Respectully requesting help HAL VS OCEANIA

kazu

Hello everyone - I'm sorry, I have looked or info on the search thread and gotten no where.

Dh and I normally book deluxe verandah suites on Holland America (and will gladly take an upsell to the penthouse if offered).

Here's the thing - we've gotten a lot of brochures from Oceania and they seem nice - as long as you go the Penthouse or above and then it gets pricey.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between this and say the Prisendam on HAL (small ship).

Is the food better? Is the service really better? Can you bring wine & water on board for consumption in your suite?

Silly questions for veteran cruisers probably, but since we are considering, if you can help,I would appreciate advice as to why the price tag is higher.

Have been happy on Hal, but intrigued with a couple of cruises they are offering....thanks again. :):confused::):)

kazu,

Welcome to CC and Oceania boards.

Take a look at these threads - they might be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1342435&highlight=hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1304607&highlight=hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1309744&highlight=hal

Bottled water and sodas are complimentary. You can bring any amount of wine for consumption in your cabin (or the dining room for a corkage fee).

I think (JMO) that Oceania beats HAL hands down in every respect (with the notable exception of fairly small standard cabins & bathrooms). That has been improved on the Marina.

Of course, YMMV.

Here's the thing - we've gotten a lot of brochures from Oceania and they seem nice - as long as you go the Penthouse or above and then it gets pricey.

Try the mnew Marina ...larger cabins on the lower cabin Cat

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between this and say the Prisendam on HAL (small ship).

Is the food better? Is the service really better?

That is subjective ...we think so but have not sailed on the NEW HAL

Have been happy on Hal, but intrigued with a couple of cruises they are offering....thanks again. :):confused::):)

Try Oceania you may just become a convert ;)

We really appreciate the limited smoking policy on Oceania vs HAL. We liked HAL on the 2 cruises we took, but the smell of smoke in the corridors, people puffing away on the next balcony, and in some of the public rooms, was more than we wanted to deal with, especially when we don't have to.

I think you'll find the balcony cabins on Marina (the only one I can compare) to be very comparable to the R&S class verandahs. Marina's Penthouse suites are the only thing going to be close to the Deluxe Verandah Suite.

I think you'll actually find some similarities as I find the staff on HAL to be quite nice (especially on the smaller ships).

However, having 3 HAL cruises under my belt (Amsterdam 12d, Ryndam 10d, and Eurodam 7d) and 1 Marina Cruise...there is no comparison in the food department. Oceania wins hands down for consistent quality throughout the meal. If you are someone who enjoys quality ingredients and degrees of freshness, you'll be blown away. You'll notice differences in the buffet area that are glaringly obvious, but even more so at night.

Service was top notch on Marina (and I'm told it was actually quite creaky).

I'd say at least find an itinerary on Oceania that you can't live without and give it a try. Or if you simply want to eat your way through a cruise as though you were going to various 5 star eateries in your favorite city, then give Oceania a try.

David

Kazu, I hope you read some of the threads posted by Paulchili. There has been much discussion here lately about HAL compared to Oceania. The migration has begun!

We're 4* HAL Mariners who added Oceania to our list last year. We cruise primarily for itineraries & ports so HAL has been a logical choice with their well-planned itineraries all over the world. We prefer small to mid-sized ships and we particularly enjoy the S and R class of HAL, as well as Prinsendam. The ship is not usually our destination but we do care about the on-board experience - food, service & enrichment matter to us.

In recent years, we noticed some changes in HAL that prompted us to look at other cruise lines. We tried Oceania (felt like we were "cheating" on HAL) and we loved the experience. On the things that matter most to us, Oceania was superior to HAL. And while we paid more per diem on Oceania, we considered it fair trade for added value. Oceania has a certain something, a je ne sais quoi, that simply doesn't exist on HAL. The effect is intangible but very real.

Take a good look at those glossy brochures. They are only a preview of what you can expect on board. Oceania is a cruise line that delivers what they promise. Actually no, they under-promise and over-deliver! And by all accounts, the new Marina has upped the bar even further for Oceania and the industry at large. This is upper premium cruising at its best.

Oceania and HAL are different products. We have different expectations when we board the respective ships & we’re happy to have this choice. Based on your cruising history, I think you also would enjoy both. Give Oceania a try!

kazu,

Welcome to CC and Oceania boards.

Take a look at these threads - they might be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1342435&highlight=hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1304607&highlight=hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1309744&highlight=hal

Bottled water and sodas are complimentary. You can bring any amount of wine for consumption in your cabin (or the dining room for a corkage fee).

I think (JMO) that Oceania beats HAL hands down in every respect (with the notable exception of fairly small standard cabins & bathrooms). That has been improved on the Marina.

Of course, YMMV.

Thank you very much. These are really good threads. Much appreciated.

Kazu, I hope you read some of the threads posted by Paulchili. There has been much discussion here lately about HAL compared to Oceania. The migration has begun!

We're 4* HAL Mariners who added Oceania to our list last year. We cruise primarily for itineraries & ports so HAL has been a logical choice with their well-planned itineraries all over the world. We prefer small to mid-sized ships and we particularly enjoy the S and R class of HAL, as well as Prinsendam. The ship is not usually our destination but we do care about the on-board experience - food, service & enrichment matter to us.

In recent years, we noticed some changes in HAL that prompted us to look at other cruise lines. We tried Oceania (felt like we were "cheating" on HAL) and we loved the experience. On the things that matter most to us, Oceania was superior to HAL. And while we paid more per diem on Oceania, we considered it fair trade for added value. Oceania has a certain something, a je ne sais quoi, that simply doesn't exist on HAL. The effect is intangible but very real.

Take a good look at those glossy brochures. They are only a preview of what you can expect on board. Oceania is a cruise line that delivers what they promise. Actually no, they under-promise and over-deliver! And by all accounts, the new Marina has upped the bar even further for Oceania and the industry at large. This is upper premium cruising at its best.

Oceania and HAL are different products. We have different expectations when we board the respective ships & we’re happy to have this choice. Based on your cruising history, I think you also would enjoy both. Give Oceania a try!

Thank you Mighty Quinn. and thanks to everyone.

the threads give great insight and even refer to other threads.

This is very helpful. Really appreciate this. I too, prefer the S&R ships on HAL and trying the Prisendam for the first time.

Stupid question - are the balconies on Oceania (probably the Marina) large enough to sit on - hard to tell in the pictures?

thanks again :):)

Hi Kazu,

As far as the balcony on O go, they are much smaller than those on HAL. I seem to remember that you always book a suite on HAL. O is much smaller, inside and out. A penthouse suite on O is 321 sq feet (HAL over 550) including balcony. You can sit comfortably, but there is no extra seating as on HAL. The bathroom is also smaller on O and no extra sink. That being said, you will enjoy the experience, expecially the butler!!

Hi KAZU - We have cruised HAL a bit, too and then came over to "O" and we were converts. (Although HAL still has itineraries we want to go on) Agree with all said about bathrooms etc. But we found the country club casual and all open seating to be a real selling point on top of the excellent food, service and no up charge for premium dining venues. Fewer clothes to worry about packing. Also, if it matters, you can bring liquor on board to drink in your stateroom, something you can no longer do on HAL. We love the smaller ships but are looking forward to our Marina cruise. Even though it's a larger ship, we think it will still have the small ship feel. Go for it!

Hi Kazu,

As far as the balcony on O go, they are much smaller than those on HAL. I seem to remember that you always book a suite on HAL. O is much smaller, inside and out. A penthouse suite on O is 321 sq feet (HAL over 550) including balcony. You can sit comfortably, but there is no extra seating as on HAL. The bathroom is also smaller on O and no extra sink. That being said, you will enjoy the experience, expecially the butler!!

thanks - you have a good memory :D - I haven't figured out what I would do with a butler - but that's ok, Thanks GrammieK any information I can get so that I don't get a 'surprise' is just great. thanks again.

Hi KAZU - We have cruised HAL a bit, too and then came over to "O" and we were converts. (Although HAL still has itineraries we want to go on) Agree with all said about bathrooms etc. But we found the country club casual and all open seating to be a real selling point on top of the excellent food, service and no up charge for premium dining venues. Fewer clothes to worry about packing. Also, if it matters, you can bring liquor on board to drink in your stateroom, something you can no longer do on HAL. We love the smaller ships but are looking forward to our Marina cruise. Even though it's a larger ship, we think it will still have the small ship feel. Go for it!

Thanks Findacruise. I hate to admit it but we have never done open seating. We do fixed - we like having the same waiters every night. I think dh will enjoy not having to dress up though just because it is 'formal' night. He likes to dress up, just doesn't like being told to sometimes. and you're right, that makes a difference in the packing.

Interesting that you can bring liquor on board (not a big deal) along with wine. So, if I understand correctly, there is no need to 'smuggle' (which I abhor). thanks again. really appreciate all the words of wisdom on this board :D:D:D

It's interesting that people who book a higher level suite on a mass market ship think that the experience will be the same as on Oceania or a luxury line simply because they are in a more expensive accommodation. What makes Oceania different is what happens outside your cabin. The service. The food. The casual yet intimate atmosphere. These are what makes a cruise, not only the square footage of one's cabin.

Thanks Findacruise. I hate to admit it but we have never done open seating. We do fixed - we like having the same waiters every night. I think dh will enjoy not having to dress up though just because it is 'formal' night. He likes to dress up, just doesn't like being told to sometimes. and you're right, that makes a difference in the packing.

Interesting that you can bring liquor on board (not a big deal) along with wine. So, if I understand correctly, there is no need to 'smuggle' (which I abhor). thanks again. really appreciate all the words of wisdom on this board :D:D:D

Yes, yes and yes.

You can have the same waiter even with open seating 90% of the time - just come early and ask for his/her table.

It is very nice to be able to dress in nice casual vs formal all the time/anytime

You do not have to smuggle alcohol on board.

Hello again Kazu,

In case you haven't figured out yet what to do with a butler, let me offer some suggestions.

1. make specialty restaurant reservations.

2. make spa appointment.

3. bring you wonderful snacks every afternoon (no Neptune lounge)

4. take your laundry, pressing, etc

5. I saved the best for last. Serve you dinner in your suite, course by course, from any restaurant you choose. That is my MOST favorite thing to do, especially after a long day touring.

I'm sure there are other tasks they will perform, but I hit the hilights. It is almost like having your own Neptune Lounge Concierge and then some!

Which cruise are you considering?

K

Hi Kazu,

Marina changed those numbers. O has plenty of room on Marina Balconies..however, I think the deluxe verandah suites on HAL are still some of the roomiest afloat.

Hello again Kazu,

In case you haven't figured out yet what to do with a butler, let me offer some suggestions.

2. make spa appointment.

5. I saved the best for last. Serve you dinner in your suite, course by course, from any restaurant you choose. That is my MOST favorite thing to do, especially after a long day touring.

I'm sure there are other tasks they will perform, but I hit the hilights. It is almost like having your own Neptune Lounge Concierge and then some!

K

thanks you have put that in perspective for me now. seriously. we are looking at a couple that have interesting ports. so laundry is free then? I couldn't find that in the brochure - provided you do the suites? thanks again - you are a boon. :):)

thanks you have put that in perspective for me now. seriously. we are looking at a couple that have interesting ports. so laundry is free then? I couldn't find that in the brochure - provided you do the suites? thanks again - you are a boon. :):)

Laundry is not Free they will give you a limited number free pressings

Hello again Kazu,

2. make spa appointment.

K

GrammieK, stuipid question, but you obviously know HAL.

I can get course by coure dining now on HAl in my suite -is it a big difference from the restaurant of your choice and the MDR on HAL?

Just asking (please - no flames about people who book suites - one is enough:eek:)

It's interesting that people who book a higher level suite on a mass market ship think that the experience will be the same as on Oceania or a luxury line simply because they are in a more expensive accommodation. What makes Oceania different is what happens outside your cabin. The service. The food. The casual yet intimate atmosphere. These are what makes a cruise, not only the square footage of one's cabin.

I was going to bypass this post but I don't understand the comment. We are fairly well travelled an have another of cruises under our belt.

why wouldn't certain amenities go with booking a more expensive accomodation. We are not snobs. We just like the space and the things that go with it.

We don't like small spaces. We like big balconies and we like to be comfortable. So, i guess the difference on HAL is if you book the higher end suites, you are cared for and on Oceania not. the food, etc. is the same on every cruise line (except Cunard) no matter what category you are in. so is the atmosphere. (so, I guess HAL won on this one with this comment)

and, I really don't see the Prisendam as a mass market line - how may people are on the Marina?

anyways, I will thank you for your post, even though it was a bit discouraging and perhaps? not intentionally antagonistic to people who want space.

I don't want to spend all my time on the deck or the lido or by the pool. We happen to enjoy our balcony and our room. We tend to do either a lot of days at sea with interesing ports or meds with a transatlantic after - so room is important to us - personal preference

thanks just the same for your help :rolleyes:

Kazu, there are those of us who prefer O who agree with you. DH and myself tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin as opposed to playing bingo or whatever, certainly we don't hang out by the pool, and space is important to us.

I haven't traveled on HAL so I'm not trying to bring it into the equation -- although I do remember 11 years ago when DH asked a fellow passenger on a Renaissance cruise whether he preferred HAL to Ren. Back then, he enjoyed Ren but felt that HAL was a more upscale experience.

But I would say that you don't need to apologize for preferring more room! I find that the PH verandas are sufficient for us -- although we couldn't hold a cocktail party out there! On the one occasion when we had an owner's suite (and another when we had a vista), we delighted in the extra room on the veranda. It was so nice to have space for a meal out there without feeling squeezed. But if I just want to sit on the veranda to read (and maybe have a cocktail), the PH veranda is just fine.

Different strokes for different folks.

Kazu, there are those of us who prefer O who agree with you. DH and myself tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin as opposed to playing bingo or whatever, certainly we don't hang out by the pool, and space is important to us.

I haven't traveled on HAL so I'm not trying to bring it into the equation -- although I do remember 11 years ago when DH asked a fellow passenger on a Renaissance cruise whether he preferred HAL to Ren. Back then, he enjoyed Ren but felt that HAL was a more upscale experience.

But I would say that you don't need to apologize for preferring more room! I find that the PH verandas are sufficient for us -- although we couldn't hold a cocktail party out there! On the one occasion when we had an owner's suite (and another when we had a vista), we delighted in the extra room on the veranda. It was so nice to have space for a meal out there without feeling squeezed. But if I just want to sit on the veranda to read (and maybe have a cocktail), the PH veranda is just fine.

Different strokes for different folks.

thank you for understanding. we were looking at PH, but it will be a lot smaller than a deluxe verandah on HAl but the others are pretty out of sight - and thanks for the info on the PH - much appreciated and appreciate for not being flamed for my comments.

thank you again :):) I really appreciate not being flamed :D

Hi Kazu,

Sorry if I mislead you re: laundry. What I meant to say was the butler will pick it up for you himself (and he looks so cute in his tails).

What stands out in my mind about being served in the suite on O was first of all - the quality of the food, better than any I have ever had on HAL and then the flair with which it is served. Every course - fresh and hot - every course cleared away and another brought. The butler even returns to refill your wine glass (the big beautiful ones from the restaurant). When we have ordered from Toscana, the butler brings the olive oil menu and the big chunks of freshly shaved Parmiagiana cheese...oh no, I am making myself salivate!

I should have pointed out that I have not been on Marina yet, very few have and my O experiences are related to the R class ship - 684 passengers.

And, by the way, space is important to me also, which is the main reason we always book a PH . Thanks for stating your point so eloquently!

K

Archived