Price Drop for "New Bookings Only"

Lindy Sue

Okay, really like RCI, but a little annoyed. Cruising in 4 weeks in JS, just got notice of substantial price drop on GS. JOY! Phoned to make change and was advised new price only honored for "New Bookings." :( Kind of get it, but still think RCI would want to be "Loyal" to their "Loyal" return clients and honor the prices and, wouldn't it be easier to re-sell a JS? Okay, done with whining... Can't wait for the cruise! 27 Days!!! :)

I think you should call up and ask to upgrade to the GS again!! Different reps seem to do different things, so just keep trying until you get the answer you want! :)

Is the GS price less than what you paid for your JS??

Okay, really like RCI, but a little annoyed. Cruising in 4 weeks in JS, just got notice of substantial price drop on GS. JOY! Phoned to make change and was advised new price only honored for "New Bookings." :( Kind of get it, but still think RCI would want to be "Loyal" to their "Loyal" return clients and honor the prices and, wouldn't it be easier to re-sell a JS? Okay, done with whining... Can't wait for the cruise! 27 Days!!! :)

Same thing happened to us last year, they wouldn't budge, plus if you cancel in the UK you will loose the deposit, I feel your frustrations :mad:... mark

I had a similar problem last September. Was told only new bookings but this was for a x,y,z catagory. They were at a great price but was told I didn't qualify! I then took them at their word and left it. About four weeks later people were posting on my roll call that they had got these catagories made another phone call and guess what got the reduction. What did I learn not to give up on my first occassion!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I received an e-mail this morning from a "price watch" website that notified me of the change. When I asked about the upgrade, rep stated it was only for new bookings, but she could upgrade us to the GS for another $400 + (on top of the $200 I thought I would get it for). Not worth it. Does anyone know if they make notations on your existing reservation? :confused: If so, it would seem anyone I get would note the conversation I have already had. In any event, the cruise is still "on courtesy hold," so I may try again this afternoon. Whatever happens, will just be happy to be sailing in less than 4 weeks!!

Just out of curiosity - if your cruise is only 'on hold' and not booked, then surely you WOULD be a new customer and therefore eligible for the new bookings rate?

NOT correct....a hold has a reservation # and is still considered an existing resi and will not qualify....you can try booking a new resi if you only have a hold but they do have software in place to check you name for previous bookings on the same sailing.

What if you removed the curtesy hold? Either way, if no money has been paid and then they're awkward over the rates, then the OP could cancel without issue and RCL would run the risk of losing a customer. It's not very good customer service!

What if you removed the curtesy hold? Either way, if no money has been paid and then they're awkward over the rates, then the OP could cancel without issue and RCL would run the risk of losing a customer. It's not very good customer service!

I understand where you are going with this....however even if you cancel, your name was on the resi and you are no longer technically considered a new customer.....will they catch this....maybe:confused:...like I said I have been told they have software in place to check for previous bookings...including cancellations....Royal knows the tricks also;)

I also think that's it's nonsense not to upgrade even if it's a Special Sales Event and have had several conversations with Royal about it.....they don't want to know a thing....their response is simply that it's policy and not about to change.

I understand where you are going with this....however even if you cancel, your name was on the resi and you are no longer technically considered a new customer.....will they catch this....maybe:confused:...like I said I have been told they have software in place to check for previous bookings...including cancellations....Royal knows the tricks also;)

I also think that's it's nonsense not to upgrade even if it's a Special Sales Event and have had several conversations with Royal about it.....they don't want to know a thing....their response is simply that it's policy and not about to change.

Bit lame, isn't it. I get that it's policy etc, but considering that the upgrade would still cost more than the original booking, it's insane for them not to offer it! I think RCL might have missed the opportunity to fleece another $200 off them! lol

Cruise booked in August, final payment 1/1, so I would not be a "New Booking." They kinda have us because if we cancel and rebook, we lose money for cancellation fees (and I think there's some fine print about that as well). I just put the hold on the GS this morning in an attempt to make sure we "got it" when I phoned. The JS is still cheaper, but I figured, if it's only $200, "Why Not," as they say at RCI. :D Thought I was signed up for the "Monday" sales sneak peaks, but have never received notification from RCI, just Celebrity, so didn't even think about the fact today is Tuesday and they are running the specials. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Even if it's less, they would hold to the 'new bookings only' exclusion. I'm assuming she found this on the Tuesday sale. If not, I would definitely try again with another rep.

If the GS is MORE than you paid for your JS, you CAN take advantage of it. Here is what you do:

Call reservations (or have your TA call) and advise that you want to UPGRADE to the RSale rate for a higher price. They will tell you it is "new bookings only." Request that they contact Resolutions who will make the change.

BUT, it must result in you paying more money. If the GS is still LESS than the JS, you don't get to do this.

Thanks, thelion. Did not work and almost lost the JS (hump location) in process (currently at a higher rate). Seems they got everything back to the way it was. Whew! Not worth the stress!! Now I REALLY am ready for that cruise :eek:!

Archived