Would you compare Tuscan Grill to Chops on RCCL?

BroncosFan2010

We have dined at all 3 specialty restaurants within the past year and would rate Tuscan Grill first, then Chops, then Portofino's. All 3 venues were excellent but the service and food at the Tuscan was just a step up.

Having enjoyed Chops so much on RCCL I am wondering how would you compare Tuscan Grill to Chops on RCCL? Or even Portofino.

We very much enjoyed Chops and Portofino on our last Royal Caribbean Cruise, but IMHO Tuscan Grille is hands down a better steakhouse. Great menu, superior steak quality, superior ambiance (overlooking the wake of the ship), and impeccable service. My vote goes to Tuscan Grille over Chops or Portofino. The real question is whether Tuscan Grille is better than Prime C on Azamara. We loved them both!

Tuscan Grille is kind of like a blend of RCI's Chops and Portofino. While Chops is fairly similar to a typical American steakhouse (i.e. it could be compared to Ruth Chris, Mortons etc. in terms of the menu) Tuscan Grille is an Italian style steakhouse. You don't have quite as many different meat options as at Chops, but there are a few different options (and the quality is usually very good - at least as good as Chops), but you also have lots of Italian foods as well (i.e. pasta dishes, fried calimari, antipasto etc.).

I am happy to hear that the speciality restaurans on Celebrity are at least as good, if not a step up from RCCL (which is what I expected). My next question: Are children allowed in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity ships (Connie).

Below is the quote from their web site. I would guess they just haven't changed it since Connie received the S class makeover....

Are there age restrictions for Specialty Dining?

Subject: Specialty Dining

Yes. Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard our Solstice-class ships, children that are booked in suites that are at least 12 years old will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability only. Please note that any suite guests that dine in Blu will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest.

Hello Everyone,

To the OP, I am clearly in the minority here, but I much preferred Portofino on Liberty of the Seas over Tuscan Grille on the Eclipse. The view of the wake while dining in Tuscan Grille is much "touted" and although it does not bother me, I can see the potential for trouble if watching churning water while eating is not your thing.

While on the Eclipse my DH and I had dinner in all 3 Specialty restaurants and T/G was our least favorite. I would rate Murano, best ambiance and Qsine best overall. If the ship you intend to go on has Qsine I would choose there over T/G.

Better yet why choose? Do them all.

Best of Luck.

Samantha.

Hello OP,

Just realized you are asking about "Connie". No wake problem there. The Constellation remainds my DH's favorite ship. The PH will do that to you.

Samantha.

We found the view from the Tuscan Grille on Constellation made it much more interesting as you can watch people [passengers and staff] walking by. On one very windy night, it was fun to watch the partially secured deck loungers "dance".

Sue

I'm in the minority, but I like Chops. Don't get me wrong, TG was great and I'd eat there again, but it was way too much food. Chops is usually too much food for me as well, but I really like the side dishes that are served family style at Chops.

I also really enjoyed Chops. If we do RCCL again, we will definitely be spending a few nights there.

Archived