid $10-20 more per person to go from insides to SOVs on two occasions.

For our December 2010 Jewel Panama cruise, we had an inside cabin booked. An E1 balcony went on sale for $50 more per person. We paid the $100 more, then got the $325 D+ balcony discount and ended up paying less. This cruise was originally booked onboard the Freedom in June 2010 after the 5/17 changes, but got the $150 on board booking bonus as well.

Actually called while driving to the port for another cruise. It took all of 10 minutes, with no resolutions or supervisors involved.

upgradetuesdaysale

Archived