Marina reviews

LHT28

PH Tub/Shower combo is on the small side???? ...

I am comparing it to a standard hotel bath.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to be in cabins with bathtubs on other cruise ships, so I may have expected too much.

Thanks for the lovely link; I still am sponging!

I did watch Mary Hart's lovely Marina videos on ET tonight, although we missed seeing the last video of the christening itself becuase our local CBS affiliate had "technical problems" and put in a bunch of commericals instead!

Try searching on Utube. It might be on there!

I am comparing it to a standard hotel bath.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to be in cabins with bathtubs on other cruise ships, so I may have expected too much.

I guess we are patronizing different hotels, then, because the tub looks standard size to me. We have a larger clawfoot at home in our second bathroom, but it's only larger because it's a clawfoot. (Our first bathroom seems to me to be the same size as the one on O.)

Back when DH took business trips to Europe and we sometimes were in ultra elite hotels (like the Savoy in London), we encountered enormous bathtubs ... but not since!

We were on the "maiden" voyage. Our 7th O cruise and this ship is simply great! Don't understand the gripes about the shower. They make it seen like you can't turn the overhead off while you shampoo. No one has mentioned there large 2 sprays; one handheld that extends fully and one overhead drencher, which is great to get the bugs outta the hair. Both are designed very well. Yes the shower is small and I grieve for those that can't shower for 2! However O is designed for the older crowd and one of us is usually taking a nap while the other showers, so it is never a problem.

Hi ya, there, O&R! :)

Have you been to the Gaige House in Glen Ellen?

Their "zen" suites have the most fabulous Japanese soaking tubs that had to be lowered by crane into the bathrooms when constructed.

Sounds like you'd like 'em. And since Glen Ellen is a hop, skip and a jump from you..........(as it is for us!) ;)

gaigesoakingtub.jpg

http://www.gaige.com/

Hi there yourself, BEAV. Nice picture of the furo. :)

Yes, we have been inside every one of the Gaige House Inn rooms (have not stayed in all of them!), but that was around ten years ago and they have been redone since then, plus some new cottages added. Very nice place.

As for your "under the Golden Gate bridge" photos, I hope you will be changing the ship pictured soon. The photo is super, but the Queen Mary is just too big!

Sorry to hear about the showers - I was hoping for a more significant improvement in that department from the R ships (at least there is no clinging shower curtain :)). We are not "tub" people.

Polo was my favorite on the R ship. What did you have that was so bad?

Thanks.

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

I think our bad meal was an aberation. It was, unfortunately, our first meal, so it got things off to a poor start. However, it was more than made up for my the excellent next three meals.

The biggest problem was the lobster. Really, really undercooked. As in inedible, and, honestly, kind of nauseating. It was also a special menu (i.e. four choices) instead of the regular menu with the only beef offering being medium rare prime rib. The amuse was a cold cavier and potato concoction that I did see some people finishing, but, to us, was really offputting. (And I normally like cavier) We are also big dessert fans and the key lime pie was flavorless. (As in, close your eyes and you'd never know it was lime flavored). Pickier problems, which were really only problems on top of everything else was that the coffee was really cold when it got to us and they totally forgot to serve the salad course.

Please don't take this as an overall problem with the food. Every other meal we had was top notch, start to finish. It was just unfortunate that all of the problem courses occured in one meal at the start of the cruise.

Also, I had no idea you could switch the shower spray from overhead to nozzle. It would have certainly helped with the shampoo problem. However, I maintain that the showers are really, really small. I want to know if anyone actually shaved their legs in that shower and how they managed it! (And I'm a small person, rather flexible, person). I normally love the overhead sprays (it was like a rain shower rather than a normal showerhead), but it was really difficult to get your head out of the spray due to the size.

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

I think our bad meal was an aberation. It was, unfortunately, our first meal, so it got things off to a poor start. However, it was more than made up for my the excellent next three meals.

The biggest problem was the lobster. Really, really undercooked. As in inedible, and, honestly, kind of nauseating. It was also a special menu (i.e. four choices) instead of the regular menu with the only beef offering being medium rare prime rib. The amuse was a cold cavier and potato concoction that I did see some people finishing, but, to us, was really offputting. (And I normally like cavier) We are also big dessert fans and the key lime pie was flavorless. (As in, close your eyes and you'd never know it was lime flavored). Pickier problems, which were really only problems on top of everything else was that the coffee was really cold when it got to us and they totally forgot to serve the salad course.

Please don't take this as an overall problem with the food. Every other meal we had was top notch, start to finish. It was just unfortunate that all of the problem courses occured in one meal at the start of the cruise.

Also, I had no idea you could switch the shower spray from overhead to nozzle. It would have certainly helped with the shampoo problem. However, I maintain that the showers are really, really small. I want to know if anyone actually shaved their legs in that shower and how they managed it! (And I'm a small person, rather flexible, person). I normally love the overhead sprays (it was like a rain shower rather than a normal showerhead), but it was really difficult to get your head out of the spray due to the size.

I, too, am on the small(er) size and when I dropped my washcloth, I wasn't sure I would have the room to pick it up. I did---barely (no word play intended). Besides fearing that cold water would come out of the overhead shower spray, I feared not being able to breathe when it was on. Next time I am on Marina, I will have to try it. I liked the shower better than the ones with the plastic curtains! However, like others, I wish the shower wand was on a slider rather than in a fixed holder.

DH had a bad experience in Polo on the first night of the Maiden Voyage cruise. He had surf and turf. The lobster was nearly raw. He sent it back and they overcooked the SAME lobster and it was tough and shriveled by this time (since it was partially cooked, cooled and then recooked). My whole lobster dinner was perfect. I think his dinner was an aberration because we have eaten in Polo lots of times before and after and everything was perfect.

DH also had a bad experience at Red Ginger. He cannot eat nuts, seeds (diverticulitis) or sweets (diabetic). He told the waitress upon ordering. Everything came out with sesame seeds or chopped peanuts and his meat had a teriyaki sauce. The waitress was extremely apologetic and she went out of her way to have the items reordered without the forbidden items on it. I didn't eat my green tea ice cream because it was too airy. The waitress asked why and insisted on bringing me another dessert. I was too full to order anything else. But her concern for her patrons was commendable. We tried to go back another night to see if our experience would be better, but the restaurant was waitlisted. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and the environment is gorgeous. We'll definitely try it again on our next voyage.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but you can get a surf and turf "burger" out at the Waves Grill. It comes with truffle-seasoned french fries.

All in all, the maiden voyage was excellent. A little glitch here and there but that is to be expected.

DH also had a bad experience at Red Ginger. He cannot eat nuts, seeds (diverticulitis) or sweets (diabetic).

You should have it put on your file about his dietary restrictions then speak to the Maitre'D when you board.

They will give you a menu the night before so you check off the dishes your hubby wants & they will make it without the offending seeds/nuts.

Our friend has a nut allergy & that is what they did for him

Can you explain

I didn't eat my green tea ice cream because it was too airy.

What does that mean? I was going to ordered it

Lyn

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but you can get a surf and turf "burger" out at the Waves Grill. It comes with truffle-seasoned french fries.

I may add there's also Kobe beef burger. But I liked the surf and turf way more.

Thank you for the answers.

Glad to hear that the one bad meal was an aberration.

I'll have to see how the shower will work out (normally I really like rain showers).

The green tea ice cream wasn't dense. It seemed like it had a lot of air whipped into it. I'm a green tea ice cream aficionado and this one wasn't good. I wrote this on my comment card and if others did too, maybe they'll change the supplier by the time you go there!

I really enjoyed their shrimp eggroll appetizer. Nice and crisp with good flavor!!

You should have it put on your file about his dietary restrictions then speak to the Maitre'D when you board.

They will give you a menu the night before so you check off the dishes your hubby wants & they will make it without the offending seeds/nuts.

Our friend has a nut allergy & that is what they did for him

Lyn

Thanks. Great advice!

The green tea ice cream wasn't dense. It seemed like it had a lot of air whipped into it. I'm a green tea ice cream aficionado and this one wasn't good. I wrote this on my comment card and if others did too, maybe they'll change the supplier by the time you go there!

Thanks

I have never had it before

will let you know if I like it ;)

Lyn

Senior citizen, no supplier as all the ice cream on board Oceania is made right there and then and is usually wonderful. Sorry you did not enjoy yours.

Thanks. I think I heard before that they made their own ice cream---but I wasn't sure about this new flavor. I usually don't eat any of their ice cream because I save my calories for their incredible creme brulee. However, I did break down and have a four scoop strawberry milkshake which was very good. I "saved" calories by telling them not to finish it off with whipped cream---but that was after they squirted the sides with strawberry syrup to make a lovely presentation.

Now I am in trouble for my port-intensive Marina cruise. I will start making excuses to come back to the ship early!!:)

Did I read somewhere that the Waves Grill stays open later in the day on Marina? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Did I read somewhere that the Waves Grill stays open later in the day on Marina? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

They are open till 4 on the R ships

Maybe someone will comment on the Marina hours

We will boarding soon ;)

Lyn

Waves Grill is open until 4 P.M. on Marina too.

There is the Surf & Turf sandwich noted above (half a lobster tail on top of about a 1" filet mignon) and there is a Kobe beef burger my husband raved about as well!

And it's only steps to the ice cream station for milkshakes, malts, smoothies - oh, my.

Good thing I didn't schedule a B2B cruise after the maiden voyage. They'd have to roll me off the ship! Kay

My problem is that we have no sea days on our next cruise so I was hoping that we could have a late lunch at Waves Grill (at around 5 PM!).

It is tough to get my husband up and about before 8 AM (he still works full-time) on his annual vacation but once we hit dry land at port, we usually are among the last back on board!:)

Oh, well, it's nice to have such problems.

Archived